Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Record Store Day 2020
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 26, 2020 08:03

The Who - Odds & Sods! I had it on vinyl and it was out of print at the time. A friend wanted it so bad that he offered me $10 for it, so I did it. About 10 years later, I wanted it again and had to pay about $30 for it (including shipping) from a mail order record store. Not my best business decision!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 26, 2020 11:55

MisterDDDD
Irix

In stock still here..
[goldendiscs.com]

Looks like the same Store under different name - [www.Vinyl8.com] .

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 26, 2020 14:01

Hairball
The price on that Golden Discs site is double what it was on the uDiscover site back on June 28 - it was only $16 + a few dollars shipping when I ordered it.
It was advertised as limited edition, but not sure how many copies...must already be considered a "collectors item".

With 15% off + 4.50 shipping, took about a $10 hit for being late..
Not too bad considering... usually my errors are way more expensive cool smiley

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 26, 2020 16:51

The Who Odds n' Sods is even better it is the deluxe version first time on vinyl. Fantastic release! Also David Bowie John I'm Only Dancing the double live album from the Philly Soul Tour, this is a coveted sought after release!

Let it Bleed? Jesus how many times is ABCKO going to re-release this sucker? I wish they would actually release a half speed master on 45rpm. That would be great!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 26, 2020 20:19

Skimmed through the lengthy list of Record Store Day releases with the three different drop dates, and looks to be a lot that I might be interested in this Sunday the 29th.
There's AL Green, Bob Marley, Motorhead, The Pogues, Pretenders, and The Who among quite a few others...and this prize 7" single:

smiling smiley...I anticipate spending more than I should, but oh well...and then there's the other two dates with even more stuff...including a Hendrix 7" in Sept., and the Keith 7" in October....

Date: August 26, 2020 21:20

Not to forget this one:

10" Picture-Disc (Record Store Day, 26-Sep-2020):

- Rock And A Hard Place (From Atlantic City)
- Almost Hear You Sigh (From Tokyo Dome)

[RecordStoreDay.com]

Date: August 26, 2020 21:35

RSD 24-Oct-2020:

UK-version of Metamorphosis: released on hunter-green Vinyl, includes a iron-on T-Shirt-Transfer of the Album-Artwork - [RecordStoreDay.com] , [RecordStoreDay.co.uk] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-01 11:15 by Irix.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: August 29, 2020 17:28

I will try to order 'Normal for Bridgewater' by local Kingston musician, Peter Bruntnell , from Banquet Records in Kingston on line at 6.30pm.

Originally out on CD 21 years ago.

The store hasn't been open for many months now but you can pick up records in a nearby car park or by mail order.

At last they got this Record Store Day going in the U.K. smileys with beer

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: August 29, 2020 19:38

Thanks for info Irix. On that pink vinyl,just grabbed a copy

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 30, 2020 16:29

Strange record store day not going to the stores. A bummer but necessary. On line was a bit hit and miss. Amoeba record's site crashed. Plaid Room records in Ohio was incredible! Site worked great and I scored a lot of what I was after: The Who Odds n' Sods Deluxe, Bowie I'm Only Dancing, The Black Crowes Lions. Then went to Rough Trade's site and also had a good experience. Got the rest of what I wanted: Hooker N' Heat, The Black Keys Let's Rock 45 rpm. Great fun listening to music ripping bong hits but, but a bummer not having the vinyl in had to spin. Have to wait for the screwed up USPS service to deliver... and hopefully in good condition.

Date: August 30, 2020 20:26

I was able to get everything I really wanted yesterday (plus more) in person, though I did pass on a few things on my initial wish list.
There was a nice RSD exclusive Sun Records blues comp I didn't initially see on the list (prob listed under "various"), and it was only $12.99 - definitely a highlight of my shopping spree!

> RSD

This limited edition compilation LP was curated from the classic Sun Record Company catalog by participating Record Store Day stores, and marks the seventh installment of the 'Sun Records Curated by Record Store Day' series. Volume 7, Sunrise on the Blues, highlights some of the incredible blues artists in the Sun Records archive. While the iconic label is best known for launching the careers of superstars like Elvis and Johnny Cash, Sam Phillips' Sun Records initially started as a rhythm and blues label. The track list for this compilation was carefully curated by the hardworking people in record stores themselves. This Record Store Day 2020 exclusive release is limited to 4,000 copies worldwide.

SIDE A
1. HOWLIN' WOLF “Everybody in the Mood” 2. LITTLE JUNIOR'S BLUE FLAMES “Mystery Train”3. ROSCO GORDON “Let's Get High” 4. JOHNNY ADAMS “I Won't Cry” 5. EARL HOOKER “Going On Down The Line” 6. LOST JOHN HUNTER & HIS BLIND BATS “Cool Down Mama” 7. BIG WALTER HORTON “Grandma Told Grandpa”

SIDE B
1. SLEEPY JOHN ESTES “Policy Man Blues”2. LITTLE MILTON “If Crying Would Help Me” 3. JAMES COTTON “Cotton Crop Blues” 4. DOCTOR ROSS “Cat Squirrel” 5. THE PRISONAIRES “That Chick's Too Young To Fry” 6. PAT HARE “I'm Gonna Murder My Baby” 7. JOE HILL LOUIS “We All Got To Go Some Time”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-30 20:28 by Hairball.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 31, 2020 00:27

Our store was open and well managed. Nice to see a good amount of people in line, more than last several years. Picked up both Bowie pieces...

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: August 31, 2020 12:20

order the bowie records.. only not sure i got them as the reciept says sold out..

(edit; got them in the mail last week, played them loud this weekend smiling smiley)

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-12 15:58 by MononoM.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 31, 2020 15:04

Irix
RSD 24-Oct-2020:

UK-version of Metamorphosis: released on hunter-green Vinyl, includes a iron-on T-Shirt-Transfer of the Album-Artwork - [RecordStoreDay.com] .

The artwork of this record is a nod to the fact that it features a bunch of studio musicians posing as the Stones. The “superstar guests” are all studio musicians as well. Well done, Andrew.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: August 31, 2020 16:12

Got in touch with Banquet Records,Kingston about picking up my 'Normal For Bridgewater' LP and a guy told me they had 8000 orders to sort out.

Great to know that these Record shops are doing alright on the first Drop Day for RSD. thumbs up

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: August 31, 2020 23:31

Question: did they release the First Barbarians vinyl version on this RSD? I couldn't find it here in The Netherlands last Saturday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-31 23:43 by GJV.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 1, 2020 01:01

SIDE A
1. HOWLIN' WOLF “Everybody in the Mood” 2. LITTLE JUNIOR'S BLUE FLAMES “Mystery Train”3. ROSCO GORDON “Let's Get High”
4. JOHNNY ADAMS “I Won't Cry” 5. EARL HOOKER “Going On Down The Line” 6. LOST JOHN HUNTER & HIS BLIND BATS “Cool Down Mama” 7. BIG WALTER HORTON “Grandma Told Grandpa”

Strange how thay've included
Johnny Adams track on a Sun Comp .....

I Won't Cry was recorded for Joe Ruffino's Ric
New Orleans label 1959 ... produced Mac Rebennack aka Dr John

ROCKMAN

Date: September 1, 2020 03:04

Evidently it's a different/later version recorded in 1969 for the SSS Label owned by Shelby Singleton who ended up buying the Sun Records catalogue: Sun Records

"In 1969, Mercury Records label producer Shelby Singleton purchased the Sun label from Phillips. Singleton merged his operations into Sun International Corporation, which re-released and re-packaged compilations of Sun's early artists in the early 1970s....The company remains in business as Sun Entertainment Corporation, and currently licenses its brand and classic hit recordings (many of which have appeared in CD boxed sets and other compilations) to independent reissue labels. Sun Entertainment also includes SSS International Records, Plantation Records, Amazon Records, Red Bird Records, Blue Cat Records among other labels the company acquired over the years".

Original version: [www.youtube.com]

SSS/Sun version: [www.youtube.com]

*My new album along with all other new RSD purchases down at my studio - will check details/liner notes tomorrow, and give it a listen!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-01 03:05 by Hairball.

Date: September 1, 2020 03:11

Awwwww is that whats going on ....

Still seems wacko ta have it on there ....

ROCKMAN

Date: September 1, 2020 03:17

Yeah it does seem whacko... a bit of a stretch to be labled as "Sun" considering the history, but...
While the original sounds better maybe, the latter is a nice version also w/the tasty guitar licks, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-01 03:19 by Hairball.

Date: September 1, 2020 10:55

GJV

Question: did they release the First Barbarians vinyl version on this RSD?

Doesn't look like. It's not in the list anymore of the RSD-Releases: [RecordStoreDay.com] , [RecordStoreDay.com] . The colorful Collector's Edition of 'Let It Bleed' - [iorr.org] - is also not in the list anymore.

UK-List of 2020 RSD-Releases: [RecordStoreDay.co.uk] , [RecordStoreDay.co.uk] , [RecordStoreDay.co.uk] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-01 11:20 by Irix.

Date: September 1, 2020 23:58

Irix
GJV

Question: did they release the First Barbarians vinyl version on this RSD?

Doesn't look like. It's not in the list anymore of the RSD-Releases: [RecordStoreDay.com] , [RecordStoreDay.com] . The colorful Collector's Edition of 'Let It Bleed' - [iorr.org] - is also not in the list anymore.

UK-List of 2020 RSD-Releases: [RecordStoreDay.co.uk] , [RecordStoreDay.co.uk] , [RecordStoreDay.co.uk] .

Ok, thanks for your reply.

Date: September 2, 2020 00:58

@ Rockman - oddly, it's the original '59 version on the Sun comp, and their explanation in the liner notes is maybe even whackier
than the theory I came up with as there's no mention of the 1969 remake of I Won't Cry on SSS International Records whatsoever.

"Johnny Adams made his debut recording with I Don't Cry at Matasa's Studio on the Ric/Ron label with Mac Rebennack aka Dr. John producing,
and this ballad showcases his velvet voice. Adams is included because he later achieved success with his SSS label recording of Reconsider Me which ties him to the Sun catalogue".

So now I'm on the hunt for the '69 version as I really liked it with it's tasty guitar, wailing falsetto, and hefty horn section -
just found a "very good +" 7" vinyl copy on ebay for $6.00 USD + shipping, and might even find cheaper copy. Or maybe a bargain bin cd comp will do the trick ha.
Also, looks like there's quite a variety of the early singles comps...good old Johnny Adams has opened a can of worms....

Date: September 2, 2020 01:03

.... eeeerrrr well that is wacko ....
Heck they coulda chucked a Joe Hill Louis track on ....

ROCKMAN

Date: September 2, 2020 01:09

It's # 7 of the Record Store Day series, so maybe he's already on one of them?
Seems they're stretching it out a bit now, and wondering what will be on next years # 8?
Maybe something that was home recorded by a cousin of someone who once worked at Sun for a few weeks...

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: September 2, 2020 07:56

Date: September 27, 2020 01:22

Anyone went to his local recordshop this second record store day (26-09-2020)?
I got the Steel Wheels live vinyl single and a new LP version of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly soundtrack from Morricone. Great to have!

Date: September 27, 2020 01:49

Yes, went in to my local store a couple hours after they opened and was able to pick up the last Steel Wheels 10" single.
Missed out on the Hendrix/Band of Gypsies 7" single, but was able to order it online afterwards from another store.thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 27, 2020 15:47

GJV
Anyone went to his local recordshop this second record store day (26-09-2020)?
I got the Steel Wheels live vinyl single and a new LP version of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly soundtrack from Morricone. Great to have!

YUP! Love the indie record store...so glad they seem to be doing well.

Date: September 28, 2020 00:03

Yeah, I love it too. I went to the recordstore I always went to when I was in my twenties and it's still there. They even have now almost more vinyl than cd's, which wasn't the case in the nineties. I also bought a copy of the Main Offender vinyl, which I missed buying last year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-28 00:04 by GJV.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1726
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home