Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Slade split!
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: March 23, 2020 22:31

[news.sky.com]
Wednesday 5 February 2020 19:49, UK

Slade split up after 50 years as drummer Don Powell is sacked by email
Powell claims he was told out of the blue that he would no longer be drumming for the group - but Dave Hill disputes that.

Slade's original drummer has been sacked from the glam rock group after being a member for more than 50 years.

Don Powell, 73, had been a member of the group, which is best known for its Christmas hit Merry Xmas Everybody, since the 1960s.

Don Powell says he was told of his departure in a 'cold' email
In a statement on his website, representatives of Powell said: "It is with great sadness and regret that Don needs to inform his fans that he now is no longer a member of Dave Hill's Slade.

"Dave has sent Don a cold email to inform him that his services are no longer required, after working together and being friends since 1963."

However, in a twist, Powell has set up a band rivalling Dave Hill's Slade - called Don Powell's Slade.

The statement added: "However, the great news is that Don is now fully fit to play drums again! He is coming back with his band who will be called Don Powell's Slade.

OT: Slade
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 23, 2020 22:55

That's news to the rest of the band...

[www.slade.uk.com]

Re: OT: Slade split!
Date: March 23, 2020 23:12

<Alex Bines now joins on drums>

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 23, 2020 23:18

I didn't know they were still around...

Was that Christmas song really their biggest hit?

Mama We're All Crazy Now, Run Runaway, My Oh My, Get Down Get With It come to mind (and the Qiot Riot covers).

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 24, 2020 00:19

This was the last I ever heard of them - way back in 1984 when they were constantly played on MTV:

Haven't heard it in years, but quite a nice catchy tune.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-24 00:20 by Hairball.

Date: March 24, 2020 01:17

Thing about Slade, they were a very good band. The earlier hits like "Look wot you done", "Cuz I Love You", "Take me home", and then "Gubuy t Jane" were fantastic. And the album tracks from "Slayed" e.g.
But even earlier when they were a band of thugs with shaved heads they wrote great songs.
It is the latter material, the songs they got huge on like "Skweeze me", and "Feel the Noize" and then even worse stuff, that are IMO lame.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: March 24, 2020 01:23

Slade split decades ago. What Hill and Slade 2 are doing is an abomination. It’s like Ron and Charlie hiring three of the cheapest players they can find and touring as The Rolling Stones

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: March 24, 2020 02:50

i thought slade chucked it back in the 80,s.

news to me they were still ongoing.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: March 24, 2020 03:14

buttons67
i thought slade chucked it back in the 80,s.

news to me they were still ongoing.

I found a tape of their last show in 1984 and put it on Dime a few years ago. After that they broke up and also did 1 song (Chuck Berry cover) at a fan convention in 1991. Otherwise this is some scab version.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 24, 2020 03:57

Any Slade without Noddy are kind of incomplete.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 24, 2020 04:46

Palace Revolution 2000
Thing about Slade, they were a very good band. The earlier hits like "Look wot you done", "Cuz I Love You", "Take me home", and then "Gubuy t Jane" were fantastic. And the album tracks from "Slayed" e.g.
But even earlier when they were a band of thugs with shaved heads they wrote great songs.

It is the latter material, the songs they got huge on like "Skweeze me", and "Feel the Noize" and then even worse stuff, that are IMO lame.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Apart from their early singles up until "Feel The Noize", their albums "Play It Loud" and "Slayed" included fantastic tracks like "Shape Of Things To Come" or "I Won't Let It 'Appen Again" and their "Slade Alive" album is a classic (check "In Like A Shot From My Gun" for example). They began to fade after "Skweeze Me" imo, but tracks like "Far Far Away" or "Everday" amongst others were still top notch. Great rock'n'roll band back in the day, always loved them.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 24, 2020 05:10

Hairball
This was the last I ever heard of them - way back in 1984 when they were constantly played on MTV:

That's the last time I heard them, too. They got a big boost in North America in 83 when Quiet Riot covered Cum On Feel The Noize. They followed that up in 84 covering Mama Weer All Crazy Now.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 24, 2020 05:54

Hairball

Always reminded me of the J. Geils Band's Centerfold ... eye popping smiley

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: March 24, 2020 06:01

Slade Alive is a killer album. Working class as @#$%& and all the better for it. Songs to shake the shit off to...

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 24, 2020 06:35

I remember Noddy I believe said they all got dinner maybe 20 years ago and he was so sadden they couldn't even make it through a dinner without old grudges being dredged up. Something to the effect that they made such great music and that he's not even really looking for a reunion but that its sad its not even a legit possibility between the 4 of them. You meet those people once in a lifetime.

They did all get back together for a This Is Your Life for Noddy I believe. But yeah, there was no band once he left.

Date: March 24, 2020 10:45

retired_dog
Palace Revolution 2000

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Apart from their early singles up until "Feel The Noize", their albums "Play It Loud" and "Slayed" included fantastic tracks like "Shape Of Things To Come" or "I Won't Let It 'Appen Again" and their "Slade Alive" album is a classic (check "In Like A Shot From My Gun" for example). They began to fade after "Skweeze Me" imo, but tracks like "Far Far Away" or "Everday" amongst others were still top notch. Great rock'n'roll band back in the day, always loved them.

This making me think about them, and stuff like "I don't mind". They also did great covers like "Darling be home soon", and the redhot "Move Over".

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: March 24, 2020 13:43

I was a big fan in my pre-teen years and finally got to see them in the early 1980's after their Reading Festival 'comeback'. In fact, I saw them 5 times in 18 months. Believe me, the original line up were a brilliant band live!

I wish they would give us one last hurrah like Status Quo did in 2013 and 2014.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: March 24, 2020 14:41

Mama but we're all crazy now received a nice enough diss on Scorsese and Micks TV show

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: March 24, 2020 19:28

The Joker
[news.sky.com]
Wednesday 5 February 2020 19:49, UK

Don Powell, 73, had been a member of the group, which is best known for its Christmas hit Merry Xmas Everybody, since the 1960s.

"Dave has sent Don a cold email to inform him that his services are no longer required, after working together and being friends since 1963."

I saw Slade early 1974 in Japan. They are not a 60s but a typical 70s band. However, friendship (and making music together) could have been earlier off course.
smileys with beer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1700
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home