Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
IORR 40 years anniversary in 2020
Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 28, 2020 17:30

The first IORR magazine no. 1 was published in November 1980, marking the "official" start of the magazine and the IORR fan club 40 years ago this year. Before that, earlier in 1980, I mailed Stones flyers to friends, so technically IORR is already celebrating the 40th year anniversary as we speak.

In order to make a new IORR magazine I did always need a LOT of pictures, information, details, all sorts of stuff that is interesting for other fans. Just a small bit of what I got ended up in the IORR magazines. There is lots more, and I hope to be able to publish more as soon as there is time.

I have been working on sorting out my Stones files during the past few months. They have been just piling up all over the house during the past 49 years, since I started collecting in 1971. I am sure my collection is one of the world's most disorganized ones, but I am now slowly getting it sorted out.

One of my specialities have been press photos, especially 60's and early 70's, just an example below. The byline says:

"Syndication International : Rolling Stone Keith Richard and his son Marlon in the grounds of his villa in Ville Franche on the French riviera."

I will probably keep sorting out stuff all through the year, so I will post some interesting pictures here every now and then.

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-28 17:35 by bv.

Re: IORR 40 years anniversary in 2020
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 28, 2020 17:35

Congratulations..... and thanks!

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 28, 2020 17:37

Happy 40th BV. Love that Keith/Marlon photo!!

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: February 28, 2020 17:42

dope.

Is it really "Ronnie Wood and FIENDS" or is that a misprint of "friends?"

you should sign some 1st issue 1st editions and have a contest to win them....count me in!

congrats, man...really great stuff and amazing you've kept it going for so long (and without selling out to lame-o pop-ups and advertising BS)...much appreciated.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 28, 2020 17:43

Congratulations, Bjornulf! I've been coming here for Stones news for 24 years.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 28, 2020 17:44

BV,

Disorganised it might be, but in terms of contents (i.e. what you have) it is probably a treasure trove for future students of the RS and everything they were and everything they did … hence invaluable I would say. Your stuff would surely be up there with some of the treasures that people like Matt Lee have. Fabulous, glad people like you exist … the world is richer for you.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: February 28, 2020 17:47

stickyfingers101
dope.

you should sign some 1st issue 1st editions and have a contest to win them....count me in!

congrats, man...really great stuff and amazing you've kept it going for so long (and without selling out to lame-o pop-ups and advertising BS)...much appreciated.

It is my real ticket so sure it is a misprint, just like the 1971 press photo named Keith Richard without the s...

Bjornulf

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: February 28, 2020 17:52

Congrats BV!!! Best website/fanclub out there!

Date: February 28, 2020 17:56

Congratulations, Bjørnulf! thumbs up

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: February 28, 2020 17:58

Happy 40th BV!

and thank you very much

mariano

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()

bv
stickyfingers101
dope.

It is my real ticket so sure it is a misprint, just like the 1971 press photo named Keith Richard without the s...

I think the show was billed as "Ronnie Wood and Fiends". Another example of Woody's humor.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()

This has been an amazing labour of love Bjornulf - thanks so much for making the site available to us. It is invaluable. I have a small stack of your magazines tucked away, and a very modest pile of souvenirs, but I am very jealous of your Molson Canadian Rocks (SARStock) ticket stub. That was my first Stones concert. For some reason I kept that stub in my wallet, which was stolen the day before I left for London for the 2007 concerts. I mourn its loss. Great times, great memories. You have helped build a community of delightful lunatics around the world. Thank you.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: February 28, 2020 17:59

Wow 40 years. I'm sure I would have been a member much sooner if the internet had been in place.
Congratulations Bjornulf Vik

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: February 28, 2020 18:01

Apply for Guinness World record "Most disorganized collection" Congratulations on that other milestone too

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 28, 2020 18:17

Congratulations and many thanks, bv.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: February 28, 2020 18:18

Thanks, BV. Your labor of love is much appreciated.

Posted by: RG ()
Date: February 28, 2020 18:22

40 AND COUNTING !! Congratulations keep up the good work

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-28 18:22 by RG.

Date: February 28, 2020 18:44

The process of making a new IORR magazine was almost like giving birth to a new baby for me. So far 61 ones, still counting...

The goal was making four - 4 - magazines per year, but with a family of three children and my wife, and working 8-12 h with my real work, that was hard. Also, the Stones were touring often, like now. I needed a month to compile text, stories etc for a new magazine to be printed. Before that, all recent Stones info I had was kept in an incoming file, so that every magazine would cover all the latest happenings.

When starting compiling a new magazine, the first task was going into the capital city Oslo, to visit the photo agencies. There were 3-4 agencies, and they represented all professional international photographers and agencies including AP, Reuters, REX and so on. I paid full price for every picture I printed, typical USD 150, that way I owned the right to print the picture, and I could return to the agency as a value customer every time I was working on a new magazine. They gave me full access to everything they had, I panned through hundreds of rare press photos, also paparazzi pictures, which I never used, in respect of the Stones' privacy, then great rare pro shots, like the one below with Mick & Clive, or Keith and Johnny Depp, or the Ronnie one. None of these were used in any magazine, but I had them for evaluation, then other images were chosen for that magazine...

With 20-30 great photo samples coming back from the agencies, I worked on text, stories, what picture to have on the front page, back page, center page, then I looked through the photo samples and reduced the number into 12-15. Then I ordered high res images from the agency, and had them sent to the printers. The printers got my pdf text with final layout, then they cropped in right size images. Some times they cropped out band members, that's why I always had to get a proof blueprint.

When the blueprint was approved, the magazine went into print. A week or so later, the magazines were ready. ypically, they got the material on a Monday, I got the blueprint 1-2 days later, then 24 hours printing, binding, going to the printers in Oslo on a Friday to pick up the final boxes with magazines, dead tired. Then the hard work of putting magazines into envelopes, making name labels and so on had to be done fast, usually in 24 hours, because I was always on the road or was about to leave for work travel, so the magazines had to be mailed out before I left home. Friday afternoon until the post office closed at 2pm Saturday was always a long long work night.

One time I remember my family helped in on packing and mailing the magazines, while I was on tour. I was surprised when someone showed me the new magazine, may be it was in NYC. I had never seen it, even if I had approved the bluepring.

It was great days, busy days, and I love them all, my iorr "babies"...

Bjornulf

Posted by: ErwinH ()
Date: February 28, 2020 19:36

Congratulations, Bjornulf!

40 years... I'm a member for 7 years now, feel like a newbie...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 28, 2020 19:55

Outstanding - congrats Bjornulf! thumbs up

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: February 28, 2020 20:05

Congrats - thanks BV and your family for all of your hard work!

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: February 28, 2020 20:29

Congratulations, BV, and Thanks for all your efforts all these years to enlighten the masses regarding The Rolling Stones!

We are all here because we recognize the hard work and appreciate the information you publish...

Posted by: Harry ()
Date: February 28, 2020 20:43

Thank you BV!! Congratulations, best fan club.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 28, 2020 20:47

Thank you BV for giving us this site and letting us share our passion. It's my favorite and most visited website by far. Cheers and best wishes!

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: February 28, 2020 20:52

BV---I still have the stickers you sent out with the magazine when UNDERCOVER LP was released....do you remember them!? smiling bouncing smiley

Date: February 28, 2020 21:15

iraq0708
BV---I still have the stickers you sent out with the magazine when UNDERCOVER LP was released....do you remember them!? smiling bouncing smiley

Sure I do remember the Undercover stickers! I printed a few thousand, and I do still have a bunch left down in my piles of Stones stuff.

I gave a bunch of them to my kids, they were 2-7 years old back then, and they just put those stickers everywhere. On the garage walls, on their work desks, on our doors and so on. Everywhere. This is still a memory of those days, see picture below...

Bjornulf

(Re: IORR 40 years anniversary in 2020
Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: February 28, 2020 21:24

thumbs up

Great pictures and great thread.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-28 21:25 by tonyc.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: February 28, 2020 21:26

Amazing journey, congrats!

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: February 28, 2020 21:50

40 years, impressive!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 28, 2020 21:52

Wow, no small feat! Congrats, Bjornulf. thumbs up

~"Love is Strong"~

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1867
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home