Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...330331332333334335336337338339340...LastNext
Current Page: 335 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 5, 2022 20:14

NashvilleBlues
New variant from France: Flurona.

There's new variant from France, but 'flurona' is having Covid and Flu at the same time, which isn't a new variant, and was discovered in Israel first.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-05 20:15 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: January 5, 2022 20:17

My mistake. Sorry.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: January 5, 2022 20:19

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 5, 2022 21:12

NashvilleBlues
[www.nytimes.com]

I cannot read it without a subscription, but I assume that it is about the virus with the unofficial name IHU, and that was detected in France, but supposedly has an origin in Cameroon?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 5, 2022 21:20

NashvilleBlues
[www.nytimes.com]

A variant found in France is not a concern, the W.H.O. says. (New York Times Jan. 5, 2022)

The World Health Organization says that it is monitoring a coronavirus variant detected in a small number of patients in France, but that, for now, there is little reason to worry about its spread

The B.1.640.2 variant was first identified in October and uploaded to Gisaid, a database for disease variants, on Nov. 4. Only about 20 samples have been sequenced so far, experts said this week, and only one since early December.

Abdi Mahmud, a Covid incident manager with the W.H.O., told reporters in Geneva on Tuesday that the variant had been on the agency’s radar since November, but added that it did not appear to have spread widely over the past two months.

“That virus has had a lot of chances to pick up,” he said.

By contrast, the Omicron variant, which was first uploaded to Gisaid on Nov. 23, has more than 120,000 sequences in the database. (The vast majority of Omicron cases have not been sequenced.) It has been detected in at least 128 countries, according to the W.H.O., and is fueling record-high case numbers in many parts of the world.

Bjornulf

Date: January 6, 2022 01:46

No-vaxx Djokovic not allowed to enter Australia to play the Australian open.

You can't always get what you want.

[www.bbc.com]

"If you don't c sharp you'll b flat". - Muhammad Ali.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 6, 2022 02:17

TheflyingDutchman
No-vaxx Djokovic not allowed to enter Australia to play the Australian open.

You can't always get what you want.

[www.bbc.com]

Is Djokovic ill ? If not why can he not enter Australia are they nuts

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 6, 2022 02:29

NICOS

Is Djokovic ill ? If not why can he not enter Australia are they nuts

He’s unvaxed and tried to get in on a medical exemption. The entire country, tired of lockdowns, etc, damn near rioted at the thought of special treatment, as I understand it. Good on ya, Aussies.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 6, 2022 02:44

What did one cat say to the other while watching tennis ?

My brothers in that racket

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-06 02:47 by Rockman.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: January 6, 2022 03:56

When a vax status is more important than whether you have the actual disease then you are living in a cult.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: January 6, 2022 06:29

terraplane
When a vax status is more important than whether you have the actual disease then you are living in a cult.

Anti-vaxxers say such things.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 6, 2022 07:19

Witness
NashvilleBlues
[www.nytimes.com]

I cannot read it without a subscription, but I assume that it is about the virus with the unofficial name IHU, and that was detected in France, but supposedly has an origin in Cameroon?

I saw a ridiculous post by someone (not here) that said "All the Greek letters have been used" and my first thought was, They obviously don't live in a hurricane zone.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: January 6, 2022 08:28

daspyknows
terraplane

I don't know any anti-vaxxers so I couldn't say. I know many people who have taken the vax that would probably agree that it doesn't make a lot of sense that (for example) a vaxxed person with COVid can enter an eating establishment but an unvaxxed person without COVid can't.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: January 6, 2022 14:11

terraplane
daspyknows
terraplane

I don't know any anti-vaxxers so I couldn't say. I know many people who have taken the vax that would probably agree that it doesn't make a lot of sense that (for example) a vaxxed person with COVid can enter an eating establishment but an unvaxxed person without COVid can't.

oh come up. This comparison is somehow silly.
1. without a test you can't tell whether one of these persons or the other is infected
2. The chance that a fully vaxxed person gets infected is much lower than the change a non-vaxxed person gets infected
3. The chance that a fully vaxxed person who gets infected will have to go to hospital is much lower than etc.
4. Checking the vaccination status of people and ban them from entering restaurants etc. is a way to protect them from catching Covid and by protecting them to catch the disease it protects others who might get infected by them.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 6, 2022 16:38

#'s 2 and 4 above don't seem to apply as much with the omicron.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: January 6, 2022 18:44

Really? My understanding is that being fully vaccinated - i.e., both jabs and a booster - still provides more protection against omicron than no jabs (and vice versa, of course). I would agree with slewan's four points.

Date: January 6, 2022 18:56

If you are NOT VACCINATED then it is 10-15 times higher chance of going to hospital from covid-19 illness, as compared to those who are vaccinated.

If you are FULLY VACCINATED with two doses, you are protected from illness and serious problems related to covid-19, and you have a 35% protection from getting omicron.

If you BOOSTER VACCINATED with three doses, you are protected from illness and serious problems related to covid-19, and you have a 70% protection from getting omicron.

Vaccinated people are highly protected. They do not get seriously ill, and they do not fill up a lot of ICU beds in hospitals.

There will more and more requirements for a vaccine pass this winter, so with no vaccine you will be locked out from a lot of normal activity.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-06 20:31 by bv.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 6, 2022 19:12

bv
If you are FULLY VACCINATED with two doses, you are protected from illness and serious problems related to covid-19, but there is a 35% or so chance you may still get infected with the new omicron variant, in a mild way.

If you BOOSTER VACCINATED with three doses, you are protected from illness and serious problems related to covid-19, but there is a 70% or so chance you may still get infected with the new omicron variant, in a mild way.

This doesn't seem right, shouldn't it be the other way round?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 6, 2022 19:34

I read in a paper, a nurse had written; "It's quite peculiar; the same persons who have all these images in their head about the vaccine being so dangerous, have NO objections whatsoever when we are pumping all types of wierd drugs into them, desperatly trying to keep them breathing, when they are hospitalized for covid-19".

Date: January 6, 2022 19:35

Tomorrow the US Supreme Court will review the 2 components of Biden’s vaccine mandates:
1. All employees at health facilities that receive government funding (such as Medicare, Medicaid) must be vaccinated.
2. Employers with 100 or more employees must require employees to be vaccinated or test negative weekly and wear a mask on-site.

If they allow the requirements to stand there will be some pissed off people that will need to decide how important their job is to them.

Date: January 6, 2022 20:32

Nikkei
bv
If you are FULLY VACCINATED with two doses, you are protected from illness and serious problems related to covid-19, but there is a 35% or so chance you may still get infected with the new omicron variant, in a mild way.

If you BOOSTER VACCINATED with three doses, you are protected from illness and serious problems related to covid-19, but there is a 70% or so chance you may still get infected with the new omicron variant, in a mild way.

This doesn't seem right, shouldn't it be the other way round?

Sure I ment to say this:

If you are FULLY VACCINATED with two doses, you are protected from illness and serious problems related to covid-19, and you have a 35% protection from getting omicron.

If you BOOSTER VACCINATED with three doses, you are protected from illness and serious problems related to covid-19, and you have a 70% protection from getting omicron.

Bjornulf

Date: January 6, 2022 20:44

BAR A have 100 unvaccinated and 100 triple booster vaccinated persons - total of 200 people - getting drunk and singing and dancing all night. At least one of these are infected with Omicron.

BAR B have 0 - zero - unvaccinated and 200 triple booster vaccinated persons - total of 200 people - all vaccinated, getting drunk and singing and dancing all night. At least one of these are infected with Omicron.

What bar is the safest one, and what bar would send most people to hospital with covid-19 eventually?

Bjornulf

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 6, 2022 21:38

Erik_Snow
I read in a paper, a nurse had written; "It's quite peculiar; the same persons who have all these images in their head about the vaccine being so dangerous, have NO objections whatsoever when we are pumping all types of wierd drugs into them, desperatly trying to keep them breathing, when they are hospitalized for covid-19".

Yes, that is so interesting isn't it Erik.

There was actually a study commissioned on this, and the findings were startling.

Apparently, those people were deemed to be stupid.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 6, 2022 21:52

teleblaster
Really? My understanding is that being fully vaccinated - i.e., both jabs and a booster - still provides more protection against omicron than no jabs (and vice versa, of course). I would agree with slewan's four points.

Slewan didn't specifically mention Omicron. That's what I spoke to, and I stated "as much".

So a patient saw his doctor after not feeling well, got Covid tested and followed up with his doctor. Doctor asked patient if he wanted the good news or bad, patient said bad. She told him he had the Delta variant and needed to quarantine for 15 days. "The good news doctor?". Ah yes she said, I finally made it with my male nurse!!

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: January 7, 2022 01:47

daspyknows
You really think its the old uncle's choice to be exposed to a virus by some inconsiderate POS who comes to clean his house or do in home nursing care? Are you that oblivious to reality? I know the answer to that......

Many old timer care homes and services require the workers to be tested and/or vaccinated. I'm all for that, even if it doesn't guarantee uncle's safety from covid. But the restrictions/mandates get to be exaggerated when applied to all parts of society.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: January 7, 2022 02:44

Too many discussions. Vulnerable should be protected? Yes, shure. Hey, everyone can be killid by Covid. A lot of young and healthy ones now get infections and are in hospitals and need help of ICU. WHO is talkng about a tsunami of infections. So there will be more people getting very ill. It's simple maths.

Posted by: podiumboy ()
Date: January 7, 2022 02:46

I think most of you people underestimate how many people are living normal lives and don't focus too much on Covid. I am out there living my life at 2019 levels of normalcy. So is everybody else in my area. Most people I know are vaccinated, and realize that there's nothing else they can do except get back to normal life. That is the majority.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: January 7, 2022 03:18

podiumboy
I think most of you people underestimate how many people are living normal lives and don't focus too much on Covid. I am out there living my life at 2019 levels of normalcy. So is everybody else in my area. Most people I know are vaccinated, and realize that there's nothing else they can do except get back to normal life. That is the majority.

I agree with you but also have no issue wearing a mask, showing vaccination status and requiring others to do the same to reduce the risk to all.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 7, 2022 08:08

LA County reports 37,215 new COVID-19 cases, shattering previous record for daily infections

COVID19

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Los Angeles County Thursday reported the highest number of new COVID-19 cases ever recorded for a single day in the region. According to the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, there were 37,215 new positive COVID cases, shattering the previous record of 27,091 set last Friday. The county also reported 30 more COVID-related deaths on Thursday. Meanwhile, state figures showed there were 2,661 COVID-positive patients in county hospitals as of Thursday, up from 2,461 on Wednesday. The number of those patients being treated in intensive care units was 352 on Thursday, up from 330 a day earlier. The number of COVID-positive patients hasn't been that high since mid-February of 2021. But the number is still well shy of the peak of more than 8,000 reached last January, at the height of that winter's surge in virus infections.

As demand for tests continue, L.A. County placed its at-home testing program on pause. The county had been shipping free test kits to residents showing COVID-19 symptoms or to those who had been exposed to the virus. But the county put a temporary halt to the program Thursday as it tries to deal with a huge backlog in processing the kits. "The Department of Health Services that runs that program is rapidly switching to making those in-home test kits available at the county's testing sites," said county Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer. "Folks can either go to those sites and wait to get a test right there or they can go ahead and pick up one of those kits," Ferrer added. Ferrer said efforts are being made to expand the number of COVID testing sites.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 7, 2022 13:07

California prosecutor who campaigned against vaccine mandates dies of Covid

Kelly Ernby, who recently ran for the state assembly, was unvaccinated at the time of her death, husband says

A deputy district attorney from California who regularly spoke out against vaccine mandates has died of complications from Covid-19.

Kelly Ernby, 46, a prosecutor from Orange county, southern California, who recently ran for the state assembly, died after contracting the virus, her family and friends have said.

According to Ernby’s husband, Axel Mattias Ernby, Kelly Ernby was unvaccinated at the time of her death…

Full article: [www.theguardian.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...330331332333334335336337338339340...LastNext
Current Page: 335 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1333
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home