Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...291292293294295296297298299300301...LastNext
Current Page: 296 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 9, 2021 17:46

treaclefingers
Rockman

THE AUSTRALIAN --- 9 August 2021

Good lord...just read the last bit of the article. Forgot the the Winter Olympics is just around the corner.

Will see where we are in 6 months, but almost can't see that happening on schedule at this point.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 9, 2021 23:12

Unfortunately there has been a confirmed COVID case within the Counting Crows touring party. Out of an abundance of caution, we are postponing tonight’s show in Boston, as well as the Aug 10 show in Youngstown, OH. We’re working quickly to find new dates for these shows.

[twitter.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 9, 2021 23:16

bye bye johnny
Unfortunately there has been a confirmed COVID case within the Counting Crows touring party. Out of an abundance of caution, we are postponing tonight’s show in Boston, as well as the Aug 10 show in Youngstown, OH. We’re working quickly to find new dates for these shows.

[twitter.com]

yeah it's all but a given these early dates for shows are in peril. The interesting thing will be how that plays out for fall.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 10, 2021 00:14

Eagles adopt the "Pass Sanitaire" ;-)
[www.rollingstone.com]

"The November 5th show at Seattle’s Climate Pledge Arena requires that guests be fully vaccinated 14 days prior to the show, while children under 12 years old may show proof of vaccination or a negative Covid-19 test. Tickets go on sale Friday at 1 pm E.T."

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: August 10, 2021 00:29

gotdablouse
[www.rollingstone.com]

"The November 5th show at Seattle’s Climate Pledge Arena requires that guests be fully vaccinated 14 days prior to the show, while children under 12 years old may show proof of vaccination or a negative Covid-19 test. Tickets go on sale Friday at 1 pm E.T."

Interesting to see kids under age 12 with a proof of vaccination.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: August 10, 2021 02:17

I was going to post this in the Eric Clapton thread but after seeing BV's request to just post music comments in that thread and keep covid or political post in this thread I will abide.

Here is Queen's Brian May's take on Clapton.

"I love Eric Clapton, he’s my hero, but he has very different views from me in many ways.
He’s a person who thinks it’s OK to shoot animals for fun, so we have our disagreements, but I would never stop respecting the man.
Anti-vax people, I’m sorry, I think they’re fruitcakes.
There’s plenty of evidence to show that vaccination helps.
On the whole, they’ve been very safe. There’s always going to be some side effect in any drug you take, but to go around saying vaccines are a plot to kill you,
I’m sorry, that goes in the fruitcake jar for me."

[www.brooklynvegan.com]

Date: August 10, 2021 02:42

spikenyc
I was going to post this in the Eric Clapton thread but after seeing BV's request to just post music comments in that thread and keep covid or political post in this thread I will abide.

Here is Queen's Brian May's take on Clapton.

"I love Eric Clapton, he’s my hero, but he has very different views from me in many ways.
He’s a person who thinks it’s OK to shoot animals for fun, so we have our disagreements, but I would never stop respecting the man.
Anti-vax people, I’m sorry, I think they’re fruitcakes.
There’s plenty of evidence to show that vaccination helps.
On the whole, they’ve been very safe. There’s always going to be some side effect in any drug you take, but to go around saying vaccines are a plot to kill you,
I’m sorry, that goes in the fruitcake jar for me."

[www.brooklynvegan.com]

Brian May's comments go in the 'absolutely delightful' column.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 10, 2021 03:03

Hopkins is alright in my book....just like like Clapton and Van are alright in my book.
I might not agree with everything they all say, but they'll always be alright in my book.

Meanwhile, in Southern California......................

Exclusive: 14-Year-Old Orange County Boy Hospitalized For COVID-19 Psychosis

Psychosis

ORANGE (CBSLA) — After 15 members of one Orange County family came down with COVID-19 in mid-June — contracted they believe at an indoor birthday party — the youngest of the group is still suffering aftereffects, even after recovering from the virus itself. 14-year-old Daniel Salinas developed COVID-19 psychosis, his family told CBSLA Sunday. It is a condition that can cause psychiatric symptoms, including hallucinations, in some COVID-19 patients after other symptoms have abated. Salinas’ mother, Wilma Singh, said shortly after her son recovered from COVID-19, she began to notice his behavior change. On Aug. 1, her son came down with a migraine headache. “I felt like he had that severe migraine, slept and woke up a different person, someone who is more agitated, angry, anxious,” Singh said. “That’s the total opposite of my son.” The day after the migraine, Daniel’s younger brother called her in a panic. “He goes, ‘Mommy, something’s wrong with Daniel,” Singh said. “‘He’s acting crazy. He’s talking to himself.'” Singh rushed her son to University of California, Irvine Medical Center in the city of Orange. Eventually, Daniel was transferred to Children’s Hospital of Orange County, where doctors ran several tests to understand the drastic change in his behavior. “You thought you survived COVID, but you’re not thinking about the aftereffects of COVID,” Singh told CBSLA.

Doctors said they are seeing more cases of COVID-19 psychosis. They blame the increase on the more infectious Delta variant. Emergency room physician Dr. Michael Daignault said he’s seen COVID psychosis before, but usually in adults who are long-haulers. “We’re learning something new from COVID every day,” Daignault said. According to Daignault, COVID-19 psychosis tends to show up sooner in children. Daniel’s onset with the condition came one month after he contracted the coronavirus. “I think that their brains are just more susceptible to inflammation in the central nervous system, which is leading to these cases of psychosis in kids,” Dr. Daignault said. Singh said she wanted to share her family’s story as a warning to watch for these less frequent, but dangerous consequences, of a COVID-19 infection. “I want parents to know that it’s very important to avoid getting COVID,” Singh said. “I know you want to be out there, but it’s not worth it.” Doctors aren’t sure yet how much longer Daniel will need to remain in the hospital and plan to run more tests on the boy Monday.

Date: August 10, 2021 15:02

Tom Petty festival in Gainesville may be canceled due to COVID-19 pandemic

John Henderson
Aug. 10, 2021

An expanded Tom Petty musical festival that was planned for October featuring a wide range of musical performers may not happen this year due to COVID-19, Mayor Lauren Poe said Monday.

“I see a very low probability that that festival will actually happen this year,” Poe said.

[www.gainesville.com]

Date: August 10, 2021 18:22

From Tesla:

Attn: Fans
TESLA to postpone their next few engagements due to members of the touring party contracting COVID. The band look forward to returning to the road soon. Please check the official website TeslaTheBand.com for updates.

[twitter.com]

Date: August 10, 2021 23:37

Bonnaroo to require vaccination or negative COVID-19 test at next month's festival

Matthew Leimkuehler and Dave Paulson
August 10, 2021

[www.tennessean.com]

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: August 10, 2021 23:47

This is good news for those who have had Covid and have been vaccinated.

Shots give COVID-19 survivors big immune boost, studies show

Associated Press
LAURAN NEERGAARD AND MIKE STOBBE
August 6, 2021, 1:42 PM

Even people who have recovered from COVID-19 are urged to get vaccinated, especially as the extra-contagious delta variant surges — and a new study shows survivors who ignored that advice were more than twice as likely to get reinfected.

Friday's report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention adds to growing laboratory evidence that people who had one bout of COVID-19 get a dramatic boost in virus-fighting immune cells — and a bonus of broader protection against new mutants — when they're vaccinated.

“If you have had COVID-19 before, please still get vaccinated,” said CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky. “Getting the vaccine is the best way to protect yourself and others around you, especially as the more contagious delta variant spreads around the country.”

According to a new Gallup survey, one of the main reasons Americans cite for not planning to get vaccinated is the belief that they’re protected since they already had COVID-19. From the beginning health authorities have urged survivors to get the broader protection vaccination promises. While the shots aren’t perfect, they are providing strong protection against hospitalization and death even from the delta mutant.

Scientists say infection does generally leave survivors protected against a serious reinfection at least with a similar version of the virus, but blood tests have signaled that protection drops against worrisome variants.

The CDC study offers some real-world evidence.

Researchers studied Kentucky residents with a lab-confirmed coronavirus infection in 2020, the vast majority of them between October and December. They compared 246 people who got reinfected in May or June of this year with 492 similar survivors who stayed healthy. The survivors who never got vaccinated had a significantly higher risk of reinfection than those who were fully vaccinated, even though most had their first bout of COVID-19 just six to nine months ago.

A different variant of the coronavirus caused most illnesses in 2020, while the newer alpha version was predominant in Kentucky in May and June, said study lead author Alyson Cavanaugh, a CDC disease detective working with that state's health department.

That suggests natural immunity from earlier infection isn't as strong as the boost those people can get from vaccination while the virus evolves, she said.

There’s little information yet on reinfections with the newer delta variant. But U.S. health officials point to early data from Britain that the reinfection risk appears greater with delta than with the once-common alpha variant, once people are six months past their prior infection.

“There’s no doubt” that vaccinating a COVID-19 survivor enhances both the amount and breadth of immunity “so that you cover not only the original (virus) but the variants,” Dr. Anthony Fauci, the U.S. government’s top infectious disease expert, said at a recent White House briefing.

The CDC recommends full vaccination, meaning both doses of two-dose vaccines, for everyone.

But in a separate study published Friday in JAMA Network Open, Rush University researchers reported just one vaccine dose gives the previously infected a dramatic boost in virus-fighting immune cells, more than people who have never been infected get from two shots.

Other recent studies published in Science and Nature show the combination of a prior infection and vaccination also broadens the strength of people's immunity against a changing virus. It's what virologist Shane Crotty of California's La Jolla Institute for Immunology calls “hybrid immunity.”

Vaccinated survivors “can make antibodies that can recognize all kinds of variants even if you were never exposed to the variant,” Crotty said. “It’s pretty sweet.”

One warning for anyone thinking of skipping vaccination if they had a prior infection: The amount of natural immunity can vary from person to person, possibly depending on how sick they were to begin with. The Rush University study found four of 29 previously infected people had no detectable antibodies before they were vaccinated — and the vaccines worked for them just like they work for people who never had COVID-19.

Why do many of the previously infected have such a robust response to vaccination? It has to do with how the immune system develops multiple layers of protection.

After either vaccination or infection, the body develops antibodies that can fend off the coronavirus the next time it tries to invade. Those naturally wane over time. If an infection sneaks past them, T cells help prevent serious illness by killing virus-infected cells — and memory B cells jump into action to make lots of new antibodies.

Those memory B cells don’t just make copies of the original antibodies. In immune system boot camps called germinal centers, they also mutate antibody-producing genes to test out a range of those virus fighters, explained University of Pennsylvania immunologist John Wherry.

The result is essentially a library of antibody recipes that the body can choose from after future exposures — and that process is stronger when vaccination triggers the immune system’s original memory of fighting the actual virus.

With the delta variant's super infectiousness, getting vaccinated despite a prior infection “is more important now than it was before to be sure,” Crotty said. “The breadth of your antibodies and potency against variants is going to be far better than what you have right now.”

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 10, 2021 23:52

So..........we could see the Stones re-Filter cancelled. There might might ever be a Steve Jordan Stones concert.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 11, 2021 01:39

treaclefingers
gotdablouse
[www.rollingstone.com]

Interesting to see kids under age 12 with a proof of vaccination.

confused smiley

Date: August 11, 2021 02:04

From Jason Isbell:

We’re now requiring proof of vaccination or a current negative test to attend all our shows, indoors or out. If the venue won’t allow that, we won’t play.

[twitter.com]

Date: August 11, 2021 03:06

From Taste of Country:

Pepsi Gulf Jam pushed to 2022

COVID

Fans hoping to see Chris Stapleton, Brooks & Dunn and Old Dominion in Panama City Beach, Fla., next month (Sept. 3-5) will need to wait.
The 2021 Pepsi Gulf Coast Jam has been bumped to June 2022 because of the current growth rate of COVID-19 cases in Bay County and all across America.

Read More: Pepsi Gulf Coast Jam Pushed to June 2022 | [tasteofcountry.com]

Date: August 11, 2021 04:20

Chris Stapleton rebooked to Bottlerock now.

Stevie Nicks drops out of BottleRock, citing COVID concerns

[www.sfgate.com]

Stevie Nicks has dropped out of Napa's premiere music festival, BottleRock Napa Valley, due to concerns over COVID-19, the singer said Tuesday.

In a Twitter post, the former frontwoman of Fleetwood Mac says that she is canceling her performances for 2021.
"While I'm vaccinated, at my age, I am still being extremely cautious and for that reason have decided to skip the 5 performances I had planned for 2021," she wrote.

"Because singing and performing have been my whole life," she continued, "My primary goal is to keep healthy so I can continue singing for the next decade or longer. I'm devastated and I know the fans are disappointed, but we will look towards a brighter 2022."

BottleRock told SFGATE that it is "devastated" Nicks "will not be joining us this year," but said it was "very excited to announce that Chris Stapleton will now be headlining BottleRock on Friday, September 3rd."

Stapleton, a country singer and songwriter, is best known for hits like "Tennessee Whiskey" and "Broken Halos."

Other headliners include Guns N' Roses and Foo Fighters.

BottleRock takes place in Napa Valley from September 3 through 5. The festival had previously announced that all attendees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or provide a 72-hour negative COVID test.

Date: August 11, 2021 08:15

Mandates Create Booming Black Market for Fake Vaccination Cards
Bogus cards can be found online for as much as $200

Counterfeit

As more private businesses, universities and hospitals begin to require people to show proof of vaccination, there is a growing black market for fake vaccination cards. The situation has been getting the attention of law enforcement officials for months, and now privacy-rights advocates are putting out a word of warning. “The people that you’re sharing this data with, these are shady people,” said Eva Velasquez, president and CEO of the San Diego-based Identity Theft Resource Center. "What would make you think that they’re not going to misuse your information in another way?" In fact, a bogus vaccination card obtained by NBC 7 shows the buyer gave a date of birth and, in all likelihood, other personal information. “I want people who are considering doing this just to consider who they’re sharing their data with," Velasquez said. "What makes you think that, just because you’re paying them money, that once they have your data, they aren’t going to use it for other nefarious purposes?”

The fake cards are remarkably easy to find online for as much as $200. One ad on Instagram was observed offering a card for just $25. The cards are available via online platforms despite efforts by 47 state attorneys general, who in April requested that social media sites take down ads or links offering fake cards for sale. Meanwhile, the San Diego County District Attorney’s office put out a statement warning of criminal consequences for selling or using a fake vaccination card: “With more industries and workplaces requiring vaccine verification, we are seeing an increase in fraudsters offering to sell fake cards," District Attorney Summer Stephan said. "Making, selling or using fake vaccination cards is a crime, and is destructive to public health. This illegal behavior could result in serious criminal charges, including identity theft, falsifying medical records or forgery." Among those being targeted by those making the fake cards are college students, many of who are now required to show proof of vaccination.

At San Diego State, students gathered on campus had negative reviews of the bogus cards. “The fact that people are doing something illegal to get out of something that’s free -- and being highly encouraged, and that can protect our neighbors and our friends and family -- I think that that’s really crazy,” said political science grad student Adri Bozaich. “It’s crazy that people would rather pay for something that’s technically not legal then just get something that’s free, takes two seconds and, I bet, the process takes a lot longer to get a fake vaccination card,” said Gabby Garcia, a junior majoring in speech language and hearing science. San Diego State University said that, as of July 30, more than 25,000 students and a majority of faculty and staff have already submitted proof of vaccination. In a statement, the university outlined its procedure to guard against fake vaccination cards: “SDSU has the ability to verify vaccinations administered in the state of California by automatically cross-referencing all uploaded vaccine cards and records with county and state vaccine registries. We also screen for any vaccine-card irregularities or other concerns. To be clear: The university has not encountered the upload of any fictitious COVID-19 vaccine cards."

Posted by: jon12345 ()
Date: August 11, 2021 09:30

Blackberry Smoke Tour halted after guitarist Paul Jackson reports COVID symptoms and tests positive at Jacksonville, FL tour stop

Blackberry Smoke Official Instagram

"Unfortunately we are unable to continue with tonight's Spirit Of The South Show in Jacksonville, FL. Paul Jackson reported feeling symptoms of Covid 19, was tested immediately, and found to be positive. In order to ensure the safety of the rest of the band, crew, staff, and fans, we need to immediately halt the tour. We will let everyone know within 24-48 hours about refunds or rescheduled dates for tonight's shows and any others that will be affected. We are working on details at this very moment. We will absolutely keep you all informed as those decisions are made. We appreciate your support and understanding."

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 11, 2021 10:14

"The fact that people are doing something illegal to get out of something that’s free -- and being highly encouraged, and that can protect our neighbors and our friends and family -- I think that that’s really crazy"

'nuff said...not to mention that by getting the free vaccine you're massively reducing your risk of facing a serious medical condition, regardless of your age, fitness, etc...

So Stevie Nicks is out, who's next ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: August 11, 2021 15:35

Houston venue has canceled Jason Isbell's August 11 show:

The Jason Isbell and Lucinda Williams show scheduled for
August 11, 2021 at The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion has unfortunately been canceled. Refunds are available at the point of purchase. More info -> [bit.ly]

[twitter.com]

The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion fully supports and commends Jason Isbell and his team for their commitment to the health of their fans, crew, band and venue staff. To implement a major change in policy such as what is requested will take more time than we have.

[twitter.com]

Jason Isbell's response:

The pavilion statement is false. Live Nation, the promoter, was on board but the venue owner flat-out refused to even attempt to implement the policy.

[twitter.com]

Date: August 11, 2021 17:21

For those who say vaccines and masks do not work, please explain this.

California doing much better with delta variant than Florida, Texas. Here's why
Rong-Gong Lin II and Luke Money
Los Angeles Times
Aug. 11, 2021

SAN FRANCISCO — Despite a significant surge in both coronavirus cases and hospitalizations this summer, California so far has managed to avoid the sky-high infection rates and increasingly overcrowded hospitals some other states are now experiencing.

California’s coronavirus case rate remains below the national average and significantly less than that of Florida and Texas: two common points of comparison given their population size and distinctly different pandemic responses.

Experts say California’s better-than-average vaccination rates and newly implemented mandatory mask policies in parts of the state have helped prevent a more grim situation.

While governors in Florida, Texas and other states have opposed allowing local governments to mandate the wearing of masks, California has allowed counties to enact such orders in indoor public spaces for everyone age 2 and older, regardless of vaccination status.

“I am hopeful for California and Los Angeles, because of the fact that we have higher levels of vaccination, and we have increased numbers of people stepping up to the plate and getting vaccinated,” said Dr. Robert Kim-Farley, medical epidemiologist and infectious diseases expert at the UCLA Fielding School of Public Health. “However, we still have a ways to go to achieve a higher level of community immunity, or herd immunity, because of the increased transmissibility of the delta variant.”

California is reporting 141.1 new coronavirus cases for every 100,000 residents over the last seven days — a rate half that of Texas, 297.8; and less than one-fourth that of Florida’s rate of 653.8, according to data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. California’s rate is also less than the national average of 232.1.

The flood of COVID-19 patients newly admitted to Florida hospitals is now far worse than at any point during its winter surge. In early January, Florida was reporting more than 1,150 new COVID-19 patients admitted a day. But over the last week, the state saw an average of 2,071 new COVID-19 hospital admissions daily.

By contrast, California is reporting 772 new COVID-19 hospital admissions daily, just 32% of its winter peak of 2,380. On a per capita basis, Florida’s rate of new daily hospitalizations is five times worse than California’s.

Texas is now reporting 1,403 new COVID-19 hospitalizations daily, 75% of its winter peak of 1,873.

There are also some signs that California’s delta surge is slowing after public officials in many counties instituted universal masking in indoor public settings. Some businesses have also started demanding proof of vaccination as a condition of employment or entry.

During the week that ended Sunday, L.A. County reported a total of 20,979 new coronavirus cases — a modest 6.5% increase from the previous week, Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer said Tuesday. By comparison, the county saw a 22% increase the week before.

Over the same timeframe, the rest of California reported 55,422 total cases, a 20% increase from the week before. The week before that, the increase was 57%.

L.A. County this summer was one of the first local governments in the nation to recommend, and then require, the wearing of masks in indoor public settings — a move that was soon followed by others including Sacramento and Santa Barbara counties and much of the San Francisco Bay Area.

“Data from around the world and from our county have repeatedly shown that masking is a valuable layer of protection against transmission of respiratory viruses,” Ferrer said.

Officials stressed the delta variant continues to be a public health threat, and they expect cases to rise further in the coming weeks. Yet they hope the steps already taken will flatten, and eventually reverse, the pandemic’s trajectory without resorting to more stringent measures.

The biggest reason for that optimism is California’s relatively robust level of vaccine coverage. According to the latest CDC figures, 77.5% of eligible Californians — those who are at least 12 years old — have already gotten at least one dose, and about 63% are considered fully vaccinated.

In Florida, roughly 69% of similarly aged residents are at least partially vaccinated, and 57% have completed their inoculation series. The comparable rates in Texas are 64.3% and 53.7%, respectively, federal figures show.

Officials and experts say the overwhelming majority of people currently being hospitalized for COVID-19 in California and across the country have yet to be vaccinated.

Out of 117 people admitted to Los Angeles County’s public hospitals primarily for COVID-19 between June 15 and Aug. 5, 112 were not fully vaccinated and only five were fully vaccinated, according to Dr. Christina Ghaly, the county’s director of health services.

“The vaccine saves lives,” she said Tuesday. “It reduces the risk of infection, it reduces the risk of spreading the virus to others and, critically, in doing so it reduces the risk of those individuals serving as a petri dish, really, in which the virus can continue to mutate into progressively more dangerous forms that put everyone at risk.”

Aside from vaccines, health officials and experts have long noted that pandemic conditions vary based on a number of factors. Some areas may have stricter coronavirus-related rules in place, or are home to residents who — for whatever reason — are more likely to take individual precautions in their daily lives.

Other areas may largely scoff at any such limitations.

Perhaps nowhere is the gap between California versus Florida and Texas more apparent than when it comes to masks.

California has urged all residents, even those who are fully vaccinated, to wear masks indoors while in public, and is requiring them in K-12 schools.

The governors of Texas and Florida, on the other hand, have largely banned schools and municipal governments from instituting such mandates, though some local leaders have defied those orders.

In light of the surge, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott has directed the state health department to use staffing agencies to find additional medical staff and also sent a letter to the Texas Hospital Assn. requesting that hospitals postpone elective medical procedures.

Austin, Texas, emergency room doctor Natasha Kathuria — a native of Orlando, Fla. — said she hears from Florida doctors that the situation there is even worse, and worries that’s where Texas is headed. She’s already had to send patients home because she didn’t have the capacity to treat them.

“This is disaster medicine,” she said. “We’ve never felt this disheartened during the pandemic.”

Though California officials have voiced some concern with rapidly rising hospitalizations, they’ve generally said they believe the state’s healthcare system won’t come under the same sort of stress as during the state’s devastating fall-and-winter wave.

Though the surge of new infections has started to wash over California’s hospitals, the death toll from COVID-19 has remained relatively low at an average of about 32 fatalities per day over the last week. That’s a far cry from the regular triple-digit counts seen during previous surges.

Though it’s possible death counts may not surge as they have earlier in the pandemic — especially since many of the most vulnerable Californians, namely the elderly and those with underlying health conditions, have gotten vaccinated — Ferrer cautioned that it’s still too soon to say for sure.

In L.A. County, she said, someone who dies from COVID-19 was diagnosed an average of 37 days beforehand.

“With our case increase having begun relatively recently, it’s therefore too early to fully assess the impact of this latest wave of infection,” she said.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 11, 2021 17:39

bye bye johnny
Houston venue has canceled Jason Isbell's August 11 show:

The Jason Isbell and Lucinda Williams show scheduled for
August 11, 2021 at The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion has unfortunately been canceled. Refunds are available at the point of purchase. More info -> [bit.ly]

[twitter.com]

The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion fully supports and commends Jason Isbell and his team for their commitment to the health of their fans, crew, band and venue staff. To implement a major change in policy such as what is requested will take more time than we have.

[twitter.com]

Jason Isbell's response:

The pavilion statement is false. Live Nation, the promoter, was on board but the venue owner flat-out refused to even attempt to implement the policy.

[twitter.com]

Went to the three night stand in Austin scheduled just prior to this one.

These were the first shows that Isbell put down the edict of vax-proof or test.
There were some disgruntled fans, and some returned tickets (thanks to the anti vaxxer for the front row mezzanine seats the venue let me trade mine in for on night three) but for the most part the shows were full and a great time was had by all.

They set up a special quick testing site just a few blocks away, and a couple in line behind me for the rail on night one, went and got tested and where back behind me inside the venue well before the opener.
Those that didn't have proof or didn't want to be tested were refunded.
Was great to witness (the show and the vax procedures). From the security to the ushers to the fans and artists, everyone relaxed and enjoyed the shows.

Date: August 11, 2021 17:55

daspyknows
For those who say vaccines and masks do not work, please explain this.

California doing much better with delta variant than Florida, Texas. Here's why
Rong-Gong Lin II and Luke Money
Los Angeles Times
Aug. 11, 2021

SAN FRANCISCO — Despite a significant surge in both coronavirus cases and hospitalizations this summer, California so far has managed to avoid the sky-high infection rates and increasingly overcrowded hospitals some other states are now experiencing.

California’s coronavirus case rate remains below the national average and significantly less than that of Florida and Texas: two common points of comparison given their population size and distinctly different pandemic responses.

Experts say California’s better-than-average vaccination rates and newly implemented mandatory mask policies in parts of the state have helped prevent a more grim situation.

While governors in Florida, Texas and other states have opposed allowing local governments to mandate the wearing of masks, California has allowed counties to enact such orders in indoor public spaces for everyone age 2 and older, regardless of vaccination status.

“I am hopeful for California and Los Angeles, because of the fact that we have higher levels of vaccination, and we have increased numbers of people stepping up to the plate and getting vaccinated,” said Dr. Robert Kim-Farley, medical epidemiologist and infectious diseases expert at the UCLA Fielding School of Public Health. “However, we still have a ways to go to achieve a higher level of community immunity, or herd immunity, because of the increased transmissibility of the delta variant.”

California is reporting 141.1 new coronavirus cases for every 100,000 residents over the last seven days — a rate half that of Texas, 297.8; and less than one-fourth that of Florida’s rate of 653.8, according to data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. California’s rate is also less than the national average of 232.1.

The flood of COVID-19 patients newly admitted to Florida hospitals is now far worse than at any point during its winter surge. In early January, Florida was reporting more than 1,150 new COVID-19 patients admitted a day. But over the last week, the state saw an average of 2,071 new COVID-19 hospital admissions daily.

By contrast, California is reporting 772 new COVID-19 hospital admissions daily, just 32% of its winter peak of 2,380. On a per capita basis, Florida’s rate of new daily hospitalizations is five times worse than California’s.

Texas is now reporting 1,403 new COVID-19 hospitalizations daily, 75% of its winter peak of 1,873.

There are also some signs that California’s delta surge is slowing after public officials in many counties instituted universal masking in indoor public settings. Some businesses have also started demanding proof of vaccination as a condition of employment or entry.

During the week that ended Sunday, L.A. County reported a total of 20,979 new coronavirus cases — a modest 6.5% increase from the previous week, Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer said Tuesday. By comparison, the county saw a 22% increase the week before.

Over the same timeframe, the rest of California reported 55,422 total cases, a 20% increase from the week before. The week before that, the increase was 57%.

L.A. County this summer was one of the first local governments in the nation to recommend, and then require, the wearing of masks in indoor public settings — a move that was soon followed by others including Sacramento and Santa Barbara counties and much of the San Francisco Bay Area.

“Data from around the world and from our county have repeatedly shown that masking is a valuable layer of protection against transmission of respiratory viruses,” Ferrer said.

Officials stressed the delta variant continues to be a public health threat, and they expect cases to rise further in the coming weeks. Yet they hope the steps already taken will flatten, and eventually reverse, the pandemic’s trajectory without resorting to more stringent measures.

The biggest reason for that optimism is California’s relatively robust level of vaccine coverage. According to the latest CDC figures, 77.5% of eligible Californians — those who are at least 12 years old — have already gotten at least one dose, and about 63% are considered fully vaccinated.

In Florida, roughly 69% of similarly aged residents are at least partially vaccinated, and 57% have completed their inoculation series. The comparable rates in Texas are 64.3% and 53.7%, respectively, federal figures show.

Officials and experts say the overwhelming majority of people currently being hospitalized for COVID-19 in California and across the country have yet to be vaccinated.

Out of 117 people admitted to Los Angeles County’s public hospitals primarily for COVID-19 between June 15 and Aug. 5, 112 were not fully vaccinated and only five were fully vaccinated, according to Dr. Christina Ghaly, the county’s director of health services.

“The vaccine saves lives,” she said Tuesday. “It reduces the risk of infection, it reduces the risk of spreading the virus to others and, critically, in doing so it reduces the risk of those individuals serving as a petri dish, really, in which the virus can continue to mutate into progressively more dangerous forms that put everyone at risk.”

Aside from vaccines, health officials and experts have long noted that pandemic conditions vary based on a number of factors. Some areas may have stricter coronavirus-related rules in place, or are home to residents who — for whatever reason — are more likely to take individual precautions in their daily lives.

Other areas may largely scoff at any such limitations.

Perhaps nowhere is the gap between California versus Florida and Texas more apparent than when it comes to masks.

California has urged all residents, even those who are fully vaccinated, to wear masks indoors while in public, and is requiring them in K-12 schools.

The governors of Texas and Florida, on the other hand, have largely banned schools and municipal governments from instituting such mandates, though some local leaders have defied those orders.

In light of the surge, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott has directed the state health department to use staffing agencies to find additional medical staff and also sent a letter to the Texas Hospital Assn. requesting that hospitals postpone elective medical procedures.

Austin, Texas, emergency room doctor Natasha Kathuria — a native of Orlando, Fla. — said she hears from Florida doctors that the situation there is even worse, and worries that’s where Texas is headed. She’s already had to send patients home because she didn’t have the capacity to treat them.

“This is disaster medicine,” she said. “We’ve never felt this disheartened during the pandemic.”

Though California officials have voiced some concern with rapidly rising hospitalizations, they’ve generally said they believe the state’s healthcare system won’t come under the same sort of stress as during the state’s devastating fall-and-winter wave.

Though the surge of new infections has started to wash over California’s hospitals, the death toll from COVID-19 has remained relatively low at an average of about 32 fatalities per day over the last week. That’s a far cry from the regular triple-digit counts seen during previous surges.

Though it’s possible death counts may not surge as they have earlier in the pandemic — especially since many of the most vulnerable Californians, namely the elderly and those with underlying health conditions, have gotten vaccinated — Ferrer cautioned that it’s still too soon to say for sure.

In L.A. County, she said, someone who dies from COVID-19 was diagnosed an average of 37 days beforehand.

“With our case increase having begun relatively recently, it’s therefore too early to fully assess the impact of this latest wave of infection,” she said.

I don't understand the 'strategy' that comes with going unvaccinated. If you live in a country without universal health care, and you don't have medical insurance, isn't it critical to avoid ending up in the hospital for a bank-breaking stay?

I mean aside from generally not wanting to be in the hospital, if you can't afford insurance, you certainly can't afford a lengthy hospital stay...a free vaccine removes that issue from you completely.

Is this a consideration for the unvaxxed, and if not, why not?

Date: August 11, 2021 18:08

treaclefingers

I don't understand the 'strategy' that comes with going unvaccinated. If you live in a country without universal health care, and you don't have medical insurance, isn't it critical to avoid ending up in the hospital for a bank-breaking stay?

I mean aside from generally not wanting to be in the hospital, if you can't afford insurance, you certainly can't afford a lengthy hospital stay...a free vaccine removes that issue from you completely.

Thy are more worried by being tracked by the government with the imaginary microchips, becoming magnetic and not putting bad things in their body besides large amounts of alcohol, fast food and opiates.

Let's face it many/most of these are not the brightest lightbulbs in more ways than one.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 11, 2021 18:17

I understand those who do not want the vaccine. The needle is VERY scary, and if you never had any vaccine, who knows what is happening. I have had many vaccines, because I travel a lot, hep A, B and so on, yellow fever, all that stuff, flu every year and so on, no worries, but some simply fear the needle. I understand.

However, what I do NOT understand, is why the mask is such a big problem. They wear masks in Japan when they have a cold or the flu. It's natural. I had a mask on for half a year, from late fall to one month ago. No worries. I will wear a mask (or two) whenever needed, no worries.

Bjornulf

Date: August 11, 2021 18:17

daspyknows
treaclefingers

Thy are more worried by being tracked by the government with the imaginary microchips, becoming magnetic and not putting bad things in their body besides large amounts of alcohol, fast food and opiates.

Let's face it many/most of these are not the brightest lightbulbs in more ways than one.

Yeah...and without casting aspersions it would appear that critical thinking and logic aren't really coming into play. These unfortunate decisions seem to be more emotionally based.

Date: August 11, 2021 19:24

Rock The South Festival in Cullman AL August 13-14 featuring headliners Luke Combs and Miranda Lambert

[rockthesouth.com]

--

From promoter Shane Quick:

On fans who want to attend Rock the South but are concerned about COVID:

“I’m a concert promoter. I’m not a scientist, and I’m not a doctor. So anything that I’m going to say is going to be my opinion. But in that, I feel like if it is something you’re worried about, stay home, definitely. We want to see everyone there. If it’s something you’re worried about, go get vaccinated. I can tell you me and my family have been vaccinated. It’s something we chose to do. As a festival, we’re not telling people to go get vaccinated. You know in this state, in this part of the world, people don’t react well to being told what to do. You have to let people make their own decisions. I can tell you for me and my family, we decided to be vaccinated. The owners of this festival, we decided to be vaccinated.”

On keeping people safe at Rock the South:

“This is my home. This is my festival. We take it very serious. We take people’s safety very serious. We love the people that come here. This is a labor or love for us. We’re going to look out for people. If we have to zig and zag and make changes at a whim to keep people safe, that’s what we’ll do. I do believe that the standards of the way we’re running the festival this year are above and beyond any national standard, and even more indoor shows. We’re going to pull up our bootstraps and wait for next year when it’s going to be even bigger. Good times ahead for all of us. I can’t wait to where we’re all living life without any fear, worry or hesitation. But until then, we’re going to be wildly precautious, do all the things we’ve got to do to be smart and put others above ourselves.”

[www.al.com]

Date: August 11, 2021 20:04

bye bye johnny
Rock The South Festival in Cullman AL August 13-14 featuring headliners Luke Combs and Miranda Lambert

[rockthesouth.com]

--

From promoter Shane Quick:

On fans who want to attend Rock the South but are concerned about COVID:

“I’m a concert promoter. I’m not a scientist, and I’m not a doctor. So anything that I’m going to say is going to be my opinion. But in that, I feel like if it is something you’re worried about, stay home, definitely. We want to see everyone there. If it’s something you’re worried about, go get vaccinated. I can tell you me and my family have been vaccinated. It’s something we chose to do. As a festival, we’re not telling people to go get vaccinated. You know in this state, in this part of the world, people don’t react well to being told what to do. You have to let people make their own decisions. I can tell you for me and my family, we decided to be vaccinated. The owners of this festival, we decided to be vaccinated.”

On keeping people safe at Rock the South:

“This is my home. This is my festival. We take it very serious. We take people’s safety very serious. We love the people that come here. This is a labor or love for us. We’re going to look out for people. If we have to zig and zag and make changes at a whim to keep people safe, that’s what we’ll do. I do believe that the standards of the way we’re running the festival this year are above and beyond any national standard, and even more indoor shows. We’re going to pull up our bootstraps and wait for next year when it’s going to be even bigger. Good times ahead for all of us. I can’t wait to where we’re all living life without any fear, worry or hesitation. But until then, we’re going to be wildly precautious, do all the things we’ve got to do to be smart and put others above ourselves.”

[www.al.com]

very pragmatic. I like the fact that he self-discloses his own vax status. It wasn't necessary but it was a positive move.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: August 11, 2021 20:55

New data suggests Pfizer and Moderna's vaccines may be less effective against Delta

Overall, it found that the Moderna vaccine was 86% effective against infection over the study period, and Pfizer's was 76%. Moderna's vaccine was 92% effective against hospitalization and Pfizer's was 85%.

But the vaccines' effectiveness against infection dropped sharply in July, when the Delta variant's prevalence in Minnesota had risen to over 70%.

Moderna was 76% effective against infection, and Pfizer was only 42% effective.

The study found similar results in other states. For example, in Florida, the risk of infection in July for people fully vaccinated with Moderna was about 60% lower than for people fully vaccinated with Pfizer.

Why it matters: Although it has yet to be peer-reviewed, the study raises serious questions about both vaccines' long-term effectiveness, particularly Pfizer's.

It's unclear whether the results signify a reduction in effectiveness over time, a reduced effectiveness against Delta, or a combination of both.

"Based on the data that we have so far, it is a combination of both factors," said Venky Soundararajan, a lead author of the study. "The Moderna vaccine is likely — very likely — more effective than the Pfizer vaccine in areas where Delta is the dominant strain, and the Pfizer vaccine appears to have a lower durability of effectiveness.”

He added that his team is working on a follow-up study that will try to differentiate between the durability of the two vaccines and their effectiveness against Delta.

Yes, but: There has been no data so far that has found either vaccine's protection against severe disease and death is significantly less against Delta, and the study notes that there doesn't appear to be much of a difference in complications stemming from breakthrough infections based on which vaccine someone got.

And experts cautioned against rushing to conclusions.

“This is the kind of surprising finding that needs confirmation before we should accept its validity," said Cornell virologist John Moore.

Between the lines: The two shots both use mRNA, but there are significant differences between them.

For example, Moderna is given in a stronger dose than Pfizer, and there is a slightly different time interval between shots.

"There are a few differences between what are known to be similar vaccines .... None of these variables is an obvious smoking gun, although the dosing amount seems the most likely to be a factor," Moore said.

In a statement, Pfizer said it and BioNTech "expect to be able to develop and produce a tailor-made vaccine against that variant in approximately 100 days after a decision to do so, subject to regulatory approval.

[news.yahoo.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...291292293294295296297298299300301...LastNext
Current Page: 296 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1995
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home