Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

RIP Manu Dibango
Posted by: djgab ()
Date: March 24, 2020 19:44

dear fellows

a great man left us, Manu Dibango.

https://www.nytimes.com/

"Manu Dibango, Soulful Ambassador of African Music, Dies at 86

His 1972 hit “Soul Makossa” arrived at the dawn of the disco era and made its way to dance floors across the United States, Europe and Africa."

I saw him live a few years ago and it was a really great mix of jazz, funk, world music and grooves.

rest in peace, Manu.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-24 21:29 by djgab.

Re: RIP Manu Dibango
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 24, 2020 19:52

I was saddened to learn of this today. I saw him several times back in his heyday and he always put on a cool performance. RIP, Manu. Another good one gone.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: March 24, 2020 20:31

Going to put on my favorite of his: Big Blow.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 24, 2020 21:28

I saw him in 1994 at a little club in New York called S.O.B.'s. I left the show early because I had to work the next morning, and found out later that I had missed a surprise appearance by Peter Gabriel who got up onstage to sing "Biko" during the encore. Mind you, this was a very small club, and I had been standing right in front of the stage. I've always regretted leaving that show early.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-24 21:31 by tatters.

Date: March 24, 2020 21:51

tatters
I saw him in 1994 [...] I had missed a surprise appearance by Peter Gabriel who got up onstage to sing "Biko" during the encore.

They played together the same year on the album Wakafrica. A great album full of classics and guests.

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 25, 2020 00:06

Saw him in the 1990s. Great show.

Date: March 25, 2020 03:12

https://www.npr.org

"One of the pioneers of Afro-funk music, the saxophonist Manu Dibango, has died of COVID-19. He was 86 years old, and died in Paris. Internationally, he was best known for his 1972 song "Soul Makossa," though his entire oeuvre could have been the soundtrack to a cooler 1970s than most people lived. But that one, funk-drenched hit, lit by Dibango's burning saxophone, went on to influence the sound of American disco — and its hooky spoken intro helped power songs by Michael Jackson and Rihanna."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1932
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home