Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7576777879808182838485...LastNext
Current Page: 80 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 31, 2020 05:21

CDC considering recommending general public wear face coverings in public

"In recent days, more people have taken to covering their faces, although it remains a scattershot strategy driven by personal choice. The government does not recommend it.
That may change. Officials at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are considering altering the official guidance to encourage people to take measures to cover their faces amid the coronavirus pandemic, The Washington Post has learned."

"In recent days, an assortment of scientists, health experts, pundits and influencers has vigorously advanced their position that everyone venturing into public or crowded places should wear a mask or face shield — even a homemade one — to lower the rate of transmission of covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus."

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Date: March 31, 2020 05:54

Hospitalizations for novel coronavirus-like illness declined last week in Washington, offering a glimmer of hope

"Hospitalizations for patients with symptoms of COVID-19-like illnesses in Washington declined last week by more than 20%, a hopeful sign for the region and a nation gripped by the coronavirus pandemic.
The downturn in hospitalizations in Washington, once the epicenter of the U.S. coronavirus epidemic, comes as increasingly dire scenes unfold in other states — including New York, where some 9,500 people have been hospitalized and beleaguered doctors and nurses contend with a rapidly rising caseload of desperately sick patients.

[www.seattletimes.com]

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: March 31, 2020 05:56

MisterDDDD
CDC considering recommending general public wear face coverings in public

"In recent days, more people have taken to covering their faces, although it remains a scattershot strategy driven by personal choice. The government does not recommend it.
That may change. Officials at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are considering altering the official guidance to encourage people to take measures to cover their faces amid the coronavirus pandemic, The Washington Post has learned."

"In recent days, an assortment of scientists, health experts, pundits and influencers has vigorously advanced their position that everyone venturing into public or crowded places should wear a mask or face shield — even a homemade one — to lower the rate of transmission of covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus."

[www.washingtonpost.com]

It's so pathetic that you want to smack the CDC apparatchik and any government apparatchik upside the head. The Anti-Common-Sense League in action.

In 20 year's time we will look back upon this era and collectively shake our heads.

Date: March 31, 2020 06:42

MileHigh

It's so pathetic that you want to smack the CDC apparatchik and any government apparatchik upside the head. The Anti-Common-Sense League in action.

In 20 year's time we will look back upon this era and collectively shake our heads.

Not a clue what you're referring to, but if you think I want to smack anything upside the head, you couldn't be more mistaken.
Article I posted is from The Washington Post with actual sources reporting that the CDC is seriously considering revising their mask recommendations.

Important stuff to pay attention to is all.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 31, 2020 10:00

The Washington State hospitalization numbers going down from high 251 into 193 are great news. That is 58 hospital beds made available, down 23%. Is there a lockdown in Seattle now, or the entire state? For how long?

Bjornulf

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 31, 2020 11:45

bv
The Washington State hospitalization numbers going down from high 251 into 193 are great news. That is 58 hospital beds made available, down 23%. Is there a lockdown in Seattle now, or the entire state? For how long?

It is more a shelter in place order for the entire state, in place until the end of April. Most likely that is going to be extended. Yesterday, school districts were mandated to start having school sessions online or an alternative for those who do not have the capability to get online. Basically, all unnecessary businesses are ordered closed. You can still get food & medicine, other necessities. The order was to give teeth to social distancing order. People were ignoring it & gathering at places like parks & beaches like nothing was happening. I could be wrong about the dates but I believe it will end up being until the end of April regardless. For instance, Boeing is still saying they are going to start production lines in 2 weeks but that could change. & they are going to be making face shields for the medical people. It is helping but there is still a big problem as evidenced by the chart below. We will have the dubious honor of passing 5000 cases today in the state.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 31, 2020 11:53

Correction: the stay at home order was initially for 2 weeks. It is likely to be extended though per report on link below. Report is from 1 of the main Seattle tv station news. Apologies for bad info above.

[komonews.com]

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: March 31, 2020 12:41

The Lancet published a study estimating the fatality ratio at 0,66 percent of those infected

[www.thelancet.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-31 16:10 by Topi.

Date: March 31, 2020 12:43

In Finland, the lockdown measures have been extended by a month, up until mid-May at this point.

Restaurants and bars are closed until the end of May, but they are allowed to serve take-out and delivery food.

The province of Uusimaa including the Helsinki capital region closed its borders, the big idea is to contain the virus here where the most ICU beds are anyway and where the highest number of cases have been reported.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 31, 2020 13:07

Damning insight from a former Conservative MP (who’s also a medical doctor) about the opportunities missed by the UK government to prepare for handling a pandemic:

[threadreaderapp.com]

Posted by: curt ()
Date: March 31, 2020 13:28

As of 17 hours ago in the US

Some state orders are more stringent than others, and there is a wide variance of compliance.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 31, 2020 13:33

Topi
In Finland, the lockdown measures have been extended by a month, up until mid-May at this point.

Restaurants and bars are closed until the end of May, but they are allowed to serve take-out and delivery food.

The province of Uusimaa including the Helsinki capital region closed its borders, the big idea is to contain the virus here where the most ICU beds are anyway and where the highest number of cases have been reported.

A neighbour of ours reports from his son and family who live in Sweden that the Government there have not taken the measures, as described above. They have public support (for now). In time, we might see 'who got it right' but there will be so many caveats that this will be difficult to prove (which wont stop people trying of course).

Date: March 31, 2020 13:53

Yes, Sweden is taking an entirely different approach.

Posted by: curt ()
Date: March 31, 2020 14:20

This graphic addresses the matter of wearing masks

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: March 31, 2020 14:57

MisterDDDD
MileHigh

Not a clue what you're referring to, but if you think I want to smack anything upside the head, you couldn't be more mistaken.
Article I posted is from The Washington Post with actual sources reporting that the CDC is seriously considering revising their mask recommendations.

Important stuff to pay attention to is all.

You don't need a CDC apparatchik to mull over whether you should wear a mask or not. It's self-evident that you should. The message is to pay attention to your own instincts and common sense and do your own due diligence research. When people openly tell you to do things that are bad for you like it's some twisted Bizarro World you are living in you need to filter out the crap. For me it's almost unbelievable that medical professionals are advising people to do things that could promote ill health.

Date: March 31, 2020 15:23

Topi
The Lancet published a study estimating the fatality ratio at 0,66 of those infected

[www.thelancet.com]

From Wikipedia:
The Lancet is among the world's oldest, most prestigious, and best known general medical journals.

Key numbers:

- Mean time from onset to death : 19 days
- Fatality rate age 80-> : 15%
- Fatality rate age 70-79 : 8%
- Fatality rate age 60-69 : 3.6%
- Fatality rate age 50-59 : 1.3%

Comment:

The fatality rate will vary from country to country, based on the general health in the population, how well the elderly are protected, and what the age distribution is in the population. The general fatality rate of the coronavirus is estimated at approx 0.7% i.e. more fatal than the annual flu.

Bjornulf

Date: March 31, 2020 16:11

Oh yeah - I forgot a small detail there, 0,66 percent instead of 0,66!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 31, 2020 17:03

bv
VoodooLounge13
For me, personally, I am taking this time to learn about and invest in the stock market here in the US. Something I've been meaning to get back into for several years now, and this downturn has been the key trigger for me.

At one point in time this spring/summer the stock market will be at the very bottom. If you get the right stocks then, you are in for some great winning.

I am hoping so, BV. I really am!!

Date: March 31, 2020 17:10

My wish for the summer is that mid May start with a heat wave like we had in 2018. I want the virus to burn in hell, as the hotter it is, the faster the virus dies on any surfaces. If we could have two months of +30 C i.e. 90 F, then may be the grass would be brown and dry, but many lives might be saved.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: March 31, 2020 17:26

Here in the U.K. at 2pm every day they release the daily numbers of deaths and unfortunately today’s number is a big jump from previous figures.
393 is today’s number.

Nate

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 31, 2020 18:18

Yes, and that's a very steep slope. Unfortunately that was to be expected with the late decision on "closing shop" compared to other countries. A hard decision of course...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: March 31, 2020 19:14

New York governor Andrew Cuomo what a great speaker I like him, I like him a lot

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Date: March 31, 2020 19:25

colonial
New York governor Andrew Cuomo what a great speaker I like him, I like him a lot

Same.
His brother Chris (CNN anchor), has tested positive he announced today.
Gov Cuomo talking about it today was pretty touching.
[twitter.com]

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 31, 2020 19:25

bv
My wish for the summer is that mid May start with a heat wave like we had in 2018. I want the virus to burn in hell, as the hotter it is, the faster the virus dies on any surfaces. If we could have two months of +30 C i.e. 90 F, then may be the grass would be brown and dry, but many lives might be saved.

With all respect: Heat waves kill thousands of people each year. Covid 19 has to be taken seriously, but it is not the only illness to deal with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-31 20:11 by windmelody.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: March 31, 2020 19:33

MisterDDDD
colonial

Same.
[twitter.com]

MisterDDDD..Andrew Cuomo would be a great American president

Date: March 31, 2020 19:49

colonial
MisterDDDD
colonial

Same.
[twitter.com]

I have to change the channel whenever he comes on....can't stand to watch him talk at all.

Date: March 31, 2020 19:55

Testing coronavirus survivors’ blood could help reopen America
Serology tests for antibodies could show how complete and lasting immunity will be

"The theory is that such testing could be used to divide the world into people who’ve had it and aren’t at risk anymore — and those who are. Health care workers with immunity could return to the front lines. Large employers could test their employees and find out who could return to work first. Health insurers might use the tests to tell members if it is risky to go out into the world. People who know they have a level of immunity could volunteer to help others. In the Ebola outbreak in Congo, survivors played a special role in providing care — and much-needed human contact — to people who were sick."
[www.washingtonpost.com]

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 31, 2020 20:09

colonial
MisterDDDD
colonial

Same.
[twitter.com]

I'm not a big fan of his, but I have to admit he has really handled the whole virus thing extremely well and admirably. I prefer to watch his news briefings to those of the actual news outlets or our current President. My wife and I live in Southwest Connecticut, which is the epicenter of the state for this, and we are right on the border of the 2 worst hit towns. She is a Type-1 diabetic, so she is automatically comprised and vulnerable. We have been staying in and limiting our outside world as best as possible - watching a lot of movies, and walking our dogs. We live up on a hill in a Condo community, and thankfully, there are not a lot of people around us. We moved up here from Long Island last year, and I cannot imagine still living down in NY with all of this going on.

Date: March 31, 2020 20:45

I watched NY Gov Cuomo at the press conference from Albany NY today. He said NY state had ordered 17,000 ventilators at $25,000 each from China, but he will get just 2,500. He is competing with all of the other 49 states plus the federal, he said.

Then the US President said on Sunday he had instructed GM to manufacture hundreds of thousands of ventilators. So why does both the fed and the separate states compete on buying ventilators from China?

NEW YORK GOVERNOR CUOMO SAYS HAS ORDERED 17,000 VENTILATORS FROM CHINA, AT A PRICE OF ABOUT $25,000 EACH

Bjornulf

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 31, 2020 20:57

jumpontopofmebaby
colonial
MisterDDDD
colonial

Same.
[twitter.com]

I have to change the channel whenever he comes on....can't stand to watch him talk at all.

You should tough it out. He's really good. Calm Cool & Collected (So totally BtBs)...and credible.

He seems to have emerged as the defacto leader that people most trust in the US, at least from my perspective...him and Fauci.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7576777879808182838485...LastNext
Current Page: 80 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2108
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home