Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: OT: Genesis - 'The Last Domino?' Tour
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 28, 2020 18:34

DGA35
GasLightStreet
keefriff99
RollingFreak
[www.dailymail.co.uk]
Sheesh, what a saga. I know it takes two to tango, but his once-and-future wife sounds like bad news.

And even though the Mail is a sleazy tabloid, this article comes close to swaying me to the idea that maybe he should just leave well enough alone given his condition.

Never knew about the affairs or the paint can. Wow. That's really F'd up.

Just read the article. His popularity rivaled Elvis and Michael Jackson?! I can guarantee you he's not raking in huge royalties from album sales these days, very few are! Probably the reason he wants to go out on the road again, one last big payday. That as well as the fact that he's been a musician all his life and that's what he's done.

I've seen that elsewhere, too, not sure how to interpret that. Are they saying his records sold in the same manner as Elvis and Jacko? I suppose that's possible. As in, a ton of sales for whatever singles... because it certainly isn't for his entire career. It has to be when Take Me Home, Take A Look At Me Now, In The Air etc were huge.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 28, 2020 19:15

He also won an Oscar for Tarzan in the 90s. Obviously that was kinda a comeback for him, and no I'd never really compare him to Elvis or Michael, although Phil Collins has been a huge name for a very long time for many different reasons. With Genesis, solo, just as an in demand working musician with shit like Live Aid, Genesis comeback, getting an Oscar, Genesis comeback yet again. He's kind of like a cockroach who's just part of a lot of different successes. And I don't begrudge the guy in any way. He seems like a good unassuming man who just has a lot of talent. He's done some great things in his career.

And honestly, after Bad or something, what did Michael Jackson ever REALLY do. He had an incredible career as a child star with the Jackson 5, an explosion in the first decade of his solo career with Off The Wall, Thriller and Bad. After that? Has he been any more or less in the public eye than someone like Phil Collins. I don't think anyone is like Elvis, and certainly what Michael did in the 80s solidified him as a massive star for the rest of his life. But I can understand the Collins comparison because whenever he seemed done he came back out swinging with different stuff.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 11, 2020 21:19

I actually prefer the Phil Collins Years up through Genesis Album ( "Illegal Alien" notwithstanding). I like the straight-ahead rock sound they had in that era, and there were some good pop songs and ballads mixed in. After the Genesis Album, not so much. Some of Phil's solo songs are guilty pleasures.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-11 21:20 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 30, 2021 14:50

22-Jan-2021: Last Domino? Tour postponed again (now: 15 Sep 2021 - 13 Oct 2021) - [Twitter.com] , [www.NME.com] , [iorr.org] .

Large picture

Date: January 30, 2021 15:10

Happy 70th Birthday, Phil Collins. smileys with beer

[Twitter.com]

Re: OT: Rumor, Genesis to announce reunion. Just the three. Not full original
Date: January 30, 2021 15:18

I agree with this 100%.

Was sick of hearing Phil 20+ years ago.

Elmo Lewis
After living through the 80's, I hope I never hear Phil Collins' voice again.

Mike's either.

Date: January 30, 2021 15:54

Definitely prefer the Peter Gabriel era and some early albums with Phil (Trick of the Tail, Wind and Wuthering). Hope they can pull this tour off.

Date: February 1, 2021 03:16

RollingFreak
He also won an Oscar for Tarzan in the 90s. Obviously that was kinda a comeback for him, and no I'd never really compare him to Elvis or Michael, although Phil Collins has been a huge name for a very long time for many different reasons. With Genesis, solo, just as an in demand working musician with shit like Live Aid, Genesis comeback, getting an Oscar, Genesis comeback yet again. He's kind of like a cockroach who's just part of a lot of different successes. And I don't begrudge the guy in any way. He seems like a good unassuming man who just has a lot of talent. He's done some great things in his career.

And honestly, after Bad or something, what did Michael Jackson ever REALLY do. He had an incredible career as a child star with the Jackson 5, an explosion in the first decade of his solo career with Off The Wall, Thriller and Bad. After that? Has he been any more or less in the public eye than someone like Phil Collins. I don't think anyone is like Elvis, and certainly what Michael did in the 80s solidified him as a massive star for the rest of his life. But I can understand the Collins comparison because whenever he seemed done he came back out swinging with different stuff.

He's been compared to Elvis and Jacko in some publications in regard to his record sales, which, respectably so, were astronomic.

But in any other way? Hell no. Elvis got fat, Jacko molested children, Phil just kind of got geeked away and smarmy. Something changed after NO JACKET REQUIRED - his muse left. He had some very intelligent and emotional songs, solo (FACE VALUE through NO JACKET) and with Genesis (DUKE through GENESIS and a couple songs on the cheeky INVISIBLE TOUCH). When he worked on his first album, three songs from it were run by Genesis and they opted for Misunderstanding. They felt In The Air Tonight was "too simple".

His songs, Genesis and solo during the front portion of his solo career, dealt with his wife and their divorce. Could that be the most public divorce in music history?

Posted by: podiumboy ()
Date: February 1, 2021 03:31

Why bother? Concerts won't be possible by September anyway. I think the real issue with all of these concerts is that they can't afford to refund everybody, so they keep kicking the can down the road. These shows aren't going to happen.

Date: February 1, 2021 03:43

podiumboy
Why bother? Concerts won't be possible by September anyway. I think the real issue with all of these concerts is that they can't afford to refund everybody, so they keep kicking the can down the road. These shows aren't going to happen.

Of course everyone can be refunded. The aspect of an open contract with venues that most likely have clauses in the contracts that tend to something beyond a fire, like a pandemic, allows the management to continue to make interest on the money until there is a commitment from the venue to cancel or for that matter the artist/band.

Posted by: podiumboy ()
Date: February 1, 2021 04:42

Do you think they have the ability to refund every single ticket for every single concert that will be cancelled? AKA all of them. At some point they won't be able to kick the can anymore, and will have to acknowledge that all of these shows aren't going to happen, give people their money back, and then TM/LN will cease to exist as a business due to no events. It's going to take a long time to get everybody back their money.

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: February 1, 2021 11:55

podiumboy
and then TM/LN will cease to exist as a business due to no events.

That would definitely be a positive from the pandemic!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 1, 2021 13:40

Captain Teague
podiumboy

For sure as in no more ripping off folks .

Date: February 2, 2021 02:42

podiumboy
Do you think they have the ability to refund every single ticket for every single concert that will be cancelled?

Yes. No one will lose money except the venues.

Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: February 2, 2021 08:36

The german ticketing service Eventim found a solution to get through the pandemic smiling smiley

[www.iq-mag.net]

Captain Teague
podiumboy

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 2, 2021 22:11

GasLightStreet
RollingFreak

He's been compared to Elvis and Jacko in some publications in regard to his record sales, which, respectably so, were astronomic.

But in any other way? Hell no. Elvis got fat, Jacko molested children, Phil just kind of got geeked away and smarmy. Something changed after NO JACKET REQUIRED - his muse left. He had some very intelligent and emotional songs, solo (FACE VALUE through NO JACKET) and with Genesis (DUKE through GENESIS and a couple songs on the cheeky INVISIBLE TOUCH). When he worked on his first album, three songs from it were run by Genesis and they opted for Misunderstanding. They felt In The Air Tonight was "too simple".

His songs, Genesis and solo during the front portion of his solo career, dealt with his wife and their divorce. Could that be the most public divorce in music history?

"Please Don't Ask" from Duke is one hell of a song.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 29, 2021 19:31

2021 North American dates announced:
[www.genesis-music.com]

Posted by: Keefy ()
Date: April 29, 2021 19:54

It's going down...Hopefully rescheduled Stones dates will happen soon..

On with the show, good health to you...
Keefy

Date: April 29, 2021 20:40

bye bye johnny

[Twitter.com] · Large picture

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 29, 2021 20:45

Irix
bye bye johnny

[Twitter.com] · Large picture

All US dates are in the North East? Odd, unless they plan on adding other US legs.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 29, 2021 20:49

podiumboy

Black Crowes start their tour at the end of June. Time will tell, but I'd guess they'll play in June. Everyone over 16 in the US can get their vaccines NOW. Everyone over 16 that wants to be, will be fully vacced by mid-May.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 29, 2021 20:59

The Detroit show, at least, seems like quite a leap of faith, considering that our governor is currently allowing Little Caesars Arena to sell only 750 tickets for basketball and hockey games.

Date: April 29, 2021 21:10

New York City businesses will fully re-open in July - restaurants, stores, movie theaters will be allowed to operate at full capacity starting July 1, 2021 (Broadway in September 2021) - [www.WSJ.com] , [www.NYTimes.com] .

Date: April 29, 2021 21:39

NashvilleBlues

All US dates are in the North East? Odd, unless they plan on adding other US legs.

They played 20 cities on their 2007 North American tour, sixteen of which were in the eastern half of the continent. They did play one show in Denver and three in California. The southernmost city they played (with the exception of L.A.) was Washington D.C.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-29 21:45 by tatters.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: April 29, 2021 21:53

Heres Phil on his last tour in 2019- its pretty cringe-worthy, poor guy. It seems to me the'yd be open to involving Hackett and/or Gabriel just to do some of the heavy lifting and give Phil some breathing room during the shows. Dont know about Gabriel but Hackett has repeatedly said he'd play if asked. I believe Tony Banks runs the whole operation...

[youtu.be]

Date: April 29, 2021 22:04

roryfaninva
Heres Phil on his last tour in 2019- its pretty cringe-worthy, poor guy. It seems to me the'yd be open to involving Hackett and/or Gabriel just to do some of the heavy lifting and give Phil some breathing room during the shows. Dont know about Gabriel but Hackett has repeatedly said he'd play if asked. I believe Tony Banks runs the whole operation...

[youtu.be]

Good lord, it's almost like he's a spectator at his own concert. Kinda reminds me of some old dude you might wind up sitting next to at the show and he won't stop singing at the top of his lungs and ruining it for everybody. grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-29 22:09 by tatters.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 30, 2021 00:36

While I've always like some of those Phil Collins vocal era Genesis tunes (Abacab, etc), I always preferred the experimental Peter Gabriel era (and Peter Gabriel solo) way more.
I actually saw the Phil era band live mid-late '80's at Dodger stadium, and it was pretty bad. Can't imagine how it will be now considering Phil Collins' physical disabilities.
Wondering if he'll be playing the drums on any tunes, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that he gave those up many years ago. Whatever the case, hope it's a success for the band and fans alike.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: April 30, 2021 03:34

They've added backup singers just to make it even less Genesis-y. Guess most of these 'classic' bands do that now. The Moody Blues did it in 1986, and of course, The Stones in '89...

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 30, 2021 17:20

Hairball
While I've always like some of those Phil Collins vocal era Genesis tunes (Abacab, etc), I always preferred the experimental Peter Gabriel era (and Peter Gabriel solo) way more.
I actually saw the Phil era band live mid-late '80's at Dodger stadium, and it was pretty bad. Can't imagine how it will be now considering Phil Collins' physical disabilities.
Wondering if he'll be playing the drums on any tunes, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that he gave those up many years ago. Whatever the case, hope it's a success for the band and fans alike.

I agree, been holding out for the reunion with Gabriel and Hackett but at this point that appears to be out of the question.

Supposedly the rehearsals have shown 2 drum kits, so apparently he's planning to play on some limited basis.

Maybe they could at least get Dave Grohl's throne that Axl used to sit in rather than just a folding chair the lifted from the audience. Or at minimum a bass drum and pedal like Gabriel used to have. grinning smiley

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: April 30, 2021 21:53

Grohl's throne is probably too big for Little Phil.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1733
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home