Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: OT: Genesis - 'The Last Domino?' Tour
Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: April 30, 2021 22:12

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 1, 2021 06:07

I've waited my whole life for original Genesis to reunite and unfortunately, it will clearly never happen. Listen, 3 person Genesis was never my thing, but its beloved by many and hopefully they will be able to pad these ticket sales. I agree that, while Peter would never do it, they'd be lucky to get Steve Hackett as another gimmick to drum up interest. However, it seems they all basically hate Steve, I have no idea why. He was barely featured in their documentary and he and I believe they have outright said they only want him if they get Peter and thats mostly because they'd have to be bothered to be asked WHY Steve isn't there. Apparently, they'd all be fine to do it without him. But if you don't have Peter, they think Steve is then a hinderance because they can't do Gabriel stuff and have too much stuff post Steve where its then weird to have him there. They'd rather just do the three of them.

To me, Gabriel Genesis is the only real Genesis. I wish these guys well, but god damn Phil might die before they actually get this tour off the ground. I wish they got back with Peter one last time, but I guess Peter wouldn't even be that Peter anymore. Oh well, a true relic of the past.

Date: May 2, 2021 18:17

I would not go to this without Peter.

Fauxgenesis is what they should call the tour.

Date: May 2, 2021 18:39

I agree that Genesis was at their best with Peter Gabriel. The Lamb is the second best double album ever, after Exile of course.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: May 2, 2021 18:52

makemeburnthecandle
I agree that Genesis was at their best with Peter Gabriel. The Lamb is the second best double album ever, after Exile of course.

I found this about one year ago and is very good:
[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 3, 2021 04:00

shattered
makemeburnthecandle

I found this about one year ago and is very good:
[www.youtube.com]

Thanks! I don’t think there’s any concert videos of Gabriel’s last tour with unfortunately.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 3, 2021 04:51

Here's a new one that recently surfaced from '73:

video: [youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-03 04:54 by kovach.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 3, 2021 14:45

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins's presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to "Land of Confusion." In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. "In Too Deep" is the most moving pop song of the 1980s about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your @#$%&. Phil Collins's solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like "In the Air Tonight" and "Against All Odds." Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is "Sussudio," a great, great song, a personal favorite.

-- Patrick Bateman

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 3, 2021 16:06

tatters
Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins's presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to "Land of Confusion." In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. "In Too Deep" is the most moving pop song of the 1980s about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your @#$%&. Phil Collins's solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like "In the Air Tonight" and "Against All Odds." Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is "Sussudio," a great, great song, a personal favorite.

-- Patrick Bateman

Okay, I need To read this book again. I love the film and Christian Bale is Patrick Bateman, but the novel is so much more. So much analytical detail grinning smiley

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: May 4, 2021 02:18

I'm a fan of both versions of Genesis. I do prefer Phil, as he seemed to make the music more airy and a bit more fun. With a resurgence in '80's nostalgia, I wouldn't be surprised if some younger fans wouldn't know who Peter Gabriel is...

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 4, 2021 08:14

dennycranium
I'm a fan of both versions of Genesis. I do prefer Phil, as he seemed to make the music more airy and a bit more fun. With a resurgence in '80's nostalgia, I wouldn't be surprised if some younger fans wouldn't know who Peter Gabriel is...

Sledgehammer was one of the biggest-hits of the 80’s, though. The video is still seen a lot.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: May 5, 2021 18:32

Been keeping an eye out for the ticket prices- floor seats at MSG are $2000 a pop, UBS Arena Belmont NY $900 for 2 tickets in the lower section at Belmont, regular seats- $370 face plus fees...Wow, I just dont get it. People are really willing to pay this kind of coin to sit in a (presumably) crowded stadium and watch an infirm Phil Collins and friends (on a telescreen, mostly) rehash the same greatest hits set (dropped another couple keys to acomodate Phils singing) they did from the previous cash grab tour? Seems cynical or worse. I would love to see people stay away in droves. How greedy can you get?

Date: May 5, 2021 20:53

My wife wanted to go, got tix in Columbus, $153+fees which brought it to $181.40.

Considering those appear to be the cheapest tickets...its a pretty d@mn expensive show considering I live in St. Louis so need a hotel and some time off work.

But.... oh well, can't take it with you.

Date: May 5, 2021 21:08

I would only consider spending that much if Gabriel and Hackett were with them being that none of these tour dates are near me.

Date: May 5, 2021 21:15

makemeburnthecandle
I would only consider spending that much if Gabriel and Hackett were with them being that none of these tour dates are near me.

Oh yeah, I probably wouldn't be complaining so much if that were the case!

All in all, 2nd most expensive ticket I've ever purchased (only behind Stones 50 and Counting tour at the United Center in Chicago).

I guess that's what I get for not taking her in 2007 holding out for a reunion with Gabriel & Hackett. She's never seen them before, I saw them in '84.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-06 15:33 by kovach.

Date: May 5, 2021 22:10

I'd travel anywhere for a Gabriel Genesis reunion, because presumably that would never NOT include Hackett to avoid questions about why he isn't there.

Date: May 5, 2021 23:02

For a fraction of the price, in a venue where you can actually see and hear everything- Steve Hacketts Genesis Revisited- which returns to the US in 2022 looks (and sounds)like alot better bet to me. Impressive performance...as are all the clips Ive checked out.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 6, 2021 01:16

I had a presale code and was trying to get NY tickets for a friend with a $150 price limit. Worst seats in MSG were $156 plus fees. Nope, not happening.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 11, 2021 23:30

Genesis - The Last Domino? - 27 Tracks - 2CD or 4LP-Vinyl - 17-Sep-2021:

[www.YouTube.com] , [SuperDeluxeEdition.com]

Date: August 11, 2021 23:45

This is the shit right here- and I daresay at a fraction of the cost...coming back to the USA next year....large theatres...

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 12, 2021 00:39

Irix
Genesis - The Last Domino? - 27 Tracks - 2CD or 4LP-Vinyl - 17-Sep-2021:

[www.YouTube.com] , [SuperDeluxeEdition.com]

The press release hints at the tracklist being close to the tour setlist. If so, should be a good show!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 21, 2021 23:09

If Genesis can play obscure tunes in an arena why can't the Stones ?!

[www.rollingstone.com]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 21, 2021 23:51

gotdablouse

[www.rollingstone.com]

Large picture

Large picture

Birmingham 20-Sep-2021 - [www.YouTube.com]

Birmingham 20-Sep-2021 - [www.YouTube.com]

Setlist Birmingham:

1. Duke’s End
2. Turn It on Again
3. Mama
4. Land of Confusion
5. Home by the Sea
6. Second Home by the Sea
7. Fading Lights
8. The Cinema Show (instrumental portion)
9. Afterglow
10. That’s All
11. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
12. Follow You Follow Me
13. Duchess
14. No Son of Mine
15. Fifth of Fifth (instrumental portion)
16. I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)
17. Domino
18. Throwing It All Away
19. Tonight, Tonight, Tonight
20. Invisible Touch
21. I Can’t Dance - Encore
22. Dancing With the Moonlit Knight (first verse) - Encore
23. The Carper Crawlers - Encore

Date: September 22, 2021 01:56

Can't really argue with that setlist. It's a good one. Here's the audio of last night's "Lamb Lies Down," mellowed out and slowed down to "Carpet Crawlers" speed. Kinda cool that they're doing it at all, though. They didn't play it on the last tour in 2007.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 22, 2021 03:00

Poor Phil...not only physically disabled - his vocals also seem to have changed/suffered... maybe that's partially due to the sitting/singing position?
Looks like all fans enjoyed it though, but this might be better suited to a small theater imo.

Date: September 22, 2021 03:37

Phil recently stated in an interview that Genesis will no longer exist after 2021 so apparently he no longer wants to tour or it’s physically too much for him. Too bad the US leg is limited to a handful of cities and excludes most regions of the country.

Date: September 22, 2021 04:18

Haven't watched anything yet but Phil's solo tour where he was also in a chair got incredible reviews so I just assumed he still sounded good. Cause that got extremely good reviews.

Date: September 22, 2021 13:09

makemeburnthecandle
Phil recently stated in an interview that Genesis will no longer exist after 2021 so apparently he no longer wants to tour or it’s physically too much for him. Too bad the US leg is limited to a handful of cities and excludes most regions of the country.

The 2007 tour was rather limited as well. 20 cities in Europe and 20 cities in North America. The U.S. tour was confined entirely to the northeast quadrant of the country, though they did play one show in Denver and three shows in California.

Date: September 22, 2021 21:39

tatters
Can't really argue with that setlist. It's a good one. Here's the audio of last night's "Lamb Lies Down," mellowed out and slowed down to "Carpet Crawlers" speed. Kinda cool that they're doing it at all, though. They didn't play it on the last tour in 2007.

[www.youtube.com]

Glad to be hearing it hopefully when I see them in Columbus though would prefer the electric version and they saved the acoustic set for stuff like they had on Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: September 22, 2021 21:49

Listening to night 1 now. Good gawd, this is terrible.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2022
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home