Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
100 Years Ago
Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: April 6, 2020 07:40

I was just listening to this song. I have always loved it, a great tune I believe.

Anyway, as my mind wondered off I thought: 1962-2062 will be 100 years for the band.

There may be some of us here (in their 20s, 30s, even 40s...maybe early 50s) who WILL BE AROUND for the 100th Anniversary!!

I thought, how cool would that be? Some of us (not me) will be able to tell their kids and grand kids...'I saw that band, 100 years ago. They were the best *$&^% band ever!'

Who here may make it to 2062? And your thoughts?

smileys with beer

Re: 100 Years Ago
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 6, 2020 07:49

eeeerrrr well there's a chance but there'd
have to be major advancements in medicine and walking canes …

ROCKMAN

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: April 6, 2020 08:31

It is a great tune.

I’ll need the Tardis to make it though.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 6, 2020 08:35

StonedAsiaExile
I was just listening to this song. I have always loved it, a great tune I believe.

Anyway, as my mind wondered off I thought: 1962-2062 will be 100 years for the band.

There may be some of us here (in their 20s, 30s, even 40s...maybe early 50s) who WILL BE AROUND for the 100th Anniversary!!

Who here may make it to 2062? And your thoughts?

Because he's the youngest, Ronnie is the only one I imagine that could somehow still be around...

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: April 6, 2020 08:42

I was just thinking about this tune the other day. Seems like 100 years ago that it came out. Song is haunting.

jb

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 6, 2020 08:57

Maybe Keith will do a small club gig to remember all of us and the band.
Seriously, I still maintain that album is a masterpiece, the feeling you get listening to those songs.
Winter, Coming Down Again, 100 years ago,it just takes you somewhere.there is no other album quite like it.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: April 6, 2020 11:07

lem motlow
Seriously, I still maintain that album is a masterpiece, the feeling you get listening to those songs.
Winter, Coming Down Again, 100 years ago,it just takes you somewhere.there is no other album quite like it.

Ot tis a great record. Coming Down Again is my second fave Keith song just after You Got The Silver.

‘Slipped my tongue in someone else’s pie.’ What a line!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-06 11:17 by StonedAsiaExile.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 6, 2020 11:25

StonedAsiaExile
lem motlow

Ot tis a great record. Coming Down Again is my second fave Keith song just after You Got The Silver.

‘I stuck my tongue in someone else’s pie.’ What a line!!!

Yes, and a very crafty one, he’s talking about screwing producer Jimmy Miller’s wife, which he most definitely did.
When I tell people the Keith I grew up idolizing was a dirtbag they actually think I’m insulting him. Sorry but back then words like morality didn’t come up much and if they did.. well it was kinda graded on a curve.

Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: April 6, 2020 11:51

Great album.
Maybe Best mood ever.

Mick Taylor is youngest Rolling Stones ever. He would be 113 old 2062.

I would be 83 years old yhen.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 6, 2020 12:32

StonedAsiaExile
lem motlow

Ot tis a great record. Coming Down Again is my second fave Keith song just after You Got The Silver.So is Happy ,Slipping Away , Thru and Thru and The Worst .But those are just the songs he sings lead vocals.Gimme Shelter ,etc., etc.

‘Slipped my tongue in someone else’s pie.’ What a line!!!

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 6, 2020 12:39

One of their finest songs, how I wish they would play it live next year along with Coming Down Againsmileys with beer

Date: April 6, 2020 12:57

Unfortunately there are only 2 live version, very bad sound quality. Keith is almost inaudible. I would like to hear what he played since he doesn't play guitar on the studio version. But even then the band kicked arse live, the second part with Bill and Charlie in particular.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: April 6, 2020 14:30

Magnificent song from one of their best albums.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: April 6, 2020 16:07

TheflyingDutchman
Unfortunately there are only 2 live version, very bad sound quality. Keith is almost inaudible. I would like to hear what he played since he doesn't play guitar on the studio version. But even then the band kicked arse live, the second part with Bill and Charlie in particular.

You can hear him clearly on the rehearsals (Goodnight Vienna is what I have)for the ‘73 tour. He just plays basic overdriven chords.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: April 6, 2020 16:08

lem motlow
StonedAsiaExile
lem motlow

Yes, and a very crafty one, he’s talking about screwing producer Jimmy Miller’s wife, which he most definitely did.
When I tell people the Keith I grew up idolizing was a dirtbag they actually think I’m insulting him. Sorry but back then words like morality didn’t come up much and if they did.. well it was kinda graded on a curve.

Not to get off track, but where did you hear that?

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 6, 2020 16:53

Bassey and Griptite, do a great acoustic cover of 100 years ago.Very different than the Stones own great one

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: April 6, 2020 16:58

TravelinMan
lem motlow
StonedAsiaExile
lem motlow

Not to get off track, but where did you hear that?

I didn't know that detail either but I did argue somewhere else on this board that the reason that Keith never wanted to play Coming Down Again live was because of the delicate subject. I have no idea where I got that rumour from though, I think Keith mentioned it very briefly in an interview or so.
100 Years Ago has always been in my top ten of Stones songs (of course there's dozens of them in my top ten smiling smiley

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 6, 2020 20:30

This song seems to fit current times - in an eerie way

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: April 6, 2020 20:39

An absolute classic.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: April 6, 2020 21:16

lem motlow

Agreed it is a masterpiece I find myself listing to this album alot... and Hide your Love... Frickin love it !

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 6, 2020 21:22

Date: April 6, 2020 21:39

KRiffhard
[youtu.be]

Awriiiight! It doesn't look that hard to play even. But to come up with the right notes... I never even tried my hand at it.
I always think that that clavinet (?) part in the second section would sound cool on guitar as well. Matter of fact, for years I thought that it WAS a guitar...

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: April 7, 2020 05:03

SomeGuy
KRiffhard
[youtu.be]

Awriiiight! It doesn't look that hard to play even. But to come up with the right notes... I never even tried my hand at it.
I always think that that clavinet (?) part in the second section would sound cool on guitar as well. Matter of fact, for years I thought that it WAS a guitar...

And then there's the drums....

Date: April 7, 2020 08:10

Here's the track talk for 100 Years Ago: [iorr.org]

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 7, 2020 17:36

Highly overrated! An average track, possibly my least favorite on the album.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: April 7, 2020 18:11

I will be 104 yes I will definitely be alive and I will go to the Hologram gig as well!

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: April 7, 2020 18:23

exhpart
I will be 104 yes I will definitely be alive and I will go to the Hologram gig as well!

And Ronnie's hologram solo will still not be up to Taylor's hologram solo!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 7, 2020 19:32

exhpart
exhpart

And Ronnie's hologram solo will still not be up to Taylor's hologram solo!

I'll be a ripe and sprightly 99 yrs. old jumping and shouting and still whining about the ticket prices and setlist!
As long as they play Midnight Rambler, it's all good.

Date: April 7, 2020 22:53

...not to mention being 98 and anxiously having checked this site daily in my wheelchair for news on that new record for half a century.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 7, 2020 23:17

Today, 100 Years Ago . no matter how great proven, is not appropriate- The Spanish Flu Killed 500,000, 000 same time period. That is why called eerie - in earlier post

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1662
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home