Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: OT: Rumor, Genesis to announce reunion. Just the three. Not full original
Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: March 5, 2020 04:19

RollingFreak
I wasn't alive at the time, but just to guess from everything I've read and followed, its that he just had MASSIVE singles in the 80s that people kinda just got sick of him. Coupled with the fact that Genesis drastically changed their sound, and I guess since he was the frontman he could kinda be seen as leading that charge (even though it was very much a band decision), I can understand why at a certain point people were like "ENOUGH Phil Collins."

If I'm wrong, I'd also love to hear the real reason. Cause there are some people that really do @#$%& hate him and I have no idea why. Back in the old days of Genesis, he was a GREAT drummer. Definitely underrated. Nothing mindblowing, but incredible solid and did some really inventive things with the weird music they were playing. He was as much a part of that band as anyone else. And then his great harmonies, and subsequent lead voice were excellent. Its insane how they lose Peter and just have Phil sing who sounds basically exactly like Peter. He saved that band, and props to him cause he really didn't want to be thrust in the spotlight and took it well. Also from everything I've seen, the guy has a great sense of humor, is really down to earth, and just incredibly talented, from his Broadway stuff like Tarzan to his very successful solo albums which aren't my thing but did him well. I know people got annoyed when he played drums at the Led Zeppelin reunion at Live Aid but again, not really his fault. He's filling in and did the best he could. Traveled across the ocean to do it on the same day.

I have no idea why people hate him. He seems like, of the people in Genesis, by far the one that would be coolest to hang with and be friends with. Seems just like an honest to god good guy, with a boatload of talent that he's incredibly humble about.

I remember the 80s, and the reason was he just got to be such a predictable cliche -- on top of that, he kept writing the same song over and over. Ever notice how most every one of his solo singles is about the tragedy of a love affair gone wrong?

Genesis was really popular with kids I went to high school with in the early 80s; they had some big albums and songs that had a definite signature sound, even though it wasn't the same approach as the Peter Gabriel era. I was never a fan, but I liked when Follow You, Follow Me would come on the radio. Nice tune, nothing else like it at the time.

However, it does really say something about the credibility of the Peter Gabriel era when a metal-head kid I hung out with could actually appreciate the Genesis of that era -- to my surprise, I found out when the song came on the radio one time that he really liked The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway.

So, early 80s with Phil Collins at the helm, their popularity was at its peak.

Then Phil Collins becomes this big singing star in his own write, and he starts playing drums for other artists. Eric Clapton was trying for a big comeback around that time, and dammit, Phil Collins just ruined that album Behind The Sun, which had some great tunes. But everything that can be considered wrong with the sound of studio drumming in the 80s is epitomized by the sound Phil Collins was using for his drums on Clapton's album.

As a solo star, long-time fans started getting fed up -- Su-Sudio (spelling?) was the last straw for some.

And as I mentioned above, he was churning out the same song over and over. I believe early on in his career his wife left him while he was out on tour, and eventually he just kept writing songs about this event over and over, every time the same sweeping tragedy of romance gone wrong, set against the colorless backdrop of bloated 80s production values.

He had become a top 40 cliche.

However, I don't doubt that Genesis will rake in big bucks on the 80s high school reunion class circuit, with oldsters my age wanting to hear further live renditions from their early 80s heyday, while I sit here at home with my Beatles and my Stones and all the other staples of my great escappe, which at the time helped me to forget that I was living in a Journey-Foreigner-Genesis world.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 5, 2020 05:07

Nicely done, stone66. I cracked up at several points reading that!

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: March 5, 2020 07:07

I was in high school and college in the '80s, so I remember the "Phil era" quite well...stone66 summed it all up quite nicely!

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: March 5, 2020 09:03

Posted by: calipachangero ()
Date: March 5, 2020 10:25

mtaylor
Totally embarrassing...

[www.youtube.com]

You are embarrasing your self being an unsensitive prick!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 5, 2020 11:15

mtaylor
Totally embarrassing...

[www.youtube.com]

The bass player is killer!

Date: March 5, 2020 11:40

Jah Paul
I was in high school and college in the '80s, so I remember the "Phil era" quite well...stone66 summed it all up quite nicely!

Those ballads from his solo albums though...

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: March 5, 2020 14:33

I find some of the comments rather rude and insensitive. I'm not a big fan of Genesis or Phil Collins. Saw them in Montreal in 2007 'cause my girlfriend of the time was nostalgic about her teenage years. The show wasn't bad but certainly not enough rocking to my taste.
I certainly won't go see them again and I'm one of those who think Genesis shouldn't be back on stage. It's sad to see Collins in such condition. Maybe he could write again and do some studio work. As I said, I've never been a fan but I have some respect for his work. I don't know... I wouldn't like to see Jagger walking on stage with a cane and spending the show sitting on a chair.
Just my two cents.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: March 6, 2020 00:06

Whoever has been forcing Phil Collins onstage the past few years should be prosecuted for elder abuse.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 6, 2020 00:11

Dan
Whoever has been forcing Phil Collins onstage the past few years should be prosecuted for elder abuse.

What if its him? He certainly has more than enough money that he wouldn't have to do anything. And he didn't do anything for a long time. I assumed he wanted this.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 6, 2020 00:34

Read that Phil's son Nic will be playing drums while Phil sticks to singing. I saw Phil in concert around 1990ish in Vancouver when he was really popular. I remember his son Simon came on stage to play drums during Easy Lover. He must have been a young teenager then.
Simon and sister Joely lived in Vancouver with their mom then.

Date: March 6, 2020 01:11

RollingFreak
Dan

What if its him? He certainly has more than enough money that he wouldn't have to do anything. And he didn't do anything for a long time. I assumed he wanted this.
Exactly.

Elder abuse?? He's 69, not 89, for Chrissake. He flat-out said in the video posted above that his back is @#$%& and that getting old sucks. He's fully aware of his situation but he still wants to go out there and sing.

It's not like he was ever Mick Jagger or Angus Young onstage anyway. It's sad to see, but he's having fun and the fans are enjoying it.

Date: March 6, 2020 04:52

Yeah, if anything I kinda admire him. He could so easily do nothing and doesn't. He has a great voice. Its cool he's still trying to use it. I just wish I cared more about the stuff he was singing.

Re: OT: Genesis - 'The Last Domino?' Tour
Date: March 9, 2020 04:46

Date: March 9, 2020 14:53

RollingFreak
[www.dailymail.co.uk]
Sheesh, what a saga. I know it takes two to tango, but his once-and-future wife sounds like bad news.

And even though the Mail is a sleazy tabloid, this article comes close to swaying me to the idea that maybe he should just leave well enough alone given his condition.

Date: March 9, 2020 15:20

What I learned from the article is Phil is married or was married to someone I would NEVER see him with! So that was surprising lol.

Date: March 9, 2020 15:35

keefriff99
RollingFreak
[www.dailymail.co.uk]
Sheesh, what a saga. I know it takes two to tango, but his once-and-future wife sounds like bad news.

And even though the Mail is a sleazy tabloid, this article comes close to swaying me to the idea that maybe he should just leave well enough alone given his condition.

Which means that the way they described him (a hunchback, clinging to his cain) must be taken with a huge grain of salt smiling smiley

Date: March 9, 2020 15:40

DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
RollingFreak
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Which means that the way they described him (a hunchback, clinging to his cain) must be taken with a huge grain of salt smiling smiley
True to an extent, but I've seen the videos of him hobbling to his chair onstage. If there's any exaggeration in the article, it's not by too much.

Date: March 9, 2020 15:57

Would agree. Also, this is very interesting to see in retrospect. I'm only 30 minutes in but it seems extremely honest:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 9, 2020 16:08

keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
RollingFreak
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

True to an extent, but I've seen the videos of him hobbling to his chair onstage. If there's any exaggeration in the article, it's not by too much.

Yeah, you're most likely right. Haven't seen the videos myself.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 24, 2020 17:30

24-Jul-2020: Genesis have confirmed that their ‘The Last Domino?’ UK and Ireland tour, which was due to take place throughout November and December, has been pushed back to 2021 and two new dates were added.

The Last Domino? 2021 tour dates were as follows - [www.uDiscoverMusic.com] · [Twitter.com] :

Apr 01: Glasgow SSE Hydro, UK
Apr 02: Glasgow SSE Hydro, UK
Apr 05: Birmingham Utilita Arena, UK
Apr 06: Birmingham Utilita Arena, UK
Apr 07: Birmingham Utilita Arena, UK – NEW DATE
Apr 09: Newcastle Utilita Arena, UK
Apr 10: Newcastle Utilita Arena, UK
Apr 12: Manchester Arena, UK
Apr 13: Manchester Arena, UK
Apr 15: Dublin 3Arena, Ireland
Apr 16: Dublin 3Arena, Ireland
Apr 18: Belfast SSE Arena, UK
Apr 21: Leeds First Direct Arena, UK
Apr 22: Leeds First Direct Arena, UK
Apr 24: Liverpool M&S Bank Arena, UK
Apr 25: Liverpool M&S Bank Arena, UK
Apr 27: London The O2, UK
Apr 29: London The O2, UK
Apr 30: London The O2, UK – NEW DATE

22-Jan-2021: Last Domino? Tour postponed again - [Twitter.com] , [www.NME.com] :

15 September 2021 - Dublin, 3Arena
16 September 2021 - Dublin, 3Arena
18 September 2021 - Belfast, SSE Arena
20 September 2021 - Birmingham, Utilita Arena
21 September 2021 - Birmingham, Utilita Arena
22 September 2021 - Birmingham, Utilita Arena
24 September 2021 - Manchester, AO Arena
25 September 2021 - Manchester, AO Arena
27 September 2021 - Leeds, First Direct Arena
28 September 2021 - Leeds, First Direct Arena
30 September 2021 - Newcastle, Utilita Arena
1 October 2021 - Newcastle, Utilita Arena
3 October 2021 - Liverpool, M&S Bank Arena
4 October 2021 - Liverpool, M&S Bank Arena
7 October 2021 - Glasgow, SSE Hydro
8 October 2021 - Glasgow, SSE Hydro
11 October 2021 - London, The O2 Arena
12 October 2021 - London, The O2 Arena
13 October 2021 - London, The O2 Arena

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-30 14:40 by Irix.

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: July 25, 2020 22:23

That is an aggressive schedule: 19 shows in 29 days.

Posted by: snarf2014 ()
Date: July 25, 2020 22:42

The singer sits...

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: July 26, 2020 23:37

snarf2014
The singer sits...

And I saw him Atlanta last year. The next show in Charlotte he fell down. It is pretty simplistic to declare that touring is not taxing on someone just because they spend part of the show in a chair.

By the way, it was my first time seeing Collins after he canceled an MSG show I had tickets for in the late 20th century. It sounded great and was very moving.

If Genesis ever make it back close to me in the U.S. I would definitely go.

Date: July 26, 2020 23:54

Irix
24-Jul-2020:

Genesis have confirmed that their ‘The Last Domino?’ UK and Ireland tour, which was due to take place throughout November and December, has been pushed back to 2021 and two new dates were added.

The Last Domino? 2021 tour dates are as follows:

Apr 01: Glasgow SSE Hydro, UK
Apr 02: Glasgow SSE Hydro, UK
Apr 05: Birmingham Utilita Arena, UK
Apr 06: Birmingham Utilita Arena, UK
Apr 07: Birmingham Utilita Arena, UK – NEW DATE
Apr 09: Newcastle Utilita Arena, UK
Apr 10: Newcastle Utilita Arena, UK
Apr 12: Manchester Arena, UK
Apr 13: Manchester Arena, UK
Apr 15: Dublin 3Arena, Ireland
Apr 16: Dublin 3Arena, Ireland
Apr 18: Belfast SSE Arena, UK
Apr 21: Leeds First Direct Arena, UK
Apr 22: Leeds First Direct Arena, UK
Apr 24: Liverpool M&S Bank Arena, UK
Apr 25: Liverpool M&S Bank Arena, UK
Apr 27: London The O2, UK
Apr 29: London The O2, UK
Apr 30: London The O2, UK – NEW DATE

[www.uDiscoverMusic.com] · [Twitter.com]

Well, unless there is a vaccine for Covid developed, I'm willing to bet that these dates get cancelled/postponed. This is only 8 months from now and things in the world are getting worse, not better.

Date: July 27, 2020 00:07

I wasn't going to be the one to say this but I agree with you 100%.

Elmo Lewis
After living through the 80's, I hope I never hear Phil Collins' voice again.

Mike's either.

Date: July 27, 2020 00:35

keefriff99
RollingFreak
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Never knew about the affairs or the paint can. Wow. That's really F'd up.

Date: July 27, 2020 00:46

RollingFreak
What I learned from the article is Phil is married or was married to someone I would NEVER see him with! So that was surprising lol.

Something happened; obviously really bad plastic surgery and implants, because she used to look like this:

She DESTROYED herself.

Date: July 27, 2020 00:58

GasLightStreet
keefriff99
RollingFreak
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Never knew about the affairs or the paint can. Wow. That's really F'd up.

Just read the article. His popularity rivaled Elvis and Michael Jackson?! I can guarantee you he's not raking in huge royalties from album sales these days, very few are! Probably the reason he wants to go out on the road again, one last big payday. That as well as the fact that he's been a musician all his life and that's what he's done.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 27, 2020 13:45

I seen the Genesis tour in 2007 and it was magnificent hot smiley

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1361
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home