Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

no expectations - nice cover version ...
Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: March 18, 2020 23:15

hi,

good cover version...

[www.youtube.com]

Re: no expectations - nice cover version ...
Posted by: MrTurner ()
Date: March 19, 2020 03:45

That's a nice simple cover. It's one of the Stones most covered songs and quite often played in a country style.

Here is an example of one of Mick Taylor's performances - the song was a regular in his sets and as he says in his introduction, it's one of his favourites.

[www.youtube.com]

He tends to alter the lyrics a little but plays it beautifully. Good as it is, I feel his style of performance doesn't quite capture the pathos inherent in the song. Just my opinion...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-19 03:53 by MrTurner.

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: March 19, 2020 11:45

I heard nothing new in that cover. I think if you do a cover of a well known song, you should have a different angle to it compared to the original. Otherwise it’s a bit pointless.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 19, 2020 13:04

.,.... doubt it'd work as a death metal tune ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: March 19, 2020 16:38

His interpretation of the the song is his own. It sounds completely different then the original. He did not do the solo but did rhythm and it sounded like he did it in open G tuning. I don't believe KR was doing open G tuning at the time No Expectations was written. I like to think it was a nod to Keith.
Anyway itnis a pleasure and welcome diversion to discuss music during these dark days of corona virus. Stay safe everyone.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: March 19, 2020 19:43

In August of '01 (Gads! Was it that long ago?) I was sitting with a friend in the bar at 19 Broadway in Fairfax, California listening to MT's soundcheck. Our ears perked up and heads spun around when we realized he was playing his version of this song. To my knowledge MT had not yet played it live and the debut would not come for a few weeks. But it was a nice moment...What!!??

Posted by: WillInUK ()
Date: March 19, 2020 19:58

I saw MT in Dudley on a 'pea souper' of a night. He introduced the song as "This is a song from Beggars Banquet. Can anybody guess what it is?" nobody guessed it from his intro.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: March 19, 2020 23:33

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: March 19, 2020 23:51

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 20, 2020 01:49

No Expectations can't hardly go wrong with all the covers I've heard...................

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: March 20, 2020 13:43

Another great cover of a different Stones classic:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 20, 2020 14:49

"nice cover version"......makes me wanna puke

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: March 20, 2020 16:57

no expectations - nice cover version ... new
Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: March 19, 2020 16:38

His interpretation of the the song is his own. It sounds completely different then the original. He did not do the solo but did rhythm and it sounded like he did it in open G tuning. I don't believe KR was doing open G tuning at the time No Expectations was written. I like to think it was a nod to Keith.
Anyway itnis a pleasure and welcome diversion to discuss music during these dark days of corona virus. Stay safe everyone.

Yes the intro is I think some of Never Fall in Love off his album - A Stones Throw

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1858
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home