Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: OT: Genesis - 'The Last Domino?' Tour
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 23, 2021 15:24

I"m listening to a Steve Hackett show from this month that is surprisingly good. He does all of "Seconds Out" + some other stuff. He's got a good band & a singer that sounds reasonably like Peter Gabriel. None of the icky stuff. I saw Genesis in 1982 in LA before they went real commercial. They had Bill Bruford come out for the last few songs for a full on drum onslaught. Glad I got to see them like that. The next time I saw them they were doing Motown medleys & such. Fine music but not what I wanted to see from Genesis.

Date: September 23, 2021 15:51

crholmstrom
I"m listening to a Steve Hackett show from this month that is surprisingly good. He does all of "Seconds Out" + some other stuff. He's got a good band & a singer that sounds reasonably like Peter Gabriel. None of the icky stuff. I saw Genesis in 1982 in LA before they went real commercial. They had Bill Bruford come out for the last few songs for a full on drum onslaught. Glad I got to see them like that. The next time I saw them they were doing Motown medleys & such. Fine music but not what I wanted to see from Genesis.

Agreed, Steve’s band is great and his set list is awesome. Can’t wait to see him next year when he comes to the US.

Date: September 23, 2021 16:03

makemeburnthecandle
crholmstrom

Agreed, Steve’s band is great and his set list is awesome. Can’t wait to see him next year when he comes to the US.

I met him once, when he was touring "Spectral Mornings". Nice guy. I used to listen to a lot of prog rock but not so much anymore. I think the mega Yes tour was the push over the cliff. That & a Peter Gabriel show where there were 10,000 lighting cues. After the Peter show I sped across town for a Paul Westerberg solo show. 2 guitars, Marshall stacks & a cloud of smoke in a club. As much as I like some of Peter's stuff, I was way more moved by Westerberg's performance. Guess I'm kind of a punk rocker at heart. These days, I do enjoy some King Crimson once in awhile. It took awhile for me to get into the 3 drummers out front thing but they've sounded good the last few tours. Fripp is just a magician!

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 8, 2021 18:43

Date: October 8, 2021 22:23

Yikes, and more than one band member. Feel sorry for all the fans that were attending these shows. Looks like Genesis will be playing in 2022 after all.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: October 9, 2021 21:02

makemeburnthecandle
Yikes, and more than one band member. Feel sorry for all the fans that were attending these shows. Looks like Genesis will be playing in 2022 after all.

It didn't mention the shows in the states being cancelled.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 9, 2021 21:09

My sister in Vancouver sent me a text saying a person she knows in Amsterdam flew to Glasgow to see Genesis, only to find out hours before the concert that it's been cancelled. I wouldn't be too happy!
Probably kind of like me flying from Vancouver to LA to see a concert.

Date: October 9, 2021 21:19

DGA35
My sister in Vancouver sent me a text saying a person she knows in Amsterdam flew to Glasgow to see Genesis, only to find out hours before the concert that it's been cancelled. I wouldn't be too happy!

I started going to the box office the day of the show.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: October 9, 2021 21:32

DGA35

You’ve obviously never been to Glasgow grinning smiley

Nate

Date: October 10, 2021 00:19

DGA35

I drove from Seattle to Vancouver for the "Duke" tour only to have it cancelled a few hours before showtime, Evidently Bongohead was bummed because his ex wife lived there along with the kids.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 10, 2021 00:24

Let's face it............... it's the risk you have to take if you want to see a band or artist you love to see live.

All my gigs since Covid have been at local pubs where I live, or Pryzm at Kingston, again local to me where I've seen Imelda May a couple of weeks ago.

Manic Street Preachers coming up at same venue on October 20th.

Personally I just wouldn't venture very far these days, to see a live gig. smileys with beer

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 10, 2021 05:05

crholmstrom
DGA35

I drove from Seattle to Vancouver for the "Duke" tour only to have it cancelled a few hours before showtime, Evidently Bongohead was bummed because his ex wife lived there along with the kids.

Phil's ex lived in Vancouver, daughter Joely was born here. She starred in several tv shows throughout her life. I saw Phil in concert around 1990 at the Coliseum. I remember his son Simon came on stage to play drums on Easy Lover. He wasn't too old then. Phil's other daughter Lily is a pretty famous actress.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 11, 2021 03:56

God damn, the world is not letting Genesis just have this tour and go away. Sorry for them, seems like they really just want to give the people a nice show, despite all the odds. Eventually Phil will be able to relax lol.

Date: October 11, 2021 05:50

These folks never ever put on a bad show.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 10, 2021 19:31

Went to see them in Columbus Wednesday.

Sad to see Phil getting around so poorly with a cane and sitting in a chair singing. He's 70 and looks about 85. Voice is still good, a little weaker and he has backup singers covering some of the high notes. He still has his sense of humor and had the crowd laughing many times. And his voice got stronger as the show went on.

All in all, sounded and looked great, always a great light show, even more important now to take the focus off Phil (his 'tambourine solo' was very subdued due to his health).

Pretty good setlist, some good old ones from the Peter Gabriel years (some just the instrumental parts, others full songs).

Here's some clips I took:

[youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-10 19:33 by kovach.

Date: December 10, 2021 19:53

Thanks for the review and video links Kovach. I give Phil credit for touring one last time, could not have been easy. The ultimate dream would be to have Peter Gabriel come back when Phil has finished but that is obviously unlikely.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 10, 2021 20:33

Going to the Boston show next Thursday. My buddy is a fan, I hope he enjoys the night......

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 10, 2021 21:30

makemeburnthecandle
Thanks for the review and video links Kovach. I give Phil credit for touring one last time, could not have been easy. The ultimate dream would be to have Peter Gabriel come back when Phil has finished but that is obviously unlikely.

Yes, that's why I skipped 2007, figured eventually the reunion with Gabriel and Hackett would take place, but lost hope and went anyway this time.

Date: March 26, 2022 16:13

Looks look tonight will be the last Genesis show ever at the O2. Anyone here going?

Date: March 26, 2022 16:40

makemeburnthecandle
Looks look tonight will be the last Genesis show ever at the O2. Anyone here going?

Please post a video of the crowd before the show. Have fun, it's flawless.

Date: March 26, 2022 17:00

Sorry, not going myself just checking if anyone here was. Should be an epic night!

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: March 26, 2022 17:03

I went last monday in the Amsterdam Ziggodome. It was a very good and solid show. Even Phil Collins his vocals were great even better than during his last solo show in Nijmegen 2019. Although he got some help from 2 backing vocals. But still the version of Mama was impressive even with the laugh. With Nicolas (his son) on drums most of the sounded even more powerfull then during the last tour in 2007. I really had a great evening with a show of almost 2,5 hours.

Posted by: rockerparis ()
Date: March 26, 2022 17:22

Good show, much better than expected
Light show and screens were impressive

Date: March 26, 2022 17:23

Date: March 26, 2022 17:25

Date: March 26, 2022 17:32

@Rockerparis
You made some great pictures of the show!!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 26, 2022 17:55

Genesis, O2 London, 24-Mar-2022 (Video runtime 2h:24m) :

[www.YouTube.com]

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: March 26, 2022 20:33

saw them last year in Manchester, great show, they are still rocking smiling smiley

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Date: March 26, 2022 23:47

With Peter Gabriël in the audience Phil Collins confirmed during tonight’s show that this was the last show ever for them.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 27, 2022 01:49

Mabru
With Peter Gabriël in the audience Phil Collins confirmed during tonight’s show that this was the last show ever for them.

Jesus. Peter just won't ever get back onstage with them lol. If he was there, and it was the last show... come on. I would have sang background or something.

But that is special that they were all there. I just love early Genesis so much that it would have been incredible to ever get Peter out with them beyond their one 1982 show.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2001
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home