Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 12
Re: Matt Lee's Book
Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: November 24, 2021 22:54

SonofHarlemShuffler
There is another book of Stones memorabilia called “Not Fade Away” by Geoffrey Giuliano which apparently came out thirty years ago. Time flies!

I wonder if he posts here and if Matt Lee knows him.

It's mentioned in Matt's book.

Importantly Matt does not, at any stage, and absolutely correctly, mention Mr G, he gives credit to Chris Eborn the person who owns (owned?) the collection that is the subject of the book.

You can imply the reasons.

Last time I had contact with Mr G (who has also produced some books in the Beatles universe) he was living in some South East Asia country and was caught out using a fake name to post extremely great reviews of a book he'd written and was trying to promote. 'nuff said.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: November 25, 2021 21:00

CaptainCorella
SonofHarlemShuffler
There is another book of Stones memorabilia called “Not Fade Away” by Geoffrey Giuliano which apparently came out thirty years ago. Time flies!

Importantly Matt does not, at any stage, and absolutely correctly, mention Mr G, he gives credit to Chris Eborn the person who owns (owned?) the collection that is the subject of the book.

Last time I had contact with Mr G (who has also produced some books in the Beatles universe) he was living in some South East Asia country and was caught out using a fake name to post extremely great reviews of a book he'd written and was trying to promote. 'nuff said.

Chris Eborn - yes, that’s the name of the collector. Thanks, CaptainCorella.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: November 25, 2021 21:58

The best Christmas present ever!

If you don’t have it, you’re not a real fan.

Well done Matt and Chris

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 26, 2021 00:30

Finally! I’m in for a long, wonderful evening. Not sure how I’m getting this signed - are you coming to Unzipped, Matt? smileys with beer

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: November 28, 2021 03:01

So sorry I can’t make it to Kitchener… just about to take off for home

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 28, 2021 03:19

Well, poop! Safe trip home!

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 28, 2021 07:43

I’m a real fan Middimanz. I don’t have this yet though. Too busy giving the ACTUAL Stones all my spare cash. Might stump up for this when I can. Looks fantastic.

Rod

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-28 07:44 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 28, 2021 09:18

Come on Rod ...
Be first in WA ta own a copy .....

You'll even make the evening news ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: November 28, 2021 11:38

CaptainCorella
SonofHarlemShuffler

I sure was impressed by his collection. In addition to that I own a another (Rolling Stones) book by Geoffrey Giuliano: Paint It Black. The Murder of Brian Jones.
Published by Virgin Books in 1994. Actually, I don't remember its 'value' on the subject Brian's death in comparison to my Laura Jackson and Terry Rawlings books.
Maybe someone of you can recommend who's the most serious biographer regarding Brian.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-28 11:50 by JJHMick.

Date: November 28, 2021 13:31

bitusa2012
I’m a real fan Middimanz. I don’t have this yet though. Too busy giving the ACTUAL Stones all my spare cash. Might stump up for this when I can. Looks fantastic.

I’d be surprised if Paul O’ don’t own one here already! But, donations gratefully accepted…

Rod

Date: November 28, 2021 14:20

Actually … AUD33.75 on eBay with a discount coupon free postage from BigW of all places. Placed my order.

Rod

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: November 28, 2021 14:53

Still prefer the quality and presentation of the Giuliano book

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 28, 2021 15:25

bitusa2012

Actually … AUD33.75 on eBay

Or AU$ 14.57 for the eBook - [www.Amazon.com.au] - free Kindle-App available for iOS, Android, Mac & PC - [www.Amazon.com.au] .

Date: November 28, 2021 22:22

stargroover
Still prefer the quality and presentation of the Giuliano book

Please!

It's a book about CHRIS EBORN's collection.

Let's all remember to make sure that Chris gets the credit not the strange Mr.G.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: November 29, 2021 03:00

midimannz
The best Christmas present ever!

If you don’t have it, you’re not a real fan.

Well done Matt and Chris

I don't have that book, neither i intend to purchase it. I'm the biggest Stones'fan. I'm interested in their music, saw many many of their shows in Canada, US and even Europe, I'm interested in their their career, their future, I have all their albums and most of the books about them... I'm just not interested in people's collections of stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-29 03:02 by daniel t.

Date: November 29, 2021 03:34

Irix
bitusa2012

Or AU$ 14.57 for the eBook - [www.Amazon.com.au] - free Kindle-App available for iOS, Android, Mac & PC - [www.Amazon.com.au] .

Not into ereading. Like the physical format of a BOOK. Much like vinyl v cd or streaming.

Rod

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 29, 2021 04:06

bitusa2012
Irix
bitusa2012

Not into ereading. Like the physical format of a BOOK. Much like vinyl v cd out streaming.

Especially this book.

Fantastic photography and very nicely laid out.
Highly recommend smileys with beer

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: November 29, 2021 12:26

Alovely collection by Chris

Date: November 29, 2021 23:51

daniel t
I don't have that book, neither i intend to purchase it. I'm the biggest Stones'fan. I'm interested in their music, saw many many of their shows in Canada, US and even Europe, I'm interested in their their career, their future, I have all their albums and most of the books about them... I'm just not interested in people's collections of stuff.

Hi Daniel,
I totally respect that but I think you would be pleasantly surprised. I am confident you would find lots of facts about the bands history that isn't covered in any other book. I kept a lot of things back to fist publish in the book. The earliest known concert poster, the composer contract for "Tell Me" for example. Sure I am a collector and the scope is about my collection but it's a relatively impressive one. I have purposefully done it to a spec to make it affordable and great value.

Almost everyone will find items in there they haven't seen before as well as things they have in their own collections. You can read the first ever contract in full - I was honoured that Charlie called this the most poignant item in Exhibitionism - and it's still on loan to Unzipped, to the vicars hand annotated address from Brian's funeral. It's the only independent book ever to receive a handwritten dedication from all four band members and their permission to print them, so they liked it!

Date: November 30, 2021 02:40

mattleeuk
relatively

Is this a use of the word "relatively" that I have not previously encountered? smiling smiley

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: December 5, 2021 02:18

CaptainCorella
mattleeuk
relatively

Is this a use of the word "relatively" that I have not previously encountered? smiling smiley

Well you should see the stuff I have acquired in the last 9 months since the last shooting was done. There is plenty more amazing stuff out there. I am always looking for early stuff particularly concert posters. Please do hit me up if you have any leads on that kind of stuff, no point in wasting half on auction fees!

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: December 5, 2021 15:20

mattleeuk
daniel t

Hi Daniel,
I totally respect that but I think you would be pleasantly surprised. I am confident you would find lots of facts about the bands history that isn't covered in any other book. I kept a lot of things back to fist publish in the book. The earliest known concert poster, the composer contract for "Tell Me" for example. Sure I am a collector and the scope is about my collection but it's a relatively impressive one. I have purposefully done it to a spec to make it affordable and great value.

Almost everyone will find items in there they haven't seen before as well as things they have in their own collections. You can read the first ever contract in full - I was honoured that Charlie called this the most poignant item in Exhibitionism - and it's still on loan to Unzipped, to the vicars hand annotated address from Brian's funeral. It's the only independent book ever to receive a handwritten dedication from all four band members and their permission to print them, so they liked it!

Good for you... but still not interested.

Date: December 8, 2021 05:53

daniel t

One of the many things I love about this band is the many different ways people enjoy the band. Many listen to their music every day, many of them enjoy going to shows, sometimes lots, some collect things, so only collect things, some only collect certain types of things etc…. etc…. The important thing is we all share the same ultimate passion for The Rolling Stones.

There is no validity in claiming anyone a bigger fan because each of our relationships with the band are different, each person is constrained by different other priorities in their life etc… etc… I consider myself incredibly lucky because I am constrained by relatively little. Since September I have been able to attend all 15 US shows, buy a super early record breaking poster, buy three other pre 1965 posters and buy Keith’s jersey from Altamont. I am delighted to share my passion with the world in a book and very soon a free museum, but does than make me a bigger fan, absolutely not. Many give more than they have to attend just one show.

However you enjoy the band enjoy them to the full and be kind to your fellow followers.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 8, 2021 18:19

Matt. thank you for this warm and generous post, an ode to all us fans and the communities we have joined, in particular, IORR.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: December 8, 2021 18:27

mattleeuk
daniel t

One of the many things I love about this band is the many different ways people enjoy the band. Many listen to their music every day, many of them enjoy going to shows, sometimes lots, some collect things, so only collect things, some only collect certain types of things etc…. etc…. The important thing is we all share the same ultimate passion for The Rolling Stones.

There is no validity in claiming anyone a bigger fan because each of our relationships with the band are different, each person is constrained by different other priorities in their life etc… etc… I consider myself incredibly lucky because I am constrained by relatively little. Since September I have been able to attend all 15 US shows, buy a super early record breaking poster, buy three other pre 1965 posters and buy Keith’s jersey from Altamont. I am delighted to share my passion with the world in a book and very soon a free museum, but does than make me a bigger fan, absolutely not. Many give more than they have to attend just one show.

However you enjoy the band enjoy them to the full and be kind to your fellow followers.

keith's jersey from Altamont?

that sounds like a pretty awesome find

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: December 8, 2021 18:52

Matt,

Question: How can I get this in the USA without using Amazon?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 8, 2021 19:21

Kurt
Matt,

Question: How can I get this in the USA without using Amazon?

Quick google search finds several places..
Highly recommend getting through Powell's Books though (Portland).

My favorite, and Best Indépendant bookstore in the country cool smiley
[www.google.com] [www.powells.com]

Posted by: Jfk19562003 ()
Date: December 8, 2021 19:47

www.bullmoose.com
Great independent shop, no taxes.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 8, 2021 20:40

Or ask a local bookseller: ISBN 978 1787393073 .

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 8, 2021 21:19

As someone who isn't remotely interested in acquiring physical memorabilia (and couldn't afford it if I was), I'm delighted that someone - Matt Lee - does have the funds and the dedication to put such a collection together, and to share it in his book. I'll be getting a copy.

(And anyway, I've always known I'm not a real fan.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-08 21:20 by Green Lady.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1888
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home