Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 'Suspicious' from Crosseyed Heart
Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: March 5, 2020 16:18

I love this song. It is hard to listen to because of the emotions from the lyrics.

Date: March 5, 2020 16:21

liddas
DandelionPowderman
Their function might be somewhat similar, but the notes are, well, different? Unless I compare the wrong parts here?

Different notes, but there is a bit of the melody in Suspicious' verse that is almost that same as the melody in Place's chorus.

Listen to what Keith plays on Suspicious between 0.15 and 0.20, then listen to what Mick plays on Place at 1.30.

That said, I agree that the songs are completely different.

And both are, on my book, just perfect.

C

Ah! Oh well, that's too little, way too little, imo. He has played that in lots of other songs as well smiling smiley It's an ending of a lick on the root note, and the two last notes are the same as the ending of Mick's slide motif in This Place Is Empty.

I thought you meant the melody line Keith plays along with the vocals in the verses.

The songs are not even remotely similar, apart from going back to the root chord now and again (which just about every song does!).

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: March 5, 2020 23:30

Apart from the composer singing about romantic addiction, I don't see much similarity between "All About You" and "Suspicious."

"All About You"

Well if you call this a life
Why must I spend it with you?
If the show must go on
Let it go on without you
So sick and tired hanging around with jerks like you
Who'll tell me those lies
And let me think they're true?
What am I to do
You want it, I got it too
Though the lies might be true
That's just cause the joke's about you
I'm so sick and tired hanging around with dogs like you
You're the first to get blamed, always the last bitch to get paid
Oh, tell me those lies
Let me think they're true
I heard one or two
They weren't about me, they weren't about her
They were all about you
I may miss you
But missing me just isn't you
I'm so sick and tired hanging around with dogs like you
Tell me those lies
Let me think they're true
I heard one or two, and they weren't about me, they weren't about her
They're all about you
I'm so sick and tired
What should I do
You want it, you get it...
So how come I'm still in love with you?

The lyrics of AAY are nasty and contemptuous, calling her a dog and a jerk and a bitch. The singer wants to break free and hates that he is addicted to the r'ship. But if I were the woman about whom the song was written, I'd run!

In Suspicious, he asks, 'Why should we break up?' He's asking her to take pity on him. He's longing to go back.

"Suspicious"

Suspicious as it seems, you're cropping up in dreams
What've you done to me?
I knew it from the start, you better barricade your heart
Look what you've done to me

Why should we break up?
Some kinda shakeup?
I deserve more sympathy

Somewhere in your heart, you saved a little part
Well, I hope you're satisfied with what you've done to me

Don't let us breakup
Some kinda shakeup
Go give some sympathy

Somewhere deep inside, you've been taken for a ride

And now that we've all cried, well I hope you're satisfied
You're almost done to me
Suspicious as it seems, you're cropping up in dreams
What've you done to me?

Why should we breakup?
Some kinda shakeup?
I deserve more sympathy

In your heart, I know that there's a part
That you've kept just for me
No matter what you do, I'm still a part of you
You'll never be free of me

Why should we breakup?
Some kinda shakeup?
I deserve more sympathy

I told you from the start, you better barricade that heart
Cause what you've done to me

I also don't see much similarity to TPIE. TPIE sounds very upbeat to me, both in the tempo and that the refrain is sung in a chorus.

Even though there are light background vocals,"Suspicious" is very private and personal.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 7, 2020 04:43

liddas
DandelionPowderman
Their function might be somewhat similar, but the notes are, well, different? Unless I compare the wrong parts here?

Different notes, but there is a bit of the melody in Suspicious' verse that is almost that same as the melody in Place's chorus.

Listen to what Keith plays on Suspicious between 0.15 and 0.20, then listen to what Mick plays on Place at 1.30.

That said, I agree that the songs are completely different.

And both are, on my book, just perfect.

C

It's the progression - it's the same as This Place Is Empty.

It's very likely Keith didn't even notice it - he didn't admit to noticing the entire lifting of the bridge from Coming Down Again for the entire song of Sleep Tonight!

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: March 7, 2020 16:00

matxil
Swayed1967
matxil
"Suspicious" and "Illusion" are the absolute highlights of the album.

I desperately wanted to like CH but it really sounds like a spent old man rearranging old riffs/melodies. Like with Suspicious – it’s not bad, it starts to draw me in - even though Keith can hardly sing anymore (if you can even call that singing – more like a guy on a respirator straining to make himself heard) – but then there’s a refrain that sounds exactly like ‘This Place Is Empty’ – exactly – and I wanna puke.

Illusion is the gem IMO but only because Norah breaks her back on it.

Ironically enough, I don't think your description is that far off, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing (although I do think that he actually sings better than in the 80s and 90s and I don't really see the connection with This Place is Empty either (a song I don't like at all)).
He's no longer the guy who wrote to-the-point rockers like Satisfaction, JJF or Tumbling Dice. What he does more is creating loose, seemingly ad-libbed, atmosphere, based on licks, spaces, and an interchange of his own singing and some backing vocals. It's more jazzy than pop, more impressionist than getting straight to the point. Rolling Stones - as opposed to the Beatles - never really had a lot of sing-along popsongs, but Keith goes even farther away from that. You cannot really sing Suspicious or Illusion, while doing the dishes or waiting for the bus. But you can just sit back and enjoy the mosaic. If you want songs, listen to the Big Four (or Six). If you want something else, CH is a good album (apart from Blues In the Morning, which breaks the spell for me), with Suspicious and Illusion as the highlights.
But I am rambling..., sorry.

Great analysis.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2498
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home