Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...333334335336337338339340341342343...LastNext
Current Page: 338 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: January 13, 2022 23:23

smoking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 14, 2022 02:56

SomeTorontoGirl
treaclefingers
SomeTorontoGirl
treaclefingers
Damn...more bad news.

Seems in keeping with the last 2 years…

makes ya just wanna light up a spliff

Well, in that case, you may want those M&Ms.

I would go for the salty snack.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: January 14, 2022 10:14

An interesting article from CNBC:

[www.cnbc.com]

Should we treat Covid like the flu? Europe is slowly starting to think so

LONDON — There are growing calls in Europe for Covid-19 to be treated as an endemic illness like the flu despite strong warnings from global health officials that the pandemic is far from over.

Spain’s prime minister, Pedro Sanchez, is the latest European leader to stick his head above the parapet by suggesting it’s time to reevaluate Covid. He called on the EU to debate the possibility of treating the virus as an endemic illness.

“The situation is not what we faced a year ago,” Sanchez said in a radio interview with Spain’s Cadena SER on Monday, as Spanish schoolchildren returned to their classrooms after the holidays.

“I think we have to evaluate the evolution of Covid to an endemic illness, from the pandemic we have faced up until now,” he added. Sanchez said it was time to open the debate around a gradual reappraisal of the pandemic “at the technical level and at the level of health professionals, but also at the European level.”

Sanchez’s comments mark something of a departure from fellow leaders on the Continent, however, with most of them focused on the immediate challenge of tackling alarming numbers of Covid cases caused by the omicron variant, which is highly infectious but widely appearing to cause less severe illness more akin to a cold than the flu symptoms seen with earlier variants.

France, for example, has been reporting more than 300,000 new daily cases in recent days and Germany reported 80,430 new infections on Wednesday, the highest recorded in a single day since the pandemic began, according to Reuters.

Sanchez’s comments echo those made in the U.K. by politicians last year with Prime Minister Boris Johnson telling the British public that they would have to “learn to live with the virus.”

With that in mind, the British government has had to hold its nerve in recent weeks by not introducing new restrictions on the public, despite what Johnson described as a “tidal wave” of cases caused by omicron.

The U.K.’s Education secretary, Nadhim Zahawi, told the BBC on Sunday that the country was on the road “from pandemic to endemic” as the government said it could reduce the period of self-isolation for vaccinated people who test positive for Covid from seven days to five (as with the latest guidance in the U.S.) to alleviate staff absences in the workplace and the massive economic disruption caused by Covid.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-14 10:19 by Halup.

Date: January 14, 2022 10:25

From The Telegrapgh:

The Telegraph
Covid loses '90pc of its infectiousness within five minutes of being airborne'

Joe Pinkstone

Coronavirus loses 90 per cent of its infectiousness within five minutes of becoming airborne, a new study has suggested.

Preliminary data from the University of Bristol reveals that in a real world situation the conditions of the air dry out the viral particles.

The team measured how stable SARS-CoV-2 droplets – the virus which causes Covid – are over time, ranging from five seconds to 20 minutes.

“A decrease in infectivity to approximately 10 per cent of the starting value was observable for SARS-CoV-2 over 20 minutes, with a large proportion of the loss occurring within the first 5 minutes after aerosolisation,” the scientists write in the paper.

The findings indicate that the virus does not survive for long outside the warm and damp environment of a host's respiratory system, and loses its potency rapidly in the wild.

'Near instant loss of infectivity in 50 to 60pc of the virus'

The study, which has not yet been published in full or peer-reviewed, shows that in air with 50 per cent humidity, akin to that circulated in large buildings, there is a “near-instant loss of infectivity in 50 to 60 per cent of the virus”.

At much higher humidity, the droplet does not dry out instantly and remains fluid for longer, which means the virus remains stable and infectious for two minutes.

However, even under these favourable conditions the virus loses 90 per cent of its infectiousness after ten minutes.

“It means that if I’m meeting friends for lunch in a pub today, the primary [risk] is likely to be me transmitting it to my friends, or my friends transmitting it to me, rather than it being transmitted from someone on the other side of the room,” Prof Jonathan Reid, the study’s lead author from the University of Bristol, told The Guardian.

Prof Paul Hunter, professor in medicine at the University of East Anglia, said that the study suggests airborne spread “may not be as important as some have thought”.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 14, 2022 13:14

Double-fault: Visa revoked again, Djokovic faces deportation

By John Pye And Rod McguirkTh

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — Novak Djokovic faces deportation again after the Australian government revoked his visa for a second time, the latest twist in the ongoing saga over whether the No. 1-ranked tennis player will be allowed to compete in the Australian Open despite being unvaccinated for COVID-19.

Immigration Minister Alex Hawke said Friday he used his ministerial discretion to cancel the 34-year-old Serb’s visa on public interest grounds — just three days before play begins at the Australian Open, where Djokovic has won a record nine of his 20 Grand Slam titles.

Djokovic’s lawyers were expected to appeal at the Federal Circuit and Family Court, which they already successfully did last week on procedural grounds after his visa was first canceled when he landed at a Melbourne airport.

A hearing was scheduled for Friday night.

Deportation from Australia can lead to a three-year ban on returning to the country, although that may be waived, depending on the circumstances.

Hawke said he canceled the visa on “health and good order grounds, on the basis that it was in the public interest to do so.” His statement added that Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s government “is firmly committed to protecting Australia’s borders, particularly in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic.”

Morrison himself welcomed Djokovic’s pending deportation. The whole episode has touched a nerve in Australia, and particularly in Victoria state, where locals went through hundreds of days of lockdowns during the worst of the pandemic and there is a vaccination rate among adults of more than 90%.

Australia is currently facing a massive surge in virus cases driven by the highly transmissible omicron variant. On Friday, the nation reported 130,000 new cases, including nearly 35,000 in Victoria state. Although many infected people aren’t getting as sick as they did in previous outbreaks, the surge is still putting severe strain on the health system, with more than 4,400 people hospitalized. It’s also causing disruptions to workplaces and supply chains.

[www.thestar.com]

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 14, 2022 16:30

Today Friday Jan 14 the government in Norway opened up our country, following one month of restrictions due to Omicron uncertainty. I celebrated the day going to our local joint having a beer. From now on I am done with the pandemic.

Bjornulf

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 14, 2022 16:32

SomeTorontoGirl
Double-fault: Visa revoked again, Djokovic faces deportation

By John Pye And Rod McguirkTh

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — Novak Djokovic faces deportation again after the Australian government revoked his visa for a second time, the latest twist in the ongoing saga over whether the No. 1-ranked tennis player will be allowed to compete in the Australian Open despite being unvaccinated for COVID-19.

Immigration Minister Alex Hawke said Friday he used his ministerial discretion to cancel the 34-year-old Serb’s visa on public interest grounds — just three days before play begins at the Australian Open, where Djokovic has won a record nine of his 20 Grand Slam titles.

Djokovic’s lawyers were expected to appeal at the Federal Circuit and Family Court, which they already successfully did last week on procedural grounds after his visa was first canceled when he landed at a Melbourne airport.

A hearing was scheduled for Friday night.

Deportation from Australia can lead to a three-year ban on returning to the country, although that may be waived, depending on the circumstances.

Hawke said he canceled the visa on “health and good order grounds, on the basis that it was in the public interest to do so.” His statement added that Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s government “is firmly committed to protecting Australia’s borders, particularly in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic.”

Morrison himself welcomed Djokovic’s pending deportation. The whole episode has touched a nerve in Australia, and particularly in Victoria state, where locals went through hundreds of days of lockdowns during the worst of the pandemic and there is a vaccination rate among adults of more than 90%.

Australia is currently facing a massive surge in virus cases driven by the highly transmissible omicron variant. On Friday, the nation reported 130,000 new cases, including nearly 35,000 in Victoria state. Although many infected people aren’t getting as sick as they did in previous outbreaks, the surge is still putting severe strain on the health system, with more than 4,400 people hospitalized. It’s also causing disruptions to workplaces and supply chains.

[www.thestar.com]

Yep, the "party" isn't over yet. Even Japan jumped from 6000 to 12000 into 18000 infections in just 3 days ....

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-15 00:55 by georgie48.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 14, 2022 16:33

This evening we will hear if Holland will open Up

Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: January 14, 2022 18:14

bv
Today Friday Jan 14 the government in Norway opened up our country, following one month of restrictions due to Omicron uncertainty. I celebrated the day going to our local joint having a beer. From now on I am done with the pandemic.

Can you shut down this thread then?
There will be at least one Californian who won't have anything else to post but that's what we want...

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 14, 2022 18:36

nellcote'71
bv

There will be at least one Californian who won't have anything else to post but that's what we want...

Why so? The world is not done with the pandemic. Although bv may be, even Norway is not. Not yet.

Date: January 14, 2022 18:43

nellcote'71
bv

You live in a free country, but act like you're imprisoned within this thread.

You could also just get a life.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: January 14, 2022 18:44

nellcote'71
bv

Oh really? Some people don't know how to read.

Date: January 14, 2022 19:02

I am done with the pandemic personally, but the world around me is not...

Our health authorities say we will have a major wave ahead of us during the next 2-4 weeks. They are gradually opening up now, as the virus go all over. Most who get covid-19 do not get seriously ill. That is why I do not worry anymore. Life is too short to spend years worrying about a virus.

This thread will be open until after the next Stones tour is over. I am sure there will be issues with covid-19 many places around, for months, affecting the Stones tour plans. Also, I am sure many do want to talk about how live is where they are, even if some of us do not live with as many worries as in the past.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Iguanamom ()
Date: January 14, 2022 19:59

bv
I appreciate this post from you BV. I’ve got plans to go to Disneyland in 2 weeks & praying we’re on the downhill side of Omicron. These past years have taught us to remain flexible- a good strategy anytime! Also holding hope & keeping loose plans for the 60th in June in the UK.

Date: January 14, 2022 20:23

bv

This is something I have thought about. I'm pretty sure we feel the same way about it. I followed the restrictions and was/am careful. Everyone at some point either chooses to let the pandemic eat away at their soul, or they learn to live again.

Posted by: Putty ()
Date: January 14, 2022 20:34

We are just starting the Omicron wave in my country. So we have a few rough weeks coming up, but I’m completely ready to put the pandemic behind by mid February, with or without the virus collaboration. Cheers.

Date: January 14, 2022 21:26

According to WHO, as many as 50% of Europeans may get infected by Omicron during the next couple of months. Health authorities in Norway published a report Wednesday this week stating there is no way we may avoid Omicron. They recommended opening up, under control. Also, they say it is 70% less chance of hospitalization from Omicron vs Delta. They stated as many as 50,000 people i.e. 1% of our population might get covid-19 every day at the peak, expected in 2-3 weeks time in Norway. For other countries, it seems some may have reached the peak already.

Omicron could infect 50% of Europeans in next two months, says WHO
Europe director Hans Kluge demands immediate action to avoid Covid ‘tidal wave’ swamping health services
(The Guardian, Tue 11 Jan 2022)

Ukerapporter om koronavirus og covid-19 (Norwegian)
(FHI weekly report on Covid-19 in Norway Jan 12, 2022)

Bjornulf

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-14 21:30 by bv.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: January 14, 2022 22:36

SomeTorontoGirl

To date - 14th January 2022 - in the entire Pandemic there have been 1,533,156 total cases reported in Australia.

By 7th January 2022 (ie SEVEN days prior) there had been 769,753 cases.

That means that in the seven days between 7th January 2022 and 14th January 2022 we had as many cases as in the previous two years.

"Massive surge" - I think that's an understatement!!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 14, 2022 22:51

The big question for me now is whether individuals actively still ought to try to avoid covid infection or will do as good, maybe not directly seeking it, but still only let it happen, when omicron is the prevailing variant. If you are approaching an age, where age possibly may give some fragility among some, not others again, in this context, one might in that case think it better happen a comparatively short time after having received vaccine than at a later time with weakened protection from the vaccine. So much more if it is bound to happen sooner or later. Then all health authorities are worried about a resulting too large wave of pasients.

To some extent, however, from recent sayings there seems to be some disagreement on a few details here among health authorities in Norway. Now with omicron, it is considered by one authority as almost an advantage to combine both vaccines and a finished omicron infection. Even better protection is meant to be gained afterwards than by vaccines alone. From the other authority, though, it is objected that you do not necessarily obtain better protection against a possible omicron infection a second time or against potensial new mutants that may arise. The puzzling response from the former was then more or less to agree about that objection.

So myself I am quite in doubt whether I ought to continue to be as careful as I have been up to now or not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-14 22:53 by Witness.

Date: January 14, 2022 23:31

Over the past week, I’ve seen a lot of reporting regarding covid hospitalizations in the US, distinguishing between those people admitted due to having problems from covid versus those admitted for other reasons, like a broken arm, yet due to how widespread Omicron is, they are testing positive for covid through a routine check. I’ve seen from NBC Nightly News (this past Sunday), the Los Angeles Times and local LA tv news that in Los Angeles County, two thirds of covid hospitalizations are people admitted for another reason. That means only 33% of these people were admitted because of covid. They said a year ago, 80% of covid hospitalizations were admitted because of covid.

The NBC report said that New York City has over 50% of their covid hospitalizations being those who just happened to be infected. NBC interviewed doctors who said they feel the CDC needs to distinguish between those admitted with covid versus those admitted because of covid. To date, the hospitals just report daily how many new patients have covid. As far as this massive increase of hospitalized children, one hospital rep said they had 19 children with covid but only 4 of those were admitted because they had covid.

This data shows that while there are record numbers of people in hospitals that have covid, it’s not nearly as bad as one would think just hearing numbers. Doctors have said the biggest issue right now is having large amounts of staff out due to them catching covid.

On the local news, one report said that the recent increase in covid deaths was due to patients with Delta. As Omicron is now supposedly 98% of cases in the US, Delta seems to be getting pushed out, so if these recent deaths are mainly due to Delta, we should soon seen a big drop in deaths.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-14 23:34 by Halup.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: January 15, 2022 00:42

The ‘Mother of All’ Supply Shocks Lurks in China’s Covid Crackdowns

The world economy could be headed for the “mother of all” supply chain stumbles.

That’s the warning from HSBC economists who caution that if the highly infectious omicron variant which is already swamping much of the global economy spreads across Asia, especially China, then disruption to manufacturing will be inevitable. “Temporary, one would hope, but hugely disruptive all the same” in the next few months, they wrote in a research note this week.

Bloomberg

Date: January 15, 2022 01:22

Here’s a couple highlights from an LA Times article today:

Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer said Thursday she believes there are still people infected with the previously dominant Delta variant who have been dying in L.A. County’s hospitals.

“Many people are sick for quite a while and many are hospitalized for quite a while before they pass away, so it is likely that most of the deaths we are seeing are still related to Delta, although not entirely,” Ferrer said.

Dr. Rochelle Walensky, director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, expressed the same sentiment earlier this week.

"Given the sheer number of cases, we may see deaths from Omicron. But I suspect the deaths that we're seeing now are still from Delta," she said Wednesday.

She added: "We will need to follow those deaths over the next couple of weeks to see the impact of Omicron on mortality."

A preliminary study based on medical records from nearly 70,000 Kaiser Permanente Southern California patients “noted substantially reduced risk of severe clinical outcomes in patients who are infected with the Omicron variant compared with Delta,” Walensky said.

The study — which included more than 52,000 Omicron cases and nearly 17,000 Delta cases within the Kaiser system from Nov. 30 to Jan. 1 — found that, compared with patients infected with Delta, those who had Omicron were 53% less likely to be hospitalized with COVID-19, 74% less likely to be admitted to the intensive care unit, and 91% less likely to die of the disease.

Among patients who were hospitalized, the median length of stay was 1.5 days for patients infected with Omicron and five days for those who had Delta.

Date: January 15, 2022 01:39

More on cannabis study.

[www.greenstate.com]?

Date: January 15, 2022 02:15

daspyknows
More on cannabis study.

[www.greenstate.com]?

Not familiar with Greenstate. Is it reputable? Or is that why you put a “?” there?

Date: January 15, 2022 05:48

NashvilleBlues
daspyknows
More on cannabis study.

[www.greenstate.com]?

Not familiar with Greenstate. Is it reputable? Or is that why you put a “?” there?

It is affiliated with SF Chronicle. The ? was inadvertently copied from original link.

[mediabiasfactcheck.com]

Date: January 15, 2022 19:31

terraplane
The ‘Mother of All’ Supply Shocks Lurks in China’s Covid Crackdowns

The world economy could be headed for the “mother of all” supply chain stumbles.

That’s the warning from HSBC economists who caution that if the highly infectious omicron variant which is already swamping much of the global economy spreads across Asia, especially China, then disruption to manufacturing will be inevitable. “Temporary, one would hope, but hugely disruptive all the same” in the next few months, they wrote in a research note this week.

Bloomberg

Some of this is true to be sure, on the other hand it's also a bit of 'softening us up' for price increases.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: January 16, 2022 01:13

I read that inflation is the highest in 40 years in the U.S. so it must be getting tough there. We have a similar situation in Australia with marginal price increases and lots of empty shelves. Fortunately, I don't eat meat and most Aussies are not desperate enough yet to eat tofu, lentils, etc spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-16 01:18 by terraplane.

Date: January 16, 2022 09:54

Novak Djokovic: Tennis star to be deported after losing Australia visa appeal (BBC 16 January 2022)

Tennis star Novak Djokovic has lost his last-ditch court bid to stay in Australia and is set to be deported.

Judges rejected his appeal after the government cancelled the unvaccinated player's visa for a second time this month on public health grounds.

There has been much public anger in Australia over Djokovic's attempt to enter the country while unvaccinated.

The government has repeatedly said that no-one is above the strict rules in place to cope with the pandemic.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 16, 2022 10:42

I’m glad Djokovic is being deported. The arrogance of the man is breathtaking.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 16, 2022 10:57

Big Al
I’m glad Djokovic is being deported. The arrogance of the man is breathtaking.

Yes. Good on the Aussies for this one.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...333334335336337338339340341342343...LastNext
Current Page: 338 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2105
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home