Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...319320321322323324325326327328329...LastNext
Current Page: 324 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: December 20, 2021 23:06

Nate
daspyknows
Nate
treaclefingers
skytrench
Most scary is what restrictions will be implemented and for how long. The leaders don't want to take risks with the hospital capacities in case of a surge, but how many of them have actually used the past year to invest in an increased ICU capacity for their people? Money well spent, if society's wheels can be kept turning.

so hang on...you're suggesting it's BETTER to simply increase ICU capacity instead of doing a lockdown?

Better to fill up the hospitals and keep the restaurants and bars open?

Wow, OK.

Of course it’s better to increase ICU capacity than shut down society.Why should people have their lives restricted in this manner because of a lack of investment in healthcare.If authorities don’t stop these lockdowns soon there will not be a healthcare system at all.Where do you think the money comes from to fund healthcare in the first place.

Nate

To handle omicron ICU capacity will need to increase by a fact or 3, 5, 10, 20? Who is going to staff the ICU's, how is going a hospital going to increase their number of beds by 5 times? You just are against any precautions like lockdowns or masks.

If authorities do nothing the healthcare system collapses. Temporary, short term lockdowns will not destroy the healthcare system. Obviously you do not understand math, public health or economics.

Obviously you haven't read or have chosen to ignore what else I wrote about increasing hospital capacity.

I think you need professional help to get over your covid experience it seems to have left you in constant fear of the virus.

Nate

I have read through what you wrote and it is nonsensical. How do you propose increase ICU capacity by 500% in the next 30 days? This is a now issue, not a long term issue. If you can show you have a plan to increase ICU capacity in the short term say so, but if you do not you are part of the problem, not the solution.

I am not in fear of the virus, I am just not clueless and upset like you that I need to wear a mask at a show or taking specific societal precautions because I don't like them. I have attended more shows than you have but I am careful about it. I have had it and have been vaccinated 3 times which means I am at the lowest risk based on studies a friend of mine has been involved with. I don't make stupid statements like I will not go to a if a mask is required or the world will end if I can't go to a bar or pub. You are just concerned about your inconveniences caused by the virus. Sounds like you just have a selfish perspective to me.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: December 20, 2021 23:24

Let's hope the extra ICU capacity will not be necessary, although it's a little late now. Should have been planned for many months ago. I'm afraid they put all their eggs in the vaccine basket, hoped for the best and now the situation risks getting out of control anyway.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 20, 2021 23:36

skytrench
Let's hope the extra ICU capacity will not be necessary, although it's a little late now. Should have been planned for many months ago. I'm afraid they put all their eggs in the vaccine basket, hoped for the best and now the situation risks getting out of control anyway.

Capacity doesn't just mean more beds, but who's supposed to care for these people?

There's no system in place to have that many extra beds that have people that can take care of the increase in patients, so the many months you wished for wouldn't make a difference.

In view of that isn't it better to not have to take the trip to the hospital to be put into a medically induced ventilated coma, by taking some pretty simple evasive action?

It seems ludicrous to be on the other side of this argument.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: December 21, 2021 00:24

treaclefingers
skytrench

Capacity doesn't just mean more beds, but who's supposed to care for these people?

There's no system in place to have that many extra beds that have people that can take care of the increase in patients, so the many months you wished for wouldn't make a difference.

In view of that isn't it better to not have to take the trip to the hospital to be put into a medically induced ventilated coma, by taking some pretty simple evasive action?

There's no reason not to try and raise treatment capacity in case of possible surges, due to vaccine evasion.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: December 21, 2021 01:12

daspyknows
Nate
daspyknows
Nate
treaclefingers
skytrench
Most scary is what restrictions will be implemented and for how long. The leaders don't want to take risks with the hospital capacities in case of a surge, but how many of them have actually used the past year to invest in an increased ICU capacity for their people? Money well spent, if society's wheels can be kept turning.

so hang on...you're suggesting it's BETTER to simply increase ICU capacity instead of doing a lockdown?

Wow, OK.

Of course it’s better to increase ICU capacity than shut down society.Why should people have their lives restricted in this manner because of a lack of investment in healthcare.If authorities don’t stop these lockdowns soon there will not be a healthcare system at all.Where do you think the money comes from to fund healthcare in the first place.

Nate

To handle omicron ICU capacity will need to increase by a fact or 3, 5, 10, 20? Who is going to staff the ICU's, how is going a hospital going to increase their number of beds by 5 times? You just are against any precautions like lockdowns or masks.

If authorities do nothing the healthcare system collapses. Temporary, short term lockdowns will not destroy the healthcare system. Obviously you do not understand math, public health or economics.

Obviously you haven't read or have chosen to ignore what else I wrote about increasing hospital capacity.

I think you need professional help to get over your covid experience it seems to have left you in constant fear of the virus.

Nate

I have read through what you wrote and it is nonsensical. How do you propose increase ICU capacity by 500% in the next 30 days? This is a now issue, not a long term issue. If you can show you have a plan to increase ICU capacity in the short term say so, but if you do not you are part of the problem, not the solution.

I am not in fear of the virus, I am just not clueless and upset like you that I need to wear a mask at a show or taking specific societal precautions because I don't like them. I have attended more shows than you have but I am careful about it. I have had it and have been vaccinated 3 times which means I am at the lowest risk based on studies a friend of mine has been involved with. I don't make stupid statements like I will not go to a if a mask is required or the world will end if I can't go to a bar or pub. You are just concerned about your inconveniences caused by the virus. Sounds like you just have a selfish perspective to me.

Yes I certainly am selfish to some degree just like most other people,what are you a monk.

I had the booster shot yesterday but I would rather it had gone to someone in the third world.

Nate

Date: December 21, 2021 02:16

Nate
daspyknows
Nate
daspyknows
Nate
treaclefingers
skytrench

Wow, OK.

Nate

Nate

Yes I certainly am selfish to some degree just like most other people,what are you a monk.

I had the booster shot yesterday but I would rather it had gone to someone in the third world.

Nate

Its not an either or. Also much of the third world lacks the infrastructure to fully deploy the mRNA vaccines due to cold storage. Novavax getting approval and as I understand it those vaccines require less cold storage. I am not a monk, I think the public needs for preventing the spread of the virus are more important than a bit of inconvenience. Given I have had the virus and have had three shots, my risk level is in the lowest category per the studies that a friend has been involved with but I still believe in masks and the precautions you are so opposed to.

Date: December 21, 2021 03:00

skytrench
treaclefingers
skytrench

There's no reason not to try and raise treatment capacity in case of possible surges, due to vaccine evasion.

So put prospective science students on a 6 month plan medical degree?

Night school nurses?

Your ideas are pretty fanciful. Why not just focus on prevention, why is that such an impossible concept?

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: December 21, 2021 08:59

We have no time for such discussions. Omicron is spreading very fast and it can kill you. Prevention is the easiest way now.
By the way: People working in ICU a pretty fed up with fighting for the lives of unvaccinated people. And some of them have quit their job.

Date: December 21, 2021 09:04

MAF
We have no time for such discussions. Omicron is spreading very fast and it can kill you. Prevention is the easiest way now.
By the way: People working in ICU a pretty fed up with fighting for the lives of unvaccinated people. And some of them have quit their job.

thumbs up

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 21, 2021 09:15

Wear a seatbelt when driving?
Don’t drive when drunk?
Exhale smoke all over your non smoking friends?

Responsibility people. Wear masks. Get jabs.

We ALL do things that are Mandated already. It’s not bloody hard

Rod

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 21, 2021 18:53

MAF

You can't prevent it, its too far gone. Just keep up w/ shots & boosters so that hopefully you get mild symptoms.

Date: December 21, 2021 18:57

We instituted new restrictions yesterday where I'm from, BC, Canada. TODAY, we're getting new restrictions.

Funny how this feels a bit like PANIC!

Like an inability to project beyond 24 hours in the future, bizarre.

Date: December 21, 2021 19:35

Not good. There needs to be more studies of those who have had Covid and have been fully vaccinated. Studies a friend of mine has been involved with indicates that's the best case immunity.

Omicron more likely to reinfect than Delta, no milder -study

[www.reuters.com]

Dec 17 (Reuters) - The risk of reinfection with the Omicron coronavirus variant is more than five times higher and it has shown no sign of being milder than Delta, a study showed, as cases soar across Europe and threaten year-end festivities.

The results of the study by Imperial College London were based on UK Health Security Agency and National Health Service data on people who tested positive for COVID-19 in a PCR test in England between Nov. 29 and Dec. 11.

"We find no evidence (for both risk of hospitalisation attendance and symptom status) of Omicron having different severity from Delta," the study said, although it added that data on hospitalisations remains very limited.

"Controlling for vaccine status, age, sex, ethnicity, asymptomatic status, region and specimen date, Omicron was associated with a 5.4-fold higher risk of reinfection compared with Delta," the study, which was dated Dec. 16, added.

The protection afforded by past infection against reinfection with Omicron may be as low as 19%, Imperial College (ICL) said in a statement, noting that the study had not yet been peer reviewed.

The researchers found a significantly increased risk of developing a symptomatic Omicron case compared to Delta for those who were two or more weeks past their second vaccine dose, and two or more weeks past their booster dose.

The study involved AstraZeneca and Pfizer vaccines.

Depending on the estimates used for vaccine effectiveness against symptomatic infection from the Delta variant, this translates into vaccine effectiveness of between 0% and 20% after two doses, and between 55% and 80% after a booster dose.

"This study provides further evidence of the very substantial extent to which Omicron can evade prior immunity given by both infection or vaccination," study lead Professor Neil Ferguson said in ICL's statement.

"This level of immune evasion means that Omicron poses a major, imminent threat to public health."

TOO EARLY?

But Dr Clive Dix, former Chair of the UK Vaccine Taskforce, said it was important not to overinterpret the data.

"The conclusions made are based on making assumptions about Omicron where we still don't have sufficient data," Dr Dix said. "For example, we have no data on the cellular immune response which is now probably driving effectiveness of vaccines."

"This is a crucial missing assumption in the modelling."

Some of the conclusions are different to the data emerging from South Africa, where vaccines are holding up well against severe disease and death at present, he said.

"There is a huge amount of uncertainty in these modelled estimates and we can only be confident about the impact of boosters against Omicron when we have another month of real-world data on hospitalisation ICU numbers and deaths," he said.

An earlier study by Britain's SIREN looking at reinfection risk in health workers, which was carried out before Omicron emerged, found that a first coronavirus infection offered 85% protection from a second for the following six months.

The data analysed by Imperial College was based on 333,000 cases, including 122,062 of Delta and 1,846 which were confirmed as the Omicron coronavirus variant through genome sequencing.

Imperial College's Professor Azra Ghani, who co-led the study, described it as "essential for modelling the likely future trajectory of the Omicron wave and the potential impact of vaccination and other public health interventions."

The new findings could accelerate the imposition of tighter restrictions across a number of European countries in a bid to stem the new variant's spread. read more

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: December 21, 2021 20:18

NHL is pulling out of the Olympics due to COVID concerns.

All you need to know about what the Olympic experience means to the world’s best male hockey players is that many were still aching to go to Beijing in February.

Even amid a pandemic that’s roaring back to life, with uncertain quarantine protocols, and unprecedented controls on their movements during the Games, there was a strong collective desire to do what was necessary to stage a best-on-best tournament.

Those under consideration for Olympic selection were told over the course of three internal calls with the NHL Players’ Association last week that only so much could be done once they boarded the plane to China. That if they contracted COVID-19 and Chinese authorities required a three- to five-week quarantine period it would be beyond the NHL’s purview to intervene or find another solution.

Still, the stars wanted to play.

That dream is now dead — with the NHL and NHLPA reaching the joint decision Tuesday to withdraw their participation and in the process of finalizing it with the International Olympic Committee.

They made that call for business reasons above all else.

They are scrambling to try and save a full season, quite frankly, after the rapid spread of the Omicron variant forced a tidal wave of game postponements and sent the league into its holiday break early..

Full article: [www.thestar.com]

Date: December 21, 2021 20:52

So in the study by imperial college London they say that omicron is no less deadly than delta but then they admit they don't actually have enough information yet to establish if that is actually the case.

Just more scare tactics from a bunch of scientists whose predictions during this pandemic have time and time again proven to be wildly off the mark.

Nate

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 21, 2021 20:53

Some random headlines from today as coronavirus continues to wreak havoc around the world:

---------------------------------------------------------

- Omicron slams into American businesses: 'We've taken a big nose dive'

- Portugal will implement stricter Covid-19 measures starting Sunday to tackle rising cases

- Montreal declares state of emergency as cases in Quebec hit highest single-day numbers

- Sweden will implement tighter restrictions to curb Covid-19 spread

- Minnesota governor and family test positive for Covid-19

- Omicron becomes dominant variant in Denmark

- Daily US Covid-19 case numbers with Omicron "could exceed previous peaks," CDC warns

- Spain added to CDC's highest risk travel list

- New Zealand delays border reopening over Omicron concerns

- Covid-19 cases surge in English Premier League, even though most players are double vaccinated

- Wales bans spectators at sporting events

- Thailand reintroduces mandatory quarantine for visitors

- German health authority calls for more restrictions

- Omicron responsible for 1 in 3 cases in Paris

- Increased testing demand in New York is "straining the health system," urgent care official says

---------------------------------------------------------------------

STAY SAFE EVERYONE.

Date: December 21, 2021 20:56

bitusa2012
Wear a seatbelt when driving?
Don’t drive when drunk?
Exhale smoke all over your non smoking friends?

Responsibility people. Wear masks. Get jabs.

We ALL do things that are Mandated already. It’s not bloody hard

Yeah I also think of that analogy, driving a car.

No guarantee that when you drive your car you won't die, though a low risk.

BUT, if you don't drink and drive, or text and drive or speed, AND you wear your seat belt AND you have airbags in the front, oh, on the side too? Great.

Layers of protection. Each layer added on decreases your overall risk.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 21, 2021 21:04

Early lab studies hint Omicron may be milder. But most scientists reserve judgment
Fast-spreading variant prompts restrictions across Northern Europe

The new SARS-CoV-2 variant exploding around the planet is forcing humanity to adapt at a breakneck speed. This week, countries across Northern Europe imposed stringent new measures to try to bring down soaring case numbers. On Saturday, The Netherlands issued a near-complete lockdown of public life and allowed residents to receive no more than two guests per day—with an exception for Christmas and New Year’s Eve, when four visitors are allowed. Denmark, which lifted all pandemic restrictions in September, closed theaters, concert halls, museums, and other public spaces on Friday and banned alcohol sales after 10 p.m. Driving those decisions is alarm at Omicron’s wildfirelike spread—and caution in the face of major uncertainty. If Omicron makes people just as sick as the Delta variant, models predict a staggering rise of hospitalizations—many times what most health systems can handle. If Omicron causes milder disease than Delta, things would be less catastrophic—but even then, “a considerable overload of the hospitals is to be expected,” a group of experts warned in a 19 December report to the German government. A massive Omicron wave might also lead to many more cases of Long Covid. It will take weeks before epidemiological data deliver a clear verdict about disease severity. But preliminary lab data, and a few real-world clues, are raising hope among optimists, while others reserve judgment. “If it turns out there is reduced severity from Omicron, there are now potentially some mechanisms that might help explain this,” says Tom Peacock, a virologist at Imperial College London (ICL). “On the other hand there may be some mechanisms that could explain the opposite. So it’s still a bit of a mess until the real-world data crystallizes.”

More > Covid19

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: December 21, 2021 21:13

Thank you for all information
Here in Florida
It's life as usual
Ron's the man
Science what is that..

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 21, 2021 23:19

LeonidP
MAF

You can't prevent it, its too far gone. Just keep up w/ shots & boosters so that hopefully you get mild symptoms.

And masks, wear masks.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: December 21, 2021 23:55

I've just got back from a month in Spain and the UK are far to lenient with taking precautions against getting and spreading covid than Spain.
First time abroad for about four years and I'm pretty sure Spain are more successful battling against covid than us in the UK.

Still see people in shops and public transport here not wearing a mask.
In Spain you won't get into a shop or public transport without a mask.
They have city /town bylaws I believe where its mandatory to wear masks outside while walking around as well as inside public areas.
In the month I was there I didn't see one single person not wearing a mask in public areas like shops and public transport.
Outside in the open, walking along the seafront or anywhere else about 50% wore masks and 50% didn't.
I was one that didn't unless I was going from one shop to another or the Guardia were around.
I was not surprised when I got back to UK that the covid figures were so bad, and the public was so pissed of with one rule for them and another for us, when it came to the UK government saying what we all should do.
Boris and his government have let us down big time in my opinion.

Date: December 22, 2021 00:10

Nate
So in the study by imperial college London they say that omicron is no less deadly than delta but then they admit they don't actually have enough information yet to establish if that is actually the case.

Just more scare tactics from a bunch of scientists whose predictions during this pandemic have time and time again proven to be wildly off the mark.

Nate

Maybe you should try and catch it to see what the real story is. You have your opinion but it seems more like clueless optimism. Do you believe the world is flat because you can't see the curvature of earth and some scientists make such a claim.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: December 22, 2021 00:47

Nate

Nate

That’d be the 11th best university in the world then, where scientists are conspiring to scare the public? [www.timeshighereducation.com]

Bore off with your tired conspiracy theories - adding nothing to sensible discussion

Date: December 22, 2021 00:55

yorkshirestone
Nate

Nate

That’d be the 11th best university in the world then, where scientists are conspiring to scare the public? [www.timeshighereducation.com]

Bore off with your tired conspiracy theories - adding nothing to sensible discussion

It is not a conspiracy theory to say that SAGE has been wildly off the mark with many of their predictions during the pandemic.

Nate

Date: December 22, 2021 00:57

Nate
yorkshirestone
Nate

Nate

It is not a conspiracy theory to say that SAGE has been wildly off the mark with many of their predictions during the pandemic.

Nate
I believe the editor of the board was keen for such claims to be backed up to links to evidence, published papers etc - assume you’re keen to quote and share these rather than my mate this or Facebook that? And I see the rambling has moved from Imperial scientists to SAGE group in general now?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-22 00:59 by yorkshirestone.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 22, 2021 01:00

THE AGE --- 22 December 2021

ROCKMAN

Date: December 22, 2021 01:04

daspyknows
Nate

Nate

Maybe you should try and catch it to see what the real story is. You have your opinion but it seems more like clueless optimism. Do you believe the world is flat because you can't see the curvature of earth and some scientists make such a claim.

I think science is wonderful and it provides the answers to many questions and problems but you would have to be a moron to believe science is not capable of getting it wrong sometimes.

Nate

Date: December 22, 2021 01:25

yorkshirestone
Nate
yorkshirestone
Nate

Nate

Nate
I believe the editor of the board was keen for such claims to be backed up to links to evidence, published papers etc - assume you’re keen to quote and share these rather than my mate this or Facebook that? And I see the rambling has moved from Imperial scientists to SAGE group in general now?

Such as the evidence that’s missing from the study that claimed omicron is no less deadly than delta.

Once again as I’ve stated many times before I am not a conspiracy theorist anti vax or even anti restrictions in exceptional circumstances.I was completely behind the first lockdown as I’m sure 99% of people were when those awful scenes of people dying in hospital corridors in Italy were on the news but the situation is nothing like that now.This situation has now gone on for far too long and many people myself included are simply not prepared to tolerate restrictions anymore.

Nate

Date: December 22, 2021 01:29

Nate
yorkshirestone
Nate
yorkshirestone
Nate

Nate

Nate

Such as the evidence that’s missing from the study that claimed omicron is no less deadly than delta.

Once again as I’ve stated many times before I am not a conspiracy theorist anti vax or even anti restrictions in exceptional circumstances.I was completely behind the first lockdown as I’m sure 99% of people were when those awful scenes of people dying in hospital corridors in Italy were on the news but the situation is nothing like that now.This situation has now gone on for far too long and many people myself included are simply not prepared to tolerate restrictions anymore.

Nate
Same old - where’s the evidence of scare tactics from scientists you mentioned a few posts back? I think most would agree it’s a bit inconvenient the pandemic is going on a while and causes changes to lifestyles as restrictions ebb and flow, but crying about scare tactics and ‘let’s just ignore it’ isn’t adding to the debate in an intelligent or meaningful way. Suspect you’re just trying to get a rise from the sensible majority - hence my earlier suggestion of boring off

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-22 01:32 by yorkshirestone.

Date: December 22, 2021 01:45

I think most people who are no longer in favour of restrictions would use much stronger language than a bit inconvenient and no doubt some will even take things much further than words.If I was someone in the halls of power carrying on with this charade I would be very seriously improving my security.

Nate

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...319320321322323324325326327328329...LastNext
Current Page: 324 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1565
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home