Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 26
Re: The Rolling Stones and their future
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 21, 2021 01:25

It’s obvious Mick and Keith don’t agree on what the album should be, or they wouldn’t have done only 1 album in 24 years.I think Mick likes to do more experimental stuff which sometimes doesn’t work and Keith wants to do r&b and some reggae.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 21, 2021 01:42

Taylor1
It’s obvious Mick and Keith don’t agree on what the album should be, or they wouldn’t have done only 1 album in 24 years.I think Mick likes to do more experimental stuff which sometimes doesn’t work and Keith wants to do r&b and some reggae.

My picture is a little different. I think they most disagree on the way of the songs are to be done. Keith wants himself to be part of the creation of the songs and the whole band to be in the studio when recording them, not just adding something to Mick's demos. The genre of the songs, be them reggae, experimential or whatever, doesn't matter. And as far as I can see Mick has agreed. Probably that's why the making of a new album has taken so long. Mick respects Keith's opinion.

I could be totally wrong, of course. smiling smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 21, 2021 02:02

black n blue
Woody has some tunes I bet. Get your act together and put and album out. Lazy guys

Yep, it's like saying to Dylan, hey 'if you got not any original ones, our boy has a few'. It's The Rolling Stones, the biggest rock band in the world, for god sakes, not any bloody Ron Wood second-rate 'wanna be a rock star' band. And its historical journey is in the shoulders of one of the greatest songwriting duos of history, with their vision and insight, not some bloody second-fiddle boy.

Probably Ronnie might sing a tune or two if Mick is too lazy? Play the drums too, like in DIRTY WORK (awfully)?

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-21 02:08 by Doxa.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: February 21, 2021 02:51

Ronnie’s solo was very enjoyable and @#$%& rocked.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: February 21, 2021 06:44

I think if Ronnie Wood has songs to offer, they ought to be judged as they would judge any other and recorded for album inclusion if they thought them up to the standard. He is, after all, a member of the Rolling Stones.

jb

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: February 21, 2021 13:11

Doxa
Send It To me
There are a fair number of artists who seem to find writing and recording rewarding enough to keep doing it without regard to commercial or cultural impact (Paul Simon, Neil Young) and others, like the Stones, who seem to need the culture and the marketplace to be interested for them to continue.

This is true indeed. One way to put it is to have an audience or not. Or to play for themselves or for the audience. The Stones always seem to have an audience in mind. They are doing it for people. Since signing with ALO, their music has done to attract big crowds, to make a difference, or a cultural impact and the marketplace, you name it. Once they tasted that apple they would not reduce their act to smaller crowds. Like Charlie once put it, nothing is more horrible than to play jazz in a small club, having an audience of couple of people, some of them your relatives. However, it was from the club circuit from where the Stones, even before ALO, understood what it is all about: to make the audience go wild, to move their asses. With ALO and record contract all of that just grew bigger, but the function remained the same: they are there to make a difference. All kind of artistic integrity or whatever is there just to serve that purpose. ALO forced Mick and Keith to write their own material because that was a necessary condition for them to survive (and pointing out that the true money is in there). They did wonderful hits when that was needed. They made wonderful albums when that was needed. There was a time when true artsitic integrity was a fundamental part of a proper rock and roll band, and of thw whole pop music business. In order to be hot you needed to release every four months a hot single or every year a new hot album. That was the nature of their game back then. Decades ago.

As far as releasing new music go, I think the biggest obstacle for the Stones being not so profilic for years (almost decades) is that there really isn't any longer such a marketplace/true interest/audience for it any longer. Surely, that's the nature of record business in genaral, but they also have their own intrinsic problems there: is not just them not to able reach new audience any longer, it is also their old audience are too spoiled by great past to attract any longer (which is natural: how the men in their senior years could actually compete with their younger selves when they were full of energy, passion and determinition, and the times were on their side). Yeah, the fans will buy out of loyalty any of their new recors, listen it a couple of times, and then - let's be honest - forget it. If the material is played in concert casual fans don't give a shit, while the loyal fans try to accept it, even though in the deep in their hearts they wish they would play something else (from the great back catalogue full of hidden gems).

I think it all boils down to fact any performer or a professional artist faces: does what I do mean something - do people actually care of what I do. Some people with ego big enough do not give a shit about it. That's the old romantic idea of artistry. They are just doing it for the sake of doing it, no matter whatever anyone thinks of it. Like their 'inner self' forces them to show artistic expression. Oh yeah. In a way a guy like Mick Jagger is more a pure artist in that sense than, say, Neil Young or Paul Simon is. Namely, he seemingly writes all the time, makes demos and whatever (since enjoying it, that is, having a natural tendency on it), but is such arrogant '@#$%&' that keeps all it with him, and releases next to nothing. Why to bother relaese anything if it doesn't mean anything? Just to show 'I am alive' or 'showing artistic integrity just in the sake of it' or 'this something I supposed to do, because I once did it for living and for survival'. Probably Mick self-esteem is not so low and his ambition and motivation is much higher. Besides, most of all, he can.

However, in regard to their legendary contemporaries who are more 'profilic', The Stones did something last year none of them could: relaesed a song that actually attracted an audience in a way that it is listened like their old hits do. That's actually a bigger achievement than releasing no matter many meaningless albums that are basically forgotten the day when they are released. I am sure that pleased very much the band itself - that people actually listen their stuff - which I hope might inspire them to release some more. (We have to also note that the last time The Stones actually released an album that turned out to be a huge commercial hit, selling in quantities no any other of their contemporaries can even imagine - doing that by a covers blues album was also a kind make good old Stonesian effort of making a difference).

The Stones are a huge, commercial pop music phemenonen, probably the biggest rock band ever, not any avantgarde act by any means. I think the problem is that many of us fans tend to see the band as some kind of avantgarde act, just out there from an artistic inspiration, not what it actually is. I guess it much easier to be diehard fan for a lesser act (as a huge Dylan fan I know it personally).

It's only rock'n'roll.

- Doxa

Wow, what a post!

One most simplified reading in short: It is all about how the two separate parts of the Jagger/ Richard team - in their authorship of songs and albums as well as selection jury - somehow consider the various aspects of the reception to their music.

Edit: Many hours later I read in the New album thread that Doxa himself referred to Mick's reaction to the reception of ABB. If I had known then, I would have abstained from this post, once again apparently coping a term from another poster, now even from Doxa addressed to Doxa himself.(Embararassed)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-21 22:43 by Witness.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 21, 2021 16:38

It is probably a complicated situation as to why they put out one bad album in 24 years. On the one hand , there isn't much commercial incentive to do an album because they don't sell that much compared to the hundreds of million s they have made touring in the last 24 years. Maybe Mick has some artist block and wants to preserve the artistic legacy of the Stones by not putting out inferior songs. Then it might be also he doesnot get along with Keith. He seems more comfortable writing with people like Dave Stewart or Matt Clifford.Supposedly he fought with Keith during the recording of Bridges to Babylon because he wanted to experiment more. Keith strikes me as wanting to stay within the boundaries of r&b and other tried and true Stones music. He said he hate tape loops and synths.Mick maybe finds that boring and redundant But they both apparently love playing live so that is what they have been doing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-21 16:40 by Taylor1.

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: February 21, 2021 17:11

ALO Andrew Loog Oldham

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-21 17:15 by Christiaan.

Predictions
Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: June 13, 2021 14:55

Maybe in the fall there will be the NA gigs of 2019 rescheduled, and next year an European and UK Tour for 60 Anniversary...What about a new studio album?It will come next spring with European Tour?And then...After next year European Tour, they'll stop as a band or there are some possibility of more gigs in NA(Cities of 2018 Tour...), Australia, Japan and more European countries in 2023?!
What are your predictions about a new studio album issue and more Tour after Europe 2022?!

Re: Predictions
Posted by: cimaz ()
Date: June 13, 2021 15:07

They are ageing. Every year counts for more than one. We will have ti remenber for the shows from 2017 to 2019 and some of them were pretty good for over 70 years old rockers. What can we expect now ?

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 13, 2021 17:29

I think they will try to make up the American dates. But after that I believe there's only one off concerts for special occasions. After all this time off they might have learned to enjoy it like many others. Besides aging maybe this will cause a change too.

Date: June 13, 2021 18:07

They're booking European stadiums for spring/summer next year...

Date: June 13, 2021 18:09

We'll get a new last studio album next year?!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 13, 2021 18:30

mailexile67

We'll get a new last studio album next year?!

Better a new last studio album than a umpteenth (boring) compilation next year for the 60th anniversary .... winking smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 13, 2021 18:38

My prediction? They’ll do something.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 13, 2021 18:41

I've heard that it's a wise decision to take one year at a time when you're 80.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 13, 2021 19:15

It isn't over

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 13, 2021 19:25

Charlie in early 2018: "I don't know what I would do if I stopped." .... "I love playing the drums, and I love playing with Mick and Keith and Ronnie." - [www.TheGuardian.com] .

Date: June 13, 2021 19:57

mailexile67
They're booking European stadiums for spring/summer next year...
Is this wishful thinking or are you certain that’s what’s happening?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-13 20:33 by SonofHarlemShuffler.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: June 13, 2021 20:09

Big Al
My prediction? They’ll do something.

You were just ahead of me, Bi Al grinning smiley
For sure they will. With a year and half of corona uncertainties behind us, we by now should know that it's all a matter of patience winking smiley
The Stones will not let themselves be tempted into hurriedly decided moves on live shows. They will listen to advice from many angles. Too much at stake here.

Also, Ronnie needs enough time to grow his hair back to Stones level grinning smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: June 13, 2021 20:16

Vegas Golden knights in 5 games over
Montreal. Stones will tour this fall.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 13, 2021 22:34

If the past is any indication, they'll want to do something big for their 60th Anniversary in 2022. (Damn, it's almost here). Maybe that's when we'll FINALLY get Knebworth, or another European '76 gig. I'm squeezing my tiny brain and can't think of what ABKCO could be holding back from the 60s. Releasing another 'remaster' with no bonus songs won't cut it.

A recent photo I saw of Charlie, I'm assuming around his 80th birthday, looks like we might get two more tours, the U.S. and Europe.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 13, 2021 22:43

Unless there is a health issue a 60th Anniversary is baked in the cake. It WILL be the last time, in terms of tours, 2022.

After that I agree you'll get special shows...maybe mini-tours but it'll be more of, "you want to see us, come here.", which they've definitely earned many times over.

So if they're coming ANYWHERE near you now's definitely the time. As far as a new album...if they do release something it should come out pretty quick I would think. If they haven't been able to put an album together with all the material they've already recorded, and parts they could have recorded long distance, in the last 15-16 months, we're not getting one.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: June 14, 2021 05:50

A Las Vegas residency with whomever else is also in town doing a residency as guest stars performing with the Stones every other night. Imagine Carlos, Fogerty, Elton, Rod, Cher and, my gawd almighty, Celine Dion and Britney gettin' down with the Stones. For moi, having Penn and Teller open the show and going, hocus pocus/abracadabra, the Stones then appearing on stage as if through magical transportation, kickin' out the jams, would be one heckuva show. I know, crazy, but if we're predicting...why not? Isn't predicting a guess at the future?

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 14, 2021 06:06

I cannot see anyone but possibly Mick being up for that scene, a residency in Vegas. Why in the heck would Keef for one want to do that? At their ages, I don't see the attraction for them, again, possible exception being Mick.

jb

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: June 14, 2021 06:22

jbwelda
I cannot see anyone but possibly Mick being up for that scene, a residency in Vegas. Why in the heck would Keef for one want to do that? At their ages, I don't see the attraction for them, again, possible exception being Mick.

jb
Ron Wood would up for Vegas. All or most of the supporting musicians too. If for no other reason that they need the money after their Covid dry spell of a year plus. Charlie and Keith will not be enthused. Though Keith always has the option of flying private jet back to Connecticut between performances. He has done this previously.

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: June 14, 2021 07:01

dmay
A Las Vegas residency with whomever else is also in town doing a residency as guest stars performing with the Stones every other night. Imagine Carlos, Fogerty, Elton, Rod, Cher and, my gawd almighty, Celine Dion and Britney gettin' down with the Stones. For moi, having Penn and Teller open the show and going, hocus pocus/abracadabra, the Stones then appearing on stage as if through magical transportation, kickin' out the jams, would be one heckuva show. I know, crazy, but if we're predicting...why not? Isn't predicting a guess at the future?

LOL, Celine & Mick belting out a love song together while this time, Keith is the one taking a bathroom break.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 14, 2021 13:05

They have not played together and in-person for a long time but Mick must have spoken with each of them to know if each one is fit and they must all be if they are scheduling shows. They have a little bit of rust to scrape off but they can do it!
Rockandroll,
Mops

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-14 14:10 by rollmops.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: June 14, 2021 13:10

Finish the album

Date: June 14, 2021 13:34

Pretty sure they'll do their 60th anniversary in Europe, just like they did with their 50th.

We'll see, though...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1297
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home