Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...316317318319320321322323324325326...LastNext
Current Page: 321 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 16, 2021 09:17

COVID-19 is a SARS.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 16, 2021 21:43

Covid-19 is raging across the US, with a surge in cases and hospitalizations causing new disruptions

Covid19

Covid-19 infections and hospitalizations are rising once again, prompting a new wave of cancellations and disruptions as the country prepares for another pandemic holiday season.
The US is now averaging 118,717 new Covid-19 cases each day -- 40% higher than a month ago -- according to data from Johns Hopkins University, and 1,326 Covid-19 deaths are being reported each day on average. That's a 12% increase compared to a month prior. In response, some colleges and universities are moving to online classes and exams while multiple Broadway shows are canceling performances and professional sports leagues are postponing games.

Coronavirus hospitalizations also continue to climb, having now trended upward for more than two months as hospitals across the country face staffing shortages. According to the US Department of Health and Human Services, 67,306 are hospitalized with Covid-19, 40% higher than a month ago. Beds in intensive care units are 78% full, and one in five of those patients are Covid-19 patients. "The cases are going up," Dr. Anthony Fauci told CNN's Wolf Blitzer on Wednesday night. "We have an average of about 117,000 cases. We have an increase the percentage of hospitalizations. Deaths are still over a thousand. Then you have, looking over your shoulder, the Omicron variant, which we know, from what's going on in South Africa and in the UK, is a highly transmissible virus." The upticks come as the Omicron variant -- which scientists believe to be more contagious, though most cases so far appear to be mild -- is identified in a growing number of US states.

Experts including Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, have said it is likely the Omicron variant will become the dominant strain, though the US continues to struggle with the Delta variant. "Certainly, what it is showing us in other countries, and I believe soon in our own country ... is that it has an extraordinary ability to transmit efficiently and spread," Facui told ABC's "Good Morning America" Thursday. "It has what we call a doubling time of about three days," he said, adding that, "if you do the math on that ... very soon it's going to be the dominant variant." "We've seen that in South Africa, we're seeing it in the UK, and I'm absolutely certain that's what we're going to be seeing here relatively soon," he said. Dr. Jeanne Marrazzo, a professor of infectious diseases at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, agreed. Based on what's happening in the UK, she said, "we are almost certainly going to be in for what we're seeing already, which is an early surge, or I should say an early stage of the surge that is probably going to be informed by Omicron." Health officials are highlighting the importance for Covid-19 vaccines and boosters. While there's "no doubt" vaccinated individuals will be infected by Omicron, Fauci told Blitzer, "if you want to be optimally protected and you're vaccinated, get boosted."

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 16, 2021 22:14

THE AGE --- 17 December 2021

ROCKMAN

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: December 16, 2021 23:29

It was 88,376 today Rockee. Rising exponentially but hospitalisation and deaths aren’t going up yet, except in London. But it’s early days and there isn’t enough data yet.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Date: December 16, 2021 23:35

Oh dear .... Ten thousand increase ....

Stay Safe ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: December 17, 2021 00:36

But but but Rockeeeee, what about the Cancelled Python? (Slightly more on topic, our cases are doubling every 2-3 days, holidays are being cancelled, and I just had 2 f@ckwits in front of me in the liquor store without masks. People are the worst…) Back to the Pythons… what?

Date: December 17, 2021 01:05

Liquor store .... safer ta get it dropped at ya door ... hick!!!!

ROCKMAN

Date: December 17, 2021 01:29

Rockman
Oh dear .... Ten thousand increase ....

Stay Safe ....

It was a 20,000 increase the day before. We could be on for the big ton tomorrowsad smiley. A good few weekend football matches are already off due to players testing positive. S**t times. And loud shouty maskless f###wits are not rare here either.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 17, 2021 07:55

I think a lot of people here are opting out of office parties and pub or restaurant outings so that they can safely visit family over Christmas.

Date: December 17, 2021 08:39

Hairball
Covid-19 is raging across the US, with a surge in cases and hospitalizations causing new disruptions

Covid19

Covid-19 infections and hospitalizations are rising once again, prompting a new wave of cancellations and disruptions as the country prepares for another pandemic holiday season.
The US is now averaging 118,717 new Covid-19 cases each day -- 40% higher than a month ago -- according to data from Johns Hopkins University, and 1,326 Covid-19 deaths are being reported each day on average. That's a 12% increase compared to a month prior. In response, some colleges and universities are moving to online classes and exams while multiple Broadway shows are canceling performances and professional sports leagues are postponing games.

Coronavirus hospitalizations also continue to climb, having now trended upward for more than two months as hospitals across the country face staffing shortages. According to the US Department of Health and Human Services, 67,306 are hospitalized with Covid-19, 40% higher than a month ago. Beds in intensive care units are 78% full, and one in five of those patients are Covid-19 patients. "The cases are going up," Dr. Anthony Fauci told CNN's Wolf Blitzer on Wednesday night. "We have an average of about 117,000 cases. We have an increase the percentage of hospitalizations. Deaths are still over a thousand. Then you have, looking over your shoulder, the Omicron variant, which we know, from what's going on in South Africa and in the UK, is a highly transmissible virus." The upticks come as the Omicron variant -- which scientists believe to be more contagious, though most cases so far appear to be mild -- is identified in a growing number of US states.

Experts including Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, have said it is likely the Omicron variant will become the dominant strain, though the US continues to struggle with the Delta variant. "Certainly, what it is showing us in other countries, and I believe soon in our own country ... is that it has an extraordinary ability to transmit efficiently and spread," Facui told ABC's "Good Morning America" Thursday. "It has what we call a doubling time of about three days," he said, adding that, "if you do the math on that ... very soon it's going to be the dominant variant." "We've seen that in South Africa, we're seeing it in the UK, and I'm absolutely certain that's what we're going to be seeing here relatively soon," he said. Dr. Jeanne Marrazzo, a professor of infectious diseases at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, agreed. Based on what's happening in the UK, she said, "we are almost certainly going to be in for what we're seeing already, which is an early surge, or I should say an early stage of the surge that is probably going to be informed by Omicron." Health officials are highlighting the importance for Covid-19 vaccines and boosters. While there's "no doubt" vaccinated individuals will be infected by Omicron, Fauci told Blitzer, "if you want to be optimally protected and you're vaccinated, get boosted."

I am sitting on a fence about Fauci's position - and I don't mean what he means. A lot of people want to just pain it black about the evil vax etc while others, which I suppose could be safely called a majority, are all Jumpin' Jack Flash about it. In the face of freedom and liberty, well, isn't that truly just tumbling dice?

Date: December 17, 2021 13:33

Green Lady
I think a lot of people here are opting out of office parties and pub or restaurant outings so that they can safely visit family over Christmas.

That's what I'm doing. Our office meal was meant to be today but it's off. Tomorrow I get my booster in Oxford, more than 20 miles away. But any port in a storm.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 17, 2021 15:33

A Covid-19 'viral blizzard' is about to hit the US, expert says, with 'millions' to be infected soon

Covid19

The coronavirus will hit millions of Americans in a "viral blizzard" within a few weeks as infections from the Omicron variant pile on top of Delta, an expert predicts. Already, hospitalizations are rising as the holiday season gets into full swing. Long lines for Covid-19 testing formed Thursday in metro areas, including New York, Boston and Miami. The Delta variant remains a problem. And Omicron, with its high transmissibility, could strike millions more soon, said Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota. "We're really just about to experience a viral blizzard," Osterholm told CNN's Erin Burnett on Thursday. "In the next three to eight weeks, we're going to see millions of Americans are going to be infected with this virus, and that will be overlaid on top of Delta, and we're not yet sure exactly how that's going to work out." Omicron will cause a serious strain on the health care system as more workers will likely get sick, Osterholm said, even though most cases from Omicron seem to be mild. "What you have here right now is a potential perfect storm," Osterholm said. "I've been very concerned about the fact that we could easily see a quarter or a third of our health care workers quickly becoming cases themselves."
Other troubling signs include:

- Colleges and universities are returning to online learning.
- Sports leagues are postponing games due to players testing positive.
- Broadway shows are canceling performances.

Andy Slavitt, a former senior pandemic adviser to President Joe Biden, said that while tools such as vaccines are now available rather than during last winter's surge, "a very rough January" lies ahead due to Omicron."For the health care workers, the hospitals, for people who are sick, even sick with things other than Covid, that represents a real danger and a real threat," Slavitt told CNN's Don Lemon on Thursday. Getting vaccinated or boosted remains key as millions of Americans get ready for holiday travel. Recent lab studies of blood taken from vaccinated people and exposed to Omicron showed the variant can evade some protection offered by two doses of Moderna's Covid-19 vaccine, but a booster dose restores much of that immunity, researchers reported Wednesday. The Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine has shown similar results.

On Thursday, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention changed its recommendations for Covid-19 vaccines to make clear that shots made by Moderna and Pfizer/BioNTech are preferred over Johnson & Johnson's vaccine. The daily rate of vaccinations is up around 22% from a month prior, according to CDC data, with more than half being booster doses. At the current pace, it will take more than two months for at least half of adults to get a Covid-19 booster, according to a CNN analysis of CDC data. Biden said Thursday that vaccinations and boosters are essential to keeping businesses and holiday gatherings safe. "For the unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death," he said. "But there's good news if you're vaccinated and you have your booster shot, you're protected from severe illness and death."

Date: December 17, 2021 20:45

I am vaxxed, but vaccines are not really the solution. They only delay the problems the human race has created. Too many people wanting too much in this world and it's only getting worse. I posted this before and saw it coming begin this year.

Next week monday our beloved president is going to announce more restrictions.

Merry Xmas everybody.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-17 20:52 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 17, 2021 21:04

Vaccine is indeed the solution. If i.e. when covid-19 is going into the entire population then there are two ways of handling it:

a). No restrictions, up to 1% of the population will die, and the heath system will collapse
b). Restrictions, vaccine, hospitals may still do other essential work, not just covid-19

Thousands of highly needed surgery bookings are now cancelled in my area, because non-vaccinated covid-19 patients are taking up 60% of all intensive care space. We have 220 death from covid-19 per million population in Norway. USA have 2,400 deaths per million. It is all about control, and respect of human life.

Countries with none or few restrictions will have a tough time when Omicron and Delta pass through the population the next couple of months. Being too late with restrictions this time will be fatal.

Bjornulf

Date: December 17, 2021 21:10

Omicron more likely to reinfect than Delta, no milder -study (Reuters)

"Controlling for vaccine status, age, sex, ethnicity, asymptomatic status, region and specimen date, Omicron was associated with a 5.4-fold higher risk of reinfection compared with Delta."

The study involved AstraZeneca and Pfizer vaccines. Depending on the estimates used for vaccine effectiveness against symptomatic infection from the Delta variant, this translates into vaccine effectiveness of between 0% and 20% after two doses, and between 55% and 80% vaccine effectiveness after a booster dose.

Bjornulf

Date: December 17, 2021 21:28

I would like to share some experiences about covid-19, from my 3-months travel in USA, and from before I went, and after I arrived home to Norway.

Norway stopped recommending masks June 15, i.e. seven months ago. The vaccination rate was very high, and the pandemic was under control. I left for the tour in August. By then nobody used masks in Norway. Our government declared the pandemic being over September 24. No more need of distance, no masks, large crowds no problem.

USA travel during Sept, Oct, Nov: Masks in all airports, flights, shops, restaurants, hotels, all over, all states.

Then, as I walked out of my last flight back home, Oslo airport, no masks anywhere in the airport terminal, and Christmas parties were soon taking over all restaurants. Vikings do know how to party and drink. No limits. No worries.

The virus just love no rules and regulations. Now we have record numbers of Delta, and Omicron is on the rise, a fast one. They say we will have two separate pandemics around.

Last week we new rules and regulations, alcohol ban in bars and restaurants, no more crowds and large parties, and masks are everywhere. Hospitals are filling up with non-vaccinated people being critically ill. Even if they are just 10% of the age 18 and up population, when a lot of then get covid-19 at the same time, it is getting out of control. Hopefully we did not close down too late.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: December 17, 2021 21:37

bv
Omicron more likely to reinfect than Delta, no milder -study (Reuters)

"Controlling for vaccine status, age, sex, ethnicity, asymptomatic status, region and specimen date, Omicron was associated with a 5.4-fold higher risk of reinfection compared with Delta."

The study involved AstraZeneca and Pfizer vaccines. Depending on the estimates used for vaccine effectiveness against symptomatic infection from the Delta variant, this translates into vaccine effectiveness of between 0% and 20% after two doses, and between 55% and 80% vaccine effectiveness after a booster dose.

What is the point of headlines saying no milder when by their own admission they don't have enough data yet to make that claim.

Nate

Date: December 18, 2021 01:04

Everything known so far about omicron points towards it being the best news of the pandemic.It is high time that society opens up completely and the virus really gets flying then the pandemic really will be over within a few months.

Nate

Date: December 18, 2021 01:24

Nate
Everything known so far about omicron points towards it being the best news of the pandemic.It is high time that society opens up completely and the virus really gets flying then the pandemic really will be over within a few months.

Nate

I'll ask God if he agrees on that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-18 01:25 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: December 18, 2021 01:31

Nate

Nate
What utter bollocks.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 18, 2021 01:37

Omicron = sniffles....meh.

Date: December 18, 2021 01:39

TheflyingDutchman
Nate

Nate

I'll ask God if he agrees on that.

One day you will hopefully wake up and realise that you have wasted your entire existence believing in something that doesn’t exist.

Nate

Date: December 18, 2021 01:40

yorkshirestone
Nate

Nate
What utter bollocks.

Got evidence that says otherwise?

Nate

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 18, 2021 01:43

Nate

Nate

And if not, it will takes years and years to defeat it...............

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: December 18, 2021 01:55

I could ask you the same question. ‘Everything points to it being the best news of the pandemic’ is a laughably childish viewpoint and totally unevidenced. Basic maths - higher transmissibility, more cases, more hospitalisations, more health system pressure ( in mid January, a time when the nhs is usually at maximum capacity anyway). But hey, let anyone with waning vaccine immunity, other health issues etc just get it - that’s a humane solution. Btw if you looked at the evidence (which you clearly haven’t) the proportion of critical care beds in the uk should factor in to your thinking, far less per 100k population than Germany, etc. Assume you’re happy to see friends, family and neighbours treated in tents in hospital car parks- most of us (thankfully) wouldn’t be

Date: December 18, 2021 02:21

yorkshirestone
I could ask you the same question. ‘Everything points to it being the best news of the pandemic’ is a laughably childish viewpoint and totally unevidenced. Basic maths - higher transmissibility, more cases, more hospitalisations, more health system pressure ( in mid January, a time when the nhs is usually at maximum capacity anyway). But hey, let anyone with waning vaccine immunity, other health issues etc just get it - that’s a humane solution. Btw if you looked at the evidence (which you clearly haven’t) the proportion of critical care beds in the uk should factor in to your thinking, far less per 100k population than Germany, etc. Assume you’re happy to see friends, family and neighbours treated in tents in hospital car parks- most of us (thankfully) wouldn’t be

The evidence so far suggests omicron is a mild infection.There is no emergency the situation is nowhere near what it was when Covid got going in Europe and people were dying in hospital corridors in Italy due to lack of beds.I have known about 20 members of family and friends who have had Covid in the last month none of which even required a visit to the doctors let alone the emergency ward.

The fact is that Covid is a mild illness for the vast majority of infected individuals who at worst will be sat at home feeling a little rough for a few days.It is time to hand back freedoms to people that have been stolen and if that means that some people have to sacrifice a further year or two of life playing bingo in a care home then so be it.

Nate

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: December 18, 2021 02:49

Nate

Nate

Best news of the pandemic were vaccines, but too many covidiots prefer horse de-wormer. Nate seems to think he is a scientist in the same league as Scot Atlas.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 18, 2021 06:37

GasLightStreet
Hairball

Covid19

I am sitting on a fence about Fauci's position - and I don't mean what he means. A lot of people want to just pain it black about the evil vax etc while others, which I suppose could be safely called a majority, are all Jumpin' Jack Flash about it. In the face of freedom and liberty, well, isn't that truly just tumbling dice?

All I know is if you don't get the vaccine you'll end up with ventilator blues and we'll all miss you. I'm sure someone'll come on by to help us with an emotional rescue.

Date: December 18, 2021 06:49

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
Hairball

Covid19

All I know is if you don't get the vaccine you'll end up with ventilator blues and we'll all miss you. I'm sure someone'll come on by to help us with an emotional rescue.

Oh I'm getting lined up all down the line on Monday.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 18, 2021 06:52

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
Hairball

Covid19

Oh I'm getting lined up all down the line on Monday.

so boring. think i'll get my rocks off on monday.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...316317318319320321322323324325326...LastNext
Current Page: 321 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1597
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home