Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Blackberry Smoke
Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: March 9, 2020 11:18

A little bit late, but recently I got the new live CD set by Blackberry Smoke:
Homecoming - Live in Atlanta.
I´m a big fan of that band, especially on stage.
The live CD/DVD Leave A Scar _ Live in North Carolina was spectacular, and so is the new live CD. Southern Rock/Blues/Country/Whatever...And Charlie Starr is a great singer/guitar player and songwriter.
For all those who love the Stones, Faces, Georgia Satellites, Allman Brothers, 70-ies Lynyrd Skynyrd, ...

Re: OT: Blackberry Smoke
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 9, 2020 11:40

See also the Thread from 2014 about Blackberry Smoke: [iorr.org] , as well as here from 2010: [iorr.org] .

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 9, 2020 12:12

Liked them for years, but thats literally just coming from their album Little Piece of Dixie which is a decade old. Really like that album, so I can't explain why I haven't sought out any of their other albums besides that one. I guess its nothing other than laziness, cause its been the same seeing them live where I'd like but something always comes up. Really like that one album though, just heard it within the last month. I guess at this point with newer bands I don't like to invest myself if they're not totally going anywhere cause then I end up getting annoyed and hurt at another good band NOT making it. Not a healthy attitude but would be as close to the truth as I could convey. Seems like most of the bands I like fizzle out after an album or two, or completely change direction, so I guess I only listened to one album to not get totally invested.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: March 9, 2020 15:12

Too country for rock...too rock for country! cool smiley

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: March 9, 2020 16:55

I particularly love "Run Away From It All". That's just a great gem.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 9, 2020 17:16

Mixed it up...I thought you meant Blackstone Cherry...
I liked them opening for Alice C.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 9, 2020 18:02

Irix
See also the Thread from 2014 about Blackberry Smoke: [iorr.org] , as well as here from 2010: [iorr.org] .

They're the type of band where various new threads pop up occasionally, and then sort of dissolve into the void due to lack of interest.
I saw them back in 2015 open for ZZ Top at the L.A. County Fair, and thought they were OK - nothing more, nothing less.
Never looked much deeper though as most of their music sounds similar, and the retro southern rock band look and vibe seems a bit gimmicky
They sort of look like a combo of Lynyrd Skynyrd meets the Allman Brothers, but infortunately their sound is nowhere near either of those bands.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: March 9, 2020 18:13

Kind of a pop/country band disguised as a Southern Rock Band. Unfortunately all Southern Rock Bands turn Pop way too soon-Black Crowes, Kings of Leon, Alabama Shakes, etc. All started great but started to chase top 40 hits. I've seen Blackberry Smoke 3 times, each time they lose a little luster. I'm kind of having a crap Monday so I'll throw Gov't Mule under the bus too while I'm at it. I loved Gov't Mule in '98 & '99. Now I have to admit, the only thing good about a Gov Mule concert is the covers and only the covers. Just my humbled opinion....

OT: Blackberry Smoke
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 18, 2021 23:13

Interview: Blackberry Smoke’s Charlie Starr on tone, bluegrass and why we should all listen to the Rolling Stones

Starr unpacks the gear, songs and inspirations behind the Atlanta, Georgia rocker's stellar new album You Hear Georgia

By Jonathan Horsley
May 18. 2021

Stephen J. Cohen/Getty Images

[www.musicradar.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 18, 2021 23:20

any guy who mentions Monroe
...Piedmont and Rolling Stones
in an interview is on da right track .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: May 18, 2021 23:40

Love Blackberry Smoke and Charlie!
"Listen to the F'n Rolling Stones"
Cant argue with that!
thx for posting

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 18, 2021 23:42

I thought this was about some OG Kush substrain.

jb

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 19, 2021 02:40

I love the Blackberry Smoke; like Lynyrd Skynyrd they take playing music very seriously. You can feel the devotion to that rock and roll music. They have lot of great songs telling stories like country songs do. The guitars sound pretty good, lot of rythm and great chord progressions to support the great melodies that they come up with. A great band.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 19, 2021 03:29

I have tried to warm up to this group, but, in some way, maybe their being too derivative, there's no panache/swagger to their music, IMHO.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: May 19, 2021 03:52

I love these guys!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1655
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home