Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 26
Re: Next years scenarios
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 29, 2020 17:07

Yep, the best we can hope for is a new album. But still I wonder if even that is feasible with all five of them living on different places. I have a feeling making
a new album is an insurmountable endeavour for them. Like climbing Mount Everest I guess. Takes hundred of oxygen tanks to make it...

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 29, 2020 17:16

Being optimistic with the corona virus is like getting the habit of having a swim in the canals and Everglades of Florida. You may get lucky, but there is more than a slim chance an alligator will have a bite of you sooner or later.

The corona virus and a vaccine is the same. One need to be realistic rather than optimistic. This is the largest and most widespread pandemic in 102 years time. It does normally take years to make a safe and fully working vaccine. We would be lucky if there is a vaccine next year.

Then next all those other things must happen, like producing the vaccine in quantities of billions, opening up countries and large crowds, getting people and economy right so that people are willing to spend 500 dollar on a ticket, and so on.

I am realistic. I don't swim in canals in florida, and I don't think there will be billions of a safe and efficient vaccine any time this year or early next year. We have to live with the virus for a long time, and touring makes no sense when there is a pandemic around.

May be they can record at separate locations, may be, but I am not sure if that would make a great Stones album, it would be more like a great album of solo songs.

Bjornulf

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 29, 2020 18:00

I can easily understand that discussions for the organization of a tour, if any, shall start only when the pandemic will be under reasonable control: public events are still considered at risk.

But I don't see how the current situation can prevent the finalization of the new record.

C

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 29, 2020 19:59

I dont think alligators make a habit of attacking people. Salt water crocodiles, now, thats another matter. But they are not in the everglades nor in Florida. What does this matter in the context of this discussion? Well, when you drain the swamps, its not really the alligators you have to worry about, its the malaria and other diseases. Its the small things that are most dangerous, not the big things. Hence the connection.

jb

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 29, 2020 20:15

Wondering when the Stones will ultimately make the final call on this postponed tour?
Many have opted for refunds and put their money to use, while many others are clinging on to the slim hope that the shows may still be rescheduled while their money is tied up and being held hostage by the Stones.
If they do reschedule I'll be happy to repurchase, but can't see this happening until 2022 at the earliest even if a vaccine becomes available this year. And then you factor in their age and ability - they're not getting younger.

As for the new album, at least now they have a good excuse for not being able to finish it. I can see them releasing another single or two though from the five or six they supposedly have finished,
but a whole new album will probably have to wait at least a few more years...I'm thinking 2025.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: June 29, 2020 20:38

I don't suppose the Rolling Stones will see a penny (or a dime) from a postponed tour.
And I am 90% sure Miami 2019 was the final Stones concert. Excepting possibly a final cinematic farewell.

The games up!

What we need is a final great studio album.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 30, 2020 01:03

The Rolling Stones are not holding anyone's money hostage. It is being held in the hands of the ticket agencies or possibly the promotors, and is liable to be refunded on request in most cases. I am pretty sure nothing has been paid to the Stones although I am sure they are in the hole moneywise at this point, as regards the postponed tour.

jb

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 30, 2020 01:10

"money is tied up and being held hostage by the Stones" - was just a figure of speech.
Meanwhile, many are awaiting the news one way or the other while their money is tied up.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: June 30, 2020 03:52

My Dream scenario is 2022 they celebrate 60 years - they keep it small and play some club shows and play lots of rare stuff and film it in 4k and release with a super-sized box of outtakes for each decade they recorded. I really (ok bring on the burn) don't need to see 79 year old Mick running around in a stadium playing Satisfaction.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: June 30, 2020 14:59

Stoneage
Yep, the best we can hope for is a new album. But still I wonder if even that is feasible with all five of them living on different places. I have a feeling making
a new album is an insurmountable endeavour for them. Like climbing Mount Everest I guess. Takes hundred of oxygen tanks to make it...

Unless I'm wrong, I believe the Stones are adept at overdubbing. I think I recall hearing that on Undercover Mick would come into the studio and work all day, and then after he left Keith would come in and work all night. I don't think there would be many problems getting any of them a few hours alone in a nice local studio for some dubbing work. (This is all assuming that all these tracks are written and close to being done.)

The problem really seems to be Mick & Keith agreeing on what to release and when, by which I mean Keith. Mick apparently has written and is writing a lot of songs and was up for releasing England Lost & Get A Grip as Stones singles. Keith is the one that made that not happen.

The elephant in the room that I wish I didn't feel like I had to mention is that if one of them dies before the release of the new album, it is the other who will then make all the decisions on which songs and which versions are ultimately released. And if Keith is this "protective" of their musical legacy while he is alive, I fear that he will be even tougher after passing away - like some sort of legal stipulation that his whole family has to agree unanimously on any future releases of new Stones music or something along those lines.

I don't want to offend or mislead anyone with that above statement, as I have no source for it other than what I've gleaned from decades of observing the Stones.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 30, 2020 15:57

My modest (even miserable) opinion is that Keith can no longer - or no longer want to compose. Mick yes, and prolifically ... Living In A Ghost Town is a 90% Mick song ...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: June 30, 2020 18:08

powerage78
My modest (even miserable) opinion is that Keith can no longer - or no longer want to compose. Mick yes, and prolifically ... Living In A Ghost Town is a 90% Mick song ...

What are you basing your opinion on?

It's easy to have an opinion, but to obtain knowledge - not so easy.

Are you saying that Jordan wrote Crosseyed Heart? Just so I understand where you're coming from smiling smiley

CH was a double album, with 3 or 4 songs from 2002 + 2 covers.

It's way more likely, imo, that the problem has to do with HOW they write their songs - the working methods.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 30, 2020 20:50

From what I am gathering, as far as the United States goes, no matter how bad COVID-19 gets this year things will not be shut down again because the economy is so important so... people will just die. Probably A LOT of because, ha ha, there are A LOT of idiots in the US right now.

And that's how it will be.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 30, 2020 21:04

Just an opinion... in 2020.

DandelionPowderman
powerage78

Are you saying that Jordan wrote Crosseyed Heart? Just so I understand where you're coming from smiling smiley

It's way more likely, imo, that the problem has to do with HOW they write their songs - the working methods.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 30, 2020 21:25

powerage78

DandelionPowderman
powerage78

2020 is the year of opinion.

No facts required.

So far there's only one new song and it sounds like Keith is still into composing.

I've got popcorn for the massive death numbers that will happen in the US later this year. It's possible the virus will die itself out.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: June 30, 2020 22:53

wonderboy
Get the U.S. bashing out of here.

I live in the US and they need to be bashed,b!tchslapped and stoned (not Rolling). Europe has done a much better job and fewer people are sick and dying. As long as people are getting sick and dying the odds of a US tour are as likely as a N. Korea tour.

Posted by: BN78 ()
Date: July 1, 2020 03:52

GasLightStreet
powerage78

DandelionPowderman
powerage78

2020 is the year of opinion.

No facts required.

So far there's only one new song and it sounds like Keith is still into composing.

I've got popcorn for the massive death numbers that will happen in the US later this year. It's possible the virus will die itself out.

"popcorn" ?? that's massively insensitive no matter where you live

Posted by: rcfoxy ()
Date: July 1, 2020 05:52

Well....New Zealand is pretty much Covid-19 free, in terms of community transmission, so if the lads can deal with 2 weeks of quarantined "rehearsals" when they arrive....then I'm sure we can sell out 2-3 40k people gigs here THIS year even :-)

Yes I know its not financially viable for them...but I can dream :-)

Cheers
Richard - In Another Land

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: July 1, 2020 06:12

Gazza
The derisory way he was underused last time he played with them was one of the most wasted opportunities of their entire career

thumbs upI’ve said this before and I’ll say it again — The boys should have let Mick T play Midnight Rambler onwards and stay on stage till the end of the show for the 2012-14 tours. That would have made the “50 and Counting” years even more memorable and celebratory. A missed opportunity indeed.

MileHigh
One more album and three nights at Royal Albert Hall in 2021. That's the end of the line and the rolling stops, IMO.

I remember someone “leaked” here next year’s Royal Albert Hall 150 years anniversary will have them on the lineup...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-01 06:14 by RisingStone.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 1, 2020 06:32

Edited. No fun.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-01 06:56 by Doxa.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 1, 2020 11:02

RisingStone
Gazza
The derisory way he was underused last time he played with them was one of the most wasted opportunities of their entire career

thumbs upI’ve said this before and I’ll say it again — The boys should have let Mick T play Midnight Rambler onwards and stay on stage till the end of the show for the 2012-14 tours. That would have made the “50 and Counting” years even more memorable and celebratory. A missed opportunity indeed.

MileHigh
One more album and three nights at Royal Albert Hall in 2021. That's the end of the line and the rolling stops, IMO.

I remember someone “leaked” here next year’s Royal Albert Hall 150 years anniversary will have them on the lineup...

Yes I recall that too, I also recall who it was ...

Having read, sometime in the last few weeks, that the very existence of the RAH as a music venue is under threat because of ongoing closure due to the pandemic ... heaven knows what the future holds !

To a Londoner, a London without an RAH is simply unthinkable. Will life ever be as we knew it ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: July 1, 2020 11:33

Gazza

Why?

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 1, 2020 11:57

At their age, for safety's sake:

They CANT tour - and -
They WONT record

They're finished as a creative entity.

Call my a cynic. My favourite band is done, apart from the legacy reissues/vault concert series.

Nothing new, no touring. Done.

Rod

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 1, 2020 12:05

Any touring is shakey for obvious reasons
and heck NO vaccine NO pit for this kid ..

.... but there'll be more recording ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 1, 2020 12:27

wonderboy
daspyknows
wonderboy
Get the U.S. bashing out of here.

I live in the US and they need to be bashed,b!tchslapped and stoned (not Rolling). Europe has done a much better job and fewer people are sick and dying. As long as people are getting sick and dying the odds of a US tour are as likely as a N. Korea tour.

The numbers don't show that. Specifically deaths per million. And survival rates in the US are also better.
But more to the point I object to the cheap cynicism and self-flagellation that even seeps into rock and roll boards. We've gone from hating Trump to hating ourselves.

Facts don't matter in today's world.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 1, 2020 13:19

With the # rising and it isn't even fall time or flu season I am not optimistic of anything happening going forward . It seems like we are on borrowed time and the unknown is quite rather scary . People are relaxing and letting there guards down and the # rise . MLB Baseball is beginning workouts today in preparation for a 60 game season and some players are opting out of playing in abundance of caution for themselves and there families and I for the life of me can not see how an underwriter will issue an insurance policy for a band to tour . If you were an insurance company would you issue a policy and face the reality of a mega massive $ payout in case of something happening ? probably not . The Glimmer Twins are no dummies and will not do anything harmful to themselves and there $

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 1, 2020 18:17

no more shows – end of scenario

Posted by: nick1970 ()
Date: July 4, 2020 15:54

How about the possibility of concerts behind closed doors like sport and then filmed... plus a finish date for new album?
I am always optimistic..

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 4, 2020 17:25

nick1970

How about the possibility of concerts behind closed doors like sport and then filmed... plus a finish date for new album?

A Club-Show because the Stones need an audience. Maybe in Fall 2020, with invited fans only (up to 1000), negative Corona-tested on Show-day, then filmed like Fonda 2015, etc ....

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 4, 2020 18:42

bitusa2012
At their age, for safety's sake:

They CANT tour - and -
They WONT record

They're finished as a creative entity.

Call my a cynic. My favourite band is done, apart from the legacy reissues/vault concert series.

Nothing new, no touring. Done.

That could easily end up being true unfortunately. We can only hope not. The U.K. and Europe are now beginning to cautiously open up and there have already been a few localised spikes in cases dotted around. In England (not the whole U.K.) pubs, restaurants, barbers and hairdressers have been re opened today. The other 3 U.K. nations are taking a more cautious approach but will likely follow suit at some point.

I believe things will slowly but cautiously return to normal, but it’s likely to be a faltering recovery and mass attendance entertainment events of any kind will surely be the very last thing to resume. By the time they do, it could be too late for the Stones and others of their era such as Macca and the Who.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1913
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home