Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

CS Blues screening in NYC
Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: February 29, 2020 20:57

Nice trailer clip in this article

[www.brooklynvegan.com]

Tickets

[nitehawkcinema.com]

Re: CS Blues screening in NYC
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 29, 2020 22:10

Is director Robert Frank then virtually present during the screening ? .... winking smiley

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 29, 2020 22:54

I'm shocked its not playing at like midnight or something.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 29, 2020 23:34

RollingFreak

Really? The target audience is 60+ years old. Way past their bedtime.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 1, 2020 08:35

loog droog
RollingFreak

Really? The target audience is 60+ years old. Way past their bedtime.

I'd think if you're going to venture out to see @#$%& Blues, you'll go out to see it at whatever times its playing lol.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 1, 2020 13:16

Why is the movie’s film quality so poor? It is blurry and the color is horrible and rinsed out.The performance snippets are great.The Street Fighting Man Clipfrom NYC makes me wish that somewhere in a vault there is the full concert.But too bad the quality of the film isn’t at the level of the Beatles Let It Be

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-01 13:17 by Taylor1.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 1, 2020 16:04

I seem to remember the first releases of the Bangla Desh and Let it Be films that the quality wasnt that great either. Not what you would expect from top flight artists with presumably no budget concerns. By 1972 it should have been much better.

I wonder if it could get enhanced and possibly then a proper DVD release sometime?

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: March 2, 2020 03:22

Thanks for the tip of it being on YouTube. Watching now. I used to have a VHS copy. It has some good moments, but overall it remains kind of a mess.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 2, 2020 03:55

2 cents: Robert Frank was a documentarian. I believe the look of the film is intentionally gritty and grimy.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: March 2, 2020 07:52

This is where for the 1000th time Lem Motlow says-

For the love of all things good and holy will the Stones please
appoint a curator to gather all the film footage.the outtakes, the news reels etc and preserve it.
They did such a great job with “Charlie is my Darling “ and then .... nothing.
You could probably get anyone from Video James to Scorsese to do it for free.
It makes no sense/

When Jimmy Page went back through the old Zep stuff he said they lost some footage because of the old tape disintegrating, you can’t wait forever.
Yet the Stones just let so much of their history just disappear.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 2, 2020 08:56

lem motlow
This is where for the 1000th time Lem Motlow says-

For the love of all things good and holy will the Stones please
appoint a curator to gather all the film footage.the outtakes, the news reels etc and preserve it.
They did such a great job with “Charlie is my Darling “ and then .... nothing.
You could probably get anyone from Video James to Scorsese to do it for free.
It makes no sense/

When Jimmy Page went back through the old Zep stuff he said they lost some footage because of the old tape disintegrating, you can’t wait forever.
Yet the Stones just let so much of their history just disappear.

Because there's not enough money in it? Isn't that pretty much what they do now?

Date: March 2, 2020 09:51

Taylor1
Why is the movie’s film quality so poor? It is blurry and the color is horrible and rinsed out.The performance snippets are great.The Street Fighting Man Clipfrom NYC makes me wish that somewhere in a vault there is the full concert.But too bad the quality of the film isn’t at the level of the Beatles Let It Be

Have you seen the actual film, or a 15th generation bootleg, like me?

I would think Frank's copy is better.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 2, 2020 12:44

DandelionPowderman
Taylor1

I saw a screening of it at the Metropolitan Museum of art about 10 years ago and the quality of the film was just as bad as the bootlegs.Plus the backstage stuff is gross and boring.What Is like to know is what happpened to the complete performances of the songs like Akl down the Line

Date: March 2, 2020 13:42

Taylor1
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1

I saw a screening of it at the Metropolitan Museum of art about 10 years ago and the quality of the film was just as bad as the bootlegs.Plus the backstage stuff is gross and boring.What Is like to know is what happpened to the complete performances of the songs like Akl down the Line

I kind of like thAT hue, that overall blue tint of the film. It adds to the mystique of the film. No colors are ever going to make it a more joyful experience. It is what it is.
I was working with a guy, who was a rocker, but wasn't all that versed in the Stones. we were always talking, and he became more and more interested. He knew the basics, so I told him to go watch "Gimme Shelter", and "L&G" and '81" etc. But he had heard about CS Blues, plus I was always saying that they were best around that time. So he watched it, and came back horrified LOL.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 2, 2020 14:59

Taylor1
I saw a screening of it at the Metropolitan Museum of art about 10 years ago and the quality of the film was just as bad as the bootlegs.

Logical concluson : only Mick has the original film elements and only he can provide pristine HQ digital transferts for public viewing (i.e. "Crossfire Hurricane" iirc)
Frank's "personal" copy must be in fact an early 80's Betamax tranfert.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: March 3, 2020 03:34

The backstage stuff was gross and boring? The image quality was poor?

I thought and still think it was the best, most realistic film made about or around the Rolling Stones. Beat f out of One Plus One, just for a start. Sure the image is sharper and nice color and everything, but women wandering with monosyllabic responses for long periods of time, uh, no.

jb

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: March 3, 2020 07:44

jbwelda
The backstage stuff was gross and boring? The image quality was poor?

It's a film that's only interesting as long you don't look at it

Date: March 3, 2020 08:57

That's insane

jb

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: March 3, 2020 22:27

Ok there's Keef with the TV set what else

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: March 3, 2020 23:57

Nikkei
Ok there's Keef with the TV set what else

To me, the best part of the film is certainly the concert sequences. Elsewise, how interesting is it watching Mick and Bianca hanging around getting ready to go out (and that's one of the more fun scenes in comparison!)? So while some of the live stuff may be similar to L&G, the scene with Mick and co. jamming w. Stevie Wonder and band on Uptight, and Satisfaction may be worth the price of admission alone. Pretty sure I've seen just that bit on its own (youtube?), but that truly is some pretty killer stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-04 00:01 by DEmerson.

Date: March 4, 2020 02:12

Bobby Keys with the TV set. Saw somewhere someone asked him about it and he said, you know, I have forty years in show biz and that's all people remember me for..."hey you were the guy threw the tv out the window".

I liked all the behind the scenes stuff, staged or not. Eating the groupie on the plane? priceless. you aint gonna get that sort of "real" these days that's for sure, everyone is busy covering their butt so they get a nice word on their grave stone, that aint what I dug about the Stones that's for sure. Five minutes of CS Blues is better, for me, than all the live crap they have put out the last forty years, or thirty at best. But evidently, it is just me. Again.

jb

Date: March 4, 2020 15:00

jbwelda
Bobby Keys with the TV set. Saw somewhere someone asked him about it and he said, you know, I have forty years in show biz and that's all people remember me for..."hey you were the guy threw the tv out the window".

I liked all the behind the scenes stuff, staged or not. Eating the groupie on the plane? priceless. you aint gonna get that sort of "real" these days that's for sure, everyone is busy covering their butt so they get a nice word on their grave stone, that aint what I dug about the Stones that's for sure. Five minutes of CS Blues is better, for me, than all the live crap they have put out the last forty years, or thirty at best. But evidently, it is just me. Again.

jb

Oh poor JB,winking smiley haha... No, I;m right there w/ you. I'll take the bleakest sequence of true rockn roll over all this staged edited footage from last decades too.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: March 4, 2020 21:41

Taylor1

SFM is from Houston June 25 #2. The encore is Philadelphia #2 July 21st First show.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 5, 2020 03:33

I like the scene of Charlie, Bianca, and the two Micks riding through rural Alabama from Mobile to Tuscaloosa, stopping along the way at some juke joint to shoot pool with the locals. I'd love to know where they stopped.

Date: March 5, 2020 04:18

Can you imagine them doing, or even wanting to do, anything like that now? that's part of the charm of this movie, it documents an era that was never repeated. Everything almost immediately got too big and unwieldy to have personal intimate moments with random public.

jb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1538
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home