Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Your Favourite Rolling Stones Studio Guitar Solo
Date: March 28, 2020 15:44

1963luca0
Richards litterally invented Route 66
It’s All Over Now still kills me, 56 years after...
Bye, Luca

Yes those early solos are incredible. There is a live version of 'Route 66' somewhere that is awesome. I myself chose "Road Apiece" for early ones. Also 'Stewed & Keefed".

A lead guitar, that I really like is "Think". The guitar that plays the solo is kind of a clean sound, and has some arpeggios in there I think. But the really excellent track is the fuzz guitar, that is so obviously a horn line that it actually sounds like a brass section.

I have a Q to some of the other guitarists here: in the mid 70's Keith came upon a great sound, used on "Through the Lonely Nights", "Fool to Cry", "Coming Down Again", "Can you hear the Music" maybe too. I've wondered if he may be using a Phaser and a Wah at same time. Not sure how some of these guys found a way to accentuate the f/x from certain pedals; like I can not. Hendrix made that Univibe do things I am still trying figure out.

Date: March 28, 2020 16:05

Leslie?

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: March 28, 2020 16:09

Palace Revolution 2000
1963luca0
Bye, Luca

Yes those early solos are incredible. There is a live version of 'Route 66' somewhere that is awesome. I myself chose "Road Apiece" for early ones. Also 'Stewed & Keefed".

A lead guitar, that I really like is "Think". The guitar that plays the solo is kind of a clean sound, and has some arpeggios in there I think. But the really excellent track is the fuzz guitar, that is so obviously a horn line that it actually sounds like a brass section.

I have a Q to some of the other guitarists here: in the mid 70's Keith came upon a great sound, used on "Through the Lonely Nights", "Fool to Cry", "Coming Down Again", "Can you hear the Music" maybe too. I've wondered if he may be using a Phaser and a Wah at same time. Not sure how some of these guys found a way to accentuate the f/x from certain pedals; like I can not. Hendrix made that Univibe do things I am still trying figure out.

I can't remember hearing a second guitar on Can you hear the music. Thought it was only Taylor. Are you shure it's not Billys keyboard your'e refering to? Both Keth and Taylor used univibes between '69 and '75

Date: March 28, 2020 16:16

S.T.P
Palace Revolution 2000
1963luca0
Bye, Luca

I can't remember hearing a second guitar on Can you hear the music. Thought it was only Taylor. Are you shure it's not Billys keyboard your'e refering to? Both Keth and Taylor used univibes between '69 and '75

Keith plays the wah wah-riff (most likely through a Leslie). Taylor plays the double-tracked lead guitar.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: March 28, 2020 16:20

john lomax
john lomax
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

Keith's Short And Curlies deserves a mention. Many still think it's Taylor playing smiling smiley

I thought it was Tayloresque noodling, mind you? grinning smiley

It's definitely Taylor

Actually, I stand corrected. I listened again and I agree it is Keith. I'm pretty sure the slide in the intro is Taylor but I agree the rest if it is Taylor-esque noodling by Keith

What is Taylor-esque noodling? I’m assuming noodling is just playing without purpose? Well, show me where Taylor does that on a Stones studio recording. In fact, Richards on Short and Curlies is the BEST example of noodling on ANY Stones studio recording!

I petition we change the phrase to “Richards-esque noodling” or “Keef-esque noodling”.

Don’t get me started with “weaving” AKA “two guitarists noodling at the same time”.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-28 16:21 by TravelinMan.

Date: March 28, 2020 16:22

S.T.P
Palace Revolution 2000
1963luca0
Bye, Luca

I got kind of scattered when I was trying to ask my Q. Sorry.
I am wondering how Keith was able to get such massive phasing. It's like his sweep is more dramatic than I hear others achieve. Now I think he has some good crunch going anyway, so it isn't a lilting kind of phase to begin with. But on live "Fool" e.g.: did he use Phaser and Wah at same time?

Re the Leslie - it could also be that. But Leslie is a bit more subtle. I think Stevie Wonder e.g. subbed the Leslies out for Phasers.

Re "Can you hear the Music" - I think that may be a Leslie guitar. I thought for years it was an organ. But now I don't think it is. I believe it is a guitar, (plus the pianos, bass, flutes etc)

Be interesting to see what Mathijs thinks.

Date: March 28, 2020 17:06

Palace Revolution 2000
S.T.P
Palace Revolution 2000
1963luca0
Bye, Luca

I am wondering how Keith was able to get such massive phasing. It's like his sweep is more dramatic than I hear others achieve. Now I think he has some good crunch going anyway, so it isn't a lilting kind of phase to begin with. But on live "Fool" e.g.: did he use Phaser and Wah at same time?

Re the Leslie - it could also be that. But Leslie is a bit more subtle. I think Stevie Wonder e.g. subbed the Leslies out for Phasers.

Re "Can you hear the Music" - I think that may be a Leslie guitar. I thought for years it was an organ. But now I don't think it is. I believe it is a guitar, (plus the pianos, bass, flutes etc)

I still can't beleave that Keith plays wha wha on CYHTM. To me it sounds like Prestons organ. On the live recording from London, Billy uses wah on Doo Doo.

Date: March 28, 2020 17:10

S.T.P
Palace Revolution 2000
S.T.P
Palace Revolution 2000
1963luca0
Bye, Luca

I still can't beleave that Keith plays wha wha on CYHTM. To me it sounds like Prestons organ. On the live recording from London, Billy uses wah on Doo Doo.

It's a guitar smiling smiley

And Preston plays clavinet on Heartbreaker, not organ.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-28 17:11 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: March 28, 2020 17:15

I think Taylor is using a slide with that hi-fi pedal or whatever it’s called on Can You Hear the Music

Date: March 28, 2020 17:17

S.T.P
Palace Revolution 2000
S.T.P
Palace Revolution 2000
1963luca0
Bye, Luca

Re CYHTM - I mean that IMO it is a guitar, and that it may be a Leslie (with some kind of overdrive). That particluar song I agree: I don't think there is a Wah involved.
I am trying to get that very hard radical sweep. And Phaser alone doesn't seem to be doing it. There is a Dire Straits song ("Industrial Disease"), where at the end Knopfler is just throwing these growls out - that is the sound I'm talking about too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-28 17:23 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: March 28, 2020 17:22

<I don't think there is a Wah involved>

Seriously? How does he make the last note of the riff sound that way without it?

Classic use of wah wah to my ears.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-28 17:23 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: March 28, 2020 17:36

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-28 17:40 by S.T.P.

Date: March 28, 2020 17:37

DandelionPowderman

What makes you so shure it's a guitar?

Date: March 28, 2020 17:56

S.T.P
DandelionPowderman

Er, the attack on strings, instead of keys.

The only dispute here about this tune here for 23 years has been whether it was Jagger or Richards playing it. Pretty much concensus on the latter.

From timeisonourside.com:

Drums: Charlie Watts 
Bass: Bill Wyman 
Rhythm electric guitar: Keith Richards 
Lead electric guitars: Mick Taylor 
Lead vocals: Mick Jagger 
Backing vocals: Mick Jagger & Keith Richards 
Piano: Nicky Hopkins 
Flute: Jim Horn 
Congas: Rebop 
Tambourine: Jimmy Miller 
Percussion (incl. triangle, bells): Pascal

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 28, 2020 18:01

On CanYou Hearthe Music Taylor plays the solo.But isn’t Keith playing the other guitar that plays the riff throughout that sounds like an industrial machine

Date: March 28, 2020 18:12

We better continue this discussion in the track talk thread: [iorr.org]

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: March 28, 2020 19:30

I could list favorite Stones solos all day but I won't.

Here's a few favorites:

Dance Lil' Sister
Sympathy from Yayas
Sad Sad Sad from Atlantic City 1989
Sway
Bitch
All Down the Line
It's All Over Now
Wanna Hold You from St Louis 97 (at the end of the song)
Sympathy studio version
Time is on my Side
Tumbling Dice

...and many more!

Date: March 28, 2020 19:41

DandelionPowderman

Seriously? How does he make the last note of the riff sound that way without it?

Classic use of wah wah to my ears.

Yeah I can't hear it enough either way. It's a tough call.

It's a bit of a pity with that song because that one COULD have been a monster. The riff, the chords to the bridge are wonderful. Maybe it's that plodding tempo; that ride cymbal that drag it all down.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 28, 2020 20:36

DandelionPowderman
S.T.P
Palace Revolution 2000
1963luca0
Bye, Luca

Keith plays the wah wah-riff (most likely through a Leslie). Taylor plays the double-tracked lead guitar.

I clearly remember an interview from around the time of GHS's release where Keith states that he was "experimenting with all kinds of sounds" during the recording of GHS and in particular "wah-wah guitar played through a Leslie speaker" what "at first may sound strange but created wonderful and interesting sounds".

So yes, you are right.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: March 28, 2020 20:47

Heart Of Stone

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: March 28, 2020 21:11

On CYHTM there is an overdub: Mick Taylor plays his "solo". Very romantic. And that "solo" is repeated, but lower in the mix, in the last part of the song. Keith´s guitar is there, all the time. That´s my take on it, anyway. And it has been, since I was 16 years old, making out with my beautiful girlfriend. She loved The Stones too...especially the slow songs on Goats… :-D

Date: March 28, 2020 21:14

I've never deeply listened to Can You Hear the Music until now, but it's definitely an interesting mix. I've landed on a few theories:

• Mick Taylor (left) with some sort of sustained fuzz (Hi Fli or Colorsound) during the lead line. He first employs the fuzz ~1:51.

• It sounds like they stereo mic'ed Richards' Leslie, but the left channel is nowhere near as "watery"–you can really tell in the beginning before Jagger comes in. Perhaps he recorded the same part with a wah through two amps simultaneously, the left a normal amp and the right a Leslie. Or, it could just be mono double tracked with different settings, or it could be two different guitar players.

• Notice the octave effect here and there on Jagger's double. That could be the Hi-Fli's octave effect or tape manipulation.

If you listen to the Vienna rehearsals, Taylor uses a slide with his fuzz effect. Also sometimes he does these beautiful runs to approximate Nicky Hopkins' piano parts from the record. Preston plays organ on the rehearsal.

Side note: are we sure that's Wyman on bass?

Date: March 28, 2020 21:16

S.T.P
DandelionPowderman

I had to listen to it a few times because it definitely has that overdriven B3 organ sustain tone. I was thinking maybe there's an organ layered in there at parts, but I don't think so.

Date: March 28, 2020 21:26

DandelionPowderman

I'm sceptical, but OK. If that's Keith, it's awesome playing and a side of him I've never recognized before.
That put aside, he did a lot of cool stuff and explored many new sides of sound and guitarplaying in the late '60's/early '70'sthumbs up

Date: March 28, 2020 21:39

Keith once said in an interview that the riffs on CYHTM and Time Waits For No One were his. Also , who is singing the chorus at the outro of CYHTM with the deep voice.

Posted by: Ps37 ()
Date: March 28, 2020 21:55

Brian's slide on I Wanna Be Your Man.

Date: March 28, 2020 22:01

Taylor1
Keith once said in an interview that the riffs on CYHTM and Time Waits For No One were his. Also , who is singing the chorus at the outro of CYHTM with the deep voice.

It actually happens at parts throughout the song. At the end there is even a part where it goes up. I mentioned it my post above.

Date: March 28, 2020 22:03

S.T.P
DandelionPowderman

I'm sceptical, but OK. If that's Keith, it's awesome playing and a side of him I've never recognized before.
That put aside, he did a lot of cool stuff and explored many new sides of sound and guitarplaying in the late '60's/early '70'sthumbs up

It sounds like a very standard Keith-riff to me. Only with some different effects.

He took that even further with the hi fli on his guitar track on Time Waits For No One.

The phaser didn't come around until 1977.

Date: March 28, 2020 22:08

Keith's guitar solo on Bitch is great

Date: March 28, 2020 22:12

DandelionPowderman
S.T.P
DandelionPowderman

It sounds like a very standard Keith-riff to me. Only with some different effects.

He took that even further with the hi fli on his guitar track on Time Waits For No One.

The phaser didn't come around until 1977.

I think he’s using one on Wild Horses in 1975.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1458
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home