Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
'Suspicious' from Crosseyed Heart
Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: March 4, 2020 00:26

This is such a beautiful, haunting song. Fantastic melody. It really takes my breath away. I don't think I've ever heard a song express anger/bitterness/longing like this and it's quite unexpected from Keith.

Does anyone (Chatoyancy?) know the back story of the lyrics?

Re: 'Suspicious' from Crosseyed Heart
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 4, 2020 00:50

My favorite tune for a while when the album was released...

The "breakup" and "shakeup" lines with the female backup vocal/whispering....kind of haunting...brought back visions of past flames....

And the line: "No matter what you do I'm still a part of you. You'll never be free of me..." sort of went both ways...it's a tough tune,

Date: March 4, 2020 08:59

Great tune!

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 4, 2020 10:01

"Suspicious" and "Illusion" are the absolute highlights of the album.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: March 4, 2020 10:02

matxil

Two true! Oh, wait, too true.

Rod

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: March 4, 2020 12:14

Yes it's a strong ballad, i love the honesty of the lyrics, bitter sweet bordering on unhealthy obsession, we've all been there at some point in a relationship and Keith has blown me away with this track,
Just A Gift is also a stand out track for me, a song of longing and what might have been or could be.
Crosseyed Heart just gets better each time i go back to it , the mark of a great album. It disappointed some because it's not what they expected from Keith, so now they go back to it and hear that it's actually better than what they expected.
Please one more solo album from Keith, CH was too good to leave it at that, Keith still has all his creative abilities within him.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 4, 2020 14:24

keithsman
Yes it's a strong ballad, i love the honesty of the lyrics, bitter sweet bordering on unhealthy obsession, we've all been there at some point in a relationship and Keith has blown me away with this track,
Just A Gift is also a stand out track for me, a song of longing and what might have been or could be.
Crosseyed Heart just gets better each time i go back to it , the mark of a great album. It disappointed some because it's not what they expected from Keith, so now they go back to it and hear that it's actually better than what they expected.
Please one more solo album from Keith, CH was too good to leave it at that, Keith still has all his creative abilities within him.

thumbs up

Totally agree . I liked the album from the start but... I think its one which will grow in stature and gain appreciation with time .

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 4, 2020 15:13

matxil

Love the shooting stars in bars line and the refrain in Just A Gift..thumbs up

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: March 4, 2020 15:51

Best album from the 2010's in my book, right in front of Dylans Tempest.

CH is such a masterpiece! I personally love the hypnotic groove in Something For Nothing, the opening 8 tunes are MEGA! (+the rest)

The Les Paul Junior P-90 sound on the closing Lovers Plea, yummy!smileys with beer

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 4, 2020 15:59

Re-listened. There are nice things going on, but still doesn't work for me. I'm sorry.

- Doxa

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: March 4, 2020 16:21

Great album. The more I listen the more I like it.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: March 4, 2020 16:40

Great post, great album that is aging well. My favorite is Robbed Blind.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 4, 2020 22:27

Agree about the song -- and I feel similarly about the entire album! It's my favorite Stones related release since Tattoo You.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 5, 2020 00:37

Wonder if there's a chance for a 5th anniversary box set release of Crosseyd Heart w/demos, bonus tracks, extended versions, etc. etc. etc.winking smiley
I recall jokingly hoping for this not longer after the official standard release back in 2015, but with no new Stones album in sight, now I'm about to start begging and pleading for it.
Keith's solo version of One More Shot might be a nice place to start, and would be perfect for Record Store Day.

So if you're reading this Keith - PLEASE HELP US THROUGH THE DROUGHT OF NO NEW MATERIAL!!!!smiling smiley

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: March 5, 2020 06:50

matxil

I desperately wanted to like CH but it really sounds like a spent old man rearranging old riffs/melodies. Like with Suspicious – it’s not bad, it starts to draw me in - even though Keith can hardly sing anymore (if you can even call that singing – more like a guy on a respirator straining to make himself heard) – but then there’s a refrain that sounds exactly like ‘This Place Is Empty’ – exactly – and I wanna puke.

Illusion is the gem IMO but only because Norah breaks her back on it.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 5, 2020 08:05

Hairball
Wonder if there's a chance for a 5th anniversary box set release of Crosseyd Heart w/demos, bonus tracks, extended versions, etc. etc. etc.winking smiley
I recall jokingly hoping for this not longer after the official standard release back in 2015, but with no new Stones album in sight, now I'm about to start begging and pleading for it.
Keith's solo version of One More Shot might be a nice place to start, and would be perfect for Record Store Day.

So if you're reading this Keith - PLEASE HELP US THROUGH THE DROUGHT OF NO NEW MATERIAL!!!!smiling smiley

thumbs up

Date: March 5, 2020 10:14

Swayed1967
matxil

I desperately wanted to like CH but it really sounds like a spent old man rearranging old riffs/melodies. Like with Suspicious – it’s not bad, it starts to draw me in - even though Keith can hardly sing anymore (if you can even call that singing – more like a guy on a respirator straining to make himself heard) – but then there’s a refrain that sounds exactly like ‘This Place Is Empty’ – exactly – and I wanna puke.

Ironically enough, I don't think your description is that far off, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing (although I do think that he actually sings better than in the 80s and 90s and I don't really see the connection with This Place is Empty either (a song I don't like at all)).
He's no longer the guy who wrote to-the-point rockers like Satisfaction, JJF or Tumbling Dice. What he does more is creating loose, seemingly ad-libbed, atmosphere, based on licks, spaces, and an interchange of his own singing and some backing vocals. It's more jazzy than pop, more impressionist than getting straight to the point. Rolling Stones - as opposed to the Beatles - never really had a lot of sing-along popsongs, but Keith goes even farther away from that. You cannot really sing Suspicious or Illusion, while doing the dishes or waiting for the bus. But you can just sit back and enjoy the mosaic. If you want songs, listen to the Big Four (or Six). If you want something else, CH is a good album (apart from Blues In the Morning, which breaks the spell for me), with Suspicious and Illusion as the highlights.
But I am rambling..., sorry.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: March 5, 2020 10:18

I thought Keith's voice was beautiful on Suspicious - strong, tender...even sexy.

And the lyrics just knocked me out - reflecting love but also extreme anger, addiction to pain.

These combined with the melody - stunning.

Date: March 5, 2020 10:49

matxil
Swayed1967
matxil

Ironically enough, I don't think your description is that far off, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing (although I do think that he actually sings better than in the 80s and 90s and I don't really see the connection with This Place is Empty either (a song I don't like at all)).

You don’t, huh? Well I browsed the old 2015 CH thread to see if anybody did see a connection between those songs and more than a few people did, including, um, a poster by the name of matxil.

I agree with everything else you said about mosaics and atmoshpere though...personally it doesn't appeal to me that much. Every second song he's written for the past 25 years has been 'Thief in the Night' Part XX.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-05 10:56 by Swayed1967.

Date: March 5, 2020 10:55

Bliss
I thought Keith's voice was beautiful on Suspicious - strong, tender...even sexy.

And the lyrics just knocked me out - reflecting love but also extreme anger, addiction to pain.

Same themes already explored and more powerfully expressed in 'All About You' when Keith could still sing and before he started recycling his own songs. (Seriously, parts of the melody line in Suspicious are note for note taken from TPIE. I can't believe that isn't obvious to most people.)

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 5, 2020 10:57

matxil
Swayed1967
matxil

He's no longer the guy who wrote to-the-point rockers like Satisfaction, JJF or Tumbling Dice. What he does more is creating loose, seemingly ad-libbed, atmosphere, based on licks, spaces, and an interchange of his own singing and some backing vocals. It's more jazzy than pop, more impressionist than getting straight to the point. Rolling Stones - as opposed to the Beatles - never really had a lot of sing-along popsongs, but Keith goes even farther away from that. You cannot really sing Suspicious or Illusion, while doing the dishes or waiting for the bus. But you can just sit back and enjoy the mosaic. If you want songs, listen to the Big Four (or Six). If you want something else, CH is a good album (apart from Blues In the Morning, which breaks the spell for me), with Suspicious and Illusion as the highlights.
But I am rambling..., sorry.

When Keith sings "When what you've done to me"... those bits. It is exactly like This Place Is Empty.

Date: March 5, 2020 10:58

Swayed1967
Bliss

Same themes already explored and more powerfully expressed in 'All About You' when Keith could still sing and before he started recycling his own songs. (Seriously, parts of the melody line in Suspicious are note for note taken from TPIE. I can't believe that isn't obvious to most people.)

LOL. Like how Sleep Tonight is the bridge from Coming Down Again? Illusion is Baby Break It Down...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-05 10:59 by GasLightStreet.

Date: March 5, 2020 11:03

Swayed1967
matxil
Swayed1967
matxil

You don’t, huh? Well I browsed the old 2015 CH thread to see if anybody did see a connection between those songs and more than a few people did, including, um, a poster by the name of matxil.

I agree with everything else you said about mosaics and atmoshpere though...personally it doesn't appeal to me that much. Every second song he's written for the past 25 years has been 'Thief in the Night' Part XX.

Ah, okay smiling smiley, in that case, I stand slightly corrected smiling smiley
I am not going to look it up, but I believe you on your word (although I really don't remember it). I thought This Place is Empty is awful when I heard it, but I haven't listened to it since it came out (nor to anything else of that terrible album) so maybe there is a connection but I forgot. And I certainly am not going to listen to TPIE now, because I really don't feel like it.
I still think that Suspicious is great though.

I also think Soul Survivor is great and Must Be Hell terrible, so for that matter similarity between songs does not mean I'd feel the same way about them.

Still, thanks for pointing out my gaffe. One tends to say things sometimes too fast without thinking it through.

Date: March 5, 2020 11:08

matxil
Swayed1967
matxil
Swayed1967
matxil

Ah, okay smiling smiley, in that case, I stand slightly corrected smiling smiley
I am not going to look it up, but I believe you on your word (although I really don't remember it). I thought This Place is Empty is awful when I heard it, but I haven't listened to it since it came out (nor to anything else of that terrible album) so maybe there is a connection but I forgot. And I certainly am not going to listen to TPIE now, because I really don't feel like it.
I still think that Suspicious is great though.

I also think Soul Survivor is great and Must Be Hell terrible, so for that matter similarity between songs does not mean I'd feel the same way about them.

Still, thanks for pointing out my gaffe. One tends to say things sometimes too fast without thinking it through.

Well, it was TWENTY FIFTEEN. As if you'd easily remember!

Date: March 5, 2020 11:18

Well, I am 51! As if I would remember anything easily. What was the subject of this thread by the way, I forgot.

Date: March 5, 2020 11:41

Swayed1967
Bliss

I can't hear that at all.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 5, 2020 12:01

DandelionPowderman
Swayed1967
Bliss

I can't hear that at all.

Listen to Keith's single line riff along the verse and Mick's slide melody on Place is Empty. Quite close, I would say!

C

Date: March 5, 2020 12:38

Their function might be somewhat similar, but the notes are, well, different? Unless I compare the wrong parts here?

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: March 5, 2020 15:31

Like the album but like Wandering Spirit much better

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 5, 2020 16:12

DandelionPowderman
Their function might be somewhat similar, but the notes are, well, different? Unless I compare the wrong parts here?

Different notes, but there is a bit of the melody in Suspicious' verse that is almost that same as the melody in Place's chorus.

Listen to what Keith plays on Suspicious between 0.15 and 0.20, then listen to what Mick plays on Place at 1.30.

That said, I agree that the songs are completely different.

And both are, on my book, just perfect.

C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-05 16:15 by liddas.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1472
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home