Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith Richards owned Flying V
Posted by: Slowride ()
Date: March 22, 2020 00:04

Hi,

Any info on this guitar?:

[www.gottahaverockandroll.com]

Seems expensive

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-22 00:05 by Slowride.

Re: Keith Richards owned Flying V
Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 22, 2020 06:37

Keith Richards owned and played iconic Gibson Flying V prototype guitar. In the early 1960's Keith had a vintage Gibson Flying V that there are many photographs of him playing. He played the guitar at many iconic occasions including the Ed Sullivan show, it was one of his favorite guitars. The guitar went missing. This guitar is a replica of that very guitar made by Gibson for Keith. Very good condition. Comes with a letter from one of Keith's guitar techs and a Gotta Have Rock & Roll® Certificate of Authenticity.
[www.gottahaverockandroll.com]

Maybe Jimi took it in return for Mick banging Devon? winking smiley

This guitar is a replica of that very guitar

So it is not even the real thing? C'mon!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 22, 2020 06:44

Says he played it in the early 60s? I don't recall any pics of him playing it 63-66?

Posted by: ChrisMahavishnu ()
Date: March 22, 2020 06:53

As a Cutom shop Gibson guitar owned by Keith Richards (assuming the provenance checks out) i'm sure it would be worth in the tens of thousands of dollars, but I tend to doubt someone would pay 100K+ for a guitar which is not of historical significance. I think it is pretty poor form to not include the word replica in the title of that auction, it's a bit of a bait and switch tactic.

Date: March 22, 2020 07:09

He played the guitar at many iconic occasions including the Ed Sullivan show,

I didn't find any Ed Sulllivan show on youtube where Keith played a Flying V. He did play one, however, in the Hyde Park concert 1969:

[sweetnoisythings.com]
[www.pinterest.at]

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 22, 2020 07:34

doitywoik

I didn't find any Ed Sulllivan show on youtube where Keith played a Flying V. He did play one, however, in the Hyde Park concert 1969:

[sweetnoisythings.com]
[www.pinterest.at]

Actually apart from Hyde Park 69, what other shows did Keith play a Flying V? Did he use it in the 69 tour at all?

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: March 22, 2020 12:55

He only used it in Hyde Park, so much for "a fave guitar of his". Cool to look at but they're not a lot of fun to play. Back in 2001 I was about to buy one, I remember. 75 grand for a replica? Whoopee

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: March 22, 2020 12:55

DGA35
doitywoik

[sweetnoisythings.com]
[www.pinterest.at]

Actually apart from Hyde Park 69, what other shows did Keith play a Flying V? Did he use it in the 69 tour at all?

After Hyde Park he used it in a British TV Show. Think it was 'Ready Steady Go'.
Then he used it in the studio. It's shown in several pics from back then.

Date: March 22, 2020 13:04

Well, for one it wasn't in tune. I wonder if it ended up stolen from Nellcote by "junkie cook'. It shows up in Nellcote pics.

Date: March 22, 2020 13:29

If it wasn't in tune, tuning it may have helped ... Hard to believe that a Gibson built in the 60s was built so badly it wouldn't stay in tune, especially one without a tremolo system.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: March 22, 2020 15:59

doitywoik
If it wasn't in tune, tuning it may have helped ... Hard to believe that a Gibson built in the 60s was built so badly it wouldn't stay in tune, especially one without a tremolo system.

It was a very hot and humid day. The guitar not staying in tune has nothing to do with how well it was made.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: Slowride ()
Date: March 22, 2020 16:01

The way I read it, he was given a prototype flying V which got stolen and then they gave him a copy of the prototype. Still way too much money for a guitar that is not a signature Keith guitar, and was rarely played in public...

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: March 22, 2020 16:37

I believe Dave Davies of The Kinks played a V well before Keith did, at least judging by the available pictures. Before him, Albert King of course, among other blues artists.
In the late 60s there was no such thing as a prototype anymore I don't think.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 22, 2020 18:43

It’s a replica…

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: March 22, 2020 19:21

Looks somewhat like an early '80s Heritage reissue, with the wood grain running parallel to the neck as opposed to the edge of the body. However, the wood looks more like mahogany than korina, although that might be the lighting. I didn't know the Heritage reissues went as far as an F-series though; the single letter and three digit serial number is otherwise a unique feature of those reissues.

Date: March 22, 2020 23:24

According to Wikipedia, Gibson introduced the Flying V already in 1958, prototypes were manufactured in 1957. [en.wikipedia.org] If Keith had a prototype, it was a vintage instrument already back in 1969.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: March 23, 2020 04:59

Some interesting remark by Jimmy Page;

Led Vault: Jimmy Page Talks First Three Led Zeppelin Albums, Gibson and Harmony Guitars and More

A debate has raged for many years on what electric guitars were used on the first album.

“It’s hard for people to believe, but I just used my Fender Telecaster for the entire album, except for one track. Somebody was trying to sell me a Gibson Flying V at the time. I don’t what made them think I could afford it, because I clearly couldn’t, but I asked them if I could just try it out. I brought it into Olympic and used it on “You Shook Me.” With those big humbuckers, it was so powerful you can hear it breaking up the amp in the middle of the song. I could’ve tidied it up, but I really liked hearing the amp really struggle to get the sound out. It’s really fighting through the electronics to get out of that speaker. I’m not sure what happened to the guitar. It might’ve found its way to Keith Richards or something, but I really don’t know.

[www.guitarworld.com]

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: March 23, 2020 13:57

I didn't know Keith owned the Flying V Ranch in Wyoming, or was it Montana?

plexi

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 23, 2020 14:11

His original Flying V was stolen from Nellcote. It has turned up in the hands of a UK collector who still has it.

Mathijs

Date: March 23, 2020 14:15

If Keith can prove it was his Flying V that was stolen he can accuse the collector of thievery ?

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: March 23, 2020 14:49

[youtu.be]

Honky Tonk Women 1969

Date: March 23, 2020 16:38

TheflyingDutchman
If Keith can prove it was his Flying V that was stolen he can accuse the collector of thievery ?

No, not anymore. First the 'robbery' apparently wasn't a real robbery but by local maffia and part of a drug deal. Second is that Richards never had a real interest in getting the stuff back. Just about all guitars except for the Ampeg Dan Armstrong prototype have turned up, and as far as I know the Stones management never claimed anything back. Steve Marriott even bought one of the stolen Les Paul Custom's (with the middle PAF missing as it was taken out by Richards) in 1972 or 1973 and this guitar was not claimed back by Richards.

But it is a very vague event and timeline, with instruments reportedly stolen but turning up later in pictures (like the ES-355), or being 'given away' (like Taylor's SG), and the Micawber Tele, who supposedly was bought after the robbery, but appears in pictures and is heard on recordings from before the robbery.

Mathijs

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 23, 2020 17:46

Very strange indeed and the drug deal sounds like the cause . I mean why else with the muscle of the Stones attorneys would they not go after the parties involved and reclaim such iconic instruments used to make such historic and timeless mnasterpiece classics ? The fog and haze of drug use hangs over this matter very heavily indeed !

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: March 23, 2020 18:35

TheGreek
Very strange indeed and the drug deal sounds like the cause . I mean why else with the muscle of the Stones attorneys would they not go after the parties involved and reclaim such iconic instruments used to make such historic and timeless mnasterpiece classics ? The fog and haze of drug use hangs over this matter very heavily indeed !

What I think is that back in these days almost nobody of these famous guitarists considered his instruments as iconic instruments.
The guitars were just tools to them.
Of course the drug deal may also have been a reason to keep things quiet.

Just my 2 cts

Date: March 23, 2020 18:40

Phil Good
TheGreek

What I think is that back in these days almost nobody of these famous guitarists considered his instruments as iconic instruments.
The guitars were just tools to them.
Of course the drug deal may also have been a reason to keep things quiet.

Just my 2 cts
True vintage Sunburst Gibson Les Paul's were not worth half a million bucks like they are today . I still would hunt them down on principal alone and say this is the recording that said instrument was used on !

Date: March 23, 2020 19:49

TheGreek
True vintage Sunburst Gibson Les Paul's were not worth half a million bucks like they are today . I still would hunt them down on principal alone and say this is the recording that said instrument was used on !

thumbs up

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 24, 2020 11:05

As far as I recall from various sources, Keith was supposedly very sad after losing the guitars, but indeed, they probably didn't want to involve the police or authorities for obvious reasons (they had other more serious issues with the courts and all in '72 in the aftermath of the Nellcote period). Voluntarily walking into a police station wasn't exactly among Keith's routines.

Date: March 24, 2020 12:19

TheflyingDutchman
TheGreek

thumbs up
How is that for proving province on the significance and importance and proof of authenticity and ownership of said instrument ! If it were me I would all of the muscle both legal and other to reclaim property rightly belonging to me ! Vigilance is the key and resolve . C'mon Glimmers ! Also in regards to Keith's famous Burst with the Bigsby that was also owned and used by Mick Taylor . That one really burns me up and pisses me off that it is in someone's hands outside of Richards/Taylor !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-24 12:22 by TheGreek.

Date: March 24, 2020 16:06

TheGreek
Also in regards to Keith's famous Burst with the Bigsby that was also owned and used by Mick Taylor . That one really burns me up and pisses me off that it is in someone's hands outside of Richards/Taylor !

That Burst was sold by Taylor in 1971 to fund his drug habit. No foul play at all.

Mathijs

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1961
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home