Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...317318319320321322323324325326327...LastNext
Current Page: 322 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: Nate ()
Date: December 18, 2021 12:05

daspyknows
Nate
Everything known so far about omicron points towards it being the best news of the pandemic.It is high time that society opens up completely and the virus really gets flying then the pandemic really will be over within a few months.

Nate

Best news of the pandemic were vaccines, but too many covidiots prefer horse de-wormer. Nate seems to think he is a scientist in the same league as Scot Atlas.

Of course I do not think of myself as any expert in science or medicine.If you listen to people who do properly study these subjects then many will still have different views and some of those people are indeed saying that omicron could very well be the beginning of the end of the pandemic which if true then would certainly be the best news of the pandemic so far.

Nate

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: December 18, 2021 13:36

Yes Nate, would be great if omicron could render Covid-19 less dangerous by immunizing vast numbers of living organisms.

It's not like lockdowns and repeated vaccinations have had much success at eliminating the threat and restoring people's freedoms yet. And does it look like those measures will?

For those who feel vulnerable, get your shots, remember to live your lives, before it's too late.

Date: December 18, 2021 14:22

Nate
TheflyingDutchman
Nate
Everything known so far about omicron points towards it being the best news of the pandemic.It is high time that society opens up completely and the virus really gets flying then the pandemic really will be over within a few months.

Nate

I'll ask God if he agrees on that.

One day you will hopefully wake up and realise that you have wasted your entire existence believing in something that doesn’t exist.

Nate

I know he doesn't exist. That leaves room for your remark.

Date: December 18, 2021 15:17

They should put all the vaccin development energy into medicine development and this would be over very soon.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 18, 2021 16:38

My health provider organization is saying I'm going to need a 4th shot in February. Sadly I'm considered high risk.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 18, 2021 16:38

PaintMonkeyManBlack
They should put all the vaccin development energy into medicine development and this would be over very soon.

Not sure how much energy is now being 'expended' on vaccine development given we have so many vaccines already, vs. medicine, and I know that some are in development or have been developed.

That said, better to not get the disease at all than try to fix people after they get sick.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 18, 2021 16:51

It's not clear yet if Omicron is a milder variant. But its rapid spread is certain to overwhelm hospitals, experts say

Covid19

The research is still early on the virulence of the Omicron coronavirus variant -- but what's abundantly clear, according to experts, is that it's poised to spread rapidly across the US and will likely overwhelm a battered US health care system. The variant is expected to become the "dominant strain" in the coming weeks, CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said on Friday. And after nearly two years of a pandemic that has caused more than 800,000 deaths in the US and overloaded hospitals, the omens aren't favorable for the next few months, according to experts. "Even if (Omicron) is less virulent than earlier strains, if we have a point where we're seeing a half-million cases a day or more, we are going to swamp our hospitals -- even with a relatively low rate of hospitalization," said CNN medical analyst Jonathan Reiner, a professor of medicine and surgery at George Washington School of Medicine & Health Sciences. "When you have that kind of denominator, our hospitals will be completely underwater as they are in some parts of the country," he said.

Dr. Francis Collins, the director of the National Institutes of Health, said it's too soon to assume Omicron will cause milder disease. "It's clear that Omicron is an extremely contagious variant, that it doubles every two to four days," Collins told CNN's Anderson Cooper. Collins said people can limit the consequences of the variant with vaccines, especially with boosters. Data from two weeks of South African cases appeared to indicate Omicron was milder in severity. The CDC said last week that it looked at 43 cases and most of those people had mild symptoms. Most were vaccinated, with about a third of the total group boosted. But, UK epidemiologists said this week they found no evidence that Omicron is causing milder disease there, although the Imperial College London team also said there was not much data to go on yet. "We still don't really know -- and there's some controversy about this -- whether Omicron causes the same kind of severity of disease or whether it's a somewhat milder form of the illness," Collins said. With a more infectious variant, even if it's milder, it could still send more people to hospitals. "The problem, of course, is if this is so infectious -- and we might see hundreds of thousands of cases every day, maybe even a million cases in a day from Omicron -- even if it's a little less severe, you are going to have a lot of people in the hospital and our hospitals are already really stretched with Delta, especially in the northern part of the country," Collins said. Overall, the US on Friday was averaging 121,707 new Covid-19 cases each day, according to data collected by Johns Hopkins University. Fourteen states saw an uptick of at least 10% in cases over the past week compared to the previous week, the data shows.

Hospitals are already feeling the impact
About 68,900 Americans are hospitalized with Covid-19, according to data from the US Department of Health and Human Services. More than 20% of all ICU beds in use are occupied with Covid-19 patients, the data shows.
California health officials said Friday they were seeing hospitalization numbers begin to trend upward, stressing the need for vaccinations and booster vaccines. In New York, officials said they're seeing the highest hospitalization rate they've recorded in months, with Gov. Kathy Hochul noting that the staff shortages will weigh into potential new restrictions. On Thursday, New York state had the highest single-day count of new cases with 21,027, according to data released Friday. Dr. Marc Gorelick, who heads Children's Minnesota hospital, said the facility is already struggling to cope with the numbers. When you're on top of a surge where you're already at 90%, 95% capacity, those extra ... preventable Covid patients coming in are the thing that pushes the system to the brink. And that's what we're seeing here in Minnesota," Gorelick told CNN's Kate Bolduan on Friday. It got so bad that hospital leaders in Minnesota took out a full-page newspaper ad this week to say they were overwhelmed by the pandemic. "It feels like you are drinking from a fire hose with no way to control that flow," Dr. John Hick, an emergency physician at Hennepin Healthcare in Minnesota, told reporters Tuesday. "I have been practicing for 25 years in the emergency department, and every shift I am working these days is like the worst shift in my career." In Oregon, officials forecast a grim early 2022. "We can expect a surge in Oregon hospitalizations by mid-January, with infections that begin sooner than that," said Dr. Peter Graven, a data scientist for Oregon Health and Science University. "Combined with its heightened transmissibility, we expect Omicron will generate a large increase in the number of Oregonians that will become severely ill and likely need a hospital."

Restrictions are making a swift return in some states
The US has fully vaccinated just over 61% of its total population, with about 29% receiving a booster dose, according to the latest CDC data. And as Omicron's spreads, some officials have moved to reinstate restrictions. In Maryland, Prince George's County Public Schools will shift to remote learning beginning December 20 through January 18 due to "the stark rise in COVID-19 cases throughout (their) school system," according to a Friday statement from the school district's Chief Executive Officer Monica Goldson. The University of Maryland canceled its winter commencement ceremonies, noting that all social gatherings on campus where mask wearing could not be strictly enforced should follow suit. Final exams will be conducted in person, but students and faculty will be required to wear a university-provided KN95-rated mask, it said. Michigan State University and New York's Hofstra University both said Friday that students and staff will be required to have booster shots for start of the spring semesters. In Hawaii, a ceremony that was slated to celebrate the end of the state's National Guard's Joint Task Force on Covid-19 was canceled, and the governor's office said the task force is being reestablished due to Omicron.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: December 18, 2021 18:58

Nate
daspyknows
Nate

Nate

Best news of the pandemic were vaccines, but too many covidiots prefer horse de-wormer. Nate seems to think he is a scientist in the same league as Scot Atlas.

Of course I do not think of myself as any expert in science or medicine.If you listen to people who do properly study these subjects then many will still have different views and some of those people are indeed saying that omicron could very well be the beginning of the end of the pandemic which if true then would certainly be the best news of the pandemic so far.

Nate

Like who? I have yet to hear ANYONE besides you and some covid deniers say that Omicron is a GOOD thing.

Date: December 18, 2021 19:27

daspyknows
Nate
daspyknows
Nate

Nate

Nate

Like who? I have yet to hear ANYONE besides you and some covid deniers say that Omicron is a GOOD thing.

There are a number of medical professionals saying that the vast majority of people infected with omicron are so far showing extremely mild symptoms including Dr Angelique Coetzee who has been dealing with omicron patients since the variant first emerged in South Africa.It is common knowledge that not always but usually pandemics end in this way with a much more transmissible but less deadly variant at the end and so far omicron is looking like a very good candidate for that role.

By the way it is obviously impossible to say that omicron is a good thing whilst at the same time being a denier of covid.

Nate

Date: December 18, 2021 19:54

Nate
daspyknows
Nate
daspyknows
Nate

Nate

Nate

There are a number of medical professionals saying that the vast majority of people infected with omicron are so far showing extremely mild symptoms including Dr Angelique Coetzee who has been dealing with omicron patients since the variant first emerged in South Africa.It is common knowledge that not always but usually pandemics end in this way with a much more transmissible but less deadly variant at the end and so far omicron is looking like a very good candidate for that role.

By the way it is obviously impossible to say that omicron is a good thing whilst at the same time being a denier of covid.

Nate

I just heard a doctor from UK being interviewed who said just the opposite. They said reason it seems to be less severe is younger and vaccinated people are getting it who tend to have better outcomes. Under no circumstance can a virus spreading me a good thing. Doesn't matter, you do you. You have been anti-mask, against precautions for months.

Date: December 18, 2021 20:07

daspyknows
Nate
daspyknows
Nate
daspyknows
Nate

Nate

Nate

Nate

I just heard a doctor from UK being interviewed who said just the opposite. They said reason it seems to be less severe is younger and vaccinated people are getting it who tend to have better outcomes. Under no circumstance can a virus spreading me a good thing. Doesn't matter, you do you. You have been anti-mask, against precautions for months.

Yes, I heard the same thing. Everything at the moment is pure speculation until we see this in the rearview mirror a bit further.

What we know is that it is almost as communicable as measles, which is not good. And EVEN if the outcome is less severe, the fact that so many people will get it also means that you'll still have an overwhelming of systems.

PLUS, we don't know if there'll be long term impacts, like with other variants.

PLUS, there is now a higher possibility of more variants if so many more people are getting it.

Almost 170000 cases in the US yesterday with almost 1700 deaths.

One thing I think is for sure, is that omicron so far isn't a 'positive' sign and extrapolating that from what a few people are saying anecdotally in terms of less severe symptoms is totally premature...as is any clicking of the heels in delight.

Date: December 18, 2021 20:26

Where is the evidence to show that omicron is at least as deadly as delta?
Here in the U.K. apparently 9 people have died from omicron so far but yet again we are not informed if these people had multiple health issues in the first place and if Covid actually killed them or they were infected with it when dying from something else.

These restrictions have now gone on for far too long and it must stop.People should not be having their lives curtailed in order to give 90 year olds another year or two of playing bingo in a care home.

Nate

Date: December 18, 2021 20:31

Nate
Here in the U.K. apparently 9 people have died from omicron so far but yet again we are not informed if these people had multiple health issues in the first place and if Covid actually killed them or they were infected with it when dying from something else.

These restrictions have now gone on for far too long and it must stop.People should not be having their lives curtailed in order to give 90 year olds another year or two of playing bingo in a care home.

Nate

You only have anecdotal info...so all I'm saying is that you're premature.

But then, maybe you get that observation all the time?

Date: December 18, 2021 21:09

How can it be premature to look at the only evidence available to date.It is premature to say that omicron is equally as deadly as delta when you don’t have any evidence yet to show that is the case.

Nate

Date: December 18, 2021 21:24

Nate
How can it be premature to look at the only evidence available to date.It is premature to say that omicron is equally as deadly as delta when you don’t have any evidence yet to show that is the case.

Nate

It's premature to come to a conclusion based on early evidence. You're speculating, and you may be right, but you also may be wrong.

I'm not saying it's as deadly on a percentage basis, but what I did say was that if you have an overwhelmingly higher number of cases because of communicability of the virus, your death numbers could also increase correspondingly.

THOUGH, we don't know, because it's too early.

You're coming to conclusions based on a few anecdotal observations, which may bear out...or, you could be totally wrong.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 18, 2021 21:24

Just a few of todays headlines...out of control....

- The Netherlands will impose strict lockdown measures to curb Omicron spread, prime minister says

- More than 5,000 new coronavirus cases reported in NYC, according to mayor

- UK reports more than 90,000 daily new infections for 2 days in a row

- Paris cancels New Year’s Champs-Elysées fireworks display

- London mayor declares "major incident" as Omicron variant surges in UK capital

- New York state reports highest single-day Covid-19 case count since the beginning of the pandemic

-------------------------------------------------

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: December 18, 2021 21:28

Strict lockdown in the Netherlands - starting tomorrow - till January 14th - or longer.
The number of infections with Omicron doubles every two days.
This will be a hard winter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-18 21:35 by MAF.

Date: December 18, 2021 21:33

treaclefingers
Nate

Nate

It's premature to come to a conclusion based on early evidence. You're speculating, and you may be right, but you also may be wrong.

I'm not saying it's as deadly on a percentage basis, but what I did say was that if you have an overwhelmingly higher number of cases because of communicability of the virus, your death numbers could also increase correspondingly.

THOUGH, we don't know, because it's too early.

You're coming to conclusions based on a few anecdotal observations, which may bear out...or, you could be totally wrong.

I did not say it is definitely coming to an end.I did say that it looks like it could be a possibility that the pandemic could end with the omicron variant and the evidence so far would suggest it is a milder form of the disease.

Nate

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: December 18, 2021 21:38

London again declares a state of emergency

Date: December 18, 2021 21:41

MAF
London again declares a state of emergency

well, according to Nate this could be the beginning of some very good news.

Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: December 18, 2021 21:46

MAF
Strict lockdown in the Netherlands - starting tomorrow - till January 14th - or longer.
The number of infections with Omicron doubles every two days.
This will be a hard winter.

Very scary news. It might only be a matter of time before other countries also lockdown. [apnews.com]

Date: December 18, 2021 21:52

Most scary is what restrictions will be implemented and for how long. The leaders don't want to take risks with the hospital capacities in case of a surge, but how many of them have actually used the past year to invest in an increased ICU capacity for their people? Money well spent, if society's wheels can be kept turning.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 18, 2021 22:02

It is a misunderstanding that Omicron is harmless.

The biggest problem is the fact that Omicron has been proven to be 5x more contagious vs Delta, which is already very contagious. This means five times as many people will get infected. Then run the exponential mathematics, the R factor is five - 5 - times higher, Omicron+Delta numbers in January 2022 will be massive unless dramatic measures are done now.

Then it does not matter if Omicron is 20% or 30% more or less harmless. Far to many will need intensive care at the same time, no hospitals have endless capacity, and nurses and intensive care medics are already very tired after soon two years of pandemic.

The large numbers of non-vaccinated people getting either Delta or Omicron over the next weeks are the reason why countries go into some sort of lock down now. Two pandemic in a deadly race, especially for the non-vaccinated.

Bjornulf

Date: December 18, 2021 22:12

Nate

Nate

You have been against lockdown, masks, spewing that Covid isn't killing people, life is killing people etc since day 1.

It will go away on its own, just like earth as a planet will. It will just take time and everyone on this site will be long gone way before it happens.

Posted by: calipachangero ()
Date: December 18, 2021 22:18

And the fear mongering goes on and on...
This Pandemic has gotten some of us in a constant state of Shock and neurosis. Get a grip for Godsakes!

Date: December 18, 2021 22:23

I am not sure there is a consensus about how dangerous Omicron is, so better be safe than sorry. Looking at the statistics, many countries that have more than 90% vaccination rates for those over 50, are still facing restrictions. It's a sad state. I will be hoping Omicron is mild and will help bring the pandemic to an end.

Date: December 18, 2021 22:42

daspyknows
Nate

Nate

You have been against lockdown, masks, spewing that Covid isn't killing people, life is killing people etc since day 1.

It will go away on its own, just like earth as a planet will. It will just take time and everyone on this site will be long gone way before it happens.

Show me one example of when I've ever said covid doesn't kill people.
We went into a lockdown here in the U.K. around this time last year and for the following three months even though I have friends who live nearby I did not see any of them or go anywhere aside from work and the food store.I did that not because the government told me to but because at that time people had not had a chance to have the vaccine.Now vaccines are available to whoever wants one at least for those fortunate enough to live in richer countries and I refuse to comply with restrictions in order to save lives of those who deny themselves the chance to take it.I very strongly believe it is a personal choice what someone wishes to put into their own body but I personally couldn't care less if they live or die.

Nate

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 18, 2021 23:25

Last week we got our new corona rules.......

Infection went down from 20.005 to 15.202 per day.
Infected people in Hospitals went down 18,4 %
Infected people on IC's went down 8,6 %

And today they decide for a total lock down ?????? I'm lost

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: December 19, 2021 00:00

Brian May of Queen tests positive for COVID. Last year he was very near death when doctors found three blocked arteries stopping the supply of blood to his heart.

[uk.news.yahoo.com]

Date: December 19, 2021 15:11

daspyknows
Nate
daspyknows
Nate

Nate

Nate

I'm not a covid denier, I am vaxxed. We cannot fight mother nature though. If the homo sapiens keeps behaving like we do, and I see no reason why he wouldn't, the light at the end of the tunnel is coming from a huge train.That's what nobody wants to talk about. But then it's easy for me to speak: I have maybe 15 years more to live and no children.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...317318319320321322323324325326327...LastNext
Current Page: 322 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1216
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home