Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

1972 Tour Video
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 29, 2020 23:37

According to Nico’sCompleteWorks Site, the Ladies and Gentlemen director filmed all four Texas concerts in their entirety.That would mean there are 45 filmed songs from those shows that once existed .Other than the 2outakes of Happy and All Down the Line,none have been released.There are also parts of songs from Los Angeles ,San Francisco ,Seattle New York and Philadelphia.There is also Midnight Rambler from I believe Houston which is not the same one in Ladies and Gentlemen.And there is the Dick Cavett crew who filmed All Down the Line.I wonder if complete performances of those songs exist or ever existed.I wonder if the 4 complete Texas shows other than the Ladies and Gentlemen performances are lost.

Re: 1972 Tour Video
Date: March 30, 2020 00:30

If they existed they would have been released already. Or they have a tough job editing the golden era sound.

Date: March 30, 2020 02:04

So what happened to the Ladies and Gentlemen 3 other concerts

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 30, 2020 12:29

May I please have Rocks Off, live, from the '72 tour? Thank you.

Date: March 30, 2020 12:55

Taylor1
So what happened to the Ladies and Gentlemen 3 other concerts

Probably not considered good enough to include in the film.

Audio-wise, we know that many of those songs were good, though.

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: March 30, 2020 13:46

Francis Ford Coppola filmed 250 hours for Apocalypse Now.
Less than 10 hours were finally kept, and the longest version is a 194 minutes movie.
All the other stuff was destroyed.

Posted by: ChrisMahavishnu ()
Date: March 30, 2020 14:18

To quote this AFI article;

According to a 9 May 1974 Rolling Stone article, Gebhardt and Freeze set a budget of $30,000 which was financed by Rolling Stones Records and shot 60,000 feet of 16mm film at four concerts in Texas, including two in the Fort Worth/Dallas area and two in Houston. Along with four additional cameramen, Gebhardt and Freeze filmed the concerts “mostly from the back of the halls” with a 600mm zoom lens to capture close-ups.

Which doing some basic math 60,000 feet of 16mm film would equate to 25 hours of footage, or just over 6 hours per show. Hopefully after editing was completed the unused footage was archived away and we might see more of it some day.

Date: March 30, 2020 17:40

Nico also says the Madison Square Garden July 25 1972 second show was filmed professionally in it's entirety except Rip This Joint and Bye Bye Johnny. It doesnt sound like it's the japanese video which is on you tube which is crappy . That was maybe the best show of the tour. But it was silent. Maybe it still exists and the sound could be dubbed. Plus maybe there is additional footage of concerts that Robert Frank filmed that the Stones have in their vaults

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: March 31, 2020 03:40

>filmed professionally in it's entirety except Rip This Joint and Bye Bye Johnny.

Figures. Best two songs of the set and those are the ones missing. Why does it always work out like this?

(These are the versions heard on the boot Welcome To New York, correct?)

jb

Date: March 31, 2020 04:10

jbwelda
>filmed professionally in it's entirety except Rip This Joint and Bye Bye Johnny.

Figures. Best two songs of the set and those are the ones missing. Why does it always work out like this?

jb
No,I believe Welcome to NY was the last show of the tour,which was Mick’s birthday.Robert Frank must have filmed more concert performances than what is in CS Blues.But who knows if they exist.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: March 31, 2020 09:36

Hate to say it but they may no longer exist.
That film disintegrates over time, Page said they had to painstakingly redo the footage they had of Zep and some of it was a lost cause.
I really want to think the Stones have everything restored from their entire career and a bunch of finished songs that will come out over time, if not and this stuff is gone forever that’s just sad beyond words

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: March 31, 2020 13:14

Taylor1
Nico also says the Madison Square Garden July 25 1972 second show was filmed professionally in it's entirety except Rip This Joint and Bye Bye Johnny. It doesnt sound like it's the japanese video which is on you tube which is crappy . That was maybe the best show of the tour. But it was silent. Maybe it still exists and the sound could be dubbed. Plus maybe there is additional footage of concerts that Robert Frank filmed that the Stones have in their vaults

I think I'd have died and gone to heaven if the MSG 25/07/72 show surfaced!!

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: March 31, 2020 16:18

Father Ted
Taylor1

Yeah, me too. That was my first Stones show ever. I was 18 and lucky to score 5th row seats via the postcard ticket lottery. I have a set of (bad) photos taken with my Instamatic camera.

HBK

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: April 1, 2020 08:25

Taylor1
jbwelda

jb
No,I believe Welcome to NY was the last show of the tour,which was Mick’s birthday.Robert Frank must have filmed more concert performances than what is in CS Blues.But who knows if they exist.

Is Welcome to New York the same boot as the one titled Madison?

plexi

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: April 1, 2020 08:29

HouseBoyKnows
Father Ted
Taylor1

Yeah, me too. That was my first Stones show ever. I was 18 and lucky to score 5th row seats via the postcard ticket lottery. I have a set of (bad) photos taken with my Instamatic camera.

HBK

But u know what ... those are your personal mementoes and u will treasure them forever. Bad doesn't matter. Same as I do with my "bad" fotos from my first show in '75.

plexi

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 1, 2020 08:52

….1792 tour footage would be wild ta see ….
or does it only exist as B&W cave paintings …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: April 1, 2020 11:22

That lovely Plundered My Soul video on youtube includes some great CS Blues (Robert Frank) footage that is not in the CS Blues movie, so apparently that was accessible to some extent. But who knows, Robert Frank may have been better than Rolling Stones Records (or whoever) at keeping his film rolls in shape.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: April 1, 2020 20:57

LieB
That lovely Plundered My Soul video on youtube includes some great CS Blues (Robert Frank) footage that is not in the CS Blues movie, so apparently that was accessible to some extent. But who knows, Robert Frank may have been better than Rolling Stones Records (or whoever) at keeping his film rolls in shape.

Of what I learned during the past several decades is that the Stones don't throw away filmed material consiously. Mistakes happen however. There are a couple of locations (UK and Belgium f.i.) where people are assigned to watch over decades old Stones material. Releasing old stuff is clearly a choice of the band members (when in agreement). I wouldn't know why at a certain time suddenly material is released, but I think it's a matter of sudden interest or some convincing individual within the Stones circle. For sure there is no worked out plan, which is a shame.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1980
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home