Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Key to the Highway - Dallas Rehearsals
Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: March 17, 2020 04:01

I revisit this collection every now and again, and I have to say, if you like Keef on lead guitar, there is an absolute bounty.

Key to the Highway is one example in particular. A jam with Richards, probably Hopkins on electric piano, Jagger coming and going on vocals, and another electric guitar. I think it’s played by Jagger, it’s really grungy and there isn’t much to it. I would imagine Taylor would add a little more spice, as he does on some other jams.

Thoughts?

Re: Key to the Highway - Dallas Rehearsals
Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: March 18, 2020 21:20

link?

Date: March 19, 2020 00:58

Well, I have time on my hands. I may get to posting this and some other highlights. Keep ya posted.

Date: March 22, 2020 16:49

After much scouring the tube trying to avoid uploading it myself, I came across this. It is incorrectly listed as 1964, but is in fact included in the reported 1972 Dallas Rehearsals.

Richards—at least I think that's him—plays some tasty licks all over this, and the second guitar comes in ~2:51. It could be Taylor or Jagger, I'm guessing. It's definitely the same guitar Taylor plays on other jams, but that doesn't mean he's playing it because it was said everyone was switching instruments. Also, the second guitar is never played while Jagger is singing.

What about electric piano, Stu? Hopkins? I'm thinking it might actually be Stu.

Date: March 22, 2020 16:54

My guess:

Jagger - vocals and guitar
Richards - guitar
Stewart - electric piano
Watts - drums

Date: March 26, 2020 00:47

Nobody has thoughts on this? Dandy? Mathjis? Buehler??

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 26, 2020 00:53

Why would Jagger be playing guitar during rehearsals for future live shows on the tour when he was not playing any guitar on these shows.I read the whole purpose of the rehearsals was Keith thought the band played bad in Kansas City and wanted the band to play better on future gigs.Therefore I don’t believe Jagger is playing guitar

Date: March 26, 2020 01:21

Taylor1
Why would Jagger be playing guitar during rehearsals for future live shows on the tour when he was not playing any guitar on these shows.I read the whole purpose of the rehearsals was Keith thought the band played bad in Kansas City and wanted the band to play better on future gigs.Therefore I don’t believe Jagger is playing guitar

From what I can tell, Richards is the only consistent performer during the entirety of the rehearsals. I’m not sure where I read it—may have been the studio engineer—but I remember something along the lines of the rehearsals being all over the place with people coming and going and switching instruments.

Date: March 26, 2020 02:12

"a lot of musicians sitting in, standing up, switching off on instruments, dozing, humming breaks, going for beer, and playing maybe one song all the way through,"

That’s from STP.

I noticed Sweet Black Angel from this set listed at 2:40. The one I have is 44 seconds. Is there a longer version?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 26, 2020 11:01

Taylor1

The reason is that they wanted to rehearse special songs for the shows that were to be filmed. That's why we have Don't Lie To Me, Sweet Black Angel and Dead Flowers.

Mathijs

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 26, 2020 12:22

TravelinMan
My guess:

Jagger - vocals and guitar
Richards - guitar
Stewart - electric piano
Watts - drums

I agree.

Mathijs

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 26, 2020 17:13

Why were these rehearsals recorded. And why if the purpose of the rehearsals were to practice songs for the Texas filmings like Dead Flowers are there no recordings of them. Other than Gimme Shelter, there are no recordings from the DallaS Rehearsals of any songs they played on the 1972 tour. These are different from the Rotterdam 1973 and the 1978 rehearsals

Date: March 26, 2020 17:29

Taylor1
Why were these rehearsals recorded. And why if the purpose of the rehearsals were to practice songs for the Texas filmings like Dead Flowers are there no recordings of them. Other than Gimme Shelter, there are no recordings from the DallaS Rehearsals of any songs they played on the 1972 tour. These are different from the Rotterdam 1973 and the 1978 rehearsals

They rehearsed for more obscure numbers to insert in the setlist for the filming.

Sweet Black Angel was most likely considered, and there is a fragment of that one.

They probably didn't consider the live version of SBA good enough to include in the film.

Date: March 26, 2020 18:05

DandelionPowderman
Taylor1

They rehearsed for more obscure numbers to insert in the setlist for the filming.

Sweet Black Angel was most likely considered, and there is a fragment of that one.

They probably didn't consider the live version of SBA good enough to include in the film.

Another member here mentioned that the entirety of the rehearsals were not released, just this selection. I’m not sure why. Open your vaults, people!

So Dead Flowers might have been rehearsed and the recording is sitting on somebody’s shelf.

Here’s an article with some more info: [www.dallasobserver.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 26, 2020 21:36

That's definitely Keith on lead - you can hear a bit more subdued version of that playing on Fancy Man Blues. And that has to be Jagger chugging away on the rhythm.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1557
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home