Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7071727374757677787980...LastNext
Current Page: 75 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: Marmalade ()
Date: March 27, 2020 19:06

SomeTorontoGirl
Marmalade
Thanks for that, STG!

You’re welcome Lady Marmalade! Where in the world are you these days? Hope you’re safe and healthy.

Thanks, STG. I'm ok. Spent the winter in Western Australia, came back early because of this virus thing. Hope you're safe and healthy too.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 27, 2020 19:10

bv
MisterDDDD
‘I’m shaking hands continuously. I was at a hospital the other night where there were actually some covid patients and I shook hands with everybody. People can make up their own mind but I think it’s very important to keep shaking hands." – Boris Johnson
[twitter.com]

Is Boris just stupid, or is he simply following the path where UK is getting full immunity fast, and 240,000 deaths? Shaking hands is like swimming with 10 feet long sharks. Unless you are suicidal, you don't do that.

*US political comment self edited* winking smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 27, 2020 19:34

Wow, the new numbers for Italy are even more disastrous than yesterday, and they've been confined since March 10th, WTF !!!

Last 7 days : New Cases/New Deaths
6557 5560 4789 5249 5210 6203 9139
793 651 601 743 683 712 919

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 27, 2020 20:14

bv
MisterDDDD
‘I’m shaking hands continuously. I was at a hospital the other night where there were actually some covid patients and I shook hands with everybody. People can make up their own mind but I think it’s very important to keep shaking hands." – Boris Johnson
[twitter.com]

Is Boris just stupid, or is he simply following the path where UK is getting full immunity fast, and 240,000 deaths? Shaking hands is like swimming with 10 feet long sharks. Unless you are suicidal, you don't do that.

PM Johnson is most probably not stupid, but he most certainly is a passionate gambler.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 27, 2020 20:23

Norway and Spain will be the first two countries in the world to start the large international WHO project in testing drugs for coronavirus treatment. Norway will start the tests within 24 hours at 22 hospitals.

The first two drugs in the test will be Plaquenil a.k.a. Hydroxychloroquine, a Malaria drug, and the Ebola drug Remdesivir. As a start, 1/3 of the patients will get each of these two drugs.

WHO to launch multinational trial to jumpstart search for coronavirus drugs

The World Health Organization said Wednesday that it would launch a multiarm, multicountry clinical trial for potential coronavirus therapies, part of an aggressive effort to jumpstart the global search for drugs to treat Covid-19.

The study, which Tedros said he hopes other countries will join, has been named the SOLIDARITY trial. Countries that have already signed on are: Argentina, Bahrain, Canada, France, Iran, Norway, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland, and Thailand.

The drugs to be tested are the antiviral drug remdesivir; a combination of two HIV drugs, lopinavir and ritonavir; lopinavir and ritonavir plus interferon beta; and the antimalarial drug chloroquine. All show some evidence of effectiveness against the SARS-CoV 2 virus, which causes Covid-19, either in vitro and/or animal studies.

Bjornulf

Date: March 27, 2020 20:27

I just do not understand why people do still shake hands. It is a bit like the bad habit in Africa, where the relatives kiss the dead, even if they die from Ebola. You pick up the virus, and you pass it on. It is like playing Russian roulette, but you point the gun to the heads of other people.

Bjornulf

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 27, 2020 20:27

MisterDDDD
Where coronavirus outbreak started in Washington state, officials see hope as cases appear to be leveling off

“We don’t know if this last two weeks has been a calm before the storm or if the social distancing and all those things that are being practiced are working,” said EvergreenHealth CEO Jeff Tomlin, whose hospital has handled 40 of Washington state’s more than 130 virus-related deaths. He said the hospital is no longer overwhelmed, though it still lacks needed supplies."
[www.washingtonpost.com]

"We are nowhere near declaring victory.
Stay home. Stay healthy." - Gov. Inslee
[twitter.com]

Does anyone else find it odd that it's commonly referred to as Washington state and not just... Washington?

There's another one that's funny - upstate New York. I know Manhattan is awesome but it's at the bottom of the state and not everyone lives there so... no one says 'I'm going downstate' in Illinois because of Chicago.

New Orleans is about to melt. Still has 2 dead bodies hanging over Canal street.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 27, 2020 20:35

GasLightStreet
Does anyone else find it odd that it's commonly referred to as Washington state and not just... Washington?

There's another one that's funny - upstate New York. I know Manhattan is awesome but it's at the bottom of the state and not everyone lives there so... no one says 'I'm going downstate' in Illinois because of Chicago.

New Orleans is about to melt. Still has 2 dead bodies hanging over Canal street.

Depends on context of course, but the majority of people think you're referring to Washington DC, if you don't specify state.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: March 27, 2020 20:41

gotdablouse
Wow, the new numbers for Italy are even more disastrous than yesterday, and they've been confined since March 10th, WTF !!!

And in New York City it's just beginning - more than 500 died. I'm afraid it will be getting much worse.

Date: March 27, 2020 20:43

gotdablouse

969 deaths (so far) today sad smiley

Date: March 27, 2020 20:54

The numbers in Italy are terrible, because there is a person behind every single death. Still, the percent is going down, so in 2-3 weeks from now, I think Italy, with the proper measures they do now, will experience a curve going more flat. These are the percent increase numbers from the past few days in Italy; one week go it was 18% to 20%, now it is soon below 10%:

Fri 27-mar = 9134 => +11% (+969)
Thu 26-mar = 8215 => + 9% (+712)
wed 25-mar = 7503 => +10% (+683)
Tue 24-mar = 6820 => +12% (+743)
Mon 23-mar = 6078 => +11% (+602)
Sun 22-mar = 5476 => +13% (+651)
Sat 21-mar = 4825 => +20% (+793)
Fri 20-mar = 4032 => +18% (+627)

As compared, this is the percent increase of deaths in USA lately:

usa
26-mar : 1295 - +26%
25-mar : 1027 - +31%
24-mar : 780 - +41%
23-mar : 555 - +34%
22-mar : 414 - +38%

I hope the fall from 31% into 26% is a trend to be followed, but we have to see on the week-by-week basis to have significant numbers, as these numbers vary a lot day by day.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 27, 2020 21:14

bv
MisterDDDD
[twitter.com]

Only one week ago, Boris was blithely pronouncing in his daily press briefing that the UK would “send coronavirus packing” in 12 weeks as long as strict social distancing rules were observed. It seems he didn’t follow his own advice and will be eating his words. Still, he’s now had a get-well call from Donald, which has no doubt given him succour grinning smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 27, 2020 22:30

Boris is most certainly not stupid or unintelligent. He’s probably one of the most articulate and intellectual Prime Minister’s this nation has seen post-Winston Churchill. Thatcher had the prowess; Johnson is credible, too. There is joviality and silliness, but it’s his charm. I’d certainly rather he than some limp-wristed, woke hypocrite like Justin Trudea.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 27, 2020 22:31

Marmalade
SomeTorontoGirl
Marmalade
Thanks for that, STG!

You’re welcome Lady Marmalade! Where in the world are you these days? Hope you’re safe and healthy.

Thanks, STG. I'm ok. Spent the winter in Western Australia, came back early because of this virus thing. Hope you're safe and healthy too.

All good here. Went for a walk in High Park to get some air, lots of room for distancing. Otherwise hunkering down.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 27, 2020 22:42

bv
The numbers in Italy are terrible, because there is a person behind every single death. Still, the percent is going down, so in 2-3 weeks from now, I think Italy, with the proper measures they do now, will experience a curve going more flat. These are the percent increase numbers from the past few days in Italy; one week go it was 18% to 20%, now it is soon below 10%:

Fri 27-mar = 9134 => +11% (+969)
Thu 26-mar = 8215 => + 9% (+712)
wed 25-mar = 7503 => +10% (+683)
Tue 24-mar = 6820 => +12% (+743)
Mon 23-mar = 6078 => +11% (+602)
Sun 22-mar = 5476 => +13% (+651)
Sat 21-mar = 4825 => +20% (+793)
Fri 20-mar = 4032 => +18% (+627)

As compared, this is the percent increase of deaths in USA lately:

usa
26-mar : 1295 - +26%
25-mar : 1027 - +31%
24-mar : 780 - +41%
23-mar : 555 - +34%
22-mar : 414 - +38%

I hope the fall from 31% into 26% is a trend to be followed, but we have to see on the week-by-week basis to have significant numbers, as these numbers vary a lot day by day.

I know why you're looking at percentages but near to 1000 deaths (not sure where you guys are getting 969, they have 919 here [www.worldometers.info] - it could be a typo of course) each day, even if it represents a smaller percentage each day that passes "by design", is still very worrying in the short to mid term. The actual numbers must start going down quickly now or the "morale" is going to keep getting worse. The only "good" number for Italy is that "critical cases" (in ICU I presume) is stable at 3732 vs 3612 but that could also mean they're more or less maxed out at that level.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: March 27, 2020 22:52

Big Al
Boris is most certainly not stupid or unintelligent. He’s probably one of the most articulate and intellectual Prime Minister’s this nation has seen post-Winston Churchill. Thatcher had the prowess; Johnson is credible, too. There is joviality and silliness, but it’s his charm. I’d certainly rather he than some limp-wristed, woke hypocrite like Justin Trudea.

I'm from Canada and agree with you whole-heartedly...

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 27, 2020 23:16

MisterDDDD
GasLightStreet

Depends on context of course, but the majority of people think you're referring to Washington DC, if you don't specify state.

And if you just say New York, people think you're referring to New York City, not the state as a whole.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: March 27, 2020 23:19

umakmehrd
Big Al

Please stop the politics, especially from the Daily Mail fan club.
They will all be judged after this is over.

sc uk

Date: March 27, 2020 23:22

straycatuk

sc uk

I wouldn’t ripe my arse with the Daily Mail.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 27, 2020 23:26

Big Al
straycatuk

sc uk

You might have to, if there continues to be a run on toilet rolls + all that's left is the newspaper to use.
Used to happen, believe me.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: March 27, 2020 23:27

That's funny...

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: March 27, 2020 23:39

bv
MisterDDDD
[twitter.com]

BV, that a very hard question to answer. Had you posed this on March 15th I'd have said that he was irretrievably stupid and arrogant. But....

Readers may recall that on March 16th Imperial College in London published a (proper) academic research paper that showed that if Boris' then policy continued, and everything went well, there would be 250,000 deaths in the UK (and 1.1million in the USA).

I know that research was presented to him. And, as I have written previously, it made him change his policy from one of 'management' to one of 'supression' (if you've read the paper you'll know the difference).

And that's what directly led to the policy of Lockdown in the UK.

I had hoped that his (I have to say) commendable adoption of a research led policy, may have been the start of him being more statesman like and turning in to a real leader.

But, to read his quote about shaking hands simply dismays me.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: March 27, 2020 23:46

Big Al

You mention Mrs T.

I went to a meeting one day with someone who had spent the bulk of the previous day in the Cabinet Room in No10 in a meeting with Mrs T. He loathed her with a venom that is hard to describe, but he related this tale that reminds us all to know your enemies.

Prior to the meeting a huge amount of briefing papers had been circulated to those attending. He described a thick ring binder several inches high.

During the discussions and arguments Mrs T's binder sat on the table in front of her, unopened, yet she was frequently extensively quoting from the contents!

Clearly an impressive talent whatever your (and my) views of her.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: March 27, 2020 23:49

Big Al
straycatuk

sc uk

My parents would not let the Daily Mail into the house as a result of its pre-WW2 support for certain people.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 28, 2020 00:03

straycatuk
umakmehrd
Big Al

sc uk

here here...stop the politics.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 28, 2020 00:11

Herald Sun -- 28 march 2020

ROCKMAN

Date: March 28, 2020 00:17

Great post, CaptainCorella.

My initial posting was more of a response to any unnecessary and unhelpful posting. Johnson can be an arse, but can’t we all? I’d rather he than what’s on offer in North America; U.S.A. and Canada.

Posted by: Sici ()
Date: March 28, 2020 00:22

bv
The numbers in Italy are terrible, because there is a person behind every single death.

BV,
I don't think all these reported dead are because of the virus.
It is difficult at this moment to understand if you die of viruses or pre-existing complications.
They do not perform autopsies in the hospital, free beds are needed and the dead are immediately taken away and most cremated.
Sici

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 28, 2020 00:26

bv
I just do not understand why people do still shake hands. It is a bit like the bad habit in Africa, where the relatives kiss the dead, even if they die from Ebola. You pick up the virus, and you pass it on. It is like playing Russian roulette, but you point the gun to the heads of other people.

Depends perhaps a lot on how the contagiousness is (or was) communicated in different countries (media, etc.) and what protection measures are common also independently of Corona.

Over here, it is a common thing not to shake people's hands in winter, or to warn people not to come too close because one has a cold, etc. Round the beginning of Febuary, there quickly spread a custom of not shaking hands but "bumping" feet or elbows instead as a safety measure because everybody was aware (and constantly made aware) that Corona would make it over the Alps sooner or later after the first cases occurred in Italy. Some people also also switched to greeting Indian Namaste-style (folded hands) without touching the other person anywhere at all.

Also, we have media reports here since early February that the incubation period can last up to 27 days, i.e. much longer than the average 14 days, which means that even if you have been quarantined for 14 days and stay symptom-free, you might still be infected and contagious): [www.deutsche-apotheker-zeitung.de], [www.krone.at], [www.wienerzeitung.at]

Posted by: Sici ()
Date: March 28, 2020 00:28

bv
Norway and Spain will be the first two countries in the world to start the large international WHO project in testing drugs for coronavirus treatment. Norway will start the tests within 24 hours at 22 hospitals.

This is very great news!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7071727374757677787980...LastNext
Current Page: 75 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1985
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home