Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...204205206207208209210211212213214...LastNext
Current Page: 209 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 31, 2021 22:21

Sorry to hear this.
Hoping for the best for this legend.

British health service hero Captain Tom in hospital with Covid-19

British centenarian Captain Tom Moore, who raised millions of pounds for the NHS by walking laps of his garden in last year's lockdown, has been admitted to hospital after testing positive for Covid-19, his daughter has said.

The World War Two veteran caught the imagination of the British public last April, just before his 100th birthday, when he was filmed doing laps with the help of a walking frame around his garden in the village of Marston Moretaine, north of London.

He hoped to raise £1,000 pounds.
Instead, he raised more than £30 million for the National Health Service, broke two Guinness world records, was knighted by Queen Elizabeth, scored a No. 1 single, wrote an autobiography and helped set up a charity.

"I wanted to update everybody that today ... my father was admitted to hospital," his daughter, Hannah Ingram-Moore, said on Twitter.

"Over the last few weeks he was being treated for pneumonia and last week tested positive for Covid-19. He was at home with us until today when he needed additional help with his breathing. He is being treated in a ward, although he is not in ICU (intensive care unit)," she said.

She said he had been receiving "remarkable" medical care in the past few weeks.

The family knew the staff at Bedford Hospital would do all they could to make him comfortable and "hopefully return home as soon as possible", she added.

Britain has vaccinated nearly nine million people against the coronavirus, with the over-80s in one of the top priority groups. But Sky News quoted a family representative as saying Moore had not yet received a vaccine because he was being treated for pneumonia.
[www.rte.ie]

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: January 31, 2021 22:28

Get well soon, Captain Tom! The whole world loves you.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: January 31, 2021 23:03

I second the get-well wishes to Captain Tom - a legend indeed.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: February 1, 2021 00:24

Oh, no! C’mon Captain, you’ve got one more miracle in you! Get well soon.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: February 1, 2021 00:34

I know that all of the publicity seems to refer to this gentleman as 'Captain Tom Moore', but actually he's been promoted, and he's been Knighted.

So he's really General Sir Tom Moore.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-01 00:34 by CaptainCorella.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 1, 2021 01:22

THE AGE -- 1 February 2021

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 1, 2021 12:27

CaptainCorella
I know that all of the publicity seems to refer to this gentleman as 'Captain Tom Moore', but actually he's been promoted, and he's been Knighted.

I can't find any news article stating he's been promoted to General. Isn't Major the next step, anyway? Quite ridiculous. I'm sure even he's a little embarrassed. The knighthood, I am aware of.

Date: February 1, 2021 13:01

He was made the first honorary colonel of the Army Foundation College.

"As an honorary colonel, his official title will be Captain Sir Thomas Moore under Ministry of Defence protocol."

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Date: February 1, 2021 13:14

Beast
He was made the first honorary colonel of the Army Foundation College.

"As an honorary colonel, his official title will be Captain Sir Thomas Moore under Ministry of Defence protocol."

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Thanks, Beast.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 1, 2021 14:55

CaptainCorella

That may be officially true, but he's universally known as Captain Tom (which means the next promotion would make him Major Tom...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-01 14:58 by Green Lady.

Date: February 1, 2021 22:58

THE AUSTRALIAN -- 2 February 2021

ROCKMAN

Date: February 1, 2021 23:30

THE AUSTRALIAN -- 2 February 2021

ROCKMAN

Date: February 1, 2021 23:53

THE AGE --- 2 February 2021

ROCKMAN

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: February 2, 2021 06:07

Green Lady
CaptainCorella

That may be officially true, but he's universally known as Captain Tom (which means the next promotion would make him Major Tom...)

So, not calling him Colonel, but Captain, but Major Tom would, of course, have been a bit of an oddity. :-)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: February 2, 2021 11:51

It's the old attitude of "It won't happen to me, it's always someone else" are how people all around the world are going about this covid19 thing the wrong way

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Date: February 2, 2021 14:43

U.S. Hits Pandemic Milestone With More Vaccinated Than Cases

More Americans have received at least one dose of a Covid-19 vaccine than have tested positive for the virus, an early but hopeful milestone in the race to end the pandemic.
As of Monday afternoon, 26.5 million Americans had received one or both doses of the current vaccines, according to data compiled by the Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker.

Since the first U.S. patient tested positive outside of Seattle a year ago, 26.3 million people in the country have tested positive for the disease, and 443,000 have died, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

The U.S. has been administering shots at a faster daily rate than any country in the world, giving about 1.34 million doses a day, according to data gathered by Bloomberg. While the rollout stumbled in its early days, in the six weeks since the first shots went into arms almost 7.8% of Americans have gotten one or more doses, and 1.8% are fully vaccinated.

“It’s worth noting that today, for the first time, the data said that more people were vaccinated than were reported as newly diagnosed cases,” said Paula Cannon, a professor of microbiology at the University of Southern California’s Keck School of Medicine. “That’s worth celebrating. I’m all for that win.”
[www.bloomberg.com]

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: February 2, 2021 15:17

MisterDDDD
U.S. Hits Pandemic Milestone With More Vaccinated Than Cases

More Americans have received at least one dose of a Covid-19 vaccine than have tested positive for the virus, an early but hopeful milestone in the race to end the pandemic.
As of Monday afternoon, 26.5 million Americans had received one or both doses of the current vaccines, according to data compiled by the Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker.

Since the first U.S. patient tested positive outside of Seattle a year ago, 26.3 million people in the country have tested positive for the disease, and 443,000 have died, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

The U.S. has been administering shots at a faster daily rate than any country in the world, giving about 1.34 million doses a day, according to data gathered by Bloomberg. While the rollout stumbled in its early days, in the six weeks since the first shots went into arms almost 7.8% of Americans have gotten one or more doses, and 1.8% are fully vaccinated.

“It’s worth noting that today, for the first time, the data said that more people were vaccinated than were reported as newly diagnosed cases,” said Paula Cannon, a professor of microbiology at the University of Southern California’s Keck School of Medicine. “That’s worth celebrating. I’m all for that win.”
[www.bloomberg.com]

Still waiting in Florida. It's an absolutely awful system in my area.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: February 2, 2021 15:49

Second wave has peaked and the vaccine is being accelerated. So room for optimism.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: February 2, 2021 15:59

wonderboy
Second wave has peaked and the vaccine is being accelerated. So room for optimism.

Yes I agree we should be very optimistic about this year.Things are very tough in many places around the world right now but with the vaccines being rolled out this virus will be beaten into submission and will not be a burden on health systems.The second half of this year will look much much better than any point previously during this pandemic.

Nate

Date: February 2, 2021 18:16

Date: February 2, 2021 18:17

We must’ve posted simultaneously, MisterDDDD!

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: February 2, 2021 20:14

Awesome news the BBC are reporting that the Oxford vaccine drastically reduces transmission.

Nate

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: February 2, 2021 22:42

There’s certainly cause for cautious optimism on the vaccine front. We won’t truly know how effective they are until the entire population has been vaccinated. Normality ( a very modified normality with much more home working) will slowly return as restrictions are slowly lifted and the effect on positive test and death rates carefully monitored. My concern is that people will treat vaccination like switching a light back on and it ain’t quite so simple or even close!

I do think there are a few twists and turns ahead with new mutations evolving all the time and evidence that the vaccines may be less effective against them. But they too will be overcome in time.

Big crowd events will certainly be the very last thing to return- everyone attending will have to prove vaccination which will cause big delays in crowds entering. International travel will probably be limited for a while too. I would not be shocked if Miami 2019 proves to be the Stones’ final show. I do of course hope that it wasn’t.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: February 3, 2021 01:02

Why Are So Many Health Care Workers Resisting the Covid Vaccine?

[www.newyorker.com]

Date: February 3, 2021 01:28

Nate
Awesome news the BBC are reporting that the Oxford vaccine drastically reduces transmission.

Nate

Very encouraging news. I had a first dose of the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine today. It came as a surprise as I had not been expecting to get any vaccine before late March, but they seem to be forging ahead with the schedule.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: February 3, 2021 02:03

A 2nd mutant virus is spreading in England.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 3, 2021 02:07

stickyfingers101

[www.newyorker.com]

You can read it in the article.................

Chance doesn’t want a coronavirus vaccine. (Because it’s not known how long naturally acquired immunity lasts, the C.D.C. recommends that people who have already had the virus still get vaccinated.) I asked her how she has come to believe that one vaccine saved her life but another threatens her health. The vaccine “came out too fast,” she said. “I think they removed a lot of barriers to get it done faster.” She continued, “It’s not that I don’t believe they’re trying to do a good job. I think they have awesome scientists working really hard. I applaud them for doing what they’re doing. I just don’t believe there’s been enough research yet. There’s no way they’ve been studying it for long enough.” Beyond the speed of development, Chance has questions—about how long vaccine-generated immunity lasts, about how serious the long-term side effects might be, and about what could happen if the virus mutates further. Until these questions are answered to her satisfaction, she has no plans to get immunized. “I’m not saying never,” Chance told me. “I’m just saying not now.”

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: February 3, 2021 02:10

stickyfingers101

[www.newyorker.com]

So i was visiting my 80 year old mom who got her first shot, and the assistant in the room says she's gonna wait a while to see long term affects.

What are you gonna do. :-(

I also have a friend who's in management of a hospital group in my city who wasn't predicted to get his shot until maybe March or April. He got it in December because so many in the front lines declined. I can't explain it.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 3, 2021 03:15

I heard last week that the long delayed new James Bond film has been postponed again to October due to theaters being shuttered,
But now I've been told by a friend of a friend who works in the business in Hollywood that ALL cinematic releases of 2021 have been postponed.
Not sure of all the details, but doesn't sound very good no matter how you look at it, and how it relates to other forms of entertainment - specifically live concerts.

As for the Bond movie, from Reuters Jan 22:

James Bond movie 'No Time to Die' delayed again amid pandemic

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The global release of the James Bond movie “No Time to Die” was postponed to October from April, its producers said,
another setback for movie theaters trying to rebuild a business crushed by the coronavirus pandemic. The movie’s new debut date is Oct. 8, according to an announcement on the James Bond website and Twitter feed.

“No Time to Die”, from MGM and Comcast Corp’s Universal Pictures, had originally been set to hit the big screen in April 2020 before moving to November 2020 and then April 2021.
The film, which cost an estimated $200 million to produce, marks actor Daniel Craig’s last outing as agent 007.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 3, 2021 03:42

Hairball
I heard last week that the long delayed new James Bond film has been postponed again to October due to theaters being shuttered,
But now I've been told by a friend of a friend who works in the business in Hollywood that ALL cinematic releases of 2021 have been postponed.

Damn. I was really hoping to go see GODZILLA VS KONG in a theatre!!!!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...204205206207208209210211212213214...LastNext
Current Page: 209 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1731
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home