Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re: Coronavirus disease COVID-19 and The Rolling Stones US/CA 2020 Tour
Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: March 6, 2020 22:16

Note that we have gone from a few cases and a few locations in the United States two weeks ago to a few dozen cases and a dozen or more locations today. It's a real cause for concern.

If anybody looked at that video I linked to about the Bradford City Stadium fire in 1985, there is a simple lesson to be learned. Many people just sat there when they knew the all-wood stands were on fire. They watched the game instead of leaving right away and 56 people died. It's human psychology about being behind the curve. The prudent thing to do would be to be ahead of the curve.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: March 6, 2020 22:47

Topi
In France, concerts and events with more than 5000 people before May 31 have already been postponed TBD. For example the Queen & Adam Lambert show that was scheduled for May 26:

Crapola...I was hoping to go to that sold out show...and the fact that Macca later announced a show in Paris on the very same date (at Arena-U haha!) sparked up my hopes of easily scoring a ticket due to Beatles fans selling their Queen tix...

Back to the Stones tour, I hope it's still on, virus be damned!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-06 22:52 by FrogSugar.

Date: March 6, 2020 23:25

I would imagine this virus is not helping tickets sales. Many places have lots of lower bowl sets left.

I would also wonder if it will delay the warm up band announcement?

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 7, 2020 00:10

First big US cancellation

[www.vox.com]

South by Southwest 2020 has been canceled because of coronavirus
The Austin-based event, which attracts hundreds of thousands of attendees, is the first major arts festival to be canceled due to the outbreak.

By Alissa Wilkinson and Aja Romano Mar 6, 2020, 5:04pm EST

The SXSW Conference and Festival has been canceled due to the Covid-19 coronavirus outbreak. Tim Mosenfelder/Getty Images
On Friday, March 6, Mayor Steve Adler of Austin, Texas, announced that the film, music, and interactive industry conference South by Southwest (SXSW) will be canceled due to fears about spreading the Covid-19 coronavirus.

SXSW was slated to run from March 13 through 22. The beloved convention, part tech conference, part entertainment festival, attracts hundreds of thousands of attendees each year.

“Based on the recommendation of our public health officer and our director of public health, and after our consultation with the city manager, I’ve gone ahead and declared a local disaster in the city,” Adler stated at a press conference Friday afternoon. “In association with that, I’ve issued an order that effectively cancels South by Southwest for this year.”

The executive order, issued by Travis County Judge Sarah Eckhardt, applies countywide and cancels all local public festivals and events. The order will last for seven days, with the potential to be renewed as needed. Eckhardt called it a “data-driven decision” based on the coronavirus outlook.

In the days leading up to the cancellation, more than 50,000 people had signed a Change.org petition asking the city to cancel the conference. Major media companies including Netflix, Apple, Amazon, and WarnerMedia had pulled films and planned talent appearances out of the festival. They joined a number of high-profile tech companies that had previously withdrawn from the festival, including Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, Mashable, and Intel.

Netflix had planned to screen five films (Uncorked, A Secret Love, LA Originals, Mucho Mucho Amor, and Have a Good Trip: Adventures in Psychedelics). It canceled all of those screenings, as well as a panel with Black-ish creator Kenya Barris and actor/producer Rashida Jones on their upcoming comedy series for the streaming network, #BlackExcellence.

Apple was set to premiere three AppleTV+ originals: Spike Jonze’s documentary Beastie Boys Story, an animated musical series called Central Park, and a docuseries called Homes. It also was going to screen the documentary Boys State, which it acquired at the Sundance Film Festival in January, and to host a panel on Little America with the series’ creators Kumail Nanjiani and Emily V. Gordon.

Amazon canceled screenings and panels scheduled to promote its series Upload and the sci-fi drama Tales of the Loop. WarnerMedia announced via Twitter that it was also canceling “activations” planned for the festival.

Although there are so far no confirmed cases of coronavirus in the Austin area, cases in Houston have been detected, and another Austin-based tech conference, Collision 2020, recently made the decision to postpone.

The news came shortly after the announcement that Seattle’s major comics convention, Emerald City Comic Con, scheduled to take place the same weekend as the beginning of SXSW, would be postponed until the summer. Other large upcoming events, including Coachella in California, are still on — for now.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: March 7, 2020 00:42

daspyknows
cancellation
The Austin-based event, which attracts hundreds of thousands of attendees

I keep my fingers crossed. Austin is the only show I can go to and that I have tickets, hotels and flights for.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: March 7, 2020 02:11

Hmm the SXSW conference and festival was cancelled on relatively short notice.
It was due to begin a week from now. Sounds like the city, in this case being
Austin, must declare a disaster or “state of emergency” prior to the cancellation.
From what I read, from others who have posted above, this procedure is important
for insurance reasons. In terms of the Stones concerts across the country this may
indicate that any postponements or cancellations would be up to each city and
possibly not giving more than a week for notice.

If this is the case than it’s not good news for those of us traveling to several
shows. Hotel reservations can be cancelled. However air reservations usually can not be cancelled, without a fee, unless you purchase cancellation insurance.

Posted by: OneHourPhoto ()
Date: March 7, 2020 02:26

swimtothemoon
Austin, must declare a disaster or “state of emergency” prior to the cancellation.
From what I read, from others who have posted above, this procedure is important
for insurance reasons. In terms of the Stones concerts across the country this may

If this is the case than it’s not good news for those of us traveling to several
shows. Hotel reservations can be cancelled. However air reservations usually can not be cancelled, without a fee, unless you purchase cancellation insurance.

Apples vs Anvils

SXSW is a 2 week event attracting 400,000 people from all over the world which brings in 400million dollars with multiple events each day all over Austin

A single concert is the tinest of a tiny blip on the radar attended by 90%-95% locals that will sleeping in their own bed after the show. With minimal impact. A city is not going to care to declare a State of Emergency in order to cancel a concert.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-07 02:32 by OneHourPhoto.

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: March 7, 2020 02:29

Sorry, if that's been posted before..

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: March 7, 2020 02:57

I'd say with the South by Southwest cancellation today, the chances of Stones American shows being postponed or cancelled are somewhat higher. It may still only be a small chance, but things certainly seem to be trending in a negative direction.

Most of the cancellations that I see from the link below seem to be mainly connected to Asian performers and/or shows in Asia. It might be worth keeping an eye our for any other announced tours of America being cancelled or postponed. So far, I know of none.

Vulture.com - All the Concerts, Festivals, and Productions Affected by Coronavirus

As of Friday March 6th, 2020

CONCERTS
Mariah Carey
Khalid
BTS
Stormzy
Green Day
Avril Lavigne
Louis Tomlinson

FESTIVALS AND CONFERENCES
South By Southwest
Facebook F8 Developers Conference
Seattle’s Emerald City Comic Con
Game Developers Conference
The London Book Fair
Ultra Music Festival
Tomorrowland Music Festival
Livre Paris Book Fair
Korea Times Music Festival

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 7, 2020 04:46

OneHourPhoto
Apples vs Anvils

SXSW is a 2 week event attracting 400,000 people from all over the world which brings in 400million dollars with multiple events each day all over Austin

A single concert is the tinest of a tiny blip on the radar attended by 90%-95% locals that will sleeping in their own bed after the show. With minimal impact. A city is not going to care to declare a State of Emergency in order to cancel a concert.
Hope you're right but would feel more confident if the tour started in July tbh.

If a city or State has already declared a State of Emergency, such as Washington . California and Maryland have, then cancelling a large event, even one where most sleep in their own beds, is not as tiny a blip as you think imo. A food handler infected with the virus and finding out after for example would trigger thousands of tests etc. Hoping for the best of course, but these shows aren't the tiniest of tiny blips.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: March 7, 2020 05:10

OneHourPhoto

We're not talking single concerts, though. The Stones aren't the only band touring this summer. Justin Bieber and Kenny Chesney begin stadium tours about the same time, visiting the same venues. Then you've got a Pearl Jam tour beginning next week ...

Posted by: Amy340 ()
Date: March 7, 2020 05:39

DeanGoodman
OneHourPhoto

We're not talking single concerts, though. The Stones aren't the only band touring this summer. Justin Bieber and Kenny Chesney begin stadium tours about the same time, visiting the same venues. Then you've got a Pearl Jam tour beginning next week ...

As well as many others, who will be in stadiums, arenas etc... all summer long. There's acts touring arenas right now. Then there's the sporting events that are or will be filling arenas and stadiums like basketball, hockey, baseball.

Posted by: artedm ()
Date: March 7, 2020 05:41

Justin Bieber just downgraded his stadium shows into arenas due to “unforeseen circumstances” (which is a decades-old industry term for “not selling”)

Posted by: artedm ()
Date: March 7, 2020 05:43

On SXSW festival
worth highlighting the local mayor and officials forced the cancel.

Date: March 7, 2020 05:49

artedm
Justin Bieber just downgraded his stadium shows into arenas due to “unforeseen circumstances” (which is a decades-old industry term for “not selling”)

I knew I could count on a Stones site to give me my Bieber fix. Seems he downgraded some shows, not all. Hard to see him filling remaining stadiums like Levi Strauss, Soldier Field or the Rose Bowl. CV would be a perfect excuse to continue downscaling or canceling.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: March 7, 2020 09:55

MisterDDDD
OneHourPhoto
Apples vs Anvils

Hope you're right but would feel more confident if the tour started in July tbh.

If a city or State has already declared a State of Emergency, such as Washington . California and Maryland have, then cancelling a large event, even one where most sleep in their own beds, is not as tiny a blip as you think imo. A food handler infected with the virus and finding out after for example would trigger thousands of tests etc. Hoping for the best of course, but these shows aren't the tiniest of tiny blips.

Yes, if a state of emergency for a state or area were to be declared
then I assume all events with attendence above the threshold - concerts, sporting events, etc. would be cancelled. Seems one area, maybe Austin, cancelled any events with expected attendance of greater than 5,000 people. This than excludes smaller venues such as clubs and theaters.

So let’s hope the outlook gets better and not worse.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 7, 2020 10:46

MisterDDDD
OneHourPhoto
Apples vs Anvils

It's been reported that a food vendor for Century Link Field in Seattle worked a XFL game late February. Seattle Theater Group (has 3 concert venues) is offering full refunds even if shows are not cancelled to those who want or need them. Whew! I had tickets to Wilco & can't go due to being high risk. Thought I was going to have to eat the tickets. While not at Stones levels, they weren't exactly cheap. Right now looks like I'm stuck for a pair of Drive-by Truckers tickets (I think they might cancel though). Luckily those weren't expensive. Bums me out some as those are 2 of my favorite bands. Can't be helped though.

Posted by: RG ()
Date: March 7, 2020 11:19

Tour starts in 9 weeks.. keep calm, everyone. By that time the temperature is getting better and this virus will be in control.

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: March 7, 2020 12:34

RG, You are very optimistic. Every day here in Belgium the virus on people goes in double! And this virus will not under control in a few weeks worldwide.

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: March 7, 2020 12:34

. Thesame post twice, sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-07 12:36 by tioms.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 7, 2020 13:51

The University of Washington has cancelled on site classes & is doing everything online. This is a huge school & I believe other universities in the area are doing the same.

Posted by: curt ()
Date: March 7, 2020 14:12

There are good current statistics here updated daily.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-07 14:13 by curt.

Date: March 7, 2020 15:41

DeanGoodman
OneHourPhoto

These are still just singular events in places that are hundreds, if not thousands of miles from each other all across the country

the events as they relate to COVID-19 in one state is not going to have any bearing on the events in another.

My take on the response that I replied to was that some declaration of a "state" of emergency will allow people to recover monies spent on a Stones concert.

That is not going to happen

Several states and/or municipalities have already declared some variation of a State of Emergencys, The primary reason is that it expedites the release of resources needed. But events go on all day, schools are open, mail is delivered, etc

Besides being the right thing to do, the SWSX promoters placed a tremendous amount of pressure on local officials to cancel the events as it is such a mammoth event with people coming from all over the world and people/companies spending hundreds of millions of dollars in the local economy. It was for hopes of financial recovery from the official cancellation and for future goodwill PR.

A Stones show adds little to barely nothing to local economy, so no one is going to pressure anyone to cancel/postpone anything.

A cancelled show in Seattle mean nothing to shows in Buffalo, Atlanta Tampa or wherever, Stones would cancel their tour on their terms and the only ones to benefit financially would be them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-07 15:48 by OneHourPhoto.

Date: March 7, 2020 18:22

OneHourPhoto
Besides being the right thing to do, the SWSX promoters placed a tremendous amount of pressure on local officials to cancel the events as it is such a mammoth event with people coming from all over the world and people/companies spending hundreds of millions of dollars in the local economy. It was for hopes of financial recovery from the official cancellation and for future goodwill PR.

Yeah, not sure about "putting pressure." The promoters' hands are tied. They cannot cancel until there's an official directive from the authorities, e.g. a state of emergency. That's because their insurance does not cover pandemics. So their only option is to wait to be shut down by the authorities. This triggers the force majeure clause in their insurance, which covers their contracts with artists.

This will be template going forward. So with regard to the Stones and all other artists and events, you can assume the promoters have no choice but to proceed as usual UNLESS the mayor/sheriff/governor, etc. decrees otherwise. (Which will probably be the case.) Unfortunately these could be quite last-minute decisions, and obviously on a case-by-case basis, which would throw a huge spanner into the whole tour budget - for the Stones and for us.

Date: March 7, 2020 18:56

DeanGoodman
OneHourPhoto

Yeah, not sure about "putting pressure." The promoters' hands are tied. They cannot cancel until there's an official directive from the authorities, e.g. a state of emergency. That's because their insurance does not cover pandemics. So their only option is to wait to be shut down by the authorities. This triggers the force majeure clause in their insurance, which covers their contracts with artists.

This will be template going forward. So with regard to the Stones and all other artists and events, you can assume the promoters have no choice but to proceed as usual UNLESS the mayor/sheriff/governor, etc. decrees otherwise. (Which will probably be the case.) Unfortunately these could be quite last-minute decisions, and obviously on a case-by-case basis, which would throw a huge spanner into the whole tour budget - for the Stones and for us.

Definitely a lot riding on the local officials..
Wondering if it's likely, as I mentioned earlier, to still have a tour where a couple shows had to be cancelled? If the show here in the NW was scheduled for Seattle this year instead of Van.,
it would likely be called off. Austin also has the real potential now of being called off etc., where many cities would go ahead-a lot of revenue for the city etc. Also wonder if they had to postpone a couple, would they replace?? Curious as well to what the The Rolling Stones thoughts are on it.. particularly their personal safety concerns if any about traveling around etc.
I don't have any concerns (yet), and will be at every show I can, but understand those that do.

Date: March 7, 2020 19:14

OneHourPhoto
swimtothemoon

Apples vs Anvils

Really? SF mayor calling for that right now.

Date: March 7, 2020 19:16

MisterDDDD
OneHourPhoto
Apples vs Anvils

That's exactly what happened with a vendor at the Sea XFL game. Still a ow risk but thats what is happening.

Date: March 7, 2020 19:27

daspyknows
That's exactly what happened with a vendor at the Sea XFL game. Still a ow risk but thats what is happening.

Yup, and right now there is serious consideration being given to the Mariners not playing home games to start the season. NBA has sent out a memo for teams to prepare for the possibility of playing games with no fans in attendance.

Date: March 7, 2020 19:37

DeanGoodman
OneHourPhoto

Well aware of the clause and above is exactly to the comment I made to what I was told from people close to SWSX

Date: March 7, 2020 19:45

daspyknows
OneHourPhoto
swimtothemoon

Apples vs Anvils

Really? SF mayor calling for that right now.
Calling for what?

SF declared a State of Emergency over a week ago and the Warriors has played home in front of a crowd and will do so again in a few hours.

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2012
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home