Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...259260261262263264265266267268269...LastNext
Current Page: 264 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 16, 2021 15:33

Norway will have more than 90% of the adult population age 18 and up vaccinated at least once, by August. By October, the adults will be fully vaccinated. Per defintion, a disease affecting all people in a country, or in the world, is a pandemic.

The pandemic will be over country by country, as controlled by vaccine and border control. At one point, when the vaccination rate is 70% or more, and there is a certain control of the borders, the pandemic will be over in some countries.

Because there is a lack of vaccine, and/or a lacking interest of vaccination, it will take years for all countries in the world to get rid of the pandemic. The new corona virus will be around, but less people will be affected, meaning there will no longer be a covid-19 pandemic.

What is the meaning of pandemic?

According to WHO, pandemic means the 'worldwide spread of a new disease'. Pandemic originated from Greek word pandemos which means a disease that affects 'all people'. In simple words, any new disease that has spread across a country, continent or around the world can be categorized as pandemic.

Bjornulf

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 16, 2021 15:42

daspyknows
For those not vaccinated this should motivate them. This does not just target old and fat people too.

From Business Insider

Oman reports new cases of black fungus in COVID-19 patients following 'epidemic' of the infection in India

Mucorymycosis has been seen in patients with particularly severe cases of COVID-19.
The fungal infection has a high mortality rate, requiring the removal of infected tissue.
Doctors in Oman have encountered at least three COVID-19 patients with "black fungus," the AP said.
Doctors in Oman, a small nation on the Arabian Peninsula, have encountered at least three COVID-19 patients with "black fungus," the Associated Press reported Tuesday.

The fungal infection, known as mucorymycosis, can be fatal. The news comes as Oman faces a surge in coronavirus cases brought about, in part, by the fact that more than 90% of its population has not yet been vaccinated, according to the AP report.

According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, people with severe cases of COVID-19 "are particularly vulnerable to bacterial and fungal infections." The use of "high-dose corticosteroids and tocilizumab," a monoclonal antibody, can also predispose patients to infection from fungal spores.

Signs of infection include black lesions on the nose or inside the mouth, according to the CDC.

The problem of black fungus has been particularly acute in India, where several states have declared it an epidemic amid the spread of a coronavirus variant officially known as B.1.617, but more recently renamed Delta, that appears to be more contagious than the original. As Insider has reported, black fungus has a 50% mortality rate "and requires all infected tissues to be removed for patients to have a fighting chance

[www.msn.com]?

Good lord. I wonder if this is just peculiar to the delta variant? Seems like it otherwise you may have heard of this symptom before.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 16, 2021 15:47

steffialicia
Hate to say it but I'm losing hope for a late summer/fall tour in the US. Too many not being vaccinated. Some states are doing very well. Others are not. I read the other day that Florida is only 42% fully vaccinated.

Perhaps the Stones will tailor their dates around those cities that have a higher vaccination-rate. That could be a way to ensure some performances. Proof of a negative test is something that could be considered, also.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: June 16, 2021 15:57

steffialicia
Hate to say it but I'm losing hope for a late summer/fall tour in the US. Too many not being vaccinated. Some states are doing very well. Others are not. I read the other day that Florida is only 42% fully vaccinated.

Tennessee is probably right there with Florida, too. However, the US is over 64%. Depends on where you draw the line. Most likely, the actual cities the venues are in, have higher vaccination rates than the states they’re in. And, people come from all over the country to see The Stones. A more accurate picture could be painted if we knew the percentage of vaccinated Stones fans.

Although I understand your alarm, I’m sure you can see my point.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: June 16, 2021 16:07

NashvilleBlues
steffialicia

Tennessee is probably right there with Florida, too. However, the US is over 64%. Depends on where you draw the line. Most likely, the actual cities the venues are in, have higher vaccination rates than the states they’re in. And, people come from all over the country to see The Stones. A more accurate picture could be painted if we knew the percentage of vaccinated Stones fans.

Although I understand your alarm, I’m sure you can see my point.

I can see your point. It would be hughly helpful to have Stones fans' vaccination status.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-16 16:22 by steffialicia.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: June 16, 2021 17:09

Big Al
steffialicia

Perhaps the Stones will tailor their dates around those cities that have a higher vaccination-rate. That could be a way to ensure some performances. Proof of a negative test is something that could be considered, also.

The opposite of the Clapton tour.

Date: June 16, 2021 17:14

treaclefingers
daspyknows
For those not vaccinated this should motivate them. This does not just target old and fat people too.

From Business Insider

Oman reports new cases of black fungus in COVID-19 patients following 'epidemic' of the infection in India

Mucorymycosis has been seen in patients with particularly severe cases of COVID-19.
The fungal infection has a high mortality rate, requiring the removal of infected tissue.
Doctors in Oman have encountered at least three COVID-19 patients with "black fungus," the AP said.
Doctors in Oman, a small nation on the Arabian Peninsula, have encountered at least three COVID-19 patients with "black fungus," the Associated Press reported Tuesday.

The fungal infection, known as mucorymycosis, can be fatal. The news comes as Oman faces a surge in coronavirus cases brought about, in part, by the fact that more than 90% of its population has not yet been vaccinated, according to the AP report.

According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, people with severe cases of COVID-19 "are particularly vulnerable to bacterial and fungal infections." The use of "high-dose corticosteroids and tocilizumab," a monoclonal antibody, can also predispose patients to infection from fungal spores.

Signs of infection include black lesions on the nose or inside the mouth, according to the CDC.

The problem of black fungus has been particularly acute in India, where several states have declared it an epidemic amid the spread of a coronavirus variant officially known as B.1.617, but more recently renamed Delta, that appears to be more contagious than the original. As Insider has reported, black fungus has a 50% mortality rate "and requires all infected tissues to be removed for patients to have a fighting chance

[www.msn.com]?

Good lord. I wonder if this is just peculiar to the delta variant? Seems like it otherwise you may have heard of this symptom before.

This one seems to be new with the Delta variant that started in India. There are a number of new nasty symptoms relating to blood clots leading to gangrene and digestive issues. Whether this is specific to India and their health system remains to be seen. I am sure we will know if a month or two. It appears this variant is now 10% of US cases and is more transmissible.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 16, 2021 19:36

Big Al
steffialicia

Since it was stated "stadiums have been booked" a couple of weeks ago by bv, seems a bit late to start changing the itinerary. They could cancel a few and keep a few others, but then will it be worth all the trouble for them? Maybe they can add a few more shows in different cities to replace the ones they dropped, but time is of the essence if they hope for a late summer/fall tour of the US. As for proof of vaccination - what about the fans who have already bought tickets who are not vaccinated, and don't plan to be? Will they now be given the ultimatum of no proof/no entry? That could open a can of worms of legal issues. The main hope is that the percentages of people getting vaccinated grows higher, but the demand has been in a slow decline for the past couple of months - even with the incentives of free donuts, beer, guns, burgers, dream vacations, and lotteries.
The Stones and their army of experts are no doubt keeping a close eye on every detail, and as was mentioned previously GlimmerGirl24 , it hasn't been deemed safe enough which has caused a delay in the announcement. Still check the tour thread each morning for any updates, but like today when the thread has dropped so far down the list, and the last post was ten hours ago...well..that itself seems to say alot. Along with steffialicia, I'm beginning to lose hope (again) for a late summer/fall tour in the US, but that said, miracles can happen maybe...gotta keep hoping.

EDIT: And then there's stories like this that tell the reality of it all:

From CNN:

Cases of a dangerous Covid-19 variant are 'rapidly increasing' in US, expert says

Coronavirus

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-16 19:58 by Hairball.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: June 16, 2021 20:49

The USA are pretty unique when it comes to legal issues. For the Stones I could be equally annoying ... fans who already have tickets, but not allowed to get in without vaccination proof ... or vaccinated fans going to court when they find out they are infected with Covid-any Greek character during a Stones concert ... (and as such putting others in danger).

It may be better to wait until the Covid-alpha, beta, gamma, delta, (ipsylon?) storm is really over. Okay, a small breeze should be okay, I'd say.
But ... if the Stones decide to go ahead, well, what choice do I have? Just get me an available concert ticket to any place in the USA (but preferably the West cool smiley)

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: June 17, 2021 05:39

georgie48
The USA are pretty unique when it comes to legal issues. For the Stones I could be equally annoying ... fans who already have tickets, but not allowed to get in without vaccination proof ... or vaccinated fans going to court when they find out they are infected with Covid-any Greek character during a Stones concert ... (and as such putting others in danger).

It may be better to wait until the Covid-alpha, beta, gamma, delta, (ipsylon?) storm is really over. Okay, a small breeze should be okay, I'd say.
But ... if the Stones decide to go ahead, well, what choice do I have? Just get me an available concert ticket to any place in the USA (but preferably the West cool smiley)

If you're vaccinated who cares? Low chance of catching, and lower chance of hospitalization and even lower chance of death.
How much stuff have you avoided after you got the flu shot?

Date: June 17, 2021 05:46

kovach
georgie48

If you're vaccinated who cares? Low chance of catching, and lower chance of hospitalization and even lower chance of death.

Would rather be careful. One bout of Covid was enough for me. I will go to shows where the majority of the people are vaccinated AND will wear a mask. Shows in states like Florida or Georgia no thanks.

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: June 17, 2021 05:53

Hate to be bearer of bad news for you but people are not wearing masks in Northeast west or south sorry. Was in Boston 2weeks ago
Vegas this week.

Date: June 17, 2021 06:02

From CNN:

How worried should you be about the Delta variant?

Delta

The Covid news is contradictory. The country is more open every day and getting back to normal. People who want a vaccine should already have it. Sports stadiums are packed. Airlines are full. Restaurants are booked.
But as the US passes 600,000 confirmed Covid deaths, there are also warnings about the rise of a new Covid strain, the Delta variant, taking over in the US. It's hard to understand how worried to be.
I went over to the CNN Health team, which has been writing about this nonstop, and here's what I came away with. All of what's below comes from their reporting.

What is the "Delta variant"? Officially the B.1.617.2 variant, it was first detected in India in February and has now spread across the globe. Some fear it could overwhelm health care systems and reverse reopening plans before vaccinations take hold. It's likely behind a deadly Covid wave this spring in India.

Why is it called the Delta variant? It's kind of like naming storms. Variants all have scientific names -- B.1.617.2, for instance. But those numbers and letters don't roll off the tongue, so they were for some time also known by their countries of origin. The UK and South Africa variants, for instance. The Delta variant would have been the India variant. In an effort to destigmatize countries associated with variants, the World Health Organization in May changed its designations to the Greek alphabet. The UK variant became the Alpha variant. In addition to four variants of concern, there are six variants of interest to the WHO and they have all been given Greek letters.

How does the Delta variant compare with other variants? It is more contagious, perhaps 60% more contagious than the Alpha variant, which was responsible for a surge in Michigan this spring.

How worried is the US government? The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has labeled the Delta variant a "variant of concern," which means scientists think it is more transmissible or may cause a more serious version of the disease. The WHO made a similar determination in May, as the Delta variant was tearing through India.

How prevalent is the Delta variant in the US? It accounted for 9.9% of US cases as of June 5, according to the CDC. By Sunday it accounted for 10.3% of cases, according to the website outbreak.info, which tracks variants. The Delta variant could be the dominant strain in the US within a month.

Do vaccines work against the Delta variant? Yes, but there is a catch. People who are fully vaccinated seem to have good protection against it. But people who have gotten only one shot of a two-dose vaccine do not.

How many Americans are vaccinated? Nearly 45% of Americans are fully vaccinated. It is looking increasingly unlikely that the US will meet President Joe Biden's goal of vaccinating 70% of eligible Americans by July Fourth.
What used to be a divide has turned into a chasm between states with high rates of vaccination (Vermont is at more than 63% fully vaccinated) and those with low rates of vaccination (Mississippi is less than 30%).

There's wild variation within states. Bay Area counties in California are near or exceed 60% vaccination. Many Central Valley counties are well below 40%.
Miami-Dade County in Florida is at 50% fully vaccinated. Many Panhandle counties in the northern part of the state are at less than 30%.
See where your state and county land.

We are living a vaccination experiment. Vaccines stop the spread. This report Wednesday from CNN's Health team is both the most obvious thing in the world and also worth doing to combat vaccine ambivalence:
A CNN analysis found that states that have fully vaccinated more than half of their residents tend to have lower-than-average case rates that are trending down, while states that have vaccinated less than half of their residents had higher average case rates. ...Among states that have fully vaccinated more than half of their residents, the average case rate was about 24% lower, at about 20 cases per 100,000 people. But among states that have vaccinated less than 35% of their residents, the average was about 41 new cases per 100,000 people -- about 1.6 times higher than the US rate and more than double the average rate among states that have fully vaccinated more than half of their residents.

Exceptions to the rule. Not every state follows this trend. Washington state has fully vaccinated more than half of its adult population, but still has one of the highest US case rates over the past week. Tennessee has one of the lowest case rates despite just about a third of residents being fully vaccinated.

One coming issue is the vaccination of children under 12. The Food and Drug Administration's vaccine advisers debated the pros and cons last week. There is concern about a very few reports of myocarditis -- a heart inflammation -- in less than 1 in a million vaccinated young people. People 12 and over should still get vaccinated. But because of those reports, and the sensitive nature of vaccinating children, there is disagreement among FDA advisers over how fast to grant emergency use authorization for Covid vaccine in those under 12.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 17, 2021 06:25

treaclefingers
daspyknows

From Business Insider

[www.msn.com]?

The wording is a bit odd. How can one be "predisposed" if it hasn't been disposed yet? If an outcome is predetermined, then I guess it's correct regarding the "pre" part - it hasn't been determinED yet.

If I choose to swallow something deathly, is it predetermined or determined that it will kill me? As in, gee, the "ed" in determined" already establishes the results.

To put it absurdly obvious, if someone was to say, The Stones were the GRARBITW pre-Brown Sugar, then it's obvious that anything Brown Sugar-post sucks (or... something).

What a weird world of language and its deformation of usage. Nobody said in 1987, "I prepaid tickets for U2!" it was "I bought tickets for U2!"

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: June 17, 2021 10:07

kovach
georgie48

You're right. After the flu shot (once a year) I, like many I guess, go on with daily life as usual. Last year November I also had a flu shot, but was already in Covid protection mode. The only thing I thought was that by having the flu shot, my body was already "forced" to make antibodies. Not antibodies for Covid, but still, the "machine" was being "oiled", in other words, not sleeping. As of May 12 I'm fully Phizered.
But I also want to say, that the worst post WW2 flu was 10 times less deadly than Covid, which make quite a difference in my mindsetting. I would not enter a space filled with a deadly gas, even when having the best high quality gas mask available. I also would not eat Japanese Blowfish, even if it's prepared by the best Japanese masterchef winking smiley Knowing about the depth of IT security (you don't really want to know ...) makes you think twice in what way you (want to) use Internet, mobile phone IT communication, etc. Nothing is perfect, but fooling yourself while fed with pre-knowledge, would really make a fool of your(read: my)self.
smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 17, 2021 13:22

treaclefingers
daspyknows

From Business Insider

[www.msn.com]?

The account for this that I have seen in the Australian media is....

When the Pandemic was at a recent high in India there was a catastrophic shortage of Oxygen to use with patients who were short of breath and/or were on ventilators.

So rightly concerned family members went out and procured cylinders of Oxygen and started to use those - manytime getting the cylinders for the hospitals because they were overwhelmed.

Unfortunately there's Oxygen and there's Oxygen. :-)

Hospitals use 'medical grade' Oxygen that I assume has been extra sterilised (good, given that it's being pumped direct into lungs). Other sources - eg industry for Oxy-Acetylene - simply use oxygen simply extracted from the air and bottled along with everything else grabbed at the same time. ie Not clean.

So the story is that the Fungus is a result of using crap Oxygen.

It's associated with the Delta variant because that's the variant that exploded in India and caused the recent carnage.

It is associated with it, but is not caused by it (I am led to believe).

There's an outbreak in Australia of Delta and no (public) reports of this fungus. Equally there are 9,000 cases per day in the UK, mainly Delta, and I've not seen any reports of it from there.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: June 17, 2021 17:52

georgie48
kovach
georgie48

You're right. After the flu shot (once a year) I, like many I guess, go on with daily life as usual. Last year November I also had a flu shot, but was already in Covid protection mode. The only thing I thought was that by having the flu shot, my body was already "forced" to make antibodies. Not antibodies for Covid, but still, the "machine" was being "oiled", in other words, not sleeping. As of May 12 I'm fully Phizered.
But I also want to say, that the worst post WW2 flu was 10 times less deadly than Covid, which make quite a difference in my mindsetting. I would not enter a space filled with a deadly gas, even when having the best high quality gas mask available. I also would not eat Japanese Blowfish, even if it's prepared by the best Japanese masterchef winking smiley Knowing about the depth of IT security (you don't really want to know ...) makes you think twice in what way you (want to) use Internet, mobile phone IT communication, etc. Nothing is perfect, but fooling yourself while fed with pre-knowledge, would really make a fool of your(read: my)self.
smileys with beer

Maybe we're turning a corner:

Daily Covid Deaths Nearing Daily Flu Deaths?

Date: June 17, 2021 17:52

CaptainCorella
treaclefingers
daspyknows

From Business Insider

[www.msn.com]?

The account for this that I have seen in the Australian media is....

When the Pandemic was at a recent high in India there was a catastrophic shortage of Oxygen to use with patients who were short of breath and/or were on ventilators.

So rightly concerned family members went out and procured cylinders of Oxygen and started to use those - manytime getting the cylinders for the hospitals because they were overwhelmed.

Unfortunately there's Oxygen and there's Oxygen. :-)

Hospitals use 'medical grade' Oxygen that I assume has been extra sterilised (good, given that it's being pumped direct into lungs). Other sources - eg industry for Oxy-Acetylene - simply use oxygen simply extracted from the air and bottled along with everything else grabbed at the same time. ie Not clean.

So the story is that the Fungus is a result of using crap Oxygen.

It's associated with the Delta variant because that's the variant that exploded in India and caused the recent carnage.

It is associated with it, but is not caused by it (I am led to believe).

There's an outbreak in Australia of Delta and no (public) reports of this fungus. Equally there are 9,000 cases per day in the UK, mainly Delta, and I've not seen any reports of it from there.

Well, that certainly sounds plausible and logical. If that's the case, a bit of a relief then, except certainly a cautionary to not let the virus get out of control because then all bets are off.

Date: June 17, 2021 19:18

For all of those anti-vaxxers who think its like the flu. Enjoy.

From the NY Times

Many Post-COVID Patients Are Experiencing New Medical Problems, Study Finds
Pam Belluck

New York Times
June 15, 2021

Hundreds of thousands of Americans have sought medical care for post-COVID health problems that they had not been diagnosed with before becoming infected with the coronavirus, according to the largest study to date of long-term symptoms in COVID-19 patients.

The study, tracking the health insurance records of nearly 2 million people in the United States who contracted the coronavirus last year, found that one month or more after their infection, almost one-quarter — 23% — of them sought medical treatment for new conditions.

Those affected were all ages, including children. Their most common new health problems were pain, including in nerves and muscles; breathing difficulties; high cholesterol; malaise and fatigue; and high blood pressure. Other issues included intestinal symptoms; migraines; skin problems; heart abnormalities; sleep disorders; and mental health conditions like anxiety and depression.

Post-COVID health problems were common even among people who had not gotten sick from the virus at all, the study found. While nearly half of patients who were hospitalized for COVID-19 experienced subsequent medical issues, so did 27% of people who had mild or moderate symptoms and 19% of people who said they were asymptomatic.

“One thing that was surprising to us was the large percentage of asymptomatic patients that are in that category of long COVID,” said Robin Gelburd, president of FAIR Health, a nonprofit organization that conducted the study based on what it says is the nation’s largest database of private health insurance claims.

More than half of the 1,959,982 patients whose records were evaluated reported no symptoms from their COVID infection. Forty percent had symptoms but didn’t require hospitalization, including 1% whose only symptom was loss of taste or smell; only 5% were hospitalized.

Gelburd said the fact that asymptomatic people can have post-COVID symptoms is important to emphasize, so that patients and doctors can know to consider the possibility that some health issues may actually be aftereffects of the coronavirus. “There are some people who may not have even known they had COVID,” she said, “but if they continue to present with some of these conditions that are unusual for their health history, it may be worth some further investigation by the medical professional that they’re working with.”

The report, which will be posted publicly on Tuesday morning on the organization’s website, analyzed records of people diagnosed with COVID-19 between February and December 2020, tracking them until February 2021. It found that 454,477 people consulted health providers for symptoms 30 days or more after their infection. FAIR Health said the analysis was evaluated by an independent academic reviewer but was not formally peer-reviewed.

“The strength of this study is really its size and its ability to look across the range of disease severity in a diversity of age groups,” said Dr. Helen Chu, an associate professor of medicine and infectious diseases at the University of Washington School of Medicine, who was not involved in the report. “This is a hard study to do with that much data.”

The report “drives home the point that long COVID can affect nearly every organ system,” said Dr. Ziyad Al-Aly, chief of the research and development service at the VA St. Louis Health Care System, who was not involved in the new study.

“Some of these manifestations are chronic conditions that will last a lifetime and will forever scar some individuals and families,” added Al-Aly, who was an author of a large study published in April of lingering symptoms in COVID patients in the Department of Veterans Affairs health system.

In the new study, the most common issue for which patients sought medical care was pain — including nerve inflammation and aches and pains associated with nerves and muscles — which was reported by more than 5% of patients or nearly 100,000 people, more than a fifth of those who reported post-COVID problems. Breathing difficulties, including shortness of breath, were experienced by 3.5% of post-COVID patients.

Nearly 3% of patients sought treatment for symptoms that were labeled with diagnostic codes for malaise and fatigue, a far-reaching category that could include issues like brain fog and exhaustion that gets worse after physical or mental activity — effects that have been reported by many people with long COVID.

Other new issues for patients, especially adults in their 40s and 50s, included high cholesterol, diagnosed in 3% of all post-COVID patients, and high blood pressure, diagnosed in 2.4%, the report said. Al-Aly said such health conditions, which have not been commonly considered aftereffects of the virus, make it “increasingly clear that post-COVID or long COVID has a metabolic signature marked by derangements in the metabolic machinery.”

Relatively few deaths — 594 — occurred 30 days or more post-COVID, and most were among people who had been hospitalized for their coronavirus infection, the report found.

The study, like many involving electronic records, only addressed some aspects of the post-COVID landscape. It did not say when patients’ symptoms arose or how long the problems persisted, and it did not evaluate exactly when after infection patients sought help from doctors, only that it was 30 days or more.

The database included only people with private health insurance or Medicare Advantage, not those uninsured or covered by Medicare Parts A, B and D, Medicaid or other government health programs. Chu said people without insurance or with incomes low enough to qualify for Medicaid are often “more likely to have worse outcomes,” so the findings may understate the prevalence of some post-COVID health problems or may not represent the full picture.

In addition, diagnostic codes in electronic records are “only as good as what is documented by the provider who saw the patient,” said Chu, a co-author of a smaller study of post-COVID symptoms among patients at the University of Washington.

For example, neurological or cognitive issues like brain fog may be underreported because doctors may not find an appropriate diagnostic code or patients may not be seeking medical help for that specific issue, FAIR Health said.

It’s also possible that some people classified as having asymptomatic COVID-19 infections developed symptoms after they tested positive. And some people who received their first diagnosis of a medical issue like hypertension or high cholesterol post-COVID might have previously had those issues but never sought or received treatment.

Another limitation of the study is that it did not compare people who had COVID-19 with those who did not, making it unclear if rates of post-COVID symptoms were higher than in a more general population. Al-Aly’s study, which made such a comparison, found that between one and six months after becoming infected with the coronavirus, patients who’d had COVID had a 60% greater risk of death and a 20% greater chance of needing outpatient medical care than people who had not been infected.

The FAIR Health report excluded patients with certain serious or chronic preexisting conditions like cancer, kidney disease, HIV, liver disease and stroke because researchers said it would be difficult to separate their previous health status from post-COVID symptoms.

The report did not explore connections between other preexisting conditions patients had and their likelihood of developing post-COVID symptoms. But it said that people with intellectual disabilities or those with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia had a greater risk of dying 30 days or more after their infection.

Overall, experts said, the report’s findings underscore the widespread and varied nature of post-COVID symptoms.

“People with long COVID need multidisciplinary care,” said Al-Aly, “and our health systems should adapt to this reality and develop capacity to deal with these patients.”

Date: June 17, 2021 20:07

From the Insider:

The Delta variant might pose the biggest threat yet to vaccinated people

"The worst-case scenario is if Delta mutates into something completely different, a completely different animal,
and then our current vaccines are even less effective or ineffective,"
-Vivek Cherian

Delta

- The Delta variant appears to be more transmissible than any other coronavirus strain.
- Some experts worry the variant could result in more breakthrough cases in vaccinated people.
- Others are concerned that Delta could evolve even more dangerous mutations.

Scientists have long worried about a coronavirus variant that's more dangerous than the original virus in three key ways: It would be more transmissible, result in more serious illness, and evade protection from existing vaccines. "The nightmare here is a variant that checks off all three boxes," Bob Wachter, chair of the Department of Medicine at the University of California, San Francisco, told Insider. No prior variant, he said, has checked more than one or two. But the Delta variant, first identified in India in February, has come closest to checking all three. "The data today says that this variant gets a full checked box for more infectious, probably gets a checked box for more serious, and at least gets a partial checked box for immune evasion. And that's scary," Wachter said.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention labeled Delta a "variant of concern" on Tuesday. "Delta is a superspreader variant, the worst version of the virus we've seen," Eric Topol, director of the Scripps Research Translational Institute, wrote Tuesday on Twitter. While Delta undoubtedly poses the biggest threat to unvaccinated people, some experts worry that it may result in more breakthrough infections: cases of COVID-19 diagnosed at least two weeks after someone is fully vaccinated. "That's the concern — that you're more likely to get COVID from the same exposure than you would have been before," Wachter said. "And you're more likely, if you have COVID, to have a more serious case." Other experts are also afraid the strain will further evolve into something more dangerous, since Delta's high transmissibility enables it to spread easily among unvaccinated people, and therefore to keep replicating and mutating. "The worst-case scenario is if Delta mutates into something completely different, a completely different animal, and then our current vaccines are even less effective or ineffective," Vivek Cherian, an internal-medicine physician in Baltimore, told Insider.

Delta is the most transmissible strain yet

Research from Public Health England suggests the Delta variant is associated with a 60% increased risk of household transmission compared to Alpha — the variant discovered in the UK. Alpha is already around 50% more transmissible than the original strain, according to the CDC. In other words, "Alpha is to the original as Delta is to Alpha," Wachter said. Researchers in Scotland, meanwhile, found that getting infected with Delta doubles the risk of hospital admission relative to Alpha. But for the most part so far, Delta hasn't drastically challenged vaccines. Public Health England analyses have found that two doses of Pfizer's vaccine are still 96% effective at preventing hospitalizations — and 88% at preventing symptomatic COVID-19 — from Delta cases. Two doses of AstraZeneca's vaccine, meanwhile, are around 92% effective at preventing hospitalizations and 60% effective at preventing symptomatic COVID-19 from Delta. But that efficacy does not come after just one dose: A single shot of either Pfizer's or AstraZeneca's vaccines were just 33% effective at preventing symptomatic COVID-19 from Delta. "The fact that three weeks after your first dose you're only 30% protected — versus, in the original, you were 80% — says that this thing has figured out how to at least partly evade the immune system," Wachter said. It's also possible, he added, that vaccine protection could "wear off more quickly."

Does Delta makes breakthrough infections more likely?

Although variants are responsible for the majority of breakthrough infections, it's very rare to get COVID-19 after being fully vaccinated: A May CDC report found that just 0.01% of vaccinated Americans got sick. Even when it comes to Delta, Cherian said, "my guess is you don't really have to worry about breakthrough infections." But Wachter worries that Delta could turn a mild breakthrough case into a more serious one. "It increases the risk that we're going to see more breakthrough infections and maybe more serious breakthrough infections than I would have worried about a few weeks ago," he said. The biggest risk may be for elderly or immunocompromised people, he added. "The 80-year-old who's been fully vaccinated — their level of immunity is not the same as a 30-year-old," Wachter said.

Delta could threaten our return to normal life

At the moment, Delta accounts for 10% of US coronavirus infections, but scientists expect it will become the dominant strain within weeks. Wachter said he would "start acting much more carefully" if Delta came to represent one out of every three or five COVID-19 cases in a given region. "If I had gotten comfortable with being inside without a mask in a place where I wasn't sure that everybody's vaccinated, I would now be uncomfortable," he added. Cherian, on the other hand, doesn't think Delta warrants that level of caution yet — though most experts still worry that a more concerning variant could arise out of the fast-mutating strain. "It is a perfectly human instinct to feel now we have weathered this terrible 18 months and now we are out of it and over it," Wachter said. "I hope that's true, and it may turn out to be true. But the chances of that not being true, and that we're going to have more in our future to deal with, have gone up considerably in the last few weeks because of Delta."

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 18, 2021 00:39

Way to win friends and influence people, Ricky. what an idiot. Venues and bands have the right to set the goalposts in any way they wish, barring racial discrimination, etc. Either get vaccinated or shut the hell up.

Ricky Schroder protests Foo Fighters show over vaccine mandate

"Dave Grohl is an ignorant punk who needs slapped for supporting Discrimination. Ignorance comes in all shapes & sizes," The Champ star wrote.

Speak for yourself, you has been.

[www.yahoo.com]

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: June 18, 2021 01:31

Herd immunity is simply not possible if ALL are vaccinated...FACT. Never had to show proof of Measles, Mumps, Chicken Pox, Polio, etc. etc. vaccines to get in anywhere before all this and I know a lot of people who NEVER received some of those. Grohl is a "has been" who would be nothing without Cobain...his music SUCKS to those of us not desperately trying to relive the grunge days. And don't even think about throwing award accolades about Grohl at us all...Milli Vanilli won grammys too. So what.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 18, 2021 01:45

shadooby
Herd immunity is simply not possible if ALL are vaccinated...FACT. Never had to show proof of Measles, Mumps, Chicken Pox, Polio, etc. etc. vaccines to get in anywhere before all this and I know a lot of people who NEVER received some of those. Grohl is a "has been" who would be nothing without Cobain...his music SUCKS to those of us not desperately trying to relive the grunge days. And don't even think about throwing award accolades about Grohl at us all...Milli Vanilli won grammys too. So what.

Let it play itself out. Might take a couple of years, but it will. Patience.

Date: June 18, 2021 06:57

bleedingman
Way to win friends and influence people, Ricky. what an idiot. Venues and bands have the right to set the goalposts in any way they wish, barring racial discrimination, etc. Either get vaccinated or shut the hell up.

"Dave Grohl is an ignorant punk who needs slapped for supporting Discrimination. Ignorance comes in all shapes & sizes," The Champ star wrote.

[www.yahoo.com]

what's a Ricky Schroeder? Just read that post on the Delta variant. Leaves you with a bit of an uncomfortable feeling knowing the efficiency of this variant and left unabated will no doubt lead to the Elipson variant and wait 'til we get to Omega.

The thing that concerns me is that it seems as though you're always going to have this core of people that doubles down on their theory this is just 'Co-Flu' and they keep the mutations coming. Will Pfizer figure out the vaccine for the Omega variant? Stay tuned and find out!

Date: June 18, 2021 07:13

treaclefingers
bleedingman

[www.yahoo.com]

what's a Ricky Schroeder? Just read that post on the Delta variant. Leaves you with a bit of an uncomfortable feeling knowing the efficiency of this variant and left unabated will no doubt lead to the Elipson variant and wait 'til we get to Omega.

The thing that concerns me is that it seems as though you're always going to have this core of people that doubles down on their theory this is just 'Co-Flu' and they keep the mutations coming. Will Pfizer figure out the vaccine for the Omega variant? Stay tuned and find out!

I trust Pfizer and Moderna on that. I will take the first booster, second booster and third booster. Eventually enough anti-vaxxers will get sick enough that people will change or die. This is called evolution.

Date: June 18, 2021 07:14

shadooby

You're stuck in the past with your regards to previous issues. It's 2021.

And your gripe about Dave Grohl?

No one is "tying to relive the grunge days." You sound like one of those people, I dunno, a boomer, that is stuck in the past. Dave Grohl is not a "has been".

Do you write for Fox News? Looks like it.

Date: June 18, 2021 07:18

daspyknows
treaclefingers
bleedingman

[www.yahoo.com]

I trust Pfizer and Moderna on that. I will take the first booster, second booster and third booster. Eventually enough anti-vaxxers will get sick enough that people will change or die. This is called evolution.

The essence of life is lost on some people. When their Tucker Carlson comes out, well... Darwin.

Date: June 18, 2021 08:09

GasLightStreet
shadooby

You're stuck in the past with your regards to previous issues. It's 2021.

And your gripe about Dave Grohl?

No one is "tying to relive the grunge days." You sound like one of those people, I dunno, a boomer, that is stuck in the past. Dave Grohl is not a "has been".

Do you write for Fox News? Looks like it.

I agree he is a covidiot.

If you want to go to elementary school you need to have mumps, measles and rubella vaccinations. There are religious exemptions but stupidity is not a religion. So Dave Grohl is a has been but Van Morrison isn't. Try again.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 18, 2021 12:55

shadooby
Herd immunity is simply not possible if ALL are vaccinated...FACT.

Please don't get me wrong, but I simply do not understand that sentence.

Is there a word missing? What am I not getting about the meaning??

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: June 18, 2021 13:13

CaptainCorella
shadooby
Herd immunity is simply not possible if ALL are vaccinated...FACT.

Please don't get me wrong, but I simply do not understand that sentence.

Is there a word missing? What am I not getting about the meaning??

Is there a meaning?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...259260261262263264265266267268269...LastNext
Current Page: 264 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2177
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home