Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Any love for "Mixed Emotions"?
Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: March 1, 2020 00:04

A live version of ME showed up today in my feed on YouTube and reminded how much I liked this song. Like a lot of people on this forum, I was worried (only a little though) that the twins would never patch things up after the '86 mess but I heard a new release and tour was coming and remember the day I first heard Mixed Emotions on the car radio and I felt a big sigh of relief LOL. It never turned into one of the classic that gets played on every tour or anything and it sound a little like a half dozen of their other songs, but I still enjoy the tune quite a bit! There was a cool early version on the "Monitor Mix" boot that was fun to listen to also - a little longer and an earlier vocal track.

Re: Any love for "Mixed Emotions"?
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 1, 2020 00:08

I like it in the same way that I like "Highwire" or "Don't Stop." They try hard to be another commercial hit in the familiar rock mode, but never quite went the distance. They're good for what they are and it's a pity they're rarely played, abandoned, or never played live at all.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: March 1, 2020 01:44

Mick's demotion.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: March 1, 2020 02:03

I love the track

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: March 1, 2020 02:33

If you ask that way, nah. That sigh of relief is all the song is, really

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: March 1, 2020 02:49

Great song

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 1, 2020 03:21

Love it

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 1, 2020 03:24

Sterile and generic mediocrity - in other words crap.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: March 1, 2020 03:50

Unlistenable.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 1, 2020 03:51

I like it, but recognize it as the beginning of some really mediocre material in the 'style of' the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: March 1, 2020 05:03

...as far as I'm concerned, one of their last great rock and roll hits.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: March 1, 2020 05:06

I love it. Reminds me of the happy memories I saw the Stones live for the first time at the Three Rivers Stadium, Pittsburg, Sept 6, 1989.

Generic? Maybe. Sterile? Mediocre? Crap? Unlistenable? No. Good song in its own right.

One of the few modern Stones songs I’d love to hear live one more time, along with Can’t Be Seen, Love Is Strong, Anybody Seen My Baby?, Rough Justice etc.

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: March 1, 2020 05:36

When it came out 30+ years ago, I was just jazzed at new Rolling Stones music and the 3 year drought was over. When it comes on the radio, I smile and remember the good times I had on the tour.
I almost never cue it up on my streaming service....

The Fonda Theater.
Posted by: sonyzzz ()
Date: March 1, 2020 06:32

I have been a fan all my life at 58 years old. I listened to Sticky Fingers from Vault with a quality set of headphones. Frank Sinatra, I am a huge fan and a slew of others. This album is a masterpiece, Mick's voice never sounded better. I don't understand at that age how this could be. Sinatra's voice change very much, but I loved it. Cigarettes and smoking never helped. Elton John completing lost his voice, as a Stones fan we are very lucky, for me the band is on fire. And their all in their 70's when this was recorded.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: March 1, 2020 06:37

Hairball

Exactly. Both Mixed Emotions and Don't Stop are "empty calories" songs. They last 3 1/2 listens and then they are out of gas. Meanwhile, I can listen to Rocks Off forever.

But I do like HighWire. One of their last rock songs that is dynamic and has real bite and the guitars are great.

Or when you compare Mixed Emotions to Brown Sugar, Mixed Emotions barely has a registerable pulse.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 1, 2020 06:49

MileHigh
Hairball

Exactly. Both Mixed Emotions and Don't Stop are "empty calories" songs. They last 3 1/2 listens and then they are out of gas. Meanwhile, I can listen to Rocks Off forever.

But I do like HighWire. One of their last rock songs that is dynamic and has real bite and the guitars are great.

Or when you compare Mixed Emotions to Brown Sugar, Mixed Emotions barely has a registerable pulse.

Mixed Emotions made a "surprise" appearance at Desert Trip wkd #1, and needless to say it was the lowlight of the entire show - the lowlight of both Desert Trip shows in fact.
Yes, it was even worse than their cover of Come Together at the same show which at least had the novelty/curiosity/surprise factor.
Come to think of it, Mixed Emotions was the absolute lowlight of both weekends by any of the artists involved with Desert Trip.

spinning smiley sticking its tongue outRe: Any love for "Mixed Emotions"?
Date: March 1, 2020 07:01

Just listened to Desert trip Mixed emotions and it is not bad for a song that has not been played live for such a long time.

Mixed emotions is not great, but not bad either. Has a catchy chorus, a little "predictable" verse.

Of course 80 and 90s Stones are not the same as they were in 70s. But listening to voodoo or steel wheels is still nice and kind of refreshing for a Stones' fan. Remember Continental Drift? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: bam ()
Date: March 1, 2020 07:45

I loved Mixed Emotions when it came out, and still like the album version. Mick’s vocals were angry. The song had a bite to it that live performances haven’t always had.

The Desert Trip version (which I only saw on video) missed that bite. That performance didn’t have Keith singing. The song works in part because of the blend of Mick’s voice with Keith —- and how that makes us think about their relationship. Having the backup singers singing with Keith and Mick — as it was usually performed on the road —- diluted that bite. Having the backup singers without Keith didn’t cut it at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-08 03:49 by bam.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: March 1, 2020 08:49

I like it quite a bit, especially the opening drums which really get attention plus Mick's loud, commanding opening vocals.

plexi

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: March 1, 2020 09:38

Hairball

I find that verdict much too harsh. Almost no Stones song is crap. (If any, maybe "Melody" and "Tops" are.) However, I experience "Mixed Emotions" as a moderate song in a highly moderate album within the measure of their great career.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: March 1, 2020 10:14

I would have sided with you on your moderate verdict, but then you had to bring Melody and Tops into it

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 1, 2020 10:17

Witness
Hairball

I find that verdict much too harsh. Almost no Stones song is crap. (If any, maybe "Melody" and "Tops" are.) However, I experience "Mixed Emotions" as a moderate song in a highly moderate album within the measure of their great career.
Damn, you really dislike Tops that much? I could easily reel off 10 Stones songs that qualify as "crap", but Tops is a fantastic tune IMO.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 1, 2020 10:30

Big fan of this song. Makes me feel happy when I hear it. The music sounds refreshing, makes for a good comeback. After all, I'm not the only one with mixed emotions.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: March 1, 2020 10:39

Nikkei
I would have sided with you on your moderate verdict, but then you had to bring Melody and Tops into it

I fully understand your reaction. But I have so often thought likewise when songs of my own liking or even love are mentionned that way in thread after thread. This time I wanted to reverse the roles.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: March 1, 2020 10:43

Don't like the mix and HATE the vocals (especially the backup vox) in the chorus.
Intro and song are not so bad.

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: March 1, 2020 11:55

Mixed with more punch and louder guitars Mixed Emotions would’ve been a cool rocker. I think the production is the main failing on the track.

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: March 1, 2020 12:30

Mixed Emotions reached No5 in USA which was the Stones last big single hit
Which was quite a surprise for to everyone.

Date: March 1, 2020 13:03

I am really surprised how many of our heavy hitters do not think much of the track. It is surely not one of their greatest compositions, but a great fun rocker. I always think of it with "Silver Train" in same vein.
the reason I would not lump it in with 'Dont stop" e.g. is because of the Keithian influence. There is a lot of Keith in it; not one of these late era Jagger songs. Closely related to " Take it so Hard".
But I always understood how Jagger had a hard time on live stage with the chorus - melodically there is not a big change from verses.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 1, 2020 14:48

The weakest song of the whole SW album?
There's sth anemic and generic in this song that makes you go "blah..."

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: March 1, 2020 15:03

Nikkei

I like Melody, it is so unusual and (seemingly?) spontaneous with those crazy vocalizations/sounds. And I like Tops as well.

plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-01 15:06 by timbernardis.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1616
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home