Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Any Tipps for New York
Posted by: basti ()
Date: February 28, 2020 19:27

Hallo everybody

I fly in two Weeks to the best City in the World

anybody Tipps for me

- Record Stores
- Merch Stores
- Stones Places

basti

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-28 19:27 by basti.

Re: Any Tipps for New York
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 28, 2020 19:31

It's been too long since I've been there, for sure much has changed in the music scene, if there's even one left. But I can say make sure you visit The Village, eat a slice of cheese pizza and hot dog. Enjoy "New Rome" as John Lennon described NY. I'm in agreement, it's an amazing city full of great people too. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 28, 2020 19:57

bring lots of money. first time i went i had to have my mom (RIP) wire me some more cash.

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: February 28, 2020 20:17

Keep your wallet in your front pocket.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 28, 2020 20:24

iraq0708
I do that no matter where I am.

It's not 1977 anymore...NYC is extremely safe by large city standards.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: February 28, 2020 21:02

Rough Trade records in Brooklyn is a cool spot, Greenwich Village has some great music related places.

Favorite Pizza places - Bleeker Street Pizza in west village, NY Pizza Supreema near Madison Square Garden

Favorite Deli- Katz's Deli in lower east side

Favorite Bar (my friend's place) Greenwich Treehouse

Little Italy and Chinatown worth visiting for some good eats.

I will be there in 2 weeks for Allman's 50th Anniv show at Madison Square Garden and Love Rocks NYC benefit at Beacon.

Date: February 28, 2020 21:39

daspyknows
Haven't been there yet, but still bummed out that the Carnegie Deli closed. My Dad and I went there about six years and I got their famous (and massive) pastrami on rye. It was as good as it looks, and as filling.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: February 28, 2020 21:39

Last year I spend 6 days in NYC.
Still a great and safe city
(been there in 94 and 97 as well).
No need to worry.

Stones places I visited:
Waiting On A Friend video site (St Mark´s Place) -
look for schillid´s description here on iorr.
Don´t forget to shoot a photo with YOU on THE stairs.

Dance, Pt. 1: "Corner of W 8th ST. and the 6th Ave".

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: February 28, 2020 21:45

if you like bookstores - the Strand is great (12th & Broadway...take the subway to Union Square and walk south 3-4 blocks)

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: February 28, 2020 22:31

Have the Pastrami at Katz deli!

Date: February 28, 2020 22:48

swimtothemoon
Have the Pastrami at Katz deli!
The location of the famous line from Rob Reiner's mother, Estelle, in When Harry Met Sally:

"I'll have what she's having."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-28 22:51 by keefriff99.

Date: February 28, 2020 22:55

keefriff99
daspyknows
Haven't been there yet, but still bummed out that the Carnegie Deli closed. My Dad and I went there about six years and I got their famous (and massive) pastrami on rye. It was as good as it looks, and as filling.

Carnegie was great but Katz's best in city IMHO

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 28, 2020 23:44

If your in town, be sure call Linda Richman at 555-4444. Just give her call and talk, no big whoop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-28 23:46 by ryanpow.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 29, 2020 00:16

I have a quick tip learned the hard way on my first trip to NYC decades ago.

Don't assume that even if you are going the wrong way on the subway, it must stop soon because after all, it's an island winking smiley
*ended up verrrrry far into Brooklyn spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 29, 2020 00:23

Date: February 29, 2020 00:46

daspyknows
keefriff99
daspyknows

Carnegie was great but Katz's best in city IMHO
Excellent...will try to get there sometime!

Date: February 29, 2020 01:09

Hairball

Been there and its very good but only does whole pies. Bleeker Street pizza does slices. It is a 7 minute walk from my friend's bar and they deliver to the bar. After the 2nd NJ Stones jammed out of the stadium, made the first train from Met Life Stadium after the show, connected in Secaucus, got to Penn Station, 3 subway stops to bar. My friend JB who was tending bar poured me a beer, I ordered 2 pizzas from Bleeker Street for delivery and food was waiting when the rest of the group arrived.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 29, 2020 03:00

Yeah Johns doesn't mess around with slices - they're so good that people line up for whole pizza's and whole pizza's only!
Anyhow, I'll side with my local NY friend Richie aka "Pizza" who always shows me the ropes whenever I visit NY.
Johns...since 1929...accept no substitutes...winking smiley...unless you're in a pinch as there's plenty of great pizza in NYC to be quite honest.

Date: February 29, 2020 03:24

MisterDDDD

Don't assume that even if you are going the wrong way on the subway, it must stop soon because after all, it's an island winking smiley

been there, done that, bought the tshirt! also not recommended going into the port authority looking to get back to new jersey in the wee hours with Linda Sue Dixon! winking smiley

Date: February 29, 2020 03:41

crholmstrom
MisterDDDD

been there, done that, bought the tshirt! also not recommended going into the port authority looking to get back to new jersey in the wee hours with Linda Sue Dixon! winking smiley

Word for the wise, avoid the Port Authority terminal.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 29, 2020 04:17

New York is not as safe as it was.Ilive in a suburb 15 miles north of Manhattan and due to a new criminal justice bill which requires no bail for most criminals the crime rate this year has gone up almost25percent..There are also a lot more homeless living on the streets.You will be still pretty safe from crime in Manhattan if you are out in areas where there are crowds .If you are walking the streets at 300am and this no one around there is a good chance you will get robbed

Date: February 29, 2020 04:37

Taylor1
New York is not as safe as it was.Ilive in a suburb 15 miles north of Manhattan and due to a new criminal justice bill which requires no bail for most criminals the crime rate this year has gone up almost25percent..There are also a lot more homeless living on the streets.You will be still pretty safe from crime in Manhattan if you are out in areas where there are crowds .If you are walking the streets at 300am and this no one around there is a good chance you will get robbed

what we tell the teenage kids now holds true: nothing good ever happens after midnight! we are now our parents....

Posted by: Ruediger ()
Date: February 29, 2020 10:05

Don't miss
Peter Luger Steak House
Adress: 178 Broadway, Brooklyn, NY 11211
Menue: peterluger.com
phone: +1 718-387-7400

They have NY's best steaks!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 29, 2020 12:52

Add me to the list of people that love John's Pizza. But yeah too bad no slices. On the subject of food there's Yoshinoya from Japan. Love the Gyudon, or beef bowl.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 29, 2020 13:25

Manhattan is pretty safe ,even after midnight as long as there are crowds on the street.Central Park has seen an uptick in crime.A Barnard College student was savagely murdered there during a robbery recently .A French tourist was randomly attacked by a homeless man in Harlem and had his throat slashed.But overall crime is not bad like it was before Guliani was mayor

Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: February 29, 2020 13:59

The are a lot of nice museums off of Central Park. The best pizza is Don Antonio’s on 50th street and 8th ave.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 29, 2020 16:01

daspyknows

Word for the wise, avoid the Port Authority terminal.

It's still a pit of filth? So the spirit of the "old NY" is not totally gone! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 1, 2020 15:22

iraq0708

so not true.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 1, 2020 16:23

crholmstrom
Taylor1

what we tell the teenage kids now holds true: nothing good ever happens after midnight! we are now our parents....

well, as it turns out they were right about a lot of things.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: March 1, 2020 19:32

Taylor1

I was there this past week and it was just as safe as any metropolis. Rode the subway (like I always try to do), walked around Manhattan, hit the Deli across the street from my hotel (Kempton Eventi) and would have made the walk to the World Trade center if I'd had the time.

Any place on this planet is as safe as YOU make it. Our drummer was robbed in Moscow one of the times we were there because the Hoods that got him saw him coming out of our hotel and heard him speaking in French. I Never left the hotel since I would have stuck out like a sore thumb. London, Paris, Berlin, Sao Paulo all can be just as rough as New York or East Saint Louis (well our promoter was shot and killed in Sao Paulo right after our show but that's another story).

Looking at it from a Per Capita danger level, Saint Louis has pretty much everybody beat.

My suggestion is have fun, he on the lookout and don't assume the person that fits the profile is the one that will harm you. Blending in works much better than walking down the street naked with bank notes in each hand.

If you want a great place with fantastic atmosphere and food you can't beat the USA Brooklyn Diner! It's very close to Carnegie Hall at 212 West 57. After the second screening of Brown Eyed Handsome Man Thursday night Steve said this was the place to go. He was right and we had the chance to have a good meal and talk.

Cool place for sure...

CBII

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1749
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home