Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Journey cans bassist Ross Valory and drummer Steve Smith
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 5, 2020 19:09

An attorney for JOURNEY guitarist Neal Schon and keyboardist Jonathan Cain says that they "don't want to have anything to do with" the band's former drummer Steve Smith and bassist Ross Valory anymore.

This past Tuesday, Schon and Cain filed a lawsuit against Smith and Valory, who have been members of JOURNEY on and off since the band formed in 1973, claiming the two attempted a "coup" in order to gain control of the JOURNEY trademark.

The suit, which seeks more than $10 million in damages, accuses Smith and Valory of holding an "improper" shareholder and board of directors meetings last month during which they ousted Cain and Schon from leadership posts at Nightmare Productions under the "incorrect" assumption that the company held the rights to the JOURNEY name.

"Given Smith and Valory's greed, self-dealing and breaches of their fiduciary obligations, Cain and Schon expelled Smith and Valory from JOURNEY," the lawsuit, which was filed by Los Angeles-based firm Miller Barondess, said.

Skip Miller, a lawyer for Schon and Cain, told Rolling Stone: "The contracts are clear on their face. The JOURNEY name is controlled by Neal Schon and Jonathan Cain. And for very good cause, they don't want to perform with Smith or Valory anymore, they don't want to have anything to do with them, and that's their right. They're going to go on with JOURNEY, continue with the great success of the past and these two guys are going to get replaced."

In 1985, Schon, Cain and then-JOURNEY singer Steve Perry entered into an agreement via the corporate entity Nightmare Productions providing the trio with an "exclusive, irrevocable license" over the JOURNEY trademark. In 1998, after Perry's decision to leave the band, Perry, Cain and Schon entered into another agreement, which authorized Cain and Schon to control the use of the JOURNEY name going forward and expressly authorized them to perform together as JOURNEY, with or without anyone else.

The only other remaining member of JOURNEY is singer Arnel Pineda, who joined the group in 2007.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/journeys-neal-schon-and-jonathan-cain-dont-want-to-have-anything-to-do-with-steve-smith-and-ross-valory/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-05 19:33 by keefriff99.

Re: Journey
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 5, 2020 19:18

Re: OT: Journey cans bassist Ross Valory and drummer Steve Smith
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 5, 2020 19:19

Sad.....

grinning smiley

Date: March 5, 2020 19:32

There must be more to this story...I would trust the word of Valory and Smith over Schon and Cain any day.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: March 5, 2020 19:33

IF they knew in the 60's that rock n' roll would end in board meetings lol

Re: Journey
Date: March 5, 2020 19:33

bye bye johnny
Source: [blabbermouth.net]
Thanks, thought I inserted it originally.

Date: March 5, 2020 19:34

Hairball
Sad.....

grinning smiley
Ha, I'm sure you're crushed.

Date: March 5, 2020 19:38

Send It To me

that happened in the 1960's too

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: March 5, 2020 20:05

I wish they would just go away. Cain and Schon are both major douches. If there is any doubt just look at who they are married to. So I guess they will just go on flogging the Journey name as long as they can.

Date: March 5, 2020 20:08

TornAndFried
I wish they would just go away. Cain and Schon are both major douches. If there is any doubt just look at who they are married to. So I guess they will just go on flogging the Journey name as long as they can.
Yes, their choice of spouses alone makes me much more willing to believe there's more to this story.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: March 5, 2020 20:09

TornAndFried
Do they still have that Karaoke kid singing for them?

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: March 5, 2020 20:16

keefriffhard4life
Send It To me

that happened in the 1960's too

Yep, how the Beatles ended.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: March 5, 2020 20:28

It doesn't look like there's ever going to be a new Journey record anyway, so what does it matter.
I sort of glanced over the legal documents that were presented by Schon & Cain late last night and I'm still a bit confused as to who's at fault here. It appears that Valory and Smith wanted to retire, but make sure that the moneyflow (to them) would continue.
That these people hate each other's guts was already a known fact well over a decade (or two, three) ago.

Date: March 5, 2020 20:32

mighty stork
TornAndFried
Do they still have that Karaoke kid singing for them?
Well he's 52 now, but yeah.

Date: March 5, 2020 20:38

SomeGuy
It doesn't look like there's ever going to be a new Journey record anyway, so what does it matter.
I sort of glanced over the legal documents that were presented by Schon & Cain late last night and I'm still a bit confused as to who's at fault here. It appears that Valory and Smith wanted to retire, but make sure that the moneyflow (to them) would continue.
That these people hate each other's guts was already a known fact well over a decade (or two, three) ago.
Interesting.

Here's another article that delves into some more juicy detail:

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Apparently, Steve Perry was on the conference call and sided with Valory and Smith. The plot thickens...

Date: March 5, 2020 20:39

It's interesting that Cain simply abstained, rather than vote no.

Date: March 5, 2020 21:08

keefriff99

Exactly.
Schon was absent, probably because he was too busy rolling in the sand on the beach with his wife winking smiley

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: March 5, 2020 21:11

So, despite the attorney for Journey
Cain decided to abstain --

Does this mean the case for Schon is blown?

Date: March 5, 2020 21:33

SomeGuy
keefriff99

Exactly.
Schon was absent, probably because he was too busy rolling in the sand on the beach with his wife winking smiley
He and Cain both married whackjobs. She was the idiot who crashed the White House Correspondent's dinner in 2009, then ran off with Schon without telling her husband at the time.

And the less said about Cain's wife's role as "spiritual advisor" to the President, the better.

Date: March 5, 2020 22:40

keefriff99
SomeGuy
keefriff99

Exactly.
He and Cain both married whackjobs. She was the idiot who crashed the White House Correspondent's dinner in 2009, then ran off with Schon without telling her husband at the time.

And the less said about Cain's wife's role as "spiritual advisor" to the President, the better.

There's something of a tradition of musicians having weird spouses... and themselves being weird, too smiling smiley

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 6, 2020 00:26

I have tickets to see Journey/Pretenders a week after the Stones show in Vancouver. I wonder if they'll cancel the tour. Never was a huge Journey fan but tickets were cheap and I saw that they still had 4 members of their classic 80s lineup so I figured why not. It'll kind of suck if they get last minute replacements for Smith and Valory.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: March 6, 2020 00:33

What a mess...sounds like a miserable band to be a member of.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: March 6, 2020 01:08

DGA35
I have tickets to see Journey/Pretenders a week after the Stones show in Vancouver. I wonder if they'll cancel the tour. Never was a huge Journey fan but tickets were cheap and I saw that they still had 4 members of their classic 80s lineup so I figured why not. It'll kind of suck if they get last minute replacements for Smith and Valory.

They won't cancel their tour. It's easy for them to find replacements. They were able to replace their very popular lead singer and still be successful. Most of the people in the audience don't care who is on bass or drums. They suck anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-06 04:25 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 6, 2020 01:36

No wonder Perry left (and took the Journey of the hits with him).

Schon has always been a "look at me" type during his (many) solos. Must have a short _____.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 6, 2020 03:13

Hairball
Sad.....

Should we stop believing?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 6, 2020 03:31

schillid
Hairball
Sad.....

Should we stop believing?

Only if the lights go down in the city....

Date: March 6, 2020 03:45

Let's just see in the morning day and play some music of a lifetime in my lonely feeling.

Isn't this fun, wordplay, song titles and whathaveyounot smiling smiley But here we are, sweet and simple, just the same way, if you recall feeling that way.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: March 6, 2020 03:58

You know, Journey once was a serious band, Santana band members doing avante fusion jazz music. Then they hired that singer, and it was all downhill from there...except they started having hits. The lights went down in the city a long, long time ago.

jb

Date: March 6, 2020 04:03

That singer was actually a pretty good singer.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: March 6, 2020 04:08

I guess that would depend on your level of tolerance...mine is set pretty low. I guess at least he can carry a tune, na na na na na, na na na na na, na na na na na, and pretty deep lyrics

jb

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2105
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home