Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Journey cans bassist Ross Valory and drummer Steve Smith
Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: March 6, 2020 04:12

I meant technically, yes. I don't see what tolerance has to do with that though.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 6, 2020 04:58

jbwelda
You know, Journey once was a serious band, Santana band members doing avante fusion jazz music. Then they hired that singer, and it was all downhill from there...except they started having hits. The lights went down in the city a long, long time ago.

jb

So sad that they were a very different band. They were really good. Sure, nothing revolutionary, but good music. Was sad, but then ironic, that they broke when Perry joined. I don't hold it against them, but those first 3 albums were somethin else. No one even knows that.

As for what's going on, I'm shocked they'd even bother to do this. Journey is hanging by a thread and you're gonna spoil all that? This isn't the Stones, its friggen Journey. They should be thankful anyone still cares.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 6, 2020 08:47

Just looking at recent pics of the band, wow, how much plastic surgery have they had on their faces? Hard to even recognize a couple of them! Reminds me of recent pics of Kenny Rogers.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 6, 2020 15:43

SomeGuy
I meant technically, yes. I don't see what tolerance has to do with that though.
I don't care how much you hate Journey (and it's not like I'm a huge fan either), but at his peak, Steve Perry had one of most remarkable voices in the history of rock.

I know he gets shit for having a girly-sounding, wimpy voice, but he could hit unreal high notes and make it sound so effortless.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 6, 2020 16:13

keefriff99
SomeGuy
I don't care how much you hate Journey (and it's not like I'm a huge fan either), but at his peak, Steve Perry had one of most remarkable voices in the history of rock.

I know he gets shit for having a girly-sounding, wimpy voice, but he could hit unreal high notes and make it sound so effortless.

Yes, keefriff99. One of rock's best voices.

For his detractors, please let me hear you sing "Stone In Love", for example.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: March 6, 2020 19:43

keefriff99
SomeGuy

Are you suggesting that I hate Journey? Or generally? I was making a point that Steve Perry was a good singer just there. I don't expect many people on a Stones forum to like the band, but I do think that they made a fair number of good records (if you are prepared to see through the sometimes slick ballads) and live they are still sensational, Neal Schon simply never stops playing, however old he gets (some folks here don't like the idea of musicians actually being able to play their instrument, but I do). But again, not Stones forum material, so I wasn't pressing the point so far.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 6, 2020 21:17

SomeGuy
keefriff99
SomeGuy

Are you suggesting that I hate Journey? Or generally? I was making a point that Steve Perry was a good singer just there. I don't expect many people on a Stones forum to like the band, but I do think that they made a fair number of good records (if you are prepared to see through the sometimes slick ballads) and live they are still sensational, Neal Schon simply never stops playing, however old he gets (some folks here don't like the idea of musicians actually being able to play their instrument, but I do). But again, not Stones forum material, so I wasn't pressing the point so far.
No no, I was just responding to the board in general, not to you. Quoting you was probably unnecessary.

I pretty much agree with everything you said, especially about how it's not particularly surprising that Stones fans aren't into Journey's style. I guess my point is that you can listen to something and not like it, but still appreciate the skill or talent involved.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-07 01:33 by keefriff99.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: March 7, 2020 03:57

I was spending my time listening to Alton Ellis and Delroy Wilson so maybe that's the problem. I found the Journey vocalist to be extremely grating. Seeing them a couple times in their embryotic state probably sways me some too. They certainly have their fans. I preferred the Residents for local talent.

jb

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: March 7, 2020 04:24

The only two times I saw Journey, in 1978 two weeks apart, were night and day. First show was at Milwaukee's Grand Slam Jam and Journey was a godawful opener on the bill. Two weeks later, after Southside Johnny and Peter Tosh, they killed it opening for The Stones (who, of course, slayed them) at Soldier Field in Chicago. At the time, Chicago was a big Journey town and it showed - they fed off the energy and turned in a rousing performance. Of course, The Stones came on and took it to another level, but a good day all around. We were even seated below a box with Phil Donahue and Marlo Thomas(!)

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1745
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home