Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526Next
Current Page: 24 of 26
Re: The Rolling Stones and their future
Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: May 7, 2023 08:45

pftw04
THE ROLLING STONES last was 2019. In 2022, it was good. But not like 2012 to 2019. Post Charlie's demise, there performance has declined a bit. In 2022, specially Mick Jagger he was not that athletic compared to 2019. Even his vocals were weak.

I think a lot here will disagree. I saw them in 2022 and they were much more energetic than 2017.

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: May 7, 2023 10:15

StonedRambler
pftw04
THE ROLLING STONES last was 2019. In 2022, it was good. But not like 2012 to 2019. Post Charlie's demise, there performance has declined a bit. In 2022, specially Mick Jagger he was not that athletic compared to 2019. Even his vocals were weak.

I think a lot here will disagree. I saw them in 2022 and they were much more energetic than 2017.

Agreed and also, Keith was very good.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: May 7, 2023 10:35

tiffanyblu
StonedRambler
pftw04

Agreed Keith was very good, especially at the end in Berlin, but Ronnie and Mick were struggling, hanging on rather than enjoying their performances through 2022.
Watch some footage from 2017 and compare Mick and Ronnie to 2022, say Mick on Rambler, then watch Mick last year, a huge difference in energy and performance, he knows it himself, probably took him by surprise, like the boxer that has one fight too many, he goes to the well but its run dry.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: May 7, 2023 11:14

StonedRambler
pftw04

I saw them last year in Munich. Simply fantastic. Full power, much joy and one of the top five of my 26 Stons shows.
When I listen to the IEM recordng of Munich, I'm still thrilled. Very enjoyable.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-07 14:09 by micha063.

Date: May 7, 2023 11:15

tiffanyblu
StonedRambler
pftw04

Yes, that's truth!

Date: May 7, 2023 11:25

Well, we might have to accept, that their live shows come to an end. We allready have many reasons to be lucky and gratefull.
The Rolling Stones are and will always be The Greatest Rock'n Roll Band In The World.
Millions of people from 1962 to now have great memories and for many of us they have become a part of our lives.
The joy, the inspiration, the Rock'n Roll, the energy and so much more to share and remember.

Posted by: pftw04 ()
Date: May 7, 2023 11:29

Songs like Jumping Jack clash, a song that attracted me to THE ROLLING STONES and still attracts me was performed lot slower than 2018 or 2019 in 2022. Yes guitars powerful but vocal wise something was missing in 2022.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

First one is of 2019. Can you compare the vocal performance? Guitar wise both are strong

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: May 7, 2023 11:42

pftw04
Songs like Jumping Jack clash, a song that attracted me to THE ROLLING STONES and still attracts me was performed lot slower than 2018 or 2019 in 2022. Yes guitars powerful but vocal wise something was missing in 2022.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

First one is of 2019. Can you compare the vocal performance? Guitar wise both are strong

Yes but Mick was saving his voice in Stockholm because of the illness he had days before, and it was very obv in Stockholm.

Date: May 7, 2023 11:52

pftw04

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Exactly what i was saying, Mick just hanging on in 2022, going through the motions, desperately trying to pace himself to save energy and the vocals are weak.
Honestly don't understand why they play stadiums at this age, he would have so much more energy in a smaller venue with smaller stages.
This is why i don't understand "No Tour" because of NFL stadiums being booked up, there are other options if Mick genuinely wants to tour. Mick was determined to tour in 2021 against all the odds when he wanted to.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 7, 2023 13:26

I didn't attend any of the U.S. shows in 2019 & 2021, so my immediate points of comparison from recent years are Europe 2018 and Europe 2022.

If I compare the seven shows from 2018 (Coventry, Cardiff, London, Berlin, Marseille, Prague, Warsaw) with the five from 2022 (Munich, London twice, Vienna, and Berlin), I can honestly say that I didn't detect any significant deterioration in performance, not in Mick's singing, Ronnie & Keith's playing, Keith's singing. If anything in fact, I thought that perhaps in 2022 - they were even looking and sounding marginally better than in 2018. For my money therefore, they were still at the top of their game in 2022.

There's no point in comparing 2022 with 20 years ago, 30 years ago, etc.

But now, what with both Glimmers turning 80 this year, and the earliest possible next excursion supposedly being summer 2024, I'm not quite sure what to think about the possibility of ever seeing them live again. The best I can say is that if (for whatever reason) they never grace a stage again, those shows in 2022 are as a good a way to remember them as anyone could ever wish for ....

One thing I'm pretty confident in saying is this: I do believe that when they've gone onstage, they've always done so with the intention of giving it their all. In that respect, I would venture to say that when they themselves believe that they are no longer capable of delivering the kind of performances that they've done in the past - and that they probably still wish to put on - that will likely be the moment they call it quits !

As for when that moment might be, who's to know ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 7, 2023 14:44

They play stadiums because they sell out, at top prices. They are the most popular band in the world, when it comes to touring, ticket sales and revenue. And they love to reach out to as many fans as possible live. That is why they play stadiums.

Bjornulf

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: May 7, 2023 16:46

bv
They play stadiums because they sell out, at top prices. They are the most popular band in the world, when it comes to touring, ticket sales and revenue. And they love to reach out to as many fans as possible live. That is why they play stadiums.

For a band as big as the Stones, asking for smaller venues is just selfish as less people get the chance to see them. Sometimes we get lucky though and they include a smaller venue like Waldbühne last year.

Date: May 7, 2023 16:47

bv

Understood but the physicality of playing stadiums is becoming too great now. So better arenas than nothing, also its the travelling involved, Eric just plays 8 shows at the Albert Hall, simple, all the band can go home after the shows.
Would be a dream to see the Stones there.

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: May 7, 2023 18:25

pftw04

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Maybe better comparing my YouTube’s from the same songs from the same concerts as named here fore, but now from almost same position, almost same camera. ( and same filmer spinning smiley sticking its tongue out)

Chicago 2019
[youtu.be]

Stockholm 2022
[youtu.be]

Posted by: TooTight ()
Date: May 7, 2023 18:36

Christiaan
pftw04

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Maybe better comparing my YouTube’s from the same songs from the same concerts as named here fore, but now from almost same position, almost same camera. ( and same filmer spinning smiley sticking its tongue out)

Chicago 2019
[youtu.be]

Stockholm 2022
[youtu.be]

I think everyone can agree at their ages every year is a little different from before, but come in: one song is the opening song of opening night and the other is the 3rd to last song at the second to last show.

Date: May 7, 2023 18:44

Christiaan
pftw04

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Chicago 2019
[youtu.be]

Stockholm 2022
[youtu.be]

Edinburgh 2018
[youtu.be]

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 7, 2023 18:54

pftw04
Songs like Jumping Jack clash

That’s a great typo! smileys with beer

Date: May 7, 2023 18:58

TooTight
Christiaan
pftw04

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Chicago 2019
[youtu.be]

Stockholm 2022
[youtu.be]

I think everyone can agree at their ages every year is a little different from before, but come in: one song is the opening song of opening night and the other is the 3rd to last song at the second to last show.

I agree, I think The Rolling Stones still do a great job!! None of these versions are not great to me, they are GREAT to me!!!

Date: May 7, 2023 18:59

Christiaan
pftw04
Songs like Jumping Jack canlash, a song that attracted me to THE ROLLING STONES and still attracts me was performed lot slower than 2018 or 2019 in 2022. Yes guitars powerful but vocal wise something was missing in 2022.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Chicago 2019
[youtu.be]

Stockholm 2022
[youtu.be]

Love that you focused the camera on Keith, he owned JJF in Stockholm, thanks for posting Christiaan.

Yeah Micks a bit tired last year going through the motions towards the end of the shows, ( Just watched all the Berlin show ) as said above it's understandable he's slowing down each tour but its still the greatest show on earth.

I actually think the band sounds great last year, Steve has brought more energy to some songs and Keith was really focused last year, it still exites me to hear Keith blast his way through JJF.

Date: May 7, 2023 19:09

They'll just play songs where Mick is on guitar or piano if they need to slow it down for him

Most of us have seen this change over the years to give him a break.

Speaking of giving him a break, he is almost 80 years old and still gives a great performance. I hope I live to 80.

Date: May 7, 2023 20:48

keefriffhards

Love that you focused the camera on Keith, he owned JJF in Stockholm, thanks for posting Christiaan.

Yeah Micks a bit tired last year going through the motions towards the end of the shows, ( Just watched all the Berlin show ) as said above it's understandable he's slowing down each tour but its still the greatest show on earth.

I actually think the band sounds great last year, Steve has brought more energy to some songs and Keith was really focused last year, it still exites me to hear Keith blast his way through JJF.

This one from Brussels 2022 is exclusively Keith! As I use to focus mostly on Keith. Some people say to me there is more than Keith. Yeah I know, but I film what I see at a concert. It is my filming of my concert.
The video is not till the end of the song. I had no spare battery with me this time……
[youtu.be]

Date: May 7, 2023 21:43

Thanks Christiaan.

There isn't more than Keith, he is the show within the show, when he is ON it lifts the show to greater heights, such a shame we can't see him this year, he was back last year, really on fire by the last show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-07 21:47 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: May 7, 2023 23:50

I thought Mick and Ronnie were excellent at the shows I saw in 2021 & 2022 and seemed to be having fun too... no different than 2019. Pace picked up for 2021 & 2022 with Steve behind the kit.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 8, 2023 00:03

Future ? .... lets wait and see ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: May 8, 2023 00:58

Maybe they want to do stadiums only so now reschedule to summer 2024. Too bad bout Jaggers injury, bad timing. They are the boss and they know best and do what their doctors say.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 8, 2023 01:04

Rockman
Future ? .... lets wait and see ...

Yep, patience please, we simply don't know what's going on...

...but it's not uncommon here that in times of silence from the Stones office the usual doom prophets are on the upswing!

Date: August 15, 2023 17:42

Thought I would wake this thread up, because lets face it, we have a 123 page long thread about 2023/2024 tour plans (about which we know nothing), we have a 701 page long thread about the new album (about which in real terms we also know as good as nothing), so why not have a discussion here about "the Rolling Stones and their future". After all, we know nothing about that either.
grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley

On a slightly more serious note, I sometimes wonder whether they even bother thinking too much about "the future" in the conventional sense, i.e. in the way that perhaps we do ? I am inclined to think not. Mick possibly. Keith not, I suspect. Far too much like "life-planning" for him, I would guess he's more of a "make it up as we go along" merchant. As long as it works, and so far - it has (in a fashion) !

Anyway, in waking this thread up, I'm gonna throw my two cents worth in. I have a sense of dread, that the deafening silence as regards "official info" from "official sources" about the new album and the possibility of live performances in 2024 is actually "saying something" ! just don't know what that "something" is, but I have no reason to not be a bit puzzled, and also to not be mildly concerned ?

Anyone else suffering from a similar such bad/slightly negative vibe ?

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 15, 2023 17:53

I think a lot of us feel the same way. But I do believe there's something left in the tank.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: August 15, 2023 17:55

In response to pw: No. And I think of myself as a realist with pessimistic leanings. Gut feeling tells me the album will be released in 2023 and there will be a US/CAN summer tour in 2024. smileys with beersmoking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-15 17:57 by NashvilleBlues.

Date: August 15, 2023 18:33

frankotero
I think a lot of us feel the same way. But I do believe there's something left in the tank.

thumbs up

I would like to think that there is still something in the tank, but the continued deafening silence suggests otherwise to me ... even though I kind of dislike myself for thinking like that and saying that.

I often play that MP4 recording on my phone of Tumbling Dice at the Waldbühne on 3rd August 2022 and think to myself ......... ??? confused smiley confused smiley confused smiley Is that "a wrap" - so to say ?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526Next
Current Page: 24 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1750
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home