Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Goldmine Article on The Rolling Stones by Ivor Levene - with un-edited addition
Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 25, 2020 19:54

Hi, all, as a sociologist/fan/writer and a student of the Rolling Stones and their fans, I am proud to support other writers, journalists, academics, and researchers covering the band. Ivor Levene has completed a project that recently landed him the cover photo and article of Goldmine magazine.

Here is a link to a piece he wrote about it on Facebook:

[www.facebook.com]
(Bjornulf I wasn't sure if we could link these. If not, feel free to remove.)

Here is an excerpt from his announcement on FB on 03/21/20:

"I am going to enjoy every moment of this. I've worked very hard and loved every minute of it to get here. Much thanks to my Editor at Goldmine for helping shape me and making my words look great. I've been aiming to have my photo grace the cover of a major rock magazine for decades, and today it came out.
I withheld a series of photos I shot last year at the tour opener in Chicago, in the hope that they would show up on Goldmine's cover. I feel these series of five or six photos are the best photos I've ever shot of Mick and Keith. Chuck Leavell and I discussed the exact moment when that photo took place, it was during the false start for Paint It Black, when Keith launched into Midnight Rambler, and the rest of the band kind of tried to follow, until "We waved him off" as Chuck put it. What you see in that photo is Keith's embarrassment and Mick Jagger reassuring him, as old friends would."...

Of course, there's my article to go with the photo, the cover story. I love how that sounds, so I'm going to savor this one. It's a love letter to the band and their fans, and IORR.ORG, which is a website filled with hardcore fans.
If you call Goldmine on Monday, you can get a copy or subscribe to the magazine and get one that way. It's a great magazine, it is the only true music magazine left for classic rock."

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-25 15:40 by bv.

Re: IVOR LEVINE's Goldmine Article on the Rolling Stones
Date: March 25, 2020 20:10

Way to go, roller99! thumbs up

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: March 26, 2020 19:20

Thanks Dandy! If you call the subscription department at Goldmine, they can get you one.

Re: IVOR LEVENE's Goldmine Article on the Rolling Stones
Posted by: Undercover1 ()
Date: March 26, 2020 21:06

Great job roller...

I got mine in the mail the other day and love it. I posted a small portion in Rockman’s “some kind of stones connections “ thread.

Undercover1

Date: March 26, 2020 21:20

Undercover1
Great job roller...

I got mine in the mail the other day and love it. I posted a small portion in Rockman’s “some kind of stones connections “ thread.

Undercover1

Thanks a lot Undercover1. I can't wait to see it myself, you write these things, but you don't see the finished product until it hits the magazine stands. The formatting looks great.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 26, 2020 22:09

roller99
Thanks Dandy! If you call the subscription department at Goldmine, they can get you one.

Congrats Roller!!

Looks fantastic.. Just called Goldmine, they're happy to send out a single issue, but they were out of stock for March issue. Is this one an April issue?

Looking forward to tracking one down.

*edit
See now it's the May issue.
Have one in route!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-26 22:14 by MisterDDDD.

Date: March 26, 2020 22:20

Date: March 26, 2020 22:56

angee
Hi, all, as a sociologist/fan/writer and a student of the Rolling Stones and their fans, I am proud to support other writers, journalists, academics, and researchers covering the band. Ivor Levene has completed a project that recently landed him the cover photo and article of Goldmine magazine.

[www.facebook.com]

"I am going to enjoy every moment of this. I've worked very hard and loved every minute of it to get here. Much thanks to my Editor at Goldmine for helping shape me and making my words look great. I've been aiming to have my photo grace the cover of a major rock magazine for decades, and today it came out.
I withheld a series of photos I shot last year at the tour opener in Chicago, in the hope that they would show up on Goldmine's cover. I feel these series of five or six photos are the best photos I've ever shot of Mick and Keith. Chuck Leavell and I discussed the exact moment when that photo took place, it was during the false start for Paint It Black, when Keith launched into Midnight Rambler, and the rest of the band kind of tried to follow, until "We waved him off" as Chuck put it. What you see in that photo is Keith's embarrassment and Mick Jagger reassuring him, as old friends would."...

Of course, there's my article to go with the photo, the cover story. I love how that sounds, so I'm going to savor this one. It's a love letter to the band and their fans, and IORR.ORG, which is a website filled with hardcore fans.
If you call Goldmine on Monday, you can get a copy or subscribe to the magazine and get one that way. It's a great magazine, it is the only true music magazine left for classic rock."

Keith must really have been lost. Not just wrong song, because that happens. But he's on the wrong guitar. He has used the same guitar for 'Rambler' for many years. And mainly because of the Capo - wouldn't muscle memory have told him immediately he was in wrong song?

Date: March 27, 2020 08:08

Palace Revolution 2000
angee

[www.facebook.com]

Keith must really have been lost. Not just wrong song, because that happens. But he's on the wrong guitar. He has used the same guitar for 'Rambler' for many years. And mainly because of the Capo - wouldn't muscle memory have told him immediately he was in wrong song?

He may have thought that he was given the wrong guitar, and it's easy to play without a capo as well. But, yes, it's unfathomable smiling smiley

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: March 27, 2020 10:18

I would have kept my mouth shut, but having Chuck say "We waved him off" rubs me the wrong way. If you look at the video, you will see Chuck finger-pointing at Keith for a really inordinate amount of time when Mick tries to figure out what happened. Not sure what he'd try to prove there. I'd like to see Chuck walk on with the wrong set of keys how about that huh

Date: March 27, 2020 10:24

Nikkei
I would have kept my mouth shut, but having Chuck say "We waved him off" rubs me the wrong way. If you look at the video, you will see Chuck finger-pointing at Keith for a really inordinate amount of time when Mick tries to figure out what happened. Not sure what he'd try to prove there. I'd like to see Chuck walk on with the wrong set of keys how about that huh

A classic thing to do on tours, when it comes to the very last gig, is sabotaging the other band members' instruments. Like putting super glue on the keys, rotten strings that will break any second, enormous feedback everytime the singer tries to say something between numbers, amps wrongly adjusted etc.

But the Stones are way past those internal pranks grinning smiley

Date: March 27, 2020 10:33

If I was Keith I would try and mess with Chucks SFTD sample, have him pull off a big fart or something

Date: March 27, 2020 10:40

Nikkei
If I was Keith I would try and mess with Chucks SFTD sample, have him pull off a big fart or something

Why do we believe it's Chuck's sample? Most likely it's the sound guy(s) who control that. Chuck is an old-school pianist/keyboardist. Back To Zero might be the most "modern thing" he has ever done smiling smiley

Date: March 27, 2020 10:44

The imperviousness of this guy is what gets to me

Goldmine
Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: March 26, 2020 01:05

Hi. Great article in this months Goldmine Magazine.
2019 behind the tour. I put is up when I get to work tomorrow

Re: Goldmine
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 26, 2020 01:45

Glad to hear it's in print. Looking forward to reading it. The Levenes are good people.

Date: March 26, 2020 18:39

More here: [iorr.org]

Date: March 26, 2020 19:21

Rocky Dijon
Glad to hear it's in print. Looking forward to reading it. The Levenes are good people.

Thanks Rocky!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 26, 2020 20:29

DandelionPowderman
More here: [iorr.org]

Thanks, Dandy. Posted the notice yesterday.
Bob C, much appreciated.

roller99, sorry about misspelling of your name, changed now.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-26 20:33 by angee.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: March 26, 2020 20:40

Missed the 2019 tour due to private, health related, problems, but sure would want to read the story. With Chuck checking the content it should be garanteed good reading. Just have to figure out how ...
The photos I saw via Facebook were beauties!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 26, 2020 20:45

This is not on subject specifically ie this new issue but I love (and have the issue) the BLACK AND BLUE Goldmine from whenever that was but:

have there been other issues talking about the Stones?

I've never looked, I suppose I could but... the BLACK AND BLUE one was fantastic since it wasn't just about that album but talked a little bit about TATTOO YOU.

It would be awesome if there were issues/articles about anything, really, from BEGGARS BANQUET through, for me anyway, UNDERCOVER. Although perhaps info on albums post-1983 would still be a good read, perhaps the subject matter wouldn't be as interesting.

Date: March 26, 2020 20:54

georgie48
Missed the 2019 tour due to private, health related, problems, but sure would want to read the story. With Chuck checking the content it should be garanteed good reading. Just have to figure out how ...

Thanks Georgie48. I wish I could figure out how to post them here.

Date: March 26, 2020 21:01

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: March 26, 2020 21:05

roller99
georgie48

I'm pretty hopeless in this too, but maybe some of the experts, who frequently do send photos may help out.
By the way, my second attempt to come over to the USA this year, with Vancouver (CN) and, on my birthday in Charlotte NC, was blocked by this bugger named "corona". Main thing .. let's all stay healthy until a next time!
You too!

Date: March 26, 2020 21:16

georgie48
roller99
georgie48

I'm pretty hopeless in this too, but maybe some of the experts, who frequently do send photos may help out.
By the way, my second attempt to come over to the USA this year, with Vancouver (CN) and, on my birthday in Charlotte NC, was blocked by this bugger named "corona". Main thing .. let's all stay healthy until a next time!
You too!

Thanks mate, nothing is more important right now than living to see the next Stones show! Stay safe!

Date: March 26, 2020 22:22

Date: March 26, 2020 22:22

Date: March 26, 2020 22:23

Date: March 26, 2020 22:24

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 26, 2020 22:29

HAHA! DAMN RIGHT the diehards complain about warhorses!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1869
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home