Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Any love for "Mixed Emotions"?
Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: April 29, 2020 02:36

padre69
Interesting thing. I just bought Mixed Emotions 7” single. When I tried to play it, the needle jumped like crazy on it. I’ve heard that if a vinyl is too brickwalled the needle won’t stay on the tracks properly, but I’ve never seen one before. The single is unplayable. Anybody else got this single and noticed the same?

I bought the CBS/Columbia single when it came out in 1989 (because of the B side), and I have never had any problem playing it. At the time there was no brickwalling yet.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 29, 2020 20:24

Rocknroll1969
I do not know if anyone pointed out that this is an open G song with minor chords. Not many Stones open G songs have minor chords. It also has a key change in it. Also something not done many times by the Stones.

There is no key change in Mixed Emotions. It stays in D the entire time with exception to the bridge.

You're confusing modulation for key change, and neither happens in Mixed Emotions. I can't think of any Stones songs that modulate or have a key change. EDIT: you mentioned Dear Doctor. LOL - that's funny. As soon as I read it I literally laughed out loud. Are there any others? I can't think of any.

A lot of bridges. Hey Negrita... Mixed Emotions, Sad Sad Sad, Shattered, there are MANY songs with bridges.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-29 20:26 by GasLightStreet.

Date: April 29, 2020 20:25

padre69
Interesting thing. I just bought Mixed Emotions 7” single. When I tried to play it, the needle jumped like crazy on it. I’ve heard that if a vinyl is too brickwalled the needle won’t stay on the tracks properly, but I’ve never seen one before. The single is unplayable. Anybody else got this single and noticed the same?

I bought the 7", I don't recall it having any issues.

Date: April 29, 2020 21:14

GasLightStreet
Rocknroll1969
I do not know if anyone pointed out that this is an open G song with minor chords. Not many Stones open G songs have minor chords. It also has a key change in it. Also something not done many times by the Stones.

There is no key change in Mixed Emotions. It stays in D the entire time with exception to the bridge.

You're confusing modulation for key change, and neither happens in Mixed Emotions. I can't think of any Stones songs that modulate or have a key change. EDIT: you mentioned Dear Doctor. LOL - that's funny. As soon as I read it I literally laughed out loud. Are there any others? I can't think of any.

A lot of bridges. Hey Negrita... Mixed Emotions, Sad Sad Sad, Shattered, there are MANY songs with bridges.

For about 5 seconds in Sweet Neocon there is a key change, when they play the "riff" smiling smiley

Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: April 29, 2020 22:09

GasLightStreet
Rocknroll1969

I am sure you are correct. On dear doctor there is a key change. At least that’s how I play it. I play it in E then it changes to A. I think, lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-29 22:11 by Rocknroll1969.

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: April 29, 2020 22:09

SomeGuy
padre69

I bought the CBS/Columbia single when it came out in 1989 (because of the B side), and I have never had any problem playing it. At the time there was no brickwalling yet.

Strange. I wonder what’s the case then. Never seen the needle jumping so wild on a vinyl.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 29, 2020 22:45

What channel?

Date: April 29, 2020 22:50

padre69
SomeGuy
padre69

Strange. I wonder what’s the case then. Never seen the needle jumping so wild on a vinyl.

The grooves may be damaged, perhaps? Try a good cleaning of that particular record first.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 29, 2020 22:50

It's not a bad track. I like the sharp guitars in the intro. I don't think it has the quality for a first single though. Which it was.
It's more of a filler than a hit. If someone understands what I'm talking about?

Date: April 29, 2020 22:51

Stoneage
It's not a bad track. I like the sharp guitars in the intro. I don't think it has the quality for a first single though. Which it was.
It's more of a filler than a hit. If someone understands what I'm talking about?

Perhaps. To me it has a hit chorus, but the verses are filler. I like it, though.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 29, 2020 23:01

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Perhaps. To me it has a hit chorus, but the verses are filler. I like it, though.

Sure, Dandy. The lyrics stands out though. Sorts of "bury the hatchet" lyrics. Quite telling.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 29, 2020 23:19

I like the new tune better than Mixed Emotions!
Going back to when Mixed Emotions was released - never liked it much at all when I first heard it, and it never did grow on me.This new tune though - liked it from the very start, and that opinion hasn't changed.
Could be the cool groove and the classy vintage style of the new tune itself vs. the cheesy bombast and cliche ridden Mixed Emotions which now sounds horribly dated.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 8, 2020 16:36

CousinC
No.

"It's only aural meccano".
(Who said this first about another Stones song ?!)

BTW.
It's been Mick Taylor who said this in an NME Interview about "new single" It's only RocknRoll in the 70's.

Date: May 9, 2020 02:32

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
Rocknroll1969

For about 5 seconds in Sweet Neocon there is a key change, when they play the "riff" smiling smiley

I only listened to it about 3 times so...

Date: May 9, 2020 02:34

Rocknroll1969
GasLightStreet
Rocknroll1969

I am sure you are correct. On dear doctor there is a key change. At least that’s how I play it. I play it in E then it changes to A. I think, lol

I good example of a key change is Bon Jovi's Livin' On A Prayer. No Stones songs come to mind that do that, it's a very commercial thing to do.

Date: May 9, 2020 04:59

How can you modulate without changing the key you're in, I ask.

Date: May 9, 2020 06:54

SomeGuy
How can you modulate without changing the key you're in, I ask.

Modulation is in respect to the key you're in.

A key change is just that. Dear Doctor is a key change - the whole song changes.

Aerosmith and Bon Jovi had modulations and key changes, sometimes in the same songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-10 18:56 by GasLightStreet.

Date: May 9, 2020 07:07

Modulating involves a key change or else it isn't a modulation. This is not to say that you can't turn back into the original key of course.

Date: May 9, 2020 08:39

SomeGuy
Modulating involves a key change or else it isn't a modulation. This is not to say that you can't turn back into the original key of course.

There is a difference. As I said, modulation involves the key, a key change has nothing to do with the key, hence it not being a modulation.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 9, 2020 08:48

Stoneage

It's a single. It's definitely better than a B side. It fits with what it applies to, their comeback in 1989. Not that memorable now. For god's sake, they have worse singles. Don't Stop. Highwire. She Was Hot. Mixed Emotions is head and shoulders above those A sides.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: May 9, 2020 10:31

24FPS
Stoneage

It's a single. It's definitely better than a B side. It fits with what it applies to, their comeback in 1989. Not that memorable now. For god's sake, they have worse singles. Don't Stop. Highwire. She Was Hot. Mixed Emotions is head and shoulders above those A sides.

Totally disagree. All mentioned singles I would rate much higher than Boring Emotions.

Date: May 9, 2020 12:21

24FPS
Stoneage

She Was Hot doesn't belong in that list. That's GREAT single.

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: May 9, 2020 12:33

I just bought the vinyl single of Don’t Stop. The ’rock mix’ with louder guitars on b-side with its slight cracks and pops sounds surprisingly good when crancked up. The strerility of the cd version is gone and it actually rocks like The Stones are supposed to do.

Date: May 9, 2020 20:37

Stoneage

Obviously the first single needs to be memorable. It's not always.

What do you think should've been the first single?

I suppose if I was CBS Records and decided not to go with Mixed Emotions as the first single I would've used Sad Sad Sad.

Date: May 9, 2020 20:39

DandelionPowderman
24FPS
Stoneage

I second that! She Was Hot is an excellent song! Had they not released the thundering UOTN first perhaps She Was Hot would've had a bit more success. Maybe edited to be a little shorter but fantastic regardless.

Date: May 9, 2020 22:02

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
24FPS
Stoneage

I second that! She Was Hot is an excellent song! Had they not released the thundering UOTN first perhaps She Was Hot would've had a bit more success. Maybe edited to be a little shorter but fantastic regardless.

She Was Hot is better than any of the other songs mentioned.

Date: May 9, 2020 22:23

I like the chorus, very melodic and almost ABBA-esque.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 10, 2020 17:45

To me both "She Was Hot" and "Highwire" are great songs, whereas "Mixed Emotions", considered up against their career, is a rather moderate song from a moderate album.

[ Whether the only outright great song on STEEL WHEELS, "Continental Drift", might have become something approaching a hit, if released as a single, I really am uncertain about. ]

Date: May 10, 2020 19:01

Witness
To me both "She Was Hot" and "Highwire" are great songs, whereas "Mixed Emotions", considered up against their career, is a rather moderate song from a moderate album.

[ Whether the only outright great song on STEEL WHEELS, "Continental Drift", might have become something approaching a hit, if released as a single, I really am uncertain about. ]

Remove the instrumental part of Continental Drift - what do you have?

A really bad Jagger solo album, Love Comes At The Speed Of Light, most likely a leftover from PRIMITIVE COOL. It makes sense - it has a similar dorky music aspect to it like Party Doll and Primitive Cool do. Keith got so bored with it he shoved a comb or a spoon or a knife into the spokes of a spinning bicycle wheel to give it "percussion".

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 10, 2020 20:04

TheflyingDutchman
I like the chorus, very melodic and almost ABBA-esque.

Given the Abba treatment with beautiful vocal harmonies and instrumentation, and less of the faux rock, the song would have been much better imo.
Sort of an updated version of Fernando. smiling smiley

Abba - Fernando

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1796
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home