Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...260261262263264265266267268269270...LastNext
Current Page: 265 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 18, 2021 13:38

georgie48
kovach
georgie48
The USA are pretty unique when it comes to legal issues. For the Stones I could be equally annoying ... fans who already have tickets, but not allowed to get in without vaccination proof ... or vaccinated fans going to court when they find out they are infected with Covid-any Greek character during a Stones concert ... (and as such putting others in danger).

It may be better to wait until the Covid-alpha, beta, gamma, delta, (ipsylon?) storm is really over. Okay, a small breeze should be okay, I'd say.
But ... if the Stones decide to go ahead, well, what choice do I have? Just get me an available concert ticket to any place in the USA (but preferably the West cool smiley)

If you're vaccinated who cares? Low chance of catching, and lower chance of hospitalization and even lower chance of death.
How much stuff have you avoided after you got the flu shot?

You're right. After the flu shot (once a year) I, like many I guess, go on with daily life as usual. Last year November I also had a flu shot, but was already in Covid protection mode. The only thing I thought was that by having the flu shot, my body was already "forced" to make antibodies. Not antibodies for Covid, but still, the "machine" was being "oiled", in other words, not sleeping. As of May 12 I'm fully Phizered.
But I also want to say, that the worst post WW2 flu was 10 times less deadly than Covid, which make quite a difference in my mindsetting. I would not enter a space filled with a deadly gas, even when having the best high quality gas mask available. I also would not eat Japanese Blowfish, even if it's prepared by the best Japanese masterchef winking smiley Knowing about the depth of IT security (you don't really want to know ...) makes you think twice in what way you (want to) use Internet, mobile phone IT communication, etc. Nothing is perfect, but fooling yourself while fed with pre-knowledge, would really make a fool of your(read: my)self.
smileys with beer
You just touched upon an issue that is a major concern of mine when you mentioned IT Security . For me this stops me dead in my tracks in not trusting to use plastic and ID Theft . That is a major problem in my eyes that is just getting worse and worse .

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: June 18, 2021 14:45

Today I read in the Belgium newspaper: Bad news for music lovers who wanted to go to a Bruce Springsteen concert on Broadway next week and got two shots with the AstraZeneca vaccine: they can't get in. Canadian fans who do not have to travel far to New York are especially affected.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: June 18, 2021 15:06

TheGreek
georgie48
kovach
georgie48
The USA are pretty unique when it comes to legal issues. For the Stones I could be equally annoying ... fans who already have tickets, but not allowed to get in without vaccination proof ... or vaccinated fans going to court when they find out they are infected with Covid-any Greek character during a Stones concert ... (and as such putting others in danger).

It may be better to wait until the Covid-alpha, beta, gamma, delta, (ipsylon?) storm is really over. Okay, a small breeze should be okay, I'd say.
But ... if the Stones decide to go ahead, well, what choice do I have? Just get me an available concert ticket to any place in the USA (but preferably the West cool smiley)

If you're vaccinated who cares? Low chance of catching, and lower chance of hospitalization and even lower chance of death.
How much stuff have you avoided after you got the flu shot?

You're right. After the flu shot (once a year) I, like many I guess, go on with daily life as usual. Last year November I also had a flu shot, but was already in Covid protection mode. The only thing I thought was that by having the flu shot, my body was already "forced" to make antibodies. Not antibodies for Covid, but still, the "machine" was being "oiled", in other words, not sleeping. As of May 12 I'm fully Phizered.
But I also want to say, that the worst post WW2 flu was 10 times less deadly than Covid, which make quite a difference in my mindsetting. I would not enter a space filled with a deadly gas, even when having the best high quality gas mask available. I also would not eat Japanese Blowfish, even if it's prepared by the best Japanese masterchef winking smiley Knowing about the depth of IT security (you don't really want to know ...) makes you think twice in what way you (want to) use Internet, mobile phone IT communication, etc. Nothing is perfect, but fooling yourself while fed with pre-knowledge, would really make a fool of your(read: my)self.
smileys with beer
You just touched upon an issue that is a major concern of mine when you mentioned IT Security . For me this stops me dead in my tracks in not trusting to use plastic and ID Theft . That is a major problem in my eyes that is just getting worse and worse .

Professionaly I (and a colleague) screened networks of companies in and around a major International AirPort some 13-14 years ago (official/ethical hacking with dedicated software on a dedicated laptop (antenna on the car roof). A shocking 40% of the networks were "leaking buckets".
My guess is if I would do the same thing now (don't worry, I'm well in retirement winking smiley) with mobile phones I would be similarly or probably even more shocked. The more we depend on digital communication/data transfer the more our global society will suffer. The bad news is that "we" can't avoid disaster, because the majority of governments and companies are not prepared to invest heavily in digital protection (costly, but really feasable!).
I once screened a major international bank in the heart of London. They deal with daily money transfers running into hundreds of millions of € $ £. They were under heavy attack many, many hundreds of times per day (possibly thousands of times, but I wasn't there long enough to verify) .... but they were protected for sure!
Cost a fortune but ... saves a huge fortune cool smiley.
For us mortals, we can get around for a while in case of digital disaster when we make sure we have enough candles, matches, torches (flashlights) on batteries, pencils to write, stamps, etc. just in case, and it doesn't cost a fortune grinning smiley

I love Bobby McFerrin's Don't worry, be happy grinning smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 18, 2021 15:46

tioms
Today I read in the Belgium newspaper: Bad news for music lovers who wanted to go to a Bruce Springsteen concert on Broadway next week and got two shots with the AstraZeneca vaccine: they can't get in. Canadian fans who do not have to travel far to New York are especially affected.

OK...I had to look this up:

[ottawa.ctvnews.ca]

I get the logic...only vaccines approved by the FDA. Not fair but at least the logic holds.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 18, 2021 16:26

treaclefingers
tioms

OK...I had to look this up:

[ottawa.ctvnews.ca]

I get the logic...only vaccines approved by the FDA. Not fair but at least the logic holds.

Not seeing the "not fair" part of this tbh.
As a fully vaxxed person who can't even cross the Canadian border to visit family, I think the FDA requirement (required by NY State) is fair and makes sense tbh.

Being the first full capacity indoor Broadway show, there's obviously a lot riding on the results of the safety precautions.
Sincerely hope, and believe, this won't be relevant to Stones or other stadium shows going forward, but baby steps and all that.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: June 18, 2021 17:46

MisterDDDD
As a fully vaxxed person who can't even cross the Canadian border to visit family, I think the FDA requirement (required by NY State) is fair and makes sense tbh…

I thought that the US FDA decline to approve Astra Zeneca because of the perceived risk of complications, not due to efficacy. In the context of reopening, if that is correct, then refusing entry to people who have had it doesn’t really scan…we are effectively vaccinated. Maybe the position will change when they realize how many tourists from Canada, UK and other countries will not be able to spend their money Stateside.

Date: June 18, 2021 17:52

Was really hopeful the restrictions wouldn't be extended this time around, or at least an announcement of a firm date when they will loosen.
Perhaps that announcement will come soon, as I believe PM Trudeau is still expected to make further announcement on June 22nd.

Canada extends U.S. travel restrictions through July 21

WASHINGTON, June 18 (Reuters) - Canada said Friday it will extend restrictions that bar non-essential travel at U.S. land borders until at least July 21.

Reuters reported this week the United States is expected to issue a new extension of restrictions at the Canadian and Mexican borders that are set to expire June 21.

The restrictions were first imposed in March 2020 in response to the COVID-19 pandemic and have been extended in 30-day increments. The United States held initial working group meetings this week with both Canadian and Mexican officials, sources told Reuters.
[www.reuters.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-18 18:03 by MisterDDDD.

Date: June 18, 2021 18:01

SomeTorontoGirl
MisterDDDD
As a fully vaxxed person who can't even cross the Canadian border to visit family, I think the FDA requirement (required by NY State) is fair and makes sense tbh…

I thought that the US FDA decline to approve Astra Zeneca because of the perceived risk of complications, not due to efficacy. In the context of reopening, if that is correct, then refusing entry to people who have had it doesn’t really scan…we are effectively vaccinated. Maybe the position will change when they realize how many tourists from Canada, UK and other countries will not be able to spend their money Stateside.

Believe Astra Zeneca never submitted their vaccine for emergency FDA approval.
Your point is a good one if they had.

Clearly tourism dollars are vital and important to all involved.
Canada/US border closings and restrictions are a bit different in that we are so connected.. but Canada isn't letting my fully vaxxed ass up to visit either it should be pointed out, to see family much less catch a show winking smiley

AstraZeneca Weighs Seeking Full U.S. Approval for Covid Shot, Skipping Emergency-Use Application
British drugmaker faces challenges gathering data; may wait to apply for full approval by the FDA, which takes longer
[www.wsj.com]

WASHINGTON, June 18 (Reuters) - Canada said Friday it will extend restrictions that bar non-essential travel at U.S. land borders until at least July 21.
[www.reuters.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-18 18:10 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: June 18, 2021 19:43

MisterDDDD
SomeTorontoGirl
MisterDDDD

Believe Astra Zeneca never submitted their vaccine for emergency FDA approval.
Your point is a good one if they had.

Clearly tourism dollars are vital and important to all involved.
Canada/US border closings and restrictions are a bit different in that we are so connected.. but Canada isn't letting my fully vaxxed ass up to visit either it should be pointed out, to see family much less catch a show winking smiley

AstraZeneca Weighs Seeking Full U.S. Approval for Covid Shot, Skipping Emergency-Use Application
British drugmaker faces challenges gathering data; may wait to apply for full approval by the FDA, which takes longer
[www.wsj.com]

[www.reuters.com]

I understand they didn't file for approval in the US, but they filed in the EU and Canada, yes?...isn't that good enough for the US?

It's 2021...doesn't it seem a bit ridiculous that the US FDA doesn't accept the approval-stamp of whatever EU or Canadian agency approved Astrazeneca?

I mean...are US standards THAT much higher than the EU or Canada? Are they even higher at all??

all this adds up to (to me) is more red-tape gov't nonsense and another great "follow the science" moment...

OK...sure....which science would you like me to follow? The FDAs or the EUs?

B/c if I follow the latter, I can't see Bruce....

Date: June 18, 2021 19:51

stickyfingers101
I understand they didn't file for approval in the US, but they filed in the EU and Canada, yes?...isn't that good enough for the US?

It's 2021...doesn't it seem a bit ridiculous that the US FDA doesn't accept the approval-stamp of whatever EU or Canadian agency approved Astrazeneca?

I mean...are US standards THAT much higher than the EU or Canada? Are they even higher at all??

all this adds up to (to me) is more red-tape gov't nonsense and another great "follow the science" moment...

Nonsense.
It's the first full opening of a Broadway show for chrissakes, and I don't see many other countries letting me in to be entertained yet.

Also, it's a non-issue soon enough, as all counties will be adapting.

What does the end of NY Covid rules mean for concerts, sports, shows?
The end of New York’s Covid-19 rules means big changes for concerts, sports and shows in the state.

Indoor and outdoor stadiums, theaters, arenas, concert venues and event spots of any size can now operate at 100% capacity, with every seat full, regardless of whether everyone is vaccinated or not, according to Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s office.

Big indoor venues have to follow extra rules to get to that point, but even they can do it.
[www.syracuse.com]

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 18, 2021 19:52

Masks are no longer mandatory in stores as of this week in urban areas of Norway. Still most people i.e. 4 out of 5 do still wear masks in stores. Better safe than sorry.

Bjornulf

Date: June 18, 2021 19:55

Sorry for my outburst...if you don't have something nice to say...as they say!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-18 22:19 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: June 18, 2021 20:05

MisterDDDD
stickyfingers101

Nonsense.
It's the first full opening of a Broadway show for chrissakes, and I don't see many other countries letting me in to be entertained yet.

Also, it's a non-issue soon enough, as all counties will be adapting.

What does the end of NY Covid rules mean for concerts, sports, shows?
The end of New York’s Covid-19 rules means big changes for concerts, sports and shows in the state.

Indoor and outdoor stadiums, theaters, arenas, concert venues and event spots of any size can now operate at 100% capacity, with every seat full, regardless of whether everyone is vaccinated or not, according to Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s office.

Big indoor venues have to follow extra rules to get to that point, but even they can do it.
[www.syracuse.com]

which part is nonsense?

is the EU testing standard so much inferior to the US that we can't trust Astrazeneca and/or the EUs scientific testing process?

I'm not saying we don't have the RIGHT to implement this policy...we have a right to implement whatever law we want....but, the LEGAL basis is totally different than the SCIENTIFIC basis....

I just find the policy odd...and totally un-scientific (unless we don't trust the so-called science of the EU, that is).

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: June 18, 2021 23:23

From CBS News:

“The Biden administration says that over 175 million Americans have gotten their first shot — 65% of all adult Americans. White House COVID-19 response coordinator Jeff Zients said Thursday that 87% of seniors have received their first shots, as well as 74% of adults who are 40 years of age and older.”

As far as Stones fans go, I’d assume many shows would easily be over the 70% mark.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 19, 2021 00:03

NashvilleBlues
From CBS News:

As far as Stones fans go, I’d assume many shows would easily be over the 70% mark.

Not in the south. Still stalled in the mid-30s in Mississippi and Louisiana, for example.

Date: June 19, 2021 00:47

Aquamarine
NashvilleBlues
From CBS News:

Not in the south. Still stalled in the mid-30s in Mississippi and Louisiana, for example.

Just based on some of those figures it's probably going to be a situation where COVID will keep evolving and we'll churn through this in some fashion for a few years as we go through new variants. Hopefully it eventually sinks in with more people that the vaccine is actually a path out of this.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: June 19, 2021 01:26

DandelionPowderman
CaptainCorella
shadooby
Herd immunity is simply not possible if ALL are vaccinated...FACT.

Please don't get me wrong, but I simply do not understand that sentence.

Is there a word missing? What am I not getting about the meaning??

Is there a meaning?

I didn't get that one either.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 19, 2021 02:01

treaclefingers
Aquamarine
NashvilleBlues
From CBS News:

Just based on some of those figures it's probably going to be a situation where COVID will keep evolving and we'll churn through this in some fashion for a few years as we go through new variants. Hopefully it eventually sinks in with more people that the vaccine is actually a path out of this.

As long as it's not AstraZenica. That path is foggy at the moment, apparently.

Date: June 19, 2021 02:20

bleedingman
treaclefingers
Aquamarine
NashvilleBlues
From CBS News:

As long as it's not AstraZenica. That path is foggy at the moment, apparently.

I hadn't heard that and certainly hope that isn't the case. Though they're mixing with the Rna's on second jabs so hopefully that improves that situation too.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 19, 2021 06:31

More antivaxx-news from the NFL via ESPN

Bills WR Cole Beasley vows to live 'life like I want' amid backlash to anti-vaccine remarks

Covid-NFL

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Buffalo Bills wide receiver Cole Beasley released a statement on Twitter on Friday in response to the sharp backlash he has received on social media, disclosing that he is not vaccinated and pledging to "live my one life like I want to regardless." "I will be outside doing what I do," he wrote. "I'll be out in public. If your [sic] scared of me then steer clear, or get vaccinated ... I may die of covid, but I'd rather die actually living. I'm not going to take meds for a leg that isn't broken. I'd rather take my chances with Covid and build up my immunity that way ...I'll play for free this year to live life how I've lived it from day one. If I'm forced into retirement, so be it." Beasley also claimed "a lot of other NFL players" agree with his stance but "aren't in the right place in their careers to be so outspoken." By speaking his mind, Beasley said he hopes he's doing his part to represent those players. Beasley took to Twitter hours after he said he spoke with the NFLPA soon after complaining about its jointly agreed-to policy with the NFL regarding COVID-19 protocols. The policy, which applies to training camp and the preseason, heavily restricts unvaccinated players while allowing vaccinated players to return to near normalcy -- which made Beasley question Thursday via his Twitter account whether "anyone will fight for the players." Beasley tweeted Friday morning a confirmation of The Athletic's report that the NFLPA had reached out to him and come to an understanding regarding certain aspects of the policy. "Now we have spoken and are working through it," he wrote. "From what I'm told these are guidelines for preseason and it's nothing final." The notable differences in the new policy include no daily testing for vaccinated players who will also no longer be required to wear masks at the team's facility or during team travel. Vaccinated players will also have no travel restrictions, can use the sauna/steam room and weight room without capacity limits and can interact with vaccinated friends and family during team travel.

Unvaccinated players will be required to test for COVID-19 every day and must wear masks throughout the team facility and during travel. They will also not be allowed to use the sauna/steam rooms, are subject to weight room capacity limits, and may not leave the team hotel to eat in restaurants or interact with anyone outside of the team traveling party during team travel. Perhaps the biggest difference between the two sets of protocols: Unvaccinated players will be required to quarantine after high-risk exposure to COVID-19, while vaccinated players will not. Beasley expressed confusion over the new protocols and didn't shy away from criticizing the NFL and NFLPA. "This is crazy. Did we vote on this?" he tweeted. "I stay in the hotel. We still have meetings. We will all be together. Vaccinated players can go out the hotel and bring covid back in to where I am. So what does it matter if I stay in the hotel now? 100 percent immune with vaccination? No. The players association is a joke. Call it something different. It's not for the players. Everyone gives me the 98 percent of people who are vaccinated don't get covid again. The odds of me getting in the NFL and playing for 10 years are lower than that and I'm here." Beasley went on to call the NFLPA "a joke," and Bills teammate Jon Feliciano also questioned the organization."Don't forget the Coaches to @NFL trying to force them to get vax or they can't coach in person," he tweeted in response to Beasley. "@NFLPA a lot of these coaches were former players who's helping them?" When called an "anti-vaxxer" by another Twitter user, Feliciano responded by saying he is vaccinated but respects what other people decide to do with their bodies.

Beasley previously responded to a CNN story in May about vaccinated people no longer needing to wear a mask outdoors, saying, "I do that without being vaccinated. Is this illegal now?" The former Dallas Cowboys receiver also spent time responding to Twitter users who questioned his stance; Timothy Caulfield, a research director and professor at the School of Public Health at the University of Alberta, told him the NFL's rules "100% make sense" and "follow the science and are good for the sport & players. I get tested every day for covid and get a negative test but I still have to keep distance from people who are 'vaccinated' when apparently if they get it they can't pass it to anyone," Beasley responded. "How does that make sense to you?" He also declined to disclose what his reservations regarding the vaccine are, calling his choice a personal decision. "You still think I'm trying to persuade people to not do it. I don't care if you're vaccinated or not," he responded to another user. "This isn't about what is dangerous. Football is dangerous I still play it. I'm just saying I shouldn't be treated differently because of it just So I'll do what you want me to."

COVID-19 vaccinations have been a controversial topic throughout the NFL and specifically within the Bills organization. Last month, general manager Brandon Beane was contacted by the NFL after responding to a hypothetical scenario during a radio interview in which he said he would cut an unvaccinated player to return his team to normalcy. Quarterback Josh Allen, during a podcast appearance in March, said he was still undecided about whether he would get the vaccine, saying he would do what the statistics told him was the right move. He declined to disclose his vaccination status or comment on it any further during a call with local reporters after a Bills offseason practice. In May, Bills coach Sean McDermott said he was "concerned" about the divisive nature of the COVID-19 vaccine and the impact it could have on the team, but when asked about it Tuesday, he said the Bills were "moving in the right direction." Both Beane and McDermott are vaccinated, with the latter making it clear he wanted to see his players do the same. "We feel like we know that in our country and around the league where and how things are improving. And to me, there's a direct correlation to people getting vaccinated," McDermott said. "Again, I would like to continue to see our team move in that direction. Continue to move an increased number of people that are getting vaccinated. ... It's good to have the guys here. But I think the reality of our situation is that now -- but also for sure come the fall -- training camp protocols are going to continue to be enforced, in particular for those who are unvaccinated as it relates to the masking and the different things that are in place. "Just trying to be real about it and make sure people understand what normal is gonna look like, in particular for those who are unvaccinated come the fall." Beasley is entering his third season with the Bills after registering 82 catches for 967 yards in 2020 -- both career highs. The stretch he put together in Buffalo is statistically the best two-year stretch of his 10-year career. He has two years and roughly $11.9 million remaining on his contract with the Bills.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: June 19, 2021 07:08

^ He is now threatening to retire. Go retire. Not like he can make $4 million a year being a covidiot.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 19, 2021 07:24

I wonder what the actual percentage is of unvaccinated NFL players - there seems to be quite a few.

Date: June 19, 2021 10:36

Hairball
I wonder what the actual percentage is of unvaccinated NFL players - there seems to be quite a few.

Do you think it's a 'concussion injury' thing?

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: June 19, 2021 20:18

Hairball

For the teams to skip Covid protocols of 2020 85% need to be vaccinated. Supposedly 2 teams meet the requirement and a few are close. There are a couple that are like Alabama or Mississippi and will be operating like 2020.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 20, 2021 01:06

daspyknows
^ He is now threatening to retire. Go retire. Not like he can make $4 million a year being a covidiot.

Yeah man, retire. They are hiring plenty greeters at Wally World so its not like you are going to starve. Oh, they require vaxxes there too? Maybe you should suck it up and get it done and save your NFL "career".

It is probably the repeated concussions talking. When the steroids wear off maybe he will reconsider.

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-20 01:09 by jbwelda.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: June 20, 2021 02:31

Date: June 20, 2021 03:04

jbwelda
daspyknows

Yeah man, retire. They are hiring plenty greeters at Wally World so its not like you are going to starve. Oh, they require vaxxes there too? Maybe you should suck it up and get it done and save your NFL "career".

It is probably the repeated concussions talking. When the steroids wear off maybe he will reconsider.

jb

Oh,man, you have no idea what's coming down the pike. Make sure you book time for that third (or is it fourth?) shot.

Date: June 20, 2021 03:07

Ooopsie. Oh well, anybody can make a mistake. Follow the science wherever it may go.

899 people who got their COVID-19 vaccine at Times Square were given expired doses and need to get another shot

[news.yahoo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-20 03:07 by bleedingman.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 20, 2021 05:21

THE AGE --- 18 June 2021

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 20, 2021 05:35

THE AGE -- 20 June 2021

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...260261262263264265266267268269270...LastNext
Current Page: 265 of 344