Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 26
Re: The Rolling Stones and their future
Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: April 7, 2020 22:10

gotdablouse
A long time ?! The previous album was released in 2017 and the one before that in 2013 !

You're absolutely right. Apologies! It must be age ... I too often mix up Deep Purple and Black Sabbath, possibly because they remind me of the headbanger generation that followed after the sixties. I do listen to both bands occasionally. FortyFive+ years ago, apart from some great songs, most of it was heavy noise to me (heavy metal?), but I learned to appreciate it over the years.
Well, with Blue and Lonesome half a decade ago, we indeed deserve a new album soon.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 7, 2020 23:05

treaclefingers
loog droog
pftw04

After death of Brian, came the killer guitarist Mick Taylor, who has transformed the STONES to different level.

Methinks the Stones were already at that different level beginning with Jumpin' Jack Flash, then Beggars Banquet and the bulk of Let It Bleed recorded even before Taylor came on board,

I like Mick Taylor, but he was just one facet of the group at a high point.

excellent, very true.

And... Mick Taylor joined the Stones May 24th for recording.

Date: April 7, 2020 23:10

RobertJohnson
I wrote it ten years ago: Go to the studio twice a year and record all those traditional blues tracks from Charlie Patton, Son House, Robert Johnson etc. mixed with own blues tracks newly written. It would be the best way to get older and older without losing your dignity. Quit the desperate Best of-Tours, though it brings a lot of money. But musically it is worthless. There are many of better cover bands on tour ... The advantage is: We have two new albums per annum till the end ...

LOL! Well, the tours might be musically worthless ie very safe warhorses galore - but the fact that Keith keeps doing what he does so well, which includes screwing up, well, they can't play them in their sleep. Yes, sure, they all screw up, but Keith is the most notable.

So, at least there's that aspect. No one will ever accuse them of doing too many new songs from 2002 onward.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 8, 2020 02:53

i think the stones are nearing the end, not a big surprise if you consider their age and now this virus has hit and could change the way we think in future. people will not risk throwing as much money around as before.

we may have seen the last of them, but if thats the case at least they have left us with a treasure of memories to keep us going for years.

the virus dosent change that much regarding where the band was going, they were never going to release loads of new albums anyway, and thier touring days will be near the end soon enough.

if they quit now i would understand and then i wish them all the best.

Date: April 8, 2020 04:15

buttons67
i think the stones are nearing the end, not a big surprise if you consider their age and now this virus has hit and could change the way we think in future. people will not risk throwing as much money around as before.

we may have seen the last of them, but if thats the case at least they have left us with a treasure of memories to keep us going for years.

the virus dosent change that much regarding where the band was going, they were never going to release loads of new albums anyway, and thier touring days will be near the end soon enough.

if they quit now i would understand and then i wish them all the best.

Well of course they're "nearing the end". They're OLD.

The virus doesn't damage anything for them career wise - they have been on break, so it's longer, no big.

Posted by: Dougratajczak87 ()
Date: April 8, 2020 04:29

I still think the payments already received probably have them completing the 15 dates in 2021.

Because after all, who wants to return money already paid to you?

Beyond that, who knows?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-08 04:30 by Dougratajczak87.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 8, 2020 19:53

Dougratajczak87
I still think the payments already received probably have them completing the 15 dates in 2021.

Because after all, who wants to return money already paid to you?

Beyond that, who knows?

Barring, god forbid, injury or disease, they will return. For that money. At this stage they don't want lawsuits flying back and forth. We may never get a 'new' album, but you can bet they'll be back to do those dates.

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: April 8, 2020 20:12

I think the time off is going to do more harm than good.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 8, 2020 23:26

Charlie is probably the most vulnerable,being the oldest in the band and hopefully is in self confinement with his
Missus at his home in Devon. He keeps himself fit and healthy I'm sure and will be taking this in his usual easy going way.
smileys with beer

Posted by: pftw04 ()
Date: April 10, 2020 10:42

The Who might be still touring. However they lost their power after demise of Keith Moon and then Entwistle. No one can play like Moon or Entwisle.

Now the STONES touring in 2022 is very unlikely as they will be 80 years. Yes we can now hope for one last album before the curtain drops

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: April 10, 2020 12:25

We said that when they turned 40, 50, 60, 70. It's just because no band has ever done this before. Mick is pushing the boundaries here!

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 10, 2020 13:08

buttons67
i think the stones are nearing the end, not a big surprise ..

Genius

Rod

Date: April 10, 2020 13:22

pftw04
The Who might be still touring. However they lost their power after demise of Keith Moon and then Entwistle. No one can play like Moon or Entwisle.

Now the STONES touring in 2022 is very unlikely as they will be 80 years. Yes we can now hope for one last album before the curtain drops

I know you write this, because deep inside you hope you're wrong.
The chances are that you are wrong, as so many before you were. With this corona stuff going around I bet you Mick (always looking ahead) and Keith (each in their own way to start with) are already facing this unique challenge ... 2022! 60 years of Rolling Stones! How can we fill that in? Plenty of time to come up with some more new songs, creating stadium setups in which fans can enjoy the show with 2 yards distance from other fans. The advantage of the latter will be that there will be plenty of space for each fan to dance and sing around. Technology will come up with great sollutions ..... I hope cool smiley
smileys with beer

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: April 10, 2020 13:26

The Stones might be still touring. However they lost their power after demise of Mick Taylor, Stu, Nicky Hopkins and Bill Wyman.
No one can play like them.

pftw04

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-10 13:26 by powerage78.

Posted by: pftw04 ()
Date: May 10, 2020 06:36

If they tour next year, then I feel the weakest link will be Keith Richards. I strongly feel he cant pull out next year on stage, as he will be 77. Mick Jagger can as he is active and so can Ronnie Wood, but Keith Richards I don't think.

What you people feel?

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: May 10, 2020 08:04

They will work until they their bodies defy their desire.

Recently I watched an interview of Charlie from the 90s in which the interviewer was going on about THIRTY YEARS of the Stones...... When asked if he likes to tour Charlie said no (as we all know) but he said he loves performing.

Unless they physically can't, they will because why wouldn't you do something you love.

Long Live the Stones and may whatever drives them inspire us all.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: May 10, 2020 09:14

Almost surely, we’ll get one more studio album that will be timed to coincide with some concerts in London in 2022. It’ll be a sort of last bow and ABKCO and UMG will be set free to issue a programmed series of albums that must keep the band and the brand alive for the next two decades.
Celebrations in 2022 will be supported by the opening of their museum or something similar and I hope Brian Jones will be remembered as a musicist and not for his Life-style.
They’re not expected to do more than this, in my opinion. Bye, Luca

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-10 13:25 by 1963luca0.

Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: May 10, 2020 09:25

Of coursr thhere is tour 2021.they are rolling stones

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: May 10, 2020 15:21

Just fantasize about seeing the Rolling Stones in 1970 or 1971 and you are 19 years old. I don't think it can get any better than that.

I wouldn't be surprised if the end is the album release in late 2020 or 2021. Don't be surprised if there are no more concerts. At their age, one year older starts to look like five years older so I think even seeing them on a stage would be uncomfortable for some fans. Sometimes even today Keith looks like he is 85.

Date: May 10, 2020 15:56

MileHigh
Just fantasize about seeing the Rolling Stones in 1970 or 1971 and you are 19 years old. I don't think it can get any better than that.

I wouldn't be surprised if the end is the album release in late 2020 or 2021. Don't be surprised if there are no more concerts. At their age, one year older starts to look like five years older so I think even seeing them on a stage would be uncomfortable for some fans. Sometimes even today Keith looks like he is 85.

He, (apparently) young (wo)man, I saw them both in 1970 and 1971. Great concerts, but .... it can get better than that, I can guarantee you. Maybe I should say that over the decades there was a development going on (look at your baby photos and look in the mirror now ... wow what a development cool smiley). When you read the reviews of fans who saw the Stones well past their 70s, nobody back in 1970 and 1971 would have believed they could play so well 50 years later. What Chuck Berry could do when he was 80, the Stones will do much, much better. When you believe enough in 2022 it will happen.
smileys with beer

Date: May 10, 2020 23:39

MileHigh

There is definitely some kind of quick scale. I remember my grandparents looking relatively the same for years, and when they got into their 70s things started to speed up A LOT. That jumping thing that's like 1,3, 11, 36, 73, 130...

There's no telling, of course, but Mick has hinted at this being the last album and they are certainly getting close to the age of not being able to tour, although 'they' really being Keith, because of his abused body, and Charlie, because he's a bit older and has the hardest job. There's just no way he can sustain at some point - it's the same reason old people lose their driver's license etc.

So yeah, no shit it's getting to the end. Time has been on their side for a long time, and the last 20 years they haven't exactly used it worth a damn for making new music but they sure have made a ton of money. At some point, it leaves, and that point is approaching very fast.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 11, 2020 00:02

It doesn't matter that much to me anymore. I consider everything they did after the seventies as a dessert of sorts. Their main body of work was done before the seventies ended.
Everything after that is an extra order. If someone understands what I'm talking about?

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: May 11, 2020 01:00

It was 1986 - Dick.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 11, 2020 01:03

.... I fink they're more worried about their past .......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 11, 2020 02:06

This doesn't bode well for big shows, pit tickets, etc.

[www.nj.com]

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: May 11, 2020 03:05

they will be back!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: May 11, 2020 05:54

georgie48
Topi
Deep Purple was formed in 1968 and they're making new music.

The DP fans had to wait a long, long time for that, so concerning the Stones, it's only a "little" patience they ask from us winking smiley

But their only constant member is the drummer. I get that Steve Morse has been in Purple longer than Ritchie Blackmore and that Don Airey was hired with Jon Lord's blessing. But without Blackmore and Lord, the show I saw in 2017 didn't feel Purple. With Ian Gillan looking like a rich guy on a yacht holiday, it felt more Aqua.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-11 05:57 by ab.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: May 11, 2020 06:58

I agree that Deep Purple doesn’t pass the sniff test. Ian Paice is the only representative from the original line-up, and even if you concede Gillan and Roger Glover from the Mach II line-up, they only have three “core” members, similar to Dead & Co., who don’t claim to be The Grateful Dead.

King Crimson is another undeserving candidate. Robert Fripp has been the only original member since 1970. They are basically whomever he decides to play with.

A better group to include would be Hot Tuna, who have always primarily featured Jorma Kaukonen and Jack Casady, and who began in 1969.

Hell, even Fleetwood Mac has more original members than Deep Purple.

As for the Stones, they have consistently defied the odds, and I would not count them out. They have developed a great low-impact touring model. Every other band on the planet would love to only have to play two shows a week and tour in their own private plane. Those perks make social distancing a lot easier for them. We haven’t seen the last of them.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 12, 2020 22:05

I see them touring as long as the 4 members remain on Earth...and maybe their shows will be more of a B-Stage affair, even an " unplugged" version of the band but if the old blues men can do it, they sure can! Their love of performing has been their driving force for over 54 years...I just pray they remain a healthy unit..we know the fan base will remain strong...God Speed The Rolling Stones!

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 14, 2020 23:04

In the near perspective, I see the realistic possibility that they will release a studio album of the supposed best new songs that they have recorded in recent months or years and will record in the immediate time to come. Then after having proved in some degree what they wanted to prove for themselves, they will be able further on to make a decision to release also much of the rest of their recorded material in suitable packages, aware that they (or we) really do not always know the whims of the market.

Longer than that I am not able to look. For instance, to when a certain vaccine has been developed. For when is that? So I abstain more or less to then from trying to predict what is the situation with this band at that point in time.

After all, also this means there is still some future for the Rolling Stones, if they themselves want to have it.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1780
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home