Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Goldmine
Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: March 26, 2020 22:48

Is Goldmine available in the States?

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: March 26, 2020 23:15

Thanks roller99 and MisterDDDD!!!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 26, 2020 23:44

spikenyc
Is Goldmine available in the States?

Definitely available.. printed in Michigan I believe.
Got a copy coming... probably show up in record stores etc. earlier, but I'm not going to try to track down ones that may be open still here in Wa.

Ordered a single issue (May), came to $8 and change.
Very helpful customer service people (had to call twice after retrieving issue month) Probably should have gotten a years worth (12 issues) $26 in retrospect.
1-877-300-0268 (U.S.), 1-386-246-3454 (Int'l).
[www.goldminemag.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-26 23:49 by MisterDDDD.

Re: Goldmine Article on The Rolling Stones by Ivor Levene
Posted by: djgab ()
Date: March 27, 2020 12:49

congratulations Ivor ! you deserve it

Posted by: Jfk19562003 ()
Date: March 27, 2020 14:21

Ebay has a few copies for sale.

Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: March 27, 2020 16:13

I have this in a pdf. How do I put a pdf up on this. And, is that OK?

Date: March 27, 2020 19:09

Bob C.
I have this in a pdf. How do I put a pdf up on this. And, is that OK?

You can make jpeg-files and post them here. Not legal, of course smoking smiley

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: March 27, 2020 21:47

Hey everyone,

First off, thank you all for the support and kind words, this article was done primarily for all of you in this great community. I truly would not be here if it were not for IORR. You all mean a lot to me.

Good news. Due to the current situation in the world, Goldmine is allowing the entire world to download the issue for free. I hope you enjoy it, it's dedicated to all of you.

Goldmine

Date: March 27, 2020 22:20

Wow, my Editor cut a lot of it to fit. It's supposed to be fully available on line next month. There were some brilliant insights by the promoter that address things like ticket prices, locations chosen, etc.

Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: March 27, 2020 23:02

Nice work - really enjoyable.

Date: March 27, 2020 23:25

" I fully expected the roar of the crowd to lift Mick up, to compel him to stop because he’s being drowned out by love and affection, much the way Keith is at times. Mick was having none of it as usual; he lets his actions and the band’s actions do the talking. Pow! ...
Mick is at the end of the catwalk. Boom! ... He’s running across the stage."

Exactly what I thought would happen at the opener in Chicago as well.
Great read.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 27, 2020 23:42

True. Me too.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: March 28, 2020 03:09

Bob C.
Nice work - really enjoyable.

Thank you!smileys with beer

Re: Goldmine Article on The Rolling Stones by Ivor Le
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 28, 2020 14:59

Nice job, Roller! You clearly had fun doing your research and it’s a great read. And...doesn’t this make all your tickets etc “research” thus tax deductible? A great way to finance a Stones tour, my devious little mind thinks. I wish I’d thought of that. winking smiley grinning smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 28, 2020 15:09

roller99
Hey everyone,

First off, thank you all for the support and kind words, this article was done primarily for all of you in this great community. I truly would not be here if it were not for IORR. You all mean a lot to me.

Good news. Due to the current situation in the world, Goldmine is allowing the entire world to download the issue for free. I hope you enjoy it, it's dedicated to all of you.

Goldmine

Congratulations, buddy! Very enjoyable reading! smileys with beer

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: March 28, 2020 15:58

roller99
Hey everyone,

Goldmine

Great read and nice job!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-28 15:59 by Sighunt.

My un-edited interview.
Date: May 24, 2020 20:06

When this got published, it was trimmed to fit. Unfortunately, the meat was trimmed, leaving out the comments of The Stones' promoter, John Meglen out. What he had to say about Ticketmaster and the whole mechanism of choosing show locations, ticket dumping, etc was in some ways more relevant than the band.

What Goes Into A Stones Tour (Un-edited)

Re: My un-edited interview.
Date: May 24, 2020 20:52

Got the mag, thanks for posting this unedited version!
Great stuff.

Some will still be skeptical or call it a lie, but from day one I've always believed the song vote to be legit.

"IL: Let's talk about the song vote. Sometimes it seems like the song vote is dead on, exactly what you expect, and other times it's like, where did that come from?

CL: Yeah, we're sometimes surprised, I'm probably batting about 70% on what my guess is that the fans would vote for. But you know, there's 30% of the time that I get really surprised and Mick feels the same way, you know? And we try to, I mean, listen, we play by the rules on that, you know, whatever the fans vote on, that's what we play. Sometimes it's tempting to cheat on it, but we don't do that. I would like to see an even broader spectrum of songs under that. There are other issues that you have to deal with. Like for instance, ballads. You know, Mick doesn't like to do too many ballads. We usually only do one per gig. In the past there have been times when we would talk about doing a little ballad section. So maybe you do Angie and Wild Horses together. Or maybe you do Sweet Virginia and Let It Bleed, which is more of a medium tempo song and then do a ballad along with it. But again, it is an issue if the band only wants to play X amount of minutes a night. That leaves you having to make some choices."

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: May 24, 2020 22:29

Very interesting.

I finally get Matt Clifford's part.

TR: Matt sort of bridges the rhythm section because he's got two or three keyboards on his rack, and he can play piano sounds, he can make organ sounds, like a Fender Rhodes, he can make string sounds or make it sound like a low brass or a trumpet. So he kind of does a lot of different sounds. So there's times he's playing with Chuck and while Chuck's playing an organ sound, he'll play a piano sound or vice versa. Or if Karl and I are playing a horn part, he'll join us and play a horn part. What Matt does is an integral part of the band; it's a bridge between the horns and the rhythm section.

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: May 24, 2020 22:51

Great read!!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 24, 2020 23:04

roller99
When this got published, it was trimmed to fit. Unfortunately, the meat was trimmed, leaving out the comments of The Stones' promoter, John Meglen out. What he had to say about Ticketmaster and the whole mechanism of choosing show locations, ticket dumping, etc was in some ways more relevant than the band.

What Goes Into A Stones Tour (Un-edited)

Great reading for the Sunday! Thanks for sharing!

Date: May 24, 2020 23:40

The Joker
Very interesting.

I finally get Matt Clifford's part.

TR: Matt sort of bridges the rhythm section because he's got two or three keyboards on his rack, and he can play piano sounds, he can make organ sounds, like a Fender Rhodes, he can make string sounds or make it sound like a low brass or a trumpet. So he kind of does a lot of different sounds. So there's times he's playing with Chuck and while Chuck's playing an organ sound, he'll play a piano sound or vice versa. Or if Karl and I are playing a horn part, he'll join us and play a horn part. What Matt does is an integral part of the band; it's a bridge between the horns and the rhythm section.

That's what I was hoping for, thanks!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 25, 2020 01:51

Thanks, Roller 99. Read the parts I was interested in. Thanks for asking those "fan questions" about setlists and so.
I wasn't expecting any answers from them (and I was right) but you tried your best.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: May 25, 2020 02:06

Just finished this, great, thanks!

I was also witness to the Mick "F*ck yeah" moment you wrote about, (in fact I included it in my review of that night, under Matt Shields Chicago #2).. We were near the catwalk and I'm pretty sure it was during Brown Sugar audience call & response and suddenly he turned our direction with a big smile and yelled it out..

Thx smiling smiley

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: May 25, 2020 02:35

This was very interesting to read. Thanks for posting it!

Date: May 25, 2020 05:19

Stoneage
Thanks, Roller 99. Read the parts I was interested in. Thanks for asking those "fan questions" about setlists and so.
I wasn't expecting any answers from them (and I was right) but you tried your best.

I do believe that the vote is real most of the time, in the sense that Mick won't put a song in that he hates. One of the guys told me they know what the choice is prior to the show, but it is legit.

Date: May 25, 2020 05:22

I was supposed to get Matt Clifford to participate, but their Publicist was pissed that I got the interviews without going through her, si I got put in Stones jail. Don't know if I'll every get satisfaction, but I try...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 25, 2020 08:42

roller99
Stoneage

I do believe that the vote is real most of the time, in the sense that Mick won't put a song in that he hates. One of the guys told me they know what the choice is prior to the show, but it is legit.

Thanks for your response. I was mostly referring to your questions about the warhorses and predictable setlists though. You described it very pedagogically to them.
Yet they didn't seem to grasp it. Or didn't care. I think it's because a) it has nothing to do with their function in the band b) they wouldn't dare to have an opinion
about their employer's decision-making. Understandably so.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 25, 2020 09:03

This was really fascinating, thanks for posting it!

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: May 25, 2020 10:57

Hi Roller 99,

That was a fantastic read which explained in enough detail the complexities or otherwise of the modern-day ticket buying situation, amongst other things.

Great work, thank you!

Cheers,

Simon.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1409
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home