Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 26
Re: The Rolling Stones and their future
Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: May 15, 2020 00:31

loog droog
pftw04

After death of Brian, came the killer guitarist Mick Taylor, who has transformed the STONES to different level.

Methinks the Stones were already at that different level beginning with Jumpin' Jack Flash, then Beggars Banquet and the bulk of Let It Bleed recorded even before Taylor came on board,

I like Mick Taylor, but he was just one facet of the group at a high point.

The high point live, was when Taylor joined, taking it to another level. Keith could relax and do his thing with total confidence. And the whole unit yelled to create the Greatest R&R B ITW.

Regarding their future ..... there will be vaccine. I can't see 3 saying yes and Charlie saying no.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 15, 2020 01:32

Four Stone Walls
loog droog
pftw04

After death of Brian, came the killer guitarist Mick Taylor, who has transformed the STONES to different level.

Methinks the Stones were already at that different level beginning with Jumpin' Jack Flash, then Beggars Banquet and the bulk of Let It Bleed recorded even before Taylor came on board,

I like Mick Taylor, but he was just one facet of the group at a high point.

The high point live, was when Taylor joined, taking it to another level. Keith could relax and do his thing with total confidence. And the whole unit yelled to create the Greatest R&R B ITW.

Regarding their future ..... there will be vaccine. I can't see 3 saying yes and Charlie saying no.

If the vaccine doesn't come quickly and Charlie is now 80 years old, I could TOTALLY see Charlie saying no...at least to a tour.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 15, 2020 01:34

I hope for an album

I doubt another tour will happen ever again.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 15, 2020 05:59

If the Stones return to the stage they should just name it "Rolling Stones 100 Years" come whatever

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 15, 2020 06:33

The "old blues men" "did it" mostly because they needed the money, in some cases desperately. I don't think the Stones have that particular problem. You got to remember, as you get older, every moment is one more moment closer to the inevitable, and you don't really want to waste those moments out on the road unless its something you really really want to do. I can see it not being, something they really really want to do. Instead it might be decided to use the remaining minutes with the family and friends and maybe low key, low impact performances like we have seen recently.

jb

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 15, 2020 06:39

nd maybe low key, low impact performances like we have seen recently.

Well us fans are all getting a little long in the tooth too
and doubt anyone wants ta live thru another Altamont kinda show .....

ROCKMAN

Date: May 15, 2020 06:43

That's exactly what I mean, Rockman, thank you.

jb

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 15, 2020 06:52

Although Harley would love another Stones out door show ...

ROCKMAN

Date: May 15, 2020 07:21

Well I was about to write in my last post, I was at Altamont this past December just to look around and I thought to myself, would I want to relive that day if I could? Probably wouldn't make it past the Jefferson Airplane. Though truth be told, it was a pretty good day for 9/10s of the audience. The only problem I really saw was some guy kicked an Angels bike over and the 81 did what it is they are known to do. Personally when I saw that dude do that, I just thought to myself, theres someone with a death wish. So I wandered on off...

I guess if the Rolling Stones were in the area for a free show these days, I would indeed probably try to be there though. Pretty much for sure. And if it turned out the stage was a foot off the ground and there were doggies wandering around, it might still work out better than that day back then. I know I went to many Grateful Dead (etc) experiences like that with zero problem other than having to work the next day.

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-15 07:23 by jbwelda.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 15, 2020 20:06

stickyfingers101
I hope for an album

I doubt another tour will happen ever again.

They will tour again. But it will very likely be the last one, since the 2020 leg was to be the last for NO FILTER and the next one in 2021, supposedly, for the new LP. All based on what Mick said about the new album being the last new thing from the Stones, which seemed to hint at them coming to a close with the tour, which is easy to surmise would end sometime in the summer of 2022, giving them... kind of ridiculous but at the same time pretty amazing, actually.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: May 16, 2020 10:49

Are the Beach Boys still a going concern?

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 16, 2020 18:53

If no vaccine is found, there will never be another tour simply because no insurance company in its right mind would cover the Stones at their ages.

Date: May 16, 2020 19:03

The Stones health is not the major concern. They can afford the best medical attention in the case they came down with something, plus they are as insulated and isolated as they care to be. It is the FANS and workers in the places they fans gather who are most at risk. The Rolling Stones do not even mix with the great unwashed so very little chance they would be exposed to anything if they choose not to be.

And don't hold your breath on an effective safe vaccine for at least a couple of years. It just doesn't work like that no matter what the chump in charge may hope for. Listen to the science and its practitioners, not the politicians/folly-ticians or others with vested interests in making people think they are "safe". There is no such thing as "safe" and never has been.

jb

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: May 16, 2020 19:09

jbwelda
The Stones health is not the major concern. They can afford the best medical attention in the case they came down with something, plus they are as insulated and isolated as they care to be. It is the FANS and workers in the places they fans gather who are most at risk. The Rolling Stones do not even mix with the great unwashed so very little chance they would be exposed to anything if they choose not to be.

And don't hold your breath on an effective safe vaccine for at least a couple of years. It just doesn't work like that no matter what the chump in charge may hope for. Listen to the science and its practitioners, not the politicians/folly-ticians or others with vested interests in making people think they are "safe". There is no such thing as "safe" and never has been.

jb

It's impossible for them to totally isolate themselves. And with more resources put towards a vaccine you can expect faster results. There are already some human trials taking place. I think the bigger question is why should they tour? There is no point, and it could be embarrassing. They can play music in a small club if they want to and leave it at that.

Date: May 16, 2020 22:28

> And with more resources put towards a vaccine you can expect faster results.

That is the anti-science we are currently being deluded by.

>There are already some human trials taking place.

The purpose of tests and trials is to fail. Especially in groundbreaking discoveries. That is the simple fact of science. These trials generally take on the order of several years to actually prove anything "safe". So, don't hold your breath.

Totally agree on the why part and also would be great if they were to restrict themselves to small gigs, but that neither addresses nor diminishes the threat of infection. Probably increases the threat because they would be in closer contact with strangers.

jb

Date: May 17, 2020 05:33

jbwelda
> And with more resources put towards a vaccine you can expect faster results.

That is the anti-science we are currently being deluded by.

>There are already some human trials taking place.

The purpose of tests and trials is to fail. Especially in groundbreaking discoveries. That is the simple fact of science. These trials generally take on the order of several years to actually prove anything "safe". So, don't hold your breath.

Totally agree on the why part and also would be great if they were to restrict themselves to small gigs, but that neither addresses nor diminishes the threat of infection. Probably increases the threat because they would be in closer contact with strangers.

jb

I'm just a layperson for the issue of developing a vaccination. But necessity is the mother of invention. Let's take a guess that there are 100 times the resources being put into this project as compared to a typical development process for a vaccination. So I am trying to be optimistic. That proportion of the world that does not have a proper medical infrastructure could be in real peril as the Western countries are coming out of the pandemic. It would be nice if a vaccine was ready to avert a total disaster in the have-not countries.

The Rolling Stones taking on a model like Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings would be great. Do a couple of weeks in the UK at a place that holds just 250 people. And then six months later do the same thing in the United States. Just do it for the sheer fun of it and drop the super giant 21st century video screens. Just try to have some fun instead of "putting on a performance." It's kind of tough though because Keith has to be sharp. If he can't really play it can't be hidden in a bar band format.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 17, 2020 15:29

MileHigh

It's kind of tough though because Keith has to be sharp. If he can't really play it can't be hidden in a bar band format.

Not to really speak against, but is it necessarily so? I mean, just thinking of the situation of Keith hitting a riff or a chord in the context of massive loudspeaker system thundering all over the place and 50 000 people listening to him, can he really be that hidden? I would think that in the context of radically smaller place one could be more relaxed.

- Doxa

Date: May 17, 2020 17:06

Doxa
MileHigh

It's kind of tough though because Keith has to be sharp. If he can't really play it can't be hidden in a bar band format.

Not to really speak against, but is it necessarily so? I mean, just thinking of the situation of Keith hitting a riff or a chord in the context of massive loudspeaker system thundering all over the place and 50 000 people listening to him, can he really be that hidden? I would think that in the context of radically smaller place one could be more relaxed.

- Doxa

Agreed with the more "up front guitars" and somewhat leaner approach. What I noticed once on the earlier mega tours with so much backup is that sometimes Keith would stop playing and you couldn't even tell.

Date: May 17, 2020 17:11

Doxa
MileHigh

- Doxa

Of course he can't be "hidden". He kicks off most of their songs on stage. Scarf Me Up. Nuff said smiling smiley

Date: May 17, 2020 17:59

Don't be surprised if U2 releases (another) new album before the Stones do - and they've yet to begin recording it.

Date: May 17, 2020 19:37

Green Lady
If no vaccine is found, there will never be another tour simply because no insurance company in its right mind would cover the Stones at their ages.

And if a vaccin is found, which might take at least another year, tests included, it takes a long time before mosts people are vaccinated. In that case the bigger acts and festivals will not take place before 2022. That's a realistic scenario.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: May 17, 2020 19:56

Just play all the places that have no cases. Antarctica, American Samoa, New Zealand, probably a few other remote locations. Anyone not from the area who wants to attend has to get tested before departing, arrive at least two weeks early, quarantine for two weeks, then get tested again.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 17, 2020 20:11

Javadave
Just play all the places that have no cases. Antarctica, American Samoa, New Zealand, probably a few other remote locations. Anyone not from the area who wants to attend has to get tested before departing, arrive at least two weeks early, quarantine for two weeks, then get tested again.

And if they are travelling from the UK (and some other places) they will have to do another two weeks quarantine on their return. Four weeks quarantine for one show? I don't think most fans are that dedicated.

Date: May 17, 2020 20:46

Green Lady
Javadave

]And if they are travelling from the UK (and some other places) they will have to do another two weeks quarantine on their return. Four weeks quarantine for one show? I don't think most fans are that dedicated.[/b]

If it comes with Mick Taylor era boots I'll go for it. smoking smiley

Date: May 17, 2020 20:51

Green Lady
Javadave

And if they are travelling from the UK (and some other places) they will have to do another two weeks quarantine on their return. Four weeks quarantine for one show? I don't think most fans are that dedicated.

Sitting on your fanny and watching clips on YouTube is a reasonable facsimile of a $300 ticket. That's fine by me and whatever would possibly happen in 2021 or 2022 is already sitting on YouTube if you assume that not much is going to change.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 17, 2020 21:32

I don’t think it’s realistic to expect the Rolling Stones to play to small
audiences at this point in their career unless they hooked it into a pay per
view for the rest of their fans.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: May 17, 2020 21:52

MileHigh
Green Lady
Javadave

Sitting on your fanny and watching clips on YouTube is a reasonable facsimile of a $300 ticket. That's fine by me and whatever would possibly happen in 2021 or 2022 is already sitting on YouTube if you assume that not much is going to change.

That doesn't quite duplicate the feeling of seeing them live.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: May 17, 2020 22:53

steffialicia
MileHigh
Green Lady
Javadave

You're right, but imagine me, I had to wait 8 years between 1982 and 1990 to see the Stones live again and (no video's (okay, one) no Internet, read YouTube) never had a boring moment with all the albums and singles and ... expending my collection with CDs as of 1985.
Corona sucks, but ... Keith and Mick go along fine so our patience will be rewarded ... maybe.
smileys with beer

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 18, 2020 02:11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-18 02:15 by Rokyfan.

Date: May 18, 2020 02:11

georgie48
steffialicia
MileHigh
Green Lady
Javadave

You're right, but imagine me, I had to wait 8 years between 1982 and 1990 to see the Stones live again and (no video's (okay, one) no Internet, read YouTube) never had a boring moment with all the albums and singles and ... expending my collection with CDs as of 1985.
Corona sucks, but ... Keith and Mick go along fine so our patience will be rewarded ... maybe.
smileys with beer

When I saw the Stones last year in New Orleans at one point of a few times in the beer line I heard a woman bragging to a friend 'I can just watch it on YouTube' and her friend said something I couldn't understand... and the reply was 'I've already been to 5 shows so far I don't know why I'm here' and I was a bit 'Then why ARE you herre then?' stumped. Very odd way of bragging about what I don't understand - I guess it's a complaining kind of bragging? or a I'm actually better than THIS kind of bragging? Is it a Make my friend feel special kind of bragging? It's just a show. If money is the issue then money is the issue but if you're at a Stones show and wearing a $50 t-shirt and buying beers then obviously MONEY ISN'T AN ISSUE.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1857
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home