Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Any love for "Mixed Emotions"?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 2, 2020 10:14

We gotta come to terms with them being old

Yeah I never play Rough Justice
to any man or woman with heart problems ……

ROCKMAN

Date: March 2, 2020 10:32

grinning smiley

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: March 2, 2020 11:05

This is the most underrated rock song in the history of music.

Change Revision History (Post Edits)
Removed "Take that Beethoven"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-02 11:09 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: March 2, 2020 11:48

Witness
Hairball
Sterile and generic mediocrity - in other words crap.
If any, maybe "Melody" and "Tops" are.

Strange. All of them are favorites of me. Well - it all a matter of taste.

Mixed Emotions (and the making of videos) brings back many memories of their Urban Jungle tour - which I loved.
Melody is one of my all time fav - gotta love Billy!
And Tops - a wonderful Black and Blue track. (I know it was release later on TY)

Date: March 2, 2020 11:52

schwonek
Witness
Hairball
If any, maybe "Melody" and "Tops" are.

Strange. All of them are favorites of me. Well - it all a matter of taste.

Mixed Emotions (and the making of videos) brings back many memories of their Urban Jungle tour - which I loved.
Melody is one of my all time fav - gotta love Billy!
And Tops - a wonderful Black and Blue GHS-track. (I know it was release later on TY)

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: March 2, 2020 15:22

If anyone bad mouthes Mixed Emotions, let me me know - I'll handle it. smileys with beer

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 2, 2020 15:25

Thanks Chris Fountain. smileys with beer

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: March 2, 2020 15:39

DandelionPowderman
schwonek

And Tops - a wonderful Black and Blue GHS-track. (I know it was release later on TY)

Thats right. Sorry. "Slave" and "Worried About You" were recorded during sessions in January–February 1975. Got that wrong.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 2, 2020 16:25

The live version from Pittsburgh or oh right it was recorded in Toronto for the MTV Awards was fantastic, really - I loved Ronnie's fills and solo, his solo is pretty damn good, very melodic.

Charlie just pounds solidly like a cement truck pouring out miles and miles of... cement!

At 4:04 there's a bit, Mick does this back and forth dance thing, where you HEAR The Rolling Stones with their rhythmicness that is so awesome, a heaving thing for just a moment. Ronnie does a bunch of fills before and after that are reminders that he was in the Faces or whatever, that Rod Stewart thing.

The only thing that sucks, really, is that cheeeeeesy keyboard towards the end.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 2, 2020 16:32

keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
24FPS
Mixed Emotions is a B-Plus single. Sometimes they start out with a second level song as the first single, followed by the best song as the second single. Unfortunately for SW, there is no big followup. A lot of good, sometimes great album cuts, but no single.

I was driving an old van with only an AM radio. First I heard the drums, and wondered. Then I heard the choking bass and knew it was Bill. It's a Rolling Stones single. It tells the story of where the band was, reunited after some problems. I'll turn it up if it comes on.

Almost Hear You Sigh was a great single, imo.

yes almost hear you sigh is the highlight of that album

...and that was the 3rd single.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: March 2, 2020 17:25

Yes, lots of love for "Mixed Emotions".

80's production aside, "Mixed Emotions" is good. SW in general is the last truly really good Stones album, for me. In no small part due to Wyman. When Wyman left, they became more of a rock band instead of a rock and roll band.

I still love their shows post '89, and there are really good songs post '89, but not really good albums. That said, I think 'Blue and Lonesome' is strong and will last longer than VL, BtB, or ABB.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: March 2, 2020 21:37

mixed emotions was the first stones single since i became a fan nearly 2 years earlier, i was looking forward to the new tour and album and was quite pleased with steel wheels when it came out but mixed emotions didnt impress me, its sterile and didnt do me any favours when i was trying to get my friends into the stones.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 2, 2020 21:43

Mixed emotions this one.

Date: March 2, 2020 22:12

schillid
Mixed emotions this one.

Oh dear that was quite low hanging fruit. In fact, I think it already actually dropped from the vine and has been sitting on the ground in the sun a bit too long.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 2, 2020 22:12

No, it wouldn't have fit on sticky fingers. But it's a fun song. It gets me psyched up when I hear it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-02 22:13 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: March 3, 2020 00:03

Elmo Lewis
Monitor mix really bring out the guitars.
Indeed - they sound great

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: March 3, 2020 01:52

I like the droning sound. I wish Mick had written lyrics that fit with the chorus.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 3, 2020 02:38

I remember when the single was first released, Larry and Willy on CFOX FM in Vancouver played the song probably 5 times in a row. I was working in a grocery store at the time and they played it before the store opened so it was fairly loud in the store. I remember my manager saying that it's a good song but it's not that good!
I don't mind it personally, will take it over Rock and a Hard Place. Still wish they would have put Your Precious Love on the album!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 3, 2020 06:58

DandelionPowderman
24FPS
DandelionPowderman
24FPS
Mixed Emotions is a B-Plus single. Sometimes they start out with a second level song as the first single, followed by the best song as the second single. Unfortunately for SW, there is no big followup. A lot of good, sometimes great album cuts, but no single.

I was driving an old van with only an AM radio. First I heard the drums, and wondered. Then I heard the choking bass and knew it was Bill. It's a Rolling Stones single. It tells the story of where the band was, reunited after some problems. I'll turn it up if it comes on.

Yes, but by the public reaction, not a great, popular single. It's a very mature Stones, and who the hell wanted that in 1989?

We gotta come to terms with them being old by then. Brilliant track, but hard for 46 year olds to claim their relevancy by releasing good music alone.

God. Remember how old they seemed on the Steel Wheels tour? I really thought it was the end, the capper to their career. It made listening to Ruby Tuesday live both bittersweet, and royal. They did go on, live, for another decade before the long, slow decline. But Steel Wheels was their swan song as far as studio work.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: March 3, 2020 07:30

‘Get off the fence now
You’re creasing your butt
Life is a party
Let’s get out and strut. Yeah’

Jagger writing songs for the junkyard again, one of his favorite pastimes since 1985. You can blame Keith’s drug use, Mick’s jet setting, the Glimmer Twin’s increasingly fractious relationship, Taylor’s departure, Chuck etc. for the band’s steady decline since the mid 80s but the main and simple reason that the latter day songs have no pulling power is Mick’s insipid lyrics. Probably stopped reading provocative literature in order to dedicate himself full-time to ballet sex.

It’s a shame because Mixed Emotions has a pulse but needs more creative lyrics to really bring it to life. It never gained traction in the set list because Jagger can’t sing the chorus live without the aid of a half dozen chicks and a few dogs under the stage (I swear the voice actor who does Scooby Doo was at the recording session).

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 3, 2020 14:05

DandelionPowderman
24FPS
DandelionPowderman
24FPS

Yes, but by the public reaction, not a great, popular single. It's a very mature Stones, and who the hell wanted that in 1989?

We gotta come to terms with them being old by then. Brilliant track, but hard for 46 year olds to claim their relevancy by releasing good music alone.

Now to think of the song in its initial context, "Almost Hear You Sigh" is a kind of tune directed at matured taste, pure polished AOR music if we are to be frank, the Stones probably never sounding so intentionally 'romantic' and 'cheesy' - Mick doing his sweetest vocal delivery as possible, those whoa-whoa background vocals like from aged musical, Keith's over-the-top sugarish acoustic solo... it makes "As Tears Go By", "Ruby Tuesday" or "Angie", not to mention its older brother "Beast of Burden", sound like punk records...grinning smiley

But relaesed as a third single off the album, the chances of it making any big chart impact were gone. By then most of its targeted audience had or knew it from album. Now to think of... Had their released as a first single, prior the relaese of the album, what had people thought of their come back....? I can very well understand that they started with "Mixed Emotions"...

(Notice: I might sound critical, but I'm not: I think "Almost Hear You Sigh" is one of their best latter-day songs - it succeeds wonderfully and convincingly in what aims at to be. It is unique and thereby enrichens their musical vocabulary).

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-03 14:06 by Doxa.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 3, 2020 15:25

What goes for "Mixed Emotions" I share the general sentiment here that is was a good single choice at the time - full of that 'the boys are back in town' come-back feel in it - but it didn't turn out be very memorable song. Not every song need to be done for eternity - it worked nicely back then, lots of great memories, and that's it. I cherish that. And each time I listen the song I feel like it is 1989 again...

Now to think of that #5 in US Charts was quite an achievement. Their last real hit in US markets. "Rock & A Hard Place" hit #23 and "Almost Hear You Sigh" #50, which was their last single hitting Top 50 in Billboard.

However, there supposedly exists world outside America. For example, at their home country, "Mixed Emotions" wasn't any remarkable hit. It only made #36 in UK single charts, which is their worst doing a leading single from an album ever. If I quickly count, since then there have been about a dozen better charting singles there (among them, interestingly, "Almost Hear You Sigh").

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-03 15:33 by Doxa.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: March 3, 2020 15:47

The song does indeed remind me of 1989 but it never grabbed me or made an impression. Maybe for younger fans it did but not for anyone who had been listening to the Stones in '60's/'70's. It wasn't until years until later that a Stones single got my attention and really took hold...'Love Is Strong". Unfortunately it was also the last one.

Date: March 3, 2020 15:54

DGA35
I remember when the single was first released, Larry and Willy on CFOX FM in Vancouver played the song probably 5 times in a row. I was working in a grocery store at the time and they played it before the store opened so it was fairly loud in the store. I remember my manager saying that it's a good song but it's not that good!
I don't mind it personally, will take it over Rock and a Hard Place. Still wish they would have put Your Precious Love on the album!

which grocery store?

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: March 3, 2020 19:14

MileHigh
Hairball

Exactly. Both Mixed Emotions and Don't Stop are "empty calories" songs. They last 3 1/2 listens and then they are out of gas. Meanwhile, I can listen to Rocks Off forever.

But I do like HighWire. One of their last rock songs that is dynamic and has real bite and the guitars are great.

Or when you compare Mixed Emotions to Brown Sugar, Mixed Emotions barely has a registerable pulse.

"empty calorie songs"...I'm stealing that from you.

good one...

Date: March 3, 2020 20:51

treaclefingers
DGA35

which grocery store?

Overwaitea

Date: March 6, 2020 04:19

DGA35
treaclefingers
DGA35

which grocery store?

Overwaitea

Now Save On FoodS?!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 6, 2020 05:08

treaclefingers
schillid
Mixed emotions this one.

Oh dear that was quite low hanging fruit. In fact, I think it already actually dropped from the vine and has been sitting on the ground in the sun a bit too long.

How about this old chestnut....

"More like Mick's Emotions"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-06 06:31 by ryanpow.

Date: March 6, 2020 06:39

treaclefingers
DGA35
treaclefingers
DGA35

which grocery store?

Overwaitea

Yup.

Now Save On FoodS?!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 6, 2020 14:54

No.

It's only aural meccano. (Who said this first about another Stones song ?!)

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1910
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home