Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 11, 2021 21:13

bleedingman
New data suggests Pfizer and Moderna's vaccines may be less effective against Delta

Overall, it found that the Moderna vaccine was 86% effective against infection over the study period, and Pfizer's was 76%. Moderna's vaccine was 92% effective against hospitalization and Pfizer's was 85%.

But the vaccines' effectiveness against infection dropped sharply in July, when the Delta variant's prevalence in Minnesota had risen to over 70%.

Moderna was 76% effective against infection, and Pfizer was only 42% effective.

The study found similar results in other states. For example, in Florida, the risk of infection in July for people fully vaccinated with Moderna was about 60% lower than for people fully vaccinated with Pfizer.

Why it matters: Although it has yet to be peer-reviewed, the study raises serious questions about both vaccines' long-term effectiveness, particularly Pfizer's.

It's unclear whether the results signify a reduction in effectiveness over time, a reduced effectiveness against Delta, or a combination of both.

"Based on the data that we have so far, it is a combination of both factors," said Venky Soundararajan, a lead author of the study. "The Moderna vaccine is likely — very likely — more effective than the Pfizer vaccine in areas where Delta is the dominant strain, and the Pfizer vaccine appears to have a lower durability of effectiveness.”

He added that his team is working on a follow-up study that will try to differentiate between the durability of the two vaccines and their effectiveness against Delta.

Yes, but: There has been no data so far that has found either vaccine's protection against severe disease and death is significantly less against Delta, and the study notes that there doesn't appear to be much of a difference in complications stemming from breakthrough infections based on which vaccine someone got.

And experts cautioned against rushing to conclusions.

“This is the kind of surprising finding that needs confirmation before we should accept its validity," said Cornell virologist John Moore.

Between the lines: The two shots both use mRNA, but there are significant differences between them.

For example, Moderna is given in a stronger dose than Pfizer, and there is a slightly different time interval between shots.

"There are a few differences between what are known to be similar vaccines .... None of these variables is an obvious smoking gun, although the dosing amount seems the most likely to be a factor," Moore said.

In a statement, Pfizer said it and BioNTech "expect to be able to develop and produce a tailor-made vaccine against that variant in approximately 100 days after a decision to do so, subject to regulatory approval.

[news.yahoo.com]

So the takeaway which is positive, is that they can ramp up a variant vax fairly quickly. I guess the 'subject to regulatory approval' part is the part that is unclear in terms of timing.

OT - Stevie Nicks cancels all remaining 2021 shows due to Covid safety concerns.
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 11, 2021 19:52

From her Instagram page:

These are challenging times with challenging decisions that have to be made. I want everyone to be safe and healthy and the rising Covid cases should be of concern to all of us. While I'm vaccinated, at my age, I am still being extremely cautious and for that reason have decided to skip the 5 performances I had planned for 2021. Because singing and performing have been my whole life, my primary goal is to keep healthy so I can continue singing for the next decade or longer. I'm devastated and I know the fans are disappointed, but we will look forward to a brighter 2022.

Re: OT - Stevie Nicks cancels all remaining 2021 shows due to Covid safety concerns.
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 11, 2021 20:13

Stevie Nicks gets it huh

Re: OT - Stevie Nicks cancels all remaining 2021 shows due to Covid safety concerns.
Date: August 11, 2021 20:43

TheGreek
Stevie Nicks gets it huh

Have you heard the story about the Zen Master and the Little Boy?

The boy’s father bought him a horse for his fourteenth birthday and everyone in the village said, “Isn’t that wonderful, the boy got a horse?” and the Zen Master said, “We’ll see.”

A couple of years later the boy fell from his horse, badly breaking his leg and everyone in the village said, “How awful, he won’t be able to walk properly.” The Zen Master said, “We’ll see.”

Then, a war broke out and all the young men had to go and fight, but this young man couldn’t because his leg was still messed up and everyone said, “How wonderful!” The Zen Master said, “We’ll see.”

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: August 11, 2021 20:50

The Sicilian
TheGreek
Stevie Nicks gets it huh

The boy’s father bought him a horse for his fourteenth birthday and everyone in the village said, “Isn’t that wonderful, the boy got a horse?” and the Zen Master said, “We’ll see.”

A couple of years later the boy fell from his horse, badly breaking his leg and everyone in the village said, “How awful, he won’t be able to walk properly.” The Zen Master said, “We’ll see.”

Then, a war broke out and all the young men had to go and fight, but this young man couldn’t because his leg was still messed up and everyone said, “How wonderful!” The Zen Master said, “We’ll see.”

huh?

Yes she gets it. She doesn't want to get sick from Covid and doesn't want her fans to either. The opposite of Eric Clapton.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 11, 2021 21:07

daspyknows
The Sicilian
TheGreek
Stevie Nicks gets it huh

huh?

Yes she gets it. She doesn't want to get sick from Covid and doesn't want her fans to either. The opposite of Eric Clapton.

And all the other artists planning a tour in the fall…

Date: August 11, 2021 21:10

The Sicilian
TheGreek
Stevie Nicks gets it huh

Is there a point to this amazing parable? We'll see.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 11, 2021 21:17

daspyknows
The Sicilian
TheGreek
Stevie Nicks gets it huh

huh?

Exactly what I meant that she gets the severity of the COVID-19 Pandemic which is now raging in it's fourth wave here in the USA . i applaud her very wise desicion to stay healthy versus another mega payday from a tour that might happen or wont happen . Quality of life for me is far more important than anything else and as the old adage goes "this to shall pass" You certainly know from reading my comments what side I fall on (safety above all else )

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 11, 2021 21:40

New details from the health authorities in Norway are telling how important it is to get vaccinated. One out of ten who are testing positive for covid-19 these days are fully vaccinated. Most of those who test positive are in the age range 10-29.

A total of 1,137 fully vaccinated people in Norway have tested positive for covid-19. Out of these, 35 were hospitalized, i.e. 3% of all the fully vaccinated who tested positive. 29 out of these 35 were in the high risk group, and their median age was 80 years old.

If you get the vaccine, you will protect yourself. Also, you will protect others who do not have a proper protection from the vaccine.

The fact that 10% of all fully vaccinated do still test positive for covid-19, i.e. they do carry the virus, means it makes sense to keep a distance, and also to wear a mask when you are not able to keep a distance. The pandemic is not over yet.

[www.aftenposten.no]

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-11 21:42 by bv.

Date: August 11, 2021 21:49

BV, could you wait a day or two before merging new topic threads into threads with nearly 300 pages. It is of a different topic. The topic is easily lost for those who have not read it yet. Many bypass the topic because it seems redundant. Thanks.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 11, 2021 22:36

This problem will probably end up taking care of itself. And the world may well be much better off for it. Tough love, tough beans.

jb

Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: August 11, 2021 22:40

2021 is looking like 2020 all over again despite the vaccines. I found the Axios news story very concerning. The company I work for was looking to put us back in the office the week of Sept 6. Now they are pushing it back to November.

Date: August 11, 2021 22:45

Rocknroll1969
2021 is looking like 2020 all over again despite the vaccines. I found the Axios news story very concerning. The company I work for was looking to put us back in the office the week of Sept 6. Now they are pushing it back to November.

That old adage that people that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 11, 2021 22:53

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: August 11, 2021 23:03

bv
The pandemic is not over yet.
Indeed! The forth wave of the virus is rising. The number of infections is rising fast, more and more young persons in hospitals, the number of vaccined people is rising too slow. Time enough for the virus to create new mutations - Delta has arrived, others will follow. Crazy people are telling dangerous rubbish about Covid ignoring the facts. That's the mix.
I don't think the tour will happen, maybe just a few shows.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-11 23:36 by MAF.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 11, 2021 23:47

The Sicilian
BV, could you wait a day or two before merging new topic threads into threads with nearly 300 pages. It is of a different topic. The topic is easily lost for those who have not read it yet. Many bypass the topic because it seems redundant. Thanks.

I do NOT want IORR to be a COVID-19 site. Already, there are three - 3 - separate covid-19 threads on top of page one of the Tell Me main forum. In addition, there are many covid-19 posts in the 2021 tour thread. I merged the new "Stevie Nicks" thread with seven comments about cancellation due to covid-19 here, because I do not want many separate covid-19 threads.

It takes me hours to babysit threads here on IORR every day now. At all times, if someone post something about covid-19, which is sort of political, there is a war with more than 100 hostile comments, fights and quotes within hours. I do NOT want these wars all over IORR.

There are cancellations of shows and tours EVERY DAY now, due to COVID-19. Feel free to post about those here. Anyone who plan to go and see The Rolling Stones would be interested to know about these cancellations. If you plan to see The Rolling Stones live this year, you should spend some time following this covid-19 thread. It should take no more than some minutes every day, just browsing through the headlines, then you will know about the situation. I do work hard to delete all political propaganda here, but some times I do sleep, so give it a few hours rather than starting a fight here just because there is a post you think is offending.

The Rolling Stones will tour USA soon. Many states are RED color i.e. they do have more than 100 cases per 100,000. There may be cancellations, we do not know how September and October will look like. It's a mix of economy, politics and health/science. Be prepared to see the Stones live soon this year, but also, be prepared if there are changes.

We do not have to read about or think about covid-19 all of the time. Many are fully vaccinated, or will be so soon. Many have been following rules and masks faithfully for a long time now. We are all fed up of the virus and the rules and the limitations.

Bjornulf

Date: August 12, 2021 00:31

Jason Isbell Won’t Back Down on Vaccine Mandates

“The right thing is to try to keep people safe,” says the songwriter who’s come under fire for requiring proof of Covid vaccination at all his shows

By Joseph Hudak
August 11, 2021

Rick Kern/WireImage/Getty

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 12, 2021 06:59

‘Act now’ on global vaccines to stop more-dangerous variants, experts warn Biden
Health officials and activists ramp up pressure on the administration to deliver on promises of global vaccine equity

Coronavirus

More than 175 public health experts, scientists and activists on Tuesday demanded that President Biden take urgent steps to confront the global spread of the coronavirus, warning that without immediate action to inoculate the rest of the world, newer variants are likely to emerge — including ones that may evade vaccines’ protection. “We urge you to act now,” the experts wrote in a joint letter to senior White House officials Tuesday and shared with The Washington Post. “Announcing within the next 30 days an ambitious global vaccine manufacturing program is the only way to control this pandemic, protect the precious gains made to date, and build vaccine infrastructure for the future.” The health experts also address Biden directly in a separate letter, underscoring that the delta variant is causing a surge of infections across the globe, including in Africa, Latin America and Asia, where many residents have yet to receive a single dose. Meanwhile, they note, the United States has stockpiled more than 55 million doses of mRNA vaccines but is administering fewer than 900,000 per day, with millions of Americans still balking at getting the shots. “At this rate, it would take over two months to administer just the vaccine doses currently stored,” wrote the authors, urging Biden to begin distributing millions of stockpiled doses per week. The letters’ co-signers include Tom Frieden, who led the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention during the Obama administration; Linda Fried, the dean of Columbia University’s public health school; Paul Farmer, the co-founder of Partners in Health, a nonprofit group focused on the developing world; and other leaders in global health and infectious disease. More than 50 organizations also co-signed the letter. The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Several signers said they have privately appealed to senior Biden administration officials, including infectious-disease expert Anthony S. Fauci and top pandemic adviser David Kessler, but had grown frustrated with the slow pace of movement on global vaccinations. Fewer than 4 percent of Africans and about 30 percent of Asians have received at least one dose of a coronavirus vaccine, compared with nearly 60 percent of Americans, according to the University of Oxford’s Our World in Data project.

The White House has been criticized for months by public health experts who say Biden has announced piecemeal steps to confront the global crisis but done too little to ramp up immediate vaccine production. “We’ve been pushing Fauci and Kessler hard on this for months, and they, in turn, have been pushing those above them. But the world has nothing to show for it,” said Peter Staley, a co-founder of PrEP4All Collaboration, an HIV/AIDS advocacy organization that has pivoted to coronavirus activism. Staley and other letter-signers vowed increasingly intense protests, including targeting officials and companies that are perceived to be delaying the response. “Pharma took years before letting the rest of the world access their AIDS drugs,” he said. “We won’t let that happen with covid vaccines.” The Biden administration has defended its global response, with officials announcing last week that the United States has sent more than 110 million doses of vaccine to dozens of nations. The United States also is moving to distribute 500 million doses of mRNA vaccine that the administration purchased from Pfizer and plans to share with nearly 100 low- and middle-income nations. “From the beginning of my presidency, I’ve been very clear-eyed that we need to attack this virus globally, not just at home, because it’s in America’s self-interest to do so,” Biden said last week, pledging that the United States would serve as “the arsenal of vaccines, just as we were the arsenal of democracy during World War II.”

Activists and watchdogs say the administration needs to go much further. Some of their frustration has centered on Moderna, which received more than $1.3 billion in federal funding to produce its vaccine but, they argue, has done too little to share its expertise with others. “This administration has been playing footsies with Moderna instead of leading on this issue,” Staley added, invoking Biden’s comparison of the fight against the pandemic to World War II. “Do you think Roosevelt asked Henry Ford if he could start building tanks, but only on the company’s timetable?” The watchdog group Public Citizen also argued Tuesday that Biden has sweeping powers to share details of Moderna’s vaccine production process, citing the April 2020 contract that Moderna signed with the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority, an arm of the Department of Health and Human Services. “The knowledge that can help end the pandemic should not be a secret,” said Zain Rizvi, a law and policy researcher who authored Public Citizen’s report and concluded that the federal government retains “unlimited rights” to data first produced under that contract. “The Biden administration promised a wartime response to the global vaccine effort. It’s time to deliver.” A spokesperson for Moderna did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

In their letter to Biden, the experts demanded that the administration commit to establishing 8 billion doses per year of mRNA vaccine capacity by the end of the year, exporting at least 40 million vaccine doses from the United States per month and helping set up vaccine manufacturing hubs around the globe. Global health experts last month said in a review that global vaccine production is projected to exceed 7 billion doses this year and that wealthy countries have pledged to share nearly 1 billion with the developing world. But many of the doses set to be produced — and shared so far — are not messenger RNA (mRNA) vaccines, which have been found to produce greater levels of protection. “People are really frantic right now,” said Yale University public health researcher Gregg Gonsalves, who co-signed the letter and said that he had privately urged administration officials to take immediate action. “I think you’re going to see an escalation from our side over the next few weeks. No one seems to have gotten the message that the world is burning — and the status quo is unacceptable.”

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 12, 2021 07:09

Jazz Fest cancels,

New Orleans Jazz Fest cancels 2021 event due to Covid-19

(CNN)Rising cases of Covid-19 in Louisiana have led to the cancellation of the New Orleans Jazz Fest for the second year running, organizers announced Sunday.

Louisiana broke its own record for Covid-19 related hospitalizations on multiple days last week, with 2,421 individuals hospitalized with the virus on Friday. The same day it reported 6,116 new cases, according to the US Centers for Disease Control.

The annual jazz festival will not take place "as a result of the current exponential growth of new Covid cases in New Orleans and the region and the ongoing public health emergency," the festival said in a statement on its website.

Previously announced acts for this year's Jazz Fest included the Rolling Stones, which was scheduled to play the 2019 festival and had to cancel due to an illness from Mick Jagger. Other acts that were booked for the 2021 Jazz Fest included Foo Fighters, Lizzo and Dead and Company.
[www.cnn.com]

Date: August 12, 2021 07:53

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-12 17:40 by treaclefingers.

Date: August 12, 2021 13:57

Shakey Graves postponed shows scheduled for this week due to COVID-19 concerns:

Hey guys!

Look, the truth is that touring is back but it is certainly not back to normal. Playing shows makes me happier than ever before, but health concerns can not be denied.

I've chosen to postpone the next three shows in Wichita, KS (8/10), Kansas City, MO (8/11) and Oklahoma City, OK (8/12) so that our team can take a second to redesign our personal health and safety protocols and hopefully increase the safety of venue staff and especially you, the fans. On that note, please PLEASE do not come to shows if you are unvaccinated and/or feeling off. Also, wash your damn hands, and wear a mask at the show. I’m sorry about any inconvenience but we are figuring this out day by day. I hope you understand.

The August 10, 2021 show in Wichita, KS at Wave will be rescheduled to Friday, September 24, 2021
The August 11, 2021 show in Kansas City, MO at The Truman be rescheduled to Thursday, September 23, 2021
The August 12, 2021 show in Oklahoma City, OK at Tower Theatre OKC will be rescheduled to Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Your tickets will be valid for the new dates. If you are unable to make the new dates, refunds and/or more information will be available at your point of purchase.

Sg

[www.facebook.com]

Date: August 12, 2021 14:04

From Dead & Company:

We care so much about everyone involved in making this tour happen & all of you attending, so we will be requiring proof of full COVID-19 vaccination or negative test result within 48hrs of your event to attend select dates of the tour.

[twitter.com]

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: August 12, 2021 14:10

I'm seeing Dead & Co in NY next Friday. Glad to see the new protocols and I'll feel better about going.

Seeing Phish tomorrow, on the beach in Atlantic City, NJ. Not sure if I'm still going to that one. No protocols.

Date: August 12, 2021 14:51

From the Dead & Company email:

Additionally, all fans in the pit for each show will need to be fully vaccinated. Negative Testing is not an available option for pit entry.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 12, 2021 16:08

Adults are being less cautious and more kids are being admitted to hospitals with Covid-19, expert says

...the CDC projects that new hospitalizations and deaths
will likely increase over the next four weeks.

Coronavirus

America is at a vulnerable place within the battle against Covid-19 -- with many hospitals overwhelmed and a new school year already upended -- as health officials race to expand vaccine protection for those most at risk.
"Make no mistake, the FDA will move quickly on this because they recognize what's at stake. It's the health of our children, and there's really nothing more important than that," Surgeon General Dr. Vivek Murthy told CNN's Wolf Blitzer. Evaluating vaccines for children under 12 is now a top priority for the US Food and Drug Administration, Murthy said, adding that it is possible doses could become available to them by the end of 2021. And in the next 48 hours, the FDA is expected to announce it is authorizing a third vaccine dose to help some people who are immunocompromised, according to a source familiar with the discussions. For people with compromised immune systems, including some cancer patients, those taking medications that suppress the immune system and organ transplant recipients, the two doses of mRNA vaccine or single dose of Johnson & Johnson may not be enough to develop adequate antibodies, Murthy said.

More than 60% of the adults in the US are fully vaccinated, according to data from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. But an ensemble forecast published Wednesday by the CDC projects that new hospitalizations and deaths will likely increase over the next four weeks. The urgency to get more of the population protected by vaccines is only growing, said CNN Medical Analyst Dr. Leana Wen, who noted the worrying spread of the more transmissible Delta variant, adults being less cautious about protection and more children being admitted to the hospital. "We have the more contagious Delta variant, we have surges and we have so many adults letting down their guard, not wearing masks, not getting vaccinated," Wen told CNN's Wolf Blitzer on Tuesday. "That's contributing to this really dangerous environment for children."

The new school year already upended

For many students, the new school year has just begun -- and the fresh surge in cases is already causing disruptions. In Mississippi, more than 4,400 students are quarantining after being exposed to Covid-19 during the week of August 2, according to data from the state's department of health. In Lamar County, Mississippi, several schools were forced to switch to virtual learning to combat rising cases. Superintendent Steven Hampton proposed the hybrid schedule during a board meeting on Monday, saying while he believes face-to-face learning is best, a hybrid model would help avoid having all of the schools be virtual. "Face-to-face learning is the best way for our children to learn but I just don't feel like it's safe," Hampton said. In Georgia, all 14 cities within the Fulton County Schools jurisdiction are exceeding the qualifications for "High Community Spread," and the requirement to wear a mask indoors has been extended to all schools within the district effective Thursday, according to an update from the district Wednesday. In Clayton County, the Kemp Primary School confirmed that students will "operate in a virtual learning environment for the remainder of the week," due to the Covid-19 pandemic and the Glascock County Consolidated School in Gibson, Georgia, will continue virtually until at least August 20, it said.

Understaffed hospitals facing rising patient numbers

Increased protection in the community could also be important in reducing the burden on hospitals. West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice said that for the first time since February 8, there are over 100 Covid-19 patients in hospital ICUs across the state. In Oregon, Gov. Kate Brown said ICU beds are about 90% filled, with some hospitals starting their days with fewer than five available ICU beds. "Oregon hospitals are facing a crisis that threatens to eclipse the most severe bed shortages they've faced at any point in the pandemic," said Pat Allen, Director of the Oregon Health Authority. In Mississippi, the University of Mississippi Medical Center reported its highest number of Covid-19 patients ever in the pandemic while citing problems with finding nursing staff as the "biggest pain point." There are some medical, surgical and ICU beds unable to open due to low nursing staff numbers, said Dr. LouAnn Woodward, UMMC Vice Chancellor and COVID-19 Incident Commander. In Texas, Gov. Greg Abbott announced Wednesday that over 2,500 medical personnel will be deployed to hospitals around the state. "The State of Texas is taking action to ensure that our hospitals are properly staffed and supported in the fight against COVID-19," Abbott said in a statement. "Texans can help bolster the state's efforts to combat the virus by getting vaccinated. The COVID-19 vaccine is safe and effective, and it is our best defense against the virus."

Date: August 12, 2021 19:33

Date: August 12, 2021 20:02

Starting with Phish's shows at The Gorge, all ticket holders to Phish's summer and fall tourdates* must provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 or proof of a negative COVID-19 test result taken within 48 hours prior to when doors open for each show.

[twitter.com]

Date: August 12, 2021 20:05

AEG Presents to Require Proof of Vaccination for Ticketholders and Crew at All U.S. Venues

By Chris Willman
August 12,2021

In one of the strongest statements yet made by a major player in support of a pro-vaccination policy in the live music industry, AEG Presents, the second-largest live company in the country, has announced that proof of vaccination will be required going forward for ticketholders and crew at all the venues it owns or operates in the United States.

“We have come to the conclusion that, as a market leader, it was up to us to take a real stand on vaccination status,” said Jay Marciano, COO of AEG and chairman-CEO of AEG Presents, in a statement. “Just a few weeks ago, we were optimistic about where our business, and country, were heading. The Delta variant, combined with vaccine hesitancy, is pushing us in the wrong direction again. We realize that some people might look at this as a dramatic step, but it’s the right one. We also are aware that there might be some initial pushback, but I’m confident and hopeful that, at the end of the day, we will be on the right side of history and doing what’s best for artists, fans, and live event workers.”

Added Marciano, “Our hope is that our pro-active stance encourages people to do the right thing and get vaccinated,” added Marciano. “We’ve already had to deliver bad news about JazzFest this week; I think everyone can agree that we don’t want concerts to go away again, and this is the best way to keep that from happening.”

The list of affected venues includes the Roxy and El Rey in Los Angeles, Webster Hall and Brooklyn Steel in New York and the Theatre at Resorts World Las Vegas. A number of festivals also fall under the AEG aegis — many of which have already been canceled for this year — include Coachella, Firefly, Day N Vegas, the just-nixed New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival.

AEG says the policy will be in full effect by Oct. 1. Up till that date, either proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test within 72 hours will be allowable for entry. “The date was chosen specifically to allow time for any eligible unvaccinated ticketholders and staff to reach fully vaccinated status should they choose to do so,” the statement said.

“Certain states’ regulations may override our mandate,” noted Shawn Trell, COO and general counsel of AEG Presents said, “or a few artists may not want to immediately get on board with the plan, but we know that using our platform to take a strong position on vaccinations can make an impact. The message we want to send is simple and clear: the only way to be as safe as possible is to require everyone to be vaccinated. And we’re confident that others who haven’t been ready to make this full commitment yet will follow our lead.”

Live Nation, the top live music company, has a less strict policy as of now, having announced that proof of vaccination or a recent COVID test will be required for select shows, with individual artists’ discretion a factor.

[variety.com]

Posted by: jon12345 ()
Date: August 12, 2021 20:11

bye bye johnny
AEG Presents to Require Proof of Vaccination for Ticketholders and Crew at All U.S. Venues

By Chris Willman
August 12,2021

In one of the strongest statements yet made by a major player in support of a pro-vaccination policy in the live music industry, AEG Presents, the second-largest live company in the country, has announced that proof of vaccination will be required going forward for ticketholders and crew at all the venues it owns or operates in the United States.

“We have come to the conclusion that, as a market leader, it was up to us to take a real stand on vaccination status,” said Jay Marciano, COO of AEG and chairman-CEO of AEG Presents, in a statement. “Just a few weeks ago, we were optimistic about where our business, and country, were heading. The Delta variant, combined with vaccine hesitancy, is pushing us in the wrong direction again. We realize that some people might look at this as a dramatic step, but it’s the right one. We also are aware that there might be some initial pushback, but I’m confident and hopeful that, at the end of the day, we will be on the right side of history and doing what’s best for artists, fans, and live event workers.”

Added Marciano, “Our hope is that our pro-active stance encourages people to do the right thing and get vaccinated,” added Marciano. “We’ve already had to deliver bad news about JazzFest this week; I think everyone can agree that we don’t want concerts to go away again, and this is the best way to keep that from happening.”

The list of affected venues includes the Roxy and El Rey in Los Angeles, Webster Hall and Brooklyn Steel in New York and the Theatre at Resorts World Las Vegas. A number of festivals also fall under the AEG aegis — many of which have already been canceled for this year — include Coachella, Firefly, Day N Vegas, the just-nixed New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival.

AEG says the policy will be in full effect by Oct. 1. Up till that date, either proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test within 72 hours will be allowable for entry. “The date was chosen specifically to allow time for any eligible unvaccinated ticketholders and staff to reach fully vaccinated status should they choose to do so,” the statement said.

“Certain states’ regulations may override our mandate,” noted Shawn Trell, COO and general counsel of AEG Presents said, “or a few artists may not want to immediately get on board with the plan, but we know that using our platform to take a strong position on vaccinations can make an impact. The message we want to send is simple and clear: the only way to be as safe as possible is to require everyone to be vaccinated. And we’re confident that others who haven’t been ready to make this full commitment yet will follow our lead.”

Live Nation, the top live music company, has a less strict policy as of now, having announced that proof of vaccination or a recent COVID test will be required for select shows, with individual artists’ discretion a factor.

[variety.com]

Thank god, even though I'm an atheist. Not sure how many, if any, of the Stones tour venues are AEG operated, but really hoping the Stones tour goes to vaxx-only by the time it gets started. Based on COVID trends, I really don't see how they don't.

Posted by: bradleycsocal ()
Date: August 12, 2021 20:37

I thought I heard somewhere The Stones wouldn't play anywhere where there were mandates for vaccination....But I agree proof of vaccination or a negative covid test is good in lieu of cancellation.....

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1847
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home