Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: New Stones Half Speed Master LPs
Posted by: marquess ()
Date: April 9, 2020 13:02

Hello!

regarding Half Speed Master technique, see this link.
Kind regards

Miles Showell explanation

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 10, 2020 18:37

The 10 albums are also sold as a "bundle" which makes the double albums a little cheaper.
[store.udiscovermusic.com]

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 17, 2020 12:40

It seems that the release date is now delayed until 26th June 2020 - [www.Amazon.com] - [www.jpc.de] .

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 17, 2020 14:43

So... ARE these the same masters as in the last box set????

Rod

Date: April 17, 2020 15:45

bitusa2012

[Store.uDiscoverMusic.com] - "Every album was remastered & cut at revelatory Half-Speed at Abbey Road Studios" .

Why should they remaster the Albums again when they were already remastered two years ago? - [www.uDiscoverMusic.com] .

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: April 17, 2020 23:39

Its all about marketing and attempting to find an unlimited market for limited resources. In other words: just because they could, and you will be likely to buy.

jb

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 18, 2020 01:23

Why should they remaster the Albums again when they were already remastered two years ago?

Create employment ????

ROCKMAN

Date: April 18, 2020 18:45

Rockman

Create employment ????

And a cash cow - buying Remasters until they fit for the ears .... winking smiley

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: April 18, 2020 21:10

I know we all love this band on this board but they do like fleecing us hardcore fans, for which they have a track record. These half speed masters will be of no interest to casual fans and to be honest no interest to me. I'm sticking with my original vinyl copies recorded to the best possible quality at the time of release and that's good enough for me.

If you want me to open my wallet, give us some bonus material!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 18, 2020 21:21

Anyone going to ape about the fact that these vinyl LPs are being cut from a digital master, which makes it completely pointless regarding sound quality?

Date: April 18, 2020 21:25

Captain Teague

I'm sticking with my original vinyl copies recorded to the best possible quality at the time of release and that's good enough for me.

The 2018 remaster of 'A Bigger Bang' should sound better than the original ....

Date: April 18, 2020 22:00

GasLightStreet

Anyone going to ape about the fact that these vinyl LPs are being cut from a digital master, which makes it completely pointless regarding sound quality?

The digital masters are partly in DSD-format (like on SACD). Vinyl sounds better than SACD?

Date: April 19, 2020 00:17

Irix
GasLightStreet

The digital masters are partly in DSD-format (like on SACD). Vinyl sounds better than SACD?

HA HA! Eh, well, for the people that are strictly into the analog idea, from what I understand, that is a huge difference.

I personally don't know. I don't think I've ever listened to a vinyl LP from a digital recording.

Date: April 19, 2020 01:50

GasLightStreet

I personally don't know. I don't think I've ever listened to a vinyl LP from a digital recording.

So no latter day Stones-Albums? Miles Showell from Abbey Road said: "two or three of the later albums are digital recordings" -- [iorr.org] .

Date: April 19, 2020 04:48

Irix
GasLightStreet

So no latter day Stones-Albums? Miles Showell from Abbey Road said: "two or three of the later albums are digital recordings" -- [iorr.org] .

Ehhhhh, I don't think so. Only CD.

I recall Keith talking about tapes with BRIDGES so... STEEL WHEELS was digital. VOODOO? We know A BIGGER BANG was.

The last Stones vinyl album I bought was STEEL WHEELS. Although I'm not positive, I'd have to look through my vinyl collection. In fact, it may be the actual last vinyl album I bought. Haven't had a turntable for decades now.

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: April 20, 2020 15:31

GasLightStreet
Irix
GasLightStreet

HA HA! Eh, well, for the people that are strictly into the analog idea, from what I understand, that is a huge difference.

I switched back to vinyl last year. Because of the bigger sleeves and the warmer sound. Yes, I do think the vinyl sounds warmer (to my ears) than the (too) clean and sharp cd. I suppose you could make the cd sound the same with some tube preamp. I also like that for example ABB is now 4x 15 mins slices (appr.) instead of one one hour cake. Makes it more listenable. And the ABB vinyl (from the box set) has a far more ear friendly mastering than the brickwalled cd.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: April 20, 2020 18:10

Irix
bitusa2012

[Store.uDiscoverMusic.com] - "Every album was remastered & cut at revelatory Half-Speed at Abbey Road Studios" .

Why should they remaster the Albums again when they were already remastered two years ago? - [www.uDiscoverMusic.com] .

Hello,

If I am understanding well the subject, these are exactly the same Half Speed Remasters as in the BoxSet, but, this time, you can order the LP´s separately, not having to buy the complete boxset.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 18:11 by marquess.

Date: April 22, 2020 07:03

padre69
GasLightStreet
Irix
GasLightStreet

I switched back to vinyl last year. Because of the bigger sleeves and the warmer sound. Yes, I do think the vinyl sounds warmer (to my ears) than the (too) clean and sharp cd. I suppose you could make the cd sound the same with some tube preamp. I also like that for example ABB is now 4x 15 mins slices (appr.) instead of one one hour cake. Makes it more listenable. And the ABB vinyl (from the box set) has a far more ear friendly mastering than the brickwalled cd.

That's a great point, about A BIGGER BANG: although vinyl can be brickwalled from the input signal, it's impossible to literally brickwall a vinyl disc because the needle would not play.

Half Speed Masters - Now without the Box
Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: April 24, 2020 22:55

Has it been posted? Finally the half speed masters at a decent price.

[www.bravado.de]

Re: Half Speed Masters - Now without the Box
Date: April 25, 2020 14:00

schwonek

Has it been posted?

Yes, multiple times: [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] .

New release date seems to be now 26-Jun-2020.

Re: Half Speed Masters - Now without the Box
Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: April 26, 2020 01:42

Irix
schwonek

Has it been posted?

Yes, multiple times: [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] .

New release date seems to be now 26-Jun-2020.

I don't get why some people here are so miserable about Stones publishing stuff. Don't buy it if you don't want it. I do want Voodoo Lounge on vinyl but didn't want to buy the box. So I have a good reason to buy it.

Date: April 26, 2020 02:10

I have both Sticky Fingers and Some Girls Original Masters from MFSL.
I think they sound much better than the CD's I have purchased.

sound better?
thanks[/quote]
Just google and you'll get the answer.
I like this one the best winking smiley

"A lot of the Mobile Fidelity "Original Master Recordings (OMR)" LP's, use to come with sheets that described the process in great depth and detail.

There are still many professionals who will still argue that "Half Speed Mastering", was/is nothing more than a marketing gimmick, much like the Gold as opposed to Aluminum CD theory. It still comes down to the mastering. A poorly mastered album is still going to sound bad, Speed, or no Half Speed."[/quote]

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 26, 2020 14:24

The bottom line with these is that , assuming they are the same as the ones in the boxed set, they are on the whole very good.

Do the ones from the earlier albums in the series better or even equal the original analogue pressings ?

No they don't ...but they are probably the best vinyl reissues of all these albums to have been commissioned in the digital age... and for the later recorded albums which were digital from the outset, these remasters are arguably superior to the original releases.

ABB is definitely the star of the show...with far less compression than the horrendously brick walled original...it sounds like a different and far better album from start to finish.

I'd have loved these to have been available individually from the outset because there are a few of the earlier releases I wouldn't have bothered with .

But I've never regretted springing for the boxed set and would recommend these releases to anyone looking for decent vinyl editions.

Everybody with a turntable should buy the ABB ...because if you haven't heard this Miles Showell cut version...you haven't heard ABB.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-29 12:41 by Spud.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: April 26, 2020 19:52

Spud
The bottom line with these is that , assuming they are the same as the ones in the boxed set, they are on the whole very good.

Do the earlier ones better or even equal the original analogue pressings ?

No they don't ...but they are probably the best vinyl reissues of all these albums... to have been commissioned in the digital age and the ones which were digital from the outset are arguably superior to the original releases.

ABB is definitely the star of the show...with far less compression than the horrendously brick walled original...it sounds like a different and far better album from start to finish.

I'd have loved these to have been available individually from the outset because there are a few of the earlier releases I wouldn't have bothered with .

But I've never regretted springing for the boxed set and would recommend these releases to anyone looking for decent vinyl editions.

Everybody with a turntable should buy the ABB ...because if you haven't heard this Miles Showell cut version...you haven't heard ABB.

ABB star of the show? That's the big question for me. Did you compare the original vinyl and the half speed mastered if there is an improvement?
The original vinyl was more enjoyable then the cd. So another step in soundquality would be welcome..
To all the moaners: you can hear a difference in soundquality if you take a half speed mastered vinyl (like the first Abbey Road master of Exile some year ago) ,
BUT you need a decent HiFi system. With a cheaper one or an old one you won`t hear any differences. With a decent modern HiFi System the differences in soundstage, clarity and details are obvious, some more some less.

Tom

Date: April 27, 2020 15:06

Interesting points Tom.

Yes I agree...the better the HiFi system the more obvious some of these variances are.

(Indeed, the whole rationale of high compression brick wall mastering is to cater for the lowest common denominator of low quality and/or portable playback equipment.)

I'd also agree that the original ABB release on vinyl sounded better than the CD...[which for me is almost a given winking smiley]

But the new Miles Showell master is far less compressed , with a much more natural dynamic range and the resulting far more musical sound and feel.

Exile is also a very interesting case.

The earlier Abbey Road remaster of Exile from a few years ago was impressive in terms of clarity but remained overly loud, compressed and "in yer face" sounding. The one in the boxed set, possibly also from a different flat digital transfer, was mastered at lower levels but, again, with a much more natural dynamic range which makes for a far more musical result.

Are either as good an original analogue mastering & pressing ? No...but there's little point in getting into the jaded old analogue versus digital debate.

Even the real Luddites amongst us [like me] would admit that we no longer have original analogue masters in good enough condition to use for remastering projects. We have to use the digital transfers whether we like it or not.

The good news is that folks like Miles Showell have proven that we can produce decent sounding re-issues and that, in the absence of a pristine original pressing...all is not lost smiling smiley

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: April 29, 2020 18:24

Spud
Interesting points Tom.

Yes I agree...the better the HiFi system the more obvious some of these variances are.

(Indeed, the whole rationale of high compression brick wall mastering is to cater for the lowest common denominator of low quality and/or portable playback equipment.)

I'd also agree that the original ABB release on vinyl sounded better than the CD...[which for me is almost a given winking smiley]

But the new Miles Showell master is far less compressed , with a much more natural dynamic range and the resulting far more musical sound and feel.

Exile is also a very interesting case.

The earlier Abbey Road remaster of Exile from a few years ago was impressive in terms of clarity but remained overly loud, compressed and "in yer face" sounding. The one in the boxed set, possibly also from a different flat digital transfer, was mastered at lower levels but, again, with a much more natural dynamic range which makes for a far more musical result.

Are either as good an original analogue mastering & pressing ? No...but there's little point in getting into the jaded old analogue versus digital debate.

Even the real Luddites amongst us [like me] would admit that we no longer have original analogue masters in good enough condition to use for remastering projects. We have to use the digital transfers whether we like it or not.

The good news is that folks like Miles Showell have proven that we can produce decent sounding re-issues and that, in the absence of a pristine original pressing...all is not lost smiling smiley

That sounds promising,Spud. One day I`ll give it a try. I`m curiuos now winking smiley
For my ears the first Exile Abbey Road HSM didn`t sound so "in your face" . And most important they kept the muddy character/athmosphere of the original record. At least on my stereo system ..But I`ve read that they did another even better halfspeed mastering. Fun to explore...

Tom

Date: April 30, 2020 17:27

I have two favourite pressings of Exile.

One is my original 1972 "Artisan" pressing and the other a late 70's German Electrola labelled cut.

The original rocks more than any other, with huge but natural dynamics and a sparkling top end . The Electrola mastering is softer and sweeter sounding...a bit less energy but allows you to hear into that murky mix and follow the low level stuff with great ease.

(I sort of keep the original for dancin' and the Electrola for thinkin' smiling smiley )

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: May 1, 2020 05:26

I think Blue and Lonesome on CD is way way louder than even ABB!!!

Date: May 1, 2020 14:36

Yes, B&L is annoying !.

It's over compressed & cut too loudly on vinyl also.

...and it's the only album in the Abbey Road set that wasn't remastered .
Apparently they just used the original metalwork.

I've wondered why it wasn't reworked . Maybe because it was such are recent release at the time... and the project personnel didn't want to tread on any toes with implied criticism of the original job ?

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: May 13, 2020 01:38

On the official web store only Goat Head Soup is missing.
[therollingstonesshop.com]

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1904
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home