Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...323324325326327328329330331332333...LastNext
Current Page: 328 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 28, 2021 21:08

calipachangero
skytrench
Mass psychosis fueled by fear. I'm not saying Corona is harmless, but certainly not to the level it's brought up to.

The longer some cannot agree on this, the harder it'll be to come around.
That might be a very unpopular opinion on here, where full compliance with the official narrative is expected.

Please.

You can think whatever you like, and we can think you're bat-sh*t....well, you know.

BV and most posters may totally disagree with you, but it isn't as though we can change your mind, or at this point would even try to.

The only thing that gets shut down here is complete BS...prove your opinion is the correct opinion. You've never been able to do that. Even the biggest anti-vaxx/mask proponent of them all, who IMHO started it, the previous US President now states that he's had the booster.

Everyone that fell for the politicization of a virus is now paying for it (I had an antivaxx high school friend that died of COVID 4 weeks ago), and the leader abandoned ship.

So, hang in there if you must, but I encourage you to re-evaluate.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: December 28, 2021 21:24

FrogSugar
Let's not forget that the recent case records are especially due to mass amounts of people getting tested for the holidays.

No matter how the media and the presidents/governments try to spin this, it's obvious that more testing will always = more covid cases.

Expect a huge drop in new cases after the Xmas holidays are over and people are done with the family and travelling thing!

The number of cases has nothing to do with the amount of testing done. At all. By your logic, there would be no Covid if there were no tests.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: December 28, 2021 22:11

Not really sure what the argument is about. You are free to isolate and boost as much as you want, to protect yourself or those you know. It's sad that Covid has been the main news topic for so long now, and other issues are passing by unnoticed, it's not worthy of so much attention. Don't get carried away by fear and restrictions was my point, and that brought the Crusaders out for the usual crucifixion.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: December 28, 2021 22:30

Covid 19? Yes, we did meet. Ten days of hell. I go to the gym, take my pills and live like I´m the other half of Keith Richards. The healthy one.

But it got me. So take care. But I can´t tell anyone else how to live - what to do or not to do.

Posted by: calipachangero ()
Date: December 28, 2021 22:50

treaclefingers
calipachangero
skytrench
Mass psychosis fueled by fear. I'm not saying Corona is harmless, but certainly not to the level it's brought up to.

That might be a very unpopular opinion on here, where full compliance with the official narrative is expected.

Please.

You can think whatever you like, and we can think you're bat-sh*t....well, you know.

BV and most posters may totally disagree with you, but it isn't as though we can change your mind, or at this point would even try to.

The only thing that gets shut down here is complete BS...prove your opinion is the correct opinion. You've never been able to do that. Even the biggest anti-vaxx/mask proponent of them all, who IMHO started it, the previous US President now states that he's had the booster.

Everyone that fell for the politicization of a virus is now paying for it (I had an antivaxx high school friend that died of COVID 4 weeks ago), and the leader abandoned ship.

You've just proven my point. Congratulations! Everything other than your point is crazy or Trumpist or whatever. Take it easy, live and let live or you might engage in fear mongering. I know I wont.

Date: December 28, 2021 23:06

calipachangero
treaclefingers
calipachangero
skytrench

Please.

You've just proven my point. Congratulations! Everything other than your point is crazy or Trumpist or whatever. Take it easy, live and let live or you might engage in fear mongering. I know I wont.

You're adorable! I could just pinch your cheeks!

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: December 29, 2021 00:34

skytrench
Not really sure what the argument is about. You are free to isolate and boost as much as you want, to protect yourself or those you know. It's sad that Covid has been the main news topic for so long now, and other issues are passing by unnoticed, it's not worthy of so much attention. Don't get carried away by fear and restrictions was my point, and that brought the Crusaders out for the usual crucifixion.

Your response is selfish and stupid as f. Luckily public health is something you are not responsible for. What next? Banning seatbelts? Requiring four shots of vodka before getting behind the wheel of a car? It is so sad some people are so self centered that they don't care about anyone but themselves and play the so called religion card to claim persecution. Then again, not really surprising.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 29, 2021 00:40

treaclefingers
georgie48
Well well. There is this sinister story about a 40 year old Belgian kickboxer named Sinistra, who opposed Covid-19 vaccinations in the strongest possible way. He used his fame and the media to try and change the minds of many.
The news of two days ago said that he died (occording to his family not of corona ...). Fact is that he was hospitalized with a serious corona infection, which turned from bad to worse. According to the media he decided to return home with an oxigen machine and was claiming that his health was rapidly improving. Covid-19 doesn't like cheaters, so poor Sinistra is gone, apparently because his lungs failed on him. Aren't lungs one of the most popular parts of the human body where corona virusses like to mess up things?
confused smiley

Don't follow "leaders". Use your own common sense, with eyes and ears open!

I've seen enough examples of this. Why can't people just get the point already?

That's the million dollar question. I'm afraid the answer may be in the lyrics that Pete Seeger wrote once upon a time: "when will they ever learn, when will they eeever learn".
It's the curse of the human race, be it war, environment, climate or pandemic, they (that is, too many) will never learn. Terms like "reinventing the wheel" point it out. So far the human race survived and as long as our sun still enjoys the company of its planets, the human race will find ways to survive, even when some future virus will rape us badly.
A possible collision with another sun is still far away. By that time we humans, together with all viruses and bacteria alike, have long gone. We are not more than a hardly visible flash in a pan named Universe. Knowing that, I still wear my mask(s), wash my hands more often than I used to and try to keep enough (?) distance, especially from those "when will they ever learn" kind of people. It's so easy, you wouldn't believe it. And it hasn't f*cked up my life over the past almost two years, unlike that stupid Belgium kick-boxer ...

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 29, 2021 01:08

THE AGE --- 28 December 2021

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: December 29, 2021 01:31

skytrench
that brought the Crusaders out for the usual crucifixion.

You seem history-challenged . . .

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 29, 2021 01:58

From CNN:

Biden is dogged by a testing shortage he had vowed to fix

Covid19

President Joe Biden is closing out his first year in office facing one of the same problems he entered the White House vowing to fix: a persistent shortage of Covid-19 testing that, if resolved, could provide a way out of the still-raging pandemic. The inability to secure enough timely tests for the number of people who want them has led to a new reckoning for Biden's Covid-19 response. An enhanced strategy that includes distributing 500 million free at-home tests didn't come in time to prevent major disruptions to holiday travel, and it remains unclear when those tests will reach Americans who want them. Walking along the seafront in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, Biden said on Tuesday that he'd made "a bit of progress" in distributing the new tests. But he didn't expand on how far along the program was. A combination of factors -- from a Christmastime surge in demand to a highly transmissible new variant to a summertime lull in testing that created a shortage of supply -- are driving the testing deficit, officials and others familiar with the matter say. Yet the failures surrounding testing have led to accusations that the White House failed to anticipate the pandemic's course and overemphasized vaccinations as a solution to ending the crisis, even as outside experts warned of a looming test shortage directly to administration officials. Biden's team insists they took what steps they could in the fall to build up testing capacity but acknowledge that a surge in demand and relatively recent emergency use authorizations from the US Food and Drug Administration have made stockpiling at-home tests a challenge.

Television footage of long lines at testing centers grabbed Biden's attention over the Christmas weekend. And the shortage of tests factored into the administration's decision Monday not to recommend tests for individuals exposed to the virus to emerge from a shortened five-day quarantine, according to an official familiar with the discussions. "If we require a test, people are going to say, 'What if we can't get a test?' " the senior administration official said, recounting internal deliberations on condition of anonymity. "Rather than letting the perfect be the enemy of the good," the official said, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention opted for less stringent language, noting that "best practice would also include a test for SARS-CoV-2 at day 5 after exposure." Biden himself has frankly acknowledged that his efforts have fallen short, particularly in scaling up testing, even as he seeks to take credit for other aspects of fighting the pandemic. "It's clearly not enough. If I had -- we had -- known, we would have gone harder, quicker, if we could have," Biden said in describing his testing efforts this week while meeting virtually with governors. "We have to do more. We have to do better, and we will." Other top health officials, including Dr. Anthony Fauci, the President's top medical adviser, have similarly acknowledged the testing shortfalls in interviews. And White House press secretary Jen Psaki conceded last week that she could have provided more context when she dismissed the notion of sending tests to Americans just two weeks ago.

Officials said a letup in demand for tests over the summer and fall, despite the rapid spread of the Delta variant, had caused some companies to pull back their manufacturing, which has compounded the current shortages. Many of the drive-thru sites that opened earlier in Biden's tenure were closed, and Abbott, which manufactures a popular at-home product, discarded materials for millions of its tests and laid off workers. Despite steps the White House has taken since then to ramp up production, including deploying the Defense Production Act, public health experts have decried the shortfalls. "I cannot believe this is where we are almost two years into the pandemic. Everybody saw it coming. We knew we needed more tests. I think the administration had dropped the ball on this," said Dr. Ashish Jha, dean of Brown University's School of Public Health. "They focused a lot on vaccines, which is terrific -- vaccines are a really, really important part of this -- but did not pay enough attention to testing. And I think it has been really costly in this holiday season." "I hope we fix it in January and February, but we're going to have to have a real effort to make sure there's plentiful, cheap, ubiquitous testing everywhere in the country," Jha said. "That's where we should be in this pandemic right now."

Date: December 29, 2021 02:13

Aquamarine
skytrench

thumbs up sounded better than the romans...

Date: December 29, 2021 03:44

Aquamarine
skytrench

you may add that to an apparent "list" of things.

Date: December 29, 2021 03:56

georgie48
treaclefingers
georgie48
Well well. There is this sinister story about a 40 year old Belgian kickboxer named Sinistra, who opposed Covid-19 vaccinations in the strongest possible way. He used his fame and the media to try and change the minds of many.
The news of two days ago said that he died (occording to his family not of corona ...). Fact is that he was hospitalized with a serious corona infection, which turned from bad to worse. According to the media he decided to return home with an oxigen machine and was claiming that his health was rapidly improving. Covid-19 doesn't like cheaters, so poor Sinistra is gone, apparently because his lungs failed on him. Aren't lungs one of the most popular parts of the human body where corona virusses like to mess up things?
confused smiley

That's the million dollar question. I'm afraid the answer may be in the lyrics that Pete Seeger wrote once upon a time: "when will they ever learn, when will they eeever learn".
It's the curse of the human race, be it war, environment, climate or pandemic, they (that is, too many) will never learn. Terms like "reinventing the wheel" point it out. So far the human race survived and as long as our sun still enjoys the company of its planets, the human race will find ways to survive, even when some future virus will rape us badly.
A possible collision with another sun is still far away. By that time we humans, together with all viruses and bacteria alike, have long gone. We are not more than a hardly visible flash in a pan named Universe. Knowing that, I still wear my mask(s), wash my hands more often than I used to and try to keep enough (?) distance, especially from those "when will they ever learn" kind of people. It's so easy, you wouldn't believe it. And it hasn't f*cked up my life over the past almost two years, unlike that stupid Belgium kick-boxer ...

OK, just had an interesting thought.

Maybe this is a good thing? Maybe this is how it's supposed to be, for the greater good? It's a diversification thing. Here's why.

If we all made the same, 'sane' decisions, then there is the possibility that an unaccounted for, 'black swan' event could take place, creating a catastrophe. For example, and not that I believe this, or there's any evidence, but suppose that those of us that received the jab all died in 3 years time because of something that was unaccounted for with the jab. Horrible thought, but stay with me.

In that situation if EVERYONE had gotten the jab, you wipe out the human race. BUT, because some people refused to, they survive.

So in a way humans collectively behave like a virus behaves (and there are probably far more examples of humans behaving like virus's, but we won't go down that rabbit hole) and individually die but as a species adapt to new circumstances.

The only thing is that as a rational human being, a 'sane' individual wouldn't take those odds. But as a species, you're glad that some people act irrationally, just in case there's a black swan event (which there won't be).

Sorry if I've rambled but that all suddenly made sense.

I'd like to at this moment thank all the anti-vaxxers for their service.

Date: December 29, 2021 05:39

treaclefingers
Aquamarine
skytrench

True, I have many deficiencies and face many challenges to become a better person. Very considerate of you to notice that in a stranger. Thank you and well done on your last post, though there are more more nuances than pro or anti.

Date: December 29, 2021 17:02

skytrench
treaclefingers
Aquamarine
skytrench

True, I have many deficiencies and face many challenges to become a better person. Very considerate of you to notice that in a stranger. Thank you and well done on your last post, though there are more more nuances than pro or anti.

To that I would agree, though the nuances you're describing comes down to 'reasons' for the decision, but the actual decision renders the outcome fairly black and white. You're vaxxed, or not.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 29, 2021 19:11

treaclefingers
georgie48
treaclefingers
georgie48
confused smiley

OK, just had an interesting thought.

Maybe this is a good thing? Maybe this is how it's supposed to be, for the greater good? It's a diversification thing. Here's why.

If we all made the same, 'sane' decisions, then there is the possibility that an unaccounted for, 'black swan' event could take place, creating a catastrophe. For example, and not that I believe this, or there's any evidence, but suppose that those of us that received the jab all died in 3 years time because of something that was unaccounted for with the jab. Horrible thought, but stay with me.

In that situation if EVERYONE had gotten the jab, you wipe out the human race. BUT, because some people refused to, they survive.

So in a way humans collectively behave like a virus behaves (and there are probably far more examples of humans behaving like virus's, but we won't go down that rabbit hole) and individually die but as a species adapt to new circumstances.

The only thing is that as a rational human being, a 'sane' individual wouldn't take those odds. But as a species, you're glad that some people act irrationally, just in case there's a black swan event (which there won't be).

Sorry if I've rambled but that all suddenly made sense.

I'd like to at this moment thank all the anti-vaxxers for their service.

You have a point there winking smiley ... but for the time being I "gamble" on all the sane people. Why? I mentioned the Belgium kickboxer. Well, yesterday (there's always this "funny" competition between Belgium and Holland) a 53 years old Dutch economist, who used the media a lot to sell his anti-covid-19 vaccination opinion died and yes ... of corona. Another anti-vaxxer gone. The black swan event is another step further away ...

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 29, 2021 21:02

In that situation if EVERYONE had gotten the jab, you wipe out the human race. BUT, because some people refused to, they survive.- GEORGIE 48

If those are the humans left, our intelligence level would be greatly lowered, and who knows how long they'd survive?

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: December 29, 2021 22:44

He died after waiting 15 days for a hospital bed. His family blames unvaccinated covid-19 patients.

By Timothy Bella
Yesterday at 3:33 p.m. EST|Updated yesterday at 4:30 p.m. EST

Throughout his life, Dale Weeks was characterized by family and friends in Iowa as “a good neighbor,” someone who would do anything for anyone. So when he was diagnosed with sepsis last month, the retired schools superintendent and his family hoped he would get immediate care and be okay to reunite with them for the holidays.

But at a time when unvaccinated covid-19 patients have again overwhelmed hospitals because of the fast-spreading omicron variant, finding an available bed at a large medical center able to give him the treatment he needed proved to be difficult. Weeks was being treated at a small, rural hospital. He had waited 15 days to be transferred to a larger hospital with better treatment options, because facilities throughout Iowa did not have an open bed for him as a result of the latest hospital surge of unvaccinated patients, his children told The Washington Post.

“It was terribly frustrating being told, ‘There’s not a bed yet,’ ” Jenifer Owenson, one of his four children, said Tuesday. “All of us were talking multiple times a day, ‘Why can’t we get him a bed?’ There was this logjam to get him in anywhere.”

When Weeks was finally able to have surgery more than two weeks later, his condition from sepsis had worsened. Weeks died Nov. 28 of complications after surgery. He was 78.

Anthony Weeks, his son, said that the family believes their vaccinated and boosted father was the latest indirect victim of the pandemic — and that he would have survived his sepsis diagnosis if he was immediately admitted to a larger medical center that had an open bed.

“The frustrating thing was not that we wanted him to get care that others weren’t getting, but that he didn’t get care when he needed it. And when he did get it, it was too late,” he said. “The question comes up of: ‘Who was in those beds?’ If it’s people who are unvaccinated with covid, then that’s the part where it really hurts.”

Owenson added: “The thing that bothers me the most is people’s selfish decision not to get vaccinated and the failure to see how this affects a greater group of people. That’s the part that’s really difficult to swallow.”

Marcy Peterson, a spokeswoman with MercyOne, the hospital system that cared for Dale Weeks in Newton, Iowa, did not get into the specifics of his case, but she acknowledged the frustration surrounding hospitals that are again overwhelmed with unvaccinated patients. She said in a statement to The Post that “a large percentage” of covid-19 patients at MercyOne hospitals are unvaccinated.

“In addition to an increased number of covid-19 cases and spread of the delta and omicron variants, hospitals across the country are dealing with traumas and experiencing multiple types of illness,” Peterson said. “This demand is coupled with a reduced number of staff to care for patients. These challenges can strain available resources and contribute to delays in care or other complications for patients.”

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: December 30, 2021 01:25

Sometorontogirl - thank you for post that article. That is a perspective that I haven't given much consideration to. I sympathize with that family in their frustration, and can only imagine how helpless they must have felt seeing their loved one getting sicker and sicker and it makes me really angry. It makes me have irrational thoughts such as refusing to give a hospital bed to an unvaxxed covid patient if there is not enough space. They made their choice, and took their chances, others should shouldn't suffer as a result.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 30, 2021 04:28

COVID19 - USA

The latest wave of Covid-19 cases is "unlike anything we’ve ever seen," doctor says

This latest wave of Covid-19 cases is “unlike anything we’ve ever seen,” Dr. James Phillips, chief of disaster medicine at George Washington University Hospital, said Wednesday.“What we're experiencing right now is an absolute overwhelming of the emergency departments throughout Washington, DC,” Phillips told CNN. The emergency departments, he said, are flooded with mostly mildly symptomatic patients who are there to get tested. “It's part of that shortfall of national testing that's occurring, and it's all falling on the emergency department,” Phillips said. The problems are compounded by the highly contagious nature of the Omicron variant. “While many of us were able to stay safe from getting the Delta virus and the previous variants that have come our way, Omicron is affecting the staff at our hospitals in an unprecedented way,” Phillips said. “We're really struggling to maintain our workforce, particularly of nurses right now. And that makes wait times even longer in the waiting rooms, and it's very demoralizing for both the patients and our staff.”

-----------------------------------------------------

Covid-19 cases will threaten critical infrastructure, scientist says

The US is in a “mess right now” due to the surge in Covid-19 cases, Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, said. “The best way to approach it is to say what we know and what we don't know,” Osterholm told CNN on Wednesday. It’s clear that the Omicron variant of the coronavirus is highly infectious, but it is unclear how many people will get seriously sick and die, he said. Rather, the country is in “unknown territory.” The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention predicts more than 44,000 new Covid-19 deaths over the next four weeks. “If you look at those CDC data,” Osterholm said, “if you look at the confidence intervals, you can drive a whole semi load of information through there. There's a big hole in terms of, just what does the real number look like over the course of the next month? We don't know.”

Because scientists still are working with limited information, public health leaders have had to make a best guess about what will work to keep people safe. Osterholm thinks the CDC is being too harshly criticized for its decision to change its guidelines to allow certain people to leave isolation or quarantine after a shorter period of time. “Everything we’re going to do right now is imperfect. Just accept that right now,” Osterholm said. “We don't know a lot of the things we wish we'd know, but what we do know and what is emerging here is that this country is going to be in the soup in just the next few weeks with so many cases and so many locations, that we're going to see critical infrastructure as well as health care challenged,” Osterholm added. Osterholm predicts that with the rapid spread of the Omicron variant, there may not be enough people who are well enough to keep hospitals, grocery stores and gas stations working. The change in CDC guidelines is not just about helping the economy, he said: “It was to play to the very safety of our everyday lives.”

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 30, 2021 06:08

CindyC
Sometorontogirl - thank you for post that article. That is a perspective that I haven't given much consideration to. I sympathize with that family in their frustration, and can only imagine how helpless they must have felt seeing their loved one getting sicker and sicker and it makes me really angry. It makes me have irrational thoughts such as refusing to give a hospital bed to an unvaxxed covid patient if there is not enough space. They made their choice, and took their chances, others should shouldn't suffer as a result.

It may get to that point once the financial aspect is tallied up enough.

Since that's what really matters the most - can't make money from dead idiots.

Date: December 30, 2021 08:10

24FPS
In that situation if EVERYONE had gotten the jab, you wipe out the human race. BUT, because some people refused to, they survive.- GEORGIE 48

If those are the humans left, our intelligence level would be greatly lowered, and who knows how long they'd survive?

HA! Good point.

Date: December 30, 2021 10:47

treaclefingers
24FPS

HA! Good point.

Self proclaimed geniuses from the CCF wiped out? Who would have thought...

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: December 30, 2021 12:37

CindyC

So you are ok with refusing treatment to people who require it due to choices they made themselves?

Nate

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 30, 2021 14:53

The Omicron covid-19 variant is spreading approx 5 times faster than Delta. Unless there are rules and regulations limiting the spread, any country will experience R=5 i.e. one omicron infected person will infect five - 5 - other people.

Virus experts in Norway say it is not a matter of IF you will get Omicron, but WHEN. Everybody, vaccinated or non-vaccinated, will get Omicron some time during the next months. If you are fully vaccinated, with a 3rd booster dose, you are well protected from getting sick.

Norway have a 92% vaccination rate among adults. There are 15 times as many unvaccinated hospitalized with covid-19, as compared to the vaccinated. While the median age of vaccinated people in hospital is 80+ years old, the unvaccinated who are in hospital are in the range of 40-60 years old.

The omicron variant will be all over during the next couple of months. Some countries will do mild lock down, others will do hard lock down. I wish everyone the best. Just make sure you are fully vaccinated, so that we may meet during the next tour. Buckle up!

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-30 14:54 by bv.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: December 30, 2021 15:02

Nate
CindyC

So you are ok with refusing treatment to people who require it due to choices they made themselves?

Nate

well, it's a difficult question. But on the other hand: The very concept of choice is meaningless unless choices are not connected to consequences and resposilities.

If you chose not to have an insurance you can't expect others to pay for damages caused by a fire that burns your house down etc.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: December 30, 2021 15:06

So does that same logic apply to overweight people who have a heart attack or smokers with lung cancer? They shouldn't receive treatment because they made their choice?

Date: December 30, 2021 15:11

World Rapid Chess tournament in Warsaw delayed because top chess players catched Covid.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 30, 2021 15:17

Medics will always do their very best for every patient...

...but I think all that is really missing the point.

There will always be people who are reluctant or scared to have the vaccine for one of a number genuine reasons. There are also those who can't have it for medical reasons.

..But the majority of "anti-vaxers" ...and the loudest amongst them... are those simply jumping on the usual "you're not telling me what to do ! " band wagon.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...323324325326327328329330331332333...LastNext
Current Page: 328 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1258
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home