Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT Lost my son’ s watch
Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: March 26, 2020 20:27

My son let me wear his watch.It was a special,valuable watch that his Grandfather gave him.I went cycling and to my horror I returned and the watch was missing from my wrist.I retraced my route to search for it to no avail.I had a dilemma,tell him,replace the watch and hope he didn’t notice or not mention anything and say it was misplaced .Of courseI came clean and went for the first option.My son was incredibly understanding .I offered to replace the watch but he said “no”.
We think a pin on the bracelet may have come out.
Anybody had a similar experience of losing something precious that was loaned to them?Or losing something precious to them?

Re: OT Lost my son’ s watch
Date: March 26, 2020 20:41

very sad but shit happens.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: March 26, 2020 20:49

Forest Gump ...

Reading your story makes me feel very happy that such thing never happened to me, but, from the heart, I feel very sorry for you one way, but having a son like him should make you instantly happy too.
If he's old enough, share a beer with him
smileys with beer

Date: March 26, 2020 20:53

Put some flyers up in the neighborhood offering a reward for its return.

On the 7th day God created The Rolling Stones

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: March 26, 2020 21:22

Omg how sad. I would also suggest posting a notice locally concerning the watch and perhaps offer a reward for its return. Please let us know if it is returned to you. I wish you good luck. You have a wonderful son who doesn't want to see you hurting because of this. Stay well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-26 21:23 by steffialicia.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: March 26, 2020 21:26

Pray to Saint Anthony and retrace your steps once more. This time you will find it. Guaranteed. Works every time.

Date: March 26, 2020 21:37

Thanks everybody for your kind words and advice.Gonna post some fliers tomorrow and retrace my route.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: March 26, 2020 22:02

Is it possible to just buy a replacement?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-26 22:31 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: rlj1010 ()
Date: March 26, 2020 22:30

Did you look... everywhere?

[youtu.be]

Date: March 26, 2020 23:01

It would be an expensive replacement!
Yeah that film clip is funny,thanks

Date: March 26, 2020 23:03

You may be able to make a claim on your homeowner's insurance if you have proof of the watch.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 26, 2020 23:05

stargroover

My son let me wear his watch.

If it was an Apple Watch there's a possibility how it can be found when lost/stolen: [Support.Apple.com] .

Date: March 26, 2020 23:10

This is gonna hurt,it was a ROLEX sea dweller

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 26, 2020 23:22

…. I got a sun-dial tattooed on me wrist …

It's completely inaccurate …
….. useless in the dark … but you'll never loose it

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-27 06:16 by Rockman.

Date: March 26, 2020 23:24

stargroover

Yikes! You’re lucky to have such a wonderful son. May the good lord always shine a light on him!

Date: March 26, 2020 23:56

stargroover

[www.rolex.com]

Date: March 26, 2020 23:58

This is the reason I stopped wearing expensive watches. I once had the metal band break on my Tag Heuer while I was in the supermarket. Fortunately it fell into the shopping cart and wasn't lost or damaged. Now it sits in my desk along with an Omega and a Cartier. They are too expensive to fix and a waste of money IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-27 07:07 by TornAndFried.

Date: March 27, 2020 00:30

your probably right there TornaAndFried ,it was a gift to my son from his grandfather,
Anyhow sick and tired of beating myself up over it.Tomorrows another day.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 27, 2020 01:18

Sorry for your loss, but really, you`re wearing an expensive, irreplaceable watch while going for a bike ride. Hopefully, somehow, you are able to find it!!

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: March 27, 2020 06:12

stargroover

Just took a 5 second peak on eBay USA and the first 4 that came up
were about $9,000, $12,000, $13,000, and $6,000. Wow !

I wear an Omega Seamaster, in the house only, and now I am thinking I
should get the strap pins and lug pins checked.

I once lost a $200 watch and I believe a strap or lug pin failure
was the reason.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 27, 2020 07:06

I am still wearing the watch that my grandfather presented me 49 years ago.
Considering the cost of overhauls every few years, I could have bought an expensive one.
But the price is irrelevant because it's a kind of my lucky charm.

By the way, I wonder how these watchmakers are surviving even though the turnover rate of customers is not very frequent.

I hope it comes out.

Date: March 27, 2020 08:51

My regular normal day to day watch is an Omega watch that dates back to 1942.It’s an RAF navigators watch that was given to my father as an engineer on a Sunderland flying boat when he was stationed in Mombasa during the war.
I have worn this pretty much most days since I was 18 and I am 56 now.
It’s only valued at a fraction of the lost Rolex,but it’s value in sentimental terms is much higher than the Rolex.

Date: March 27, 2020 08:52

And Rockman I might just go for your sun dial option ,but on both wrists and be symmetrical.

Date: March 27, 2020 08:54

The omega has a leather strap

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: March 27, 2020 16:19

DGA35
Sorry for your loss, but really, you`re wearing an expensive, irreplaceable watch while going for a bike ride. Hopefully, somehow, you are able to find it!!

Could have been lost if he was wearing it to go to work or a wedding too.

Date: March 27, 2020 16:35

stargroover
My son let me wear his watch.It was a special,valuable watch that his Grandfather gave him.I went cycling and to my horror I returned and the watch was missing from my wrist.I retraced my route to search for it to no avail.I had a dilemma,tell him,replace the watch and hope he didn’t notice or not mention anything and say it was misplaced .Of courseI came clean and went for the first option.My son was incredibly understanding .I offered to replace the watch but he said “no”.
We think a pin on the bracelet may have come out.
Anybody had a similar experience of losing something precious that was loaned to them?Or losing something precious to them?

Yes. Ages ago In Rome, my dad was quite a player. And for his type of work he had a leather trench coat custom tailored for him. That thing was made from scratch by top fashion guys in Milan. Brown lamb's leather with a high, very cool collar. I am not even sure he'd wore it all that much yet. I was going out to a party, and really was all about looking good. I had to swear all kinds of oaths, to let me borrow that coat for the night. We only traveled by motorcycle. That night I was riding on the back of someone. You know where this is going: the coat became tangled in the chains, and back spokes, and totally mangled. It actually brought a motorbike to a stop. It was wearable ( by my standards), but the bottom tails were ruined. For days and days I held him off. I didn't see him all that much, but he insisted. Finally I had to come clean. I think by then he knew anyway. He just chalked it up to the city; gave me the coat. To this day I still have it.

Date: March 27, 2020 19:36

Nice story Palace

Date: March 27, 2020 22:19

Thankfully a happy ending!The watch has been found and I go and collect it tomorrow.
Yes my son and I said a little prayer and then I cycled back along the same route.
I posted some fliers and got a call within 30 minutes.The watch was safe.The lovely couple who found it had posted on a local Facebook page saying it had been found.I never saw the postings which had 150 responses.
Because the finders had posted the picture of the watch they were wanting proof.No paper work or record of serial number unfortunately.However they accepted recent pics of me wearing the watch and a copy of my iorr postings.
There is a god after all!
And apparently it was a pin that came out!And I thought a Rolex was indestructible .
Might cement the bugger in next time!

Date: March 27, 2020 22:28

Great news!

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: March 27, 2020 23:44

Glad you found it.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1094
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home