Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 26
Re: The Rolling Stones and their future
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 9, 2020 00:54

I agree I'd help too Rocky......but my house is closer than yours to the venue!

Okay wino BUT wheres the venue ????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: winos ()
Date: November 9, 2020 00:56

In Melbourne of course a big gig at the MCG...…!

pool's in but the patio ain't dry

Date: November 9, 2020 01:00

Six shows at Rod Laver would be better .... make it seven

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 9, 2020 01:08

Speaking of Rocket Rod Laver the classic styles of tennis were great. Ken Rosewall as well. Illie Nastase was awesome. Great entertainer as well.

Yes Federer and especially Nadal could easily beat them from casual observation. Actually if Laver, Newsome , etc.. had the same type of rackets maybe it would be closer if they were playing in the same era.

Posted by: winos ()
Date: November 9, 2020 01:17

that'll work as the MCG can be too big for concerts

pool's in but the patio ain't dry

Posted by: lynn1 ()
Date: November 9, 2020 02:12

If today’ players were forced to play on “yesteryears” grass courts with 3 Grand Slams instead of 1, Roger might have 40. Nodal would not have 20. Back in the day, bad bounces were the norm. The ball also didn’t bounce high forcing players to come in all the time.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: November 9, 2020 03:56

Well I've got plans for the 2061 Anniversary and it's killer. The New album will be almost ready.

The buildup fkn BRILLIANT.
KUDOS to Mick. Sly.
56 years since A Bigger Bang!!
"They'll have to buy it, won't they mate?"
"Keith?
Keith?
Hey, anybody seen Keith?"

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 9, 2020 06:07

"Back to the Future."

If someone could find the film cans and the soundboard tapes and piece together a more or less complete concert from 1970-71, I would be a happy camper.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: November 9, 2020 08:24

Witness
I have a need for variation and development.

In that case, are the Stones really the right band to follow? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out There has been little variation and development since Exile on Main Street

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: November 9, 2020 10:12

Hey Rockman and winos,

I dig your idea to have the Stones come to Australia next year, but I rely on you to take care of the fans, who come over by crossing the globe, too.
Cheap, clean hotels, high quality tents, horse stables, etc. it can't be that difficult ... or else, if space becomes an issue ... how about Hanging Rock? I missed both planned shows there in 2014 ...
smileys with beer

Date: November 9, 2020 10:29

AAAwwwwww yeah ..... dunno about wino but
I'd be hanging around somewhere for sure .....

Plenty of places outside Melbourne that are cheap ..
Easy to get in and out of city ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Stoneswolf ()
Date: November 9, 2020 14:39

[www.bbc.com] Covid vaccine: First 'milestone' vaccine offers 90% protection

might be good news for any future tours...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-09 15:14 by Stoneswolf.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 9, 2020 15:25

Chris Fountain
Speaking of Rocket Rod Laver the classic styles of tennis were great. Ken Rosewall as well. Illie Nastase was awesome. Great entertainer as well.

Yes Federer and especially Nadal could easily beat them from casual observation. Actually if Laver, Newsome , etc.. had the same type of rackets maybe it would be closer if they were playing in the same era.

The power of the racquets today are far superior than anything even used in the 70's. And that can be good and bad...the less powerful racquets of the past led to longer and some would say more exciting rallies.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 9, 2020 15:50

Stoneswolf

This is looking very promising as the potential game changer we've been waiting for.
Potentially available in three weeks, 90% effective against 20 different coronavirus strains, good for a year.. 2021 is looking up!
[edition.cnn.com]

Posted by: Stonesdude ()
Date: November 9, 2020 16:15

I would go almost anywhere in the world to see the Stones. I have seen them in 13 countries and hope to see them in more.

Because of the Stones, many of the countries I would not have been to otherwise. It is such a great world to see, and I hope to see more.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 9, 2020 17:02

Sorry to bring bad news on a day when they say one of the vaccines may be 90% effective, but there is currently a mutant of the virus in Denmark, among mink farms, spreading back among people, and the vaccines in development may not be that effective versus that mutant.

UK scientists seek mutant Covid samples from Danish mink farms (Guardian 8 Nov 2020)

Danish health authorities raised the alarm over the mutant virus last week and announced a cull of the nation’s 17 million mink as the Statens Serum Institut (SSI) in Copenhagen warned of potentially “serious consequences” for vaccines if it was allowed to spread internationally.

Tests in Denmark have picked up more than 200 people with coronavirus mutations linked to mink farms since June, but concern centres on a dozen cases in North Jutland of people who fell ill in September with a unique variant of the virus.

Known as “cluster five”, the variant has four separate mutations in the so-called spike protein that the virus uses to enter cells, and on which most vaccines are based.

Bjornulf

Date: November 9, 2020 17:16

GQ interview-
Keith Richards Is Riding Out the Pandemic in His “Comfies”
[www.gq.com]

Q -Does the band have any plans for the 60th anniversary, which is coming up in a few years?

Keith:
Well, the plans are to still actually all be alive.

Apart from that, at our age, I don't know. I haven't heard of any plans, but I'm sure there are things being made. First off, I'm going to get through this year and see how we handle next year. Because I think at the moment, there are more problems than a Rolling Stones celebration. Although I'm very glad that we're all here, but I'll leave it at that if I can."

Date: November 9, 2020 17:21

Well, maybe the vaccine is 90% effective against any strain? How much more bad news can we take in one year?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-09 17:46 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 9, 2020 17:45

NilsHolgersson
Witness
I have a need for variation and development.

In that case, are the Stones really the right band to follow? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out There has been little variation and development since Exile on Main Street

Then what band is, if you live long enough with it?

That need was installed in me by the Stones themselves as an effect of my having followed them since the mid-60s.

And you exaggerate. At least up to and including UNDERCOVER I got that need fully covered. All right, I was quite frustrated by TATTOO YOU, but not as to development, instead of some of the fruits that this development led to.

Also later on, I have been much contented by large parts of BRIDGES TO BABYLON and A BIGGER BANG, if not the same songs as some other posters. Apart from that, tracks like "Continental Drift" and recently "Living in A Ghost Town" have delighted me.

I continue to listen to the issues from the Stones, for a long time now in an arranged more or less chronological order, including my quite few bootlegs. That way I repeatedly experience their development. To gain actual new impressions, l make myself superficially familiar with other bands from the recent or more distant past, for instance and for some time now, releases by Sonic Youth, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, R.E.M., Radiohead, Spacemen 3, Spiritualized and the last four albums by New Order. But because I listen daily to music for shorter time than before, it takes me longer time. Last, but not least, only recently did I buy the GOATS HEAD SOUP reissue,the only reissue that I have bought. Eventually, also I have started an initation period towards the album with the extra material.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-09 17:52 by Witness.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 9, 2020 18:27

Future... Pasture...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 9, 2020 18:41

Stoneswolf

Yeah sounds good, but realistically sounds better for future tours starting in 2022 or beyond:

"Are there any potential problems?

There are still many unanswered questions as this is only interim data.We do not know if the vaccine stops you spreading the virus or just from developing symptoms.
Or if it works equally well in high-risk elderly people. The biggest question - how long does immunity last - will take months or potentially years to answer.
There are also massive manufacturing and logistical challenges in immunising huge numbers of people, as the vaccine has to be kept in ultra-cold storage at below minus 80C"

Until these questions/problems are completely answered, I can't see massive gatherings in gigantic stadiums - especially for an elderly group like the Stones who are all nearing 80 years old.

EDIT: After reading Bjornulfs 's post above about new mutations surfacing in Denmark puts another spin on the quagmire...it might be a safer bet to say 2024 or beyond for future tours.
Hoping sooner rather than later, but unfortunately (and realistically) this insidious virus probably isn't going away anytime soon.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-09 18:54 by Hairball.

Date: November 9, 2020 19:44

Just my take-

Any time there is good news about curing this virus.. Folks come out and say it won't work and they will not take the vaccine.

I wonder if this was the same way when the polio vaccination was approved in mid 1900s?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-09 20:40 by Chris Fountain.

Date: November 9, 2020 19:56

Deep cook it to a golden batter in rice oil
then roll it in organic hand cut chocolate chips ....

Hand it out for free in front of every supermarket
while emphasizing the word organic .... theyll take it

ROCKMAN

Date: November 9, 2020 20:05

Never been a big fan of Doom & Gloom.

*edit- wrong thread winking smiley

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: November 9, 2020 20:31

Chris Fountain
Just my take-

Any time there is good news about curing this virus.. Folks comes out and say it won't work and they will not take the vaccine.

I wonder if this was the same way when the polio vaccination was approved in mid 1900s?

Mutations surfacing is annoying to say the least. But at this stage there is no need to dive into negativity yet. In the past there have been quite a few cases where any given vaccin for a particular virus turned out to be usefull for some mutations of that virus. Nevertheless existing vaccins also turned out to be useless against certain mutations. We had a case like this in the Netherlands a few years ago where a couple million 65+ people did (still do) get an influenza vaccin that turned out to be pretty ineffective against a mutation that surfaced that upcoming year. Too many did get the flu. It was not disastrous, but not funny either. The "Denmark" mutant should be tested with any upcoming vaccin for Covid-19 before doom or panic talks take over.

Date: November 9, 2020 21:02

georgie48
Chris Fountain
Just my take-

Any time there is good news about curing this virus.. Folks comes out and say it won't work and they will not take the vaccine.

Mutations surfacing is annoying to say the least. But at this stage there is no need to dive into negativity yet. In the past there have been quite a few cases where any given vaccin for a particular virus turned out to be usefull for some mutations of that virus. Nevertheless existing vaccins also turned out to be useless against certain mutations. We had a case like this in the Netherlands a few years ago where a couple million 65+ people did (still do) get an influenza vaccin that turned out to be pretty ineffective against a mutation that surfaced that upcoming year. Too many did get the flu. It was not disastrous, but not funny either. The "Denmark" mutant should be tested with any upcoming vaccin for Covid-19 before doom or panic talks take over.

Thanks and that is a great strategy!

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: November 10, 2020 01:09

Chris Fountain
Just my take-

Any time there is good news about curing this virus.. Folks come out and say it won't work and they will not take the vaccine.

Social media didn't exists so there was limited information (disinformation) flow.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 10, 2020 02:21

The future of shows aside it would be nice to get a new album and if not then maybe another single or two. I'm still digging LIAGT, it's fantastic, and I guess it will hold me over for a while LOL seeing that it wasn't expected to begin with.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: November 10, 2020 02:41

This year we had No Filter Tour (unfortunately it had to be cancelled ofcourse), One World: Together at Home performance, Living in a Ghost Town, Goats Head Soup reissue with Criss Cross, Scarlet & All the Rage, Steel Wheels Live album, Mick's film The Burnt Orange Heresy, there's now a Stones shop on Carnaby Street, the Stones brand is still very active, I'm sure there's room for a new album next year

Date: November 10, 2020 02:49

And Ronnie's up date of the Beggars painting ....
that caused a bigger uproar than anything else ....

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1980
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home