Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Any love for "Mixed Emotions"?
Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 6, 2020 19:19

Like a lot of folks here, I just remember hearing it and seeing the video thinking "they're back!"

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: March 6, 2020 22:45

No

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: March 7, 2020 01:53

I personally love this song, if only for Bill and Charlie's rock solid bottom. It's on my cardio playlist and it's one of those songs that I never skip. For those that hate it, do NOT click on this:

Date: March 7, 2020 11:48

Nice chorus. Bill and Charlie are great.

Posted by: kv2915 ()
Date: March 7, 2020 21:47

I really liked it when it came out and enjoy it now--like others said, for the sake of nostalgia.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 7, 2020 23:00

bleedingman
if only for Bill and Charlie's rock solid bottom.

Is it just me or did Charlie go from "swing master" (1962-85) to "a bit stiff and metronomic" (1989).
Most people who put down the SW album mention the cold sterile sound. I'd add the stiff lifeless beat.
Did Jagger force him to record with a click-track to sound more "modern"?
He had already forced poor Cholie to play on an electronic drumkit during the UC sessions...

Mick : "C'mon Charlie this is the sound of the future! Your Ludwig or Gretsch junk is so dated!" grinning smiley (imaginary quote).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-07 23:14 by dcba.

Date: March 7, 2020 23:42

Sly played the Simmons-kit, not Charlie.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: March 8, 2020 00:01

GasLightStreet
The live version from Pittsburgh or oh right it was recorded in Toronto for the MTV Awards was fantastic, really - I loved Ronnie's fills and solo, his solo is pretty damn good, very melodic.

Charlie just pounds solidly like a cement truck pouring out miles and miles of... cement!

At 4:04 there's a bit, Mick does this back and forth dance thing, where you HEAR The Rolling Stones with their rhythmicness that is so awesome, a heaving thing for just a moment. Ronnie does a bunch of fills before and after that are reminders that he was in the Faces or whatever, that Rod Stewart thing.

The only thing that sucks, really, is that cheeeeeesy keyboard towards the end.

I was going to post that. It is much better than the studio version. I was at that Concert and they were on fire as was the crowd.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-08 00:06 by stanlove.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 8, 2020 01:46

Phil Good
No

+1

Date: March 8, 2020 05:31

stanlove
GasLightStreet
The live version from Pittsburgh or oh right it was recorded in Toronto for the MTV Awards was fantastic, really - I loved Ronnie's fills and solo, his solo is pretty damn good, very melodic.

Charlie just pounds solidly like a cement truck pouring out miles and miles of... cement!

At 4:04 there's a bit, Mick does this back and forth dance thing, where you HEAR The Rolling Stones with their rhythmicness that is so awesome, a heaving thing for just a moment. Ronnie does a bunch of fills before and after that are reminders that he was in the Faces or whatever, that Rod Stewart thing.

I was going to post that. It is much better than the studio version. I was at that Concert and they were on fire as was the crowd.

thats not better than the studio. they never did it live better. something about the chorus and backing vocals and then the "you're not the only on" part after the 2nd chorus is just never right

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 8, 2020 07:15

keefriffhard4life
stanlove
GasLightStreet

thats not better than the studio. they never did it live better. something about the chorus and backing vocals and then the "you're not the only on" part after the 2nd chorus is just never right

Live it had bounce. The studio version is like pre-op: shiny and sterile. Mixed Emotions is one of their songs that, at least for the 1989-90 tours, was better than the LP version. But as Mick talked about with Don't Stop, it will never have the patina like Honky Tonk Women etc have. They've played it how many times since 1990? I can think of at least once - and it was... tepid at best.

Date: March 8, 2020 13:57

GasLightStreet
keefriffhard4life
stanlove
GasLightStreet

Live it had bounce. The studio version is like pre-op: shiny and sterile. Mixed Emotions is one of their songs that, at least for the 1989-90 tours, was better than the LP version. But as Mick talked about with Don't Stop, it will never have the patina like Honky Tonk Women etc have. They've played it how many times since 1990? I can think of at least once - and it was... tepid at best.

yes the 1 version since the early 90's that I know of is not close to good at all. it had bounce live musically but i'm talking about overall. the vocals were never right live on the chorus and is understandable because mick jagger is one of the backing voices. hard to sing lead and backing vocals at the same time live unless you are paul Stanley winking smiley keith also was never the most trusted backing vocalist live to nail his part every time and he has a big part in the chorus vocal

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 8, 2020 18:10

kovach
Like a lot of folks here, I just remember hearing it and seeing the video thinking "they're back!"

Yeah. That's it.

Hard to conceive of now, but during the time between Dirty Work and Steel Wheels, it seemed as though the Stones were finished.

They had hadn't done a U.S. tour in 8 years-- breaking a tour-every-3 years streak that went from 1966 to 1981. There wasn't a lot of love for the Stones--or at least Mick-- in the rock press. Both Keith and Mick had done solo records and tours. I remember seeing a clip of Ronnie on either MTV or Entertainment Tonight, and he said something like, "That's it. The Stones are done."

So hearing "Mixed Emotions" for the first time was a relief. I wouldn't put it up there with their greatest, but it was the Stones making a real effort to get past their own egos and battles, and the idea of "mixed emotions" was putting their own feelings right out there for the fans to see, which was good because a lot of them had put themselves in the middle of the Mick vs. Keith thing (and mostly siding with Keith).

Regarding the production, it's just a product of it's time, no more than "Undercover of the Night" or "2000 Light Years From Home" or "Emotional Rescue."

It's not something I'd typically put on, but whenever I hear it I'm reminded of how glad I felt at the time that they were back.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 8, 2020 22:40

GasLightStreet

This version is fantastic.

I'll NEVER get used to Mick and Charlie's haircuts during this period.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: March 9, 2020 15:54

A somewhat embarrassing song compared with the classic rockers, although maybe better than 3 of the 4 rockers on Emotional Rescue, and not worse than Don't Stop. But still not bad. The remix is the best official version. The surprising 2016 live version was better than the 1989/90 arrangement. Not bad, but nobody needs it. That's why they play 90 % classics by now in most shows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-09 15:56 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: March 9, 2020 16:11

Monsoon Ragoon
A somewhat embarrassing song compared with the classic rockers, although maybe better than 3 of the 4 rockers on Emotional Rescue, and not worse than Don't Stop. But still not bad. The remix is the best official version. The surprising 2016 live version was better than the 1989/90 arrangement. Not bad, but nobody needs it. That's why they play 90 % classics by now in most shows.

How did you find that version superior to the 1989/90-versions?

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: March 9, 2020 16:20

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon

How did you find that version superior to the 1989/90-versions?

Good question. I own the 4CD version of Indio I with two different audience tapes, but to be honest I haven't listened to it since when it appeared. At least the 2016 live version didn't have the awful 80's mix.

Date: March 10, 2020 01:03

keefriffhard4life
GasLightStreet
keefriffhard4life
stanlove
GasLightStreet

yes the 1 version since the early 90's that I know of is not close to good at all. it had bounce live musically but i'm talking about overall. the vocals were never right live on the chorus and is understandable because mick jagger is one of the backing voices. hard to sing lead and backing vocals at the same time live unless you are paul Stanley winking smiley keith also was never the most trusted backing vocalist live to nail his part every time and he has a big part in the chorus vocal

That sounds a lot like something Mick said about Mixed Emotions live, which was unnecessary for him to even talk about, because I don't recall any journalist/critic saying "How come the chorus is so hard to sing?" before he ever said anything because no one ever thought that except Mick. Not looking at it from a performer's perspective but rather how the band sounded, which was better than the LP version, especially Ronnie's solo.

Some people really like/love songs/albums that the artist didn't - they don't care what the artist said as a copy and paste reason to not like something.

Date: March 10, 2020 01:04

keefriff99
GasLightStreet

This version is fantastic.

I'll NEVER get used to Mick and Charlie's haircuts during this period.

Mick's haircut was completely corporate, which equals awful.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: March 10, 2020 01:19

The fanboy in me wants to believe the lyric, 'You're not the only one ...' was Keith calling Mick's bluff and saying, 'Hey, man, I'm not sure I want to get back together, either.'

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 8, 2020 01:01

Love this song.Dont know it didn’t become. A”warhorse”.Great production on studio cut.Great bass by Bill

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: April 8, 2020 01:35

Truthfully if it was by another artist, say Aerosmith or the Doobie Bros., I would not like it.

However I enjoy the song mostly from the standpoint of nostalgia. Steel Wheels was the first Stones tour I was old enough to attend and there was so much anticipation among my friends and I that in the month leading up to the tour we played the cassette recording of the song someone made off the radio often at gatherings - along with Hot Rocks and Rewind of course. I even picked up a copy of More Hot Rocks on cassette to further educate myself.

1989 was a great year for me personally, probably some of the most fun I had in my life. A lot of "firsts" that year - drinking, partying, casual drug use....

In '89 I saw the Who, the Stones, McCartney and then Bowie in early 1990. Just a fantastic time which I can't believe is more than 30 years ago now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-08 01:40 by JimmyTheSaint.

Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: April 8, 2020 02:13

I do not know if anyone pointed out that this is an open G song with minor chords. Not many Stones open G songs have minor chords. It also has a key change in it. Also something not done many times by the Stones.

Date: April 8, 2020 13:23

Rocknroll1969
I do not know if anyone pointed out that this is an open G song with minor chords. Not many Stones open G songs have minor chords. It also has a key change in it. Also something not done many times by the Stones.

A LOT of open G-songs have minor chords.

Wild Horses (Am, Bm), Before They Make Me Run (Em) and Plundered My Soul (Am formation) are a few quick examples.

All Stones tunes have key changes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-08 13:24 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: April 8, 2020 14:51

DandelionPowderman
Rocknroll1969

Wild Horses (Am, Bm), Before They Make Me Run (Em) and Plundered My Soul (Am formation) are a few quick examples.

3 chords in a song is not a key change. The only other Rolling Stones song I can think of off the top of my head with a key change is Dear Doctor. Most Rolling Stones open G songs are all major chords. I do not think the original version of wild horses has a guitar in open G. Over the years Keith Richards has played a few songs live in open G that were recorded in standard tuning. I aways thought mixed emotions was a good song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-08 15:00 by Rocknroll1969.

Date: April 8, 2020 14:58

Rocknroll1969
DandelionPowderman
Rocknroll1969

3 chords in a song is not a key change. The only other Rolling Stones song I can think of off the top of my head with a key change is Dear Doctor. Most Rolling Stones open G songs are all major chords. I do not think the original version of wild horses has a guitar in open G. Over the years Keith Richards has played a few songs live in open G that were recorded in standard tuning.

I didn't realise you were talking about modulation. That's correct, it doesn’t happen too often.

Yes, Keith plays a 10 string open G on the WH studio version. And he frequently uses the Am, Bm (this one is what makes the WH chord so beautiful - the open g-strings within the chord) and Em chords in open G tuning.

A song in standard tuning that became an open G-song on stage, btw, is LSTNT. In that song he plays that Bm chord again. Same with Wanna Hold You (Am, Bm).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-08 15:03 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: April 8, 2020 15:44

DandelionPowderman
Rocknroll1969
DandelionPowderman
Rocknroll1969

3 chords in a song is not a key change. The only other Rolling Stones song I can think of off the top of my head with a key change is Dear Doctor. Most Rolling Stones open G songs are all major chords. I do not think the original version of wild horses has a guitar in open G. Over the years Keith Richards has played a few songs live in open G that were recorded in standard tuning.

I didn't realise you were talking about modulation. That's correct, it doesn’t happen too often.

Yes, Keith plays a 10 string open G on the WH studio version. And he frequently uses the Am, Bm (this one is what makes the WH chord so beautiful - the open g-strings within the chord) and Em chords in open G tuning.

A song in standard tuning that became an open G-song on stage, btw, is LSTNT. In that song he plays that Bm chord again. Same with Wanna Hold You (Am, Bm).

I forgot about wanna hold you. I like that song. I also thought the original wild horses was in Nashville tuning.

Date: April 8, 2020 16:00

Rocknroll1969
DandelionPowderman
Rocknroll1969
DandelionPowderman
Rocknroll1969

I forgot about wanna hold you. I like that song. I also thought the original wild horses was in Nashville tuning.

That, too. Played by Taylor, if memory serves.

Another one with beautiful use of minor open G-chords is the Stones's version of Like A Rolling Stone.

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: April 29, 2020 01:49

Interesting thing. I just bought Mixed Emotions 7” single. When I tried to play it, the needle jumped like crazy on it. I’ve heard that if a vinyl is too brickwalled the needle won’t stay on the tracks properly, but I’ve never seen one before. The single is unplayable. Anybody else got this single and noticed the same?

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 29, 2020 02:33

Bill do bass is great.This a very good rocker

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1687
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home